PDA

View Full Version : well, i screwed myself good this time.

Endymion
10-19-2005, 10:58 PM
so i did my afm scans last week, right? and the report is due tomorrow, right? well, somehow i guess i didn't attach my data to the email i sent to myself. thus, no report writing. no image processing. hm. most likely course of action: get to school VERY early tomorrow (7:00am), get the data using the key to the afm lab that's kept in a locker, and doing my processing before my 9:30am class. write the report after that class, which gets out an hour prior to the time the report is due.

likelihood of this working: 65%

things to my advantage: the scan was only two images = not much processing, i use a better program than the one that came with the probe (nanoscope), i use something called gwyddion which allows for somewhat faster data processing, i already have the highest grade in the class (not that it matters much), the reports involve very terse writing--they're mostly the images.
things working against me: my prof for the 9:30 class is a nazi and usually keeps us there the full class time, i get migraines if i don't eat somewhat regularly meaning i'll likely have to at least get a snack sometime after that class before working on the report, i'm not positive that the physics building is opened up at 7:00am.

Mota Boy
10-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Do you have to go to your 9:30 class? I'm thinking of skipping my 9:30 just because I've been out tonight checking out local bands and drinking.

Endymion
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
hm... maybe. we tend to cover a lot of material, but there was a midterm on monday and he's the type of guy who'd spend the whole session going over it. i might at least be able to skip out on the lab part (so i'd be out by ~10:30). or i could skip it outright and ask someone for notes, but he like to have graded labs all the time, so i might get screwed there. i do have a somewhat nice grade in there (a or b, not sure), so missing one lab probably won't hurt much. i could turn my report in a day late for... uh... i think 10% off, but that wouldn't hurt my grade in the afm class much at all (my reports thus far have been 95%'s)

Mota Boy
10-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Or talk to your professor? That's always a long shot, but pleading might work. Send an e-mail to him/her right now explaining your situation, then still do what you've already planned, but talk to the prof before class if you can't pull it off.

Endymion
10-19-2005, 11:20 PM
yeah, with how nazi my 9:30 is i would probably suck more to miss class than have a late report for afm. and my prof for afm is really nice/understanding (though i'm sure she'd give me a talk about how stupid it was to put off doing the report until the night before AND not checking to make sure i had my data).

i'm gunna go listen to linkin park =/

Endymion
10-20-2005, 08:29 AM
the gods have smiled upon me today. my power-walk to campus brought me to the door of the physics building at exactly 7:00AM, where i found the enterance opened and inviting. i grab the key from the locker and head down to the lab. the data's right where it should be so i email it to myself and walk out, where i run into a grad student who is in the class with me and needed to use something in the lab, so i hand him the key and then head down toward the engineering department where i work (and have a nice computer). as i walked toward the lab i work in, the sky was beginning to brighten but the sun had yet to rise above the LA smog. the data analysis goes flawlessly (i've been here an hour and i've done both images already, i'm about to start writing the report). some images for you!
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/chef/100-3d-2.png
that's the large image, after i ran some scar-removals and flattened it (due to the technology that scans the sample, a lot of the time you get curves to the height of the data [non-linearities in the pizoelectrics]). note the data scale: 100micros by 100microns. that means 10,000 squares the size of this would fit on the nail of your little finger.
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/chef/30-3d-2.png
this is the smaller one, a bit less than 1/3 the size of the above (edge wise, 1/9th the area of the large one). more than one hundred thousand squares this size fit on the nail of your little finger. and this is about 50 times large (edge wise) than what the afm we have can do.

i posted 3d pics 'cause the rest of them are pretty boring, just depth analysis and the like.

Not Ozymandias
10-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Mmm, I'll screw yourself good this time.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm Chinese. I'd screw yourself long time.