PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Red by Daniel Woodrell

calichix
10-18-2005, 01:03 AM
This book is supposed to have "done for the Ozarks what Raymond Chandler did for Los Angeles" and make my head spin with intrigue but so far it's just annoying. I hate it when writers do the avant-garde thing and use awkward language on purpose. It's supposed to be written from the perspective of a hobo from Arkansas but the writer does writing with an accent all wrong. It's like a really bad imitation of Mark Twain. It's exasperating. Maybe it'll get better cause the main characters are cute little ol' hobos. I am SO glad I went off on this tangent.

That Punk Kid You Love
10-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Its funny yet sad,nobody responds to your posts.

Paint_It_Black
10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm assuming that so far no one has anything relevant to say. For many of us that stops us from posting. You might want to adopt this policy yourself. The lack of replies (so far) is in no way a reflection of the quality of this poster, if that is what you are implying.

calichix
10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
aw, well, shoot. thanks pal. <3

Mota Boy
10-18-2005, 11:56 PM
I hate it when writers do the avant-garde thing and use awkward language on purpose. It's supposed to be written from the perspective of a hobo from Arkansas but the writer does writing with an accent all wrong.
Awkward language is why I've never been able to get past the first page of Trainspotting - how does he write the accent? And in what part of Arkansas does the book take place? I imagine that all the places interesting enough to make a good book would be too poor to support a hobo.