PDA

View Full Version : Ammending the constitution so that people not born in the US can run for president

jimmyjimjimz
11-27-2004, 10:32 PM
What does everyone think about that?

Honestly, I think certian people not born in the US would make really good presidents, and certian people would make crappy presidents. For example:

Arnold Schwartzenegger: He's from Austria, the same country Adolf Hitler was from. He's not a politician or a political activist, he's an actor. He's a republican, but his wife is a democrat. His wife is somehow related to the Kennedys. Somehow he became governor of california. I really think he'd make a horrible president. But someone like Bono, from U2, would make a great president.

Bono: He's from Ireland. He may not be a politician, but he's kind of a political activist. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a song about a political protest they had in North Ireland, and the British killed about 13 people during the protest because they said it was against the law. Bono also helps out in Africa with the aids epidemic there. Bono put that What's Goin On? CD together back before 9/11 where the proceeds went to the aids relief fund in Africa. People say Bono's music can change the world. If his music can change the world, then he can change the world too.

I say, let people like Bono, who actually care about the world run. Not beefcake washed up actors like Arnold.

Bono for president in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let the Irish take over the White House.

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I dunno, man. Look at Peru and Alberto Fujimori. He was the most corrupt president Peru ever had, and then ran away back to Japan where he cannot be extradited to stand trial. I think amending the Constitution in this way might open up shelters for (further) abuse of office.

SicN Twisted
11-27-2004, 11:43 PM
I am against this ammendment because it would benefit Henry Kissinger and Arnold. I could not live under the presidency of either of these too, for obviously different reasons.

RXP
11-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Go for it. A leader from another cuntry might sort out the foreign policy shits init.

They should amend the constitution so that I become president. I'd sort the world out.

Vera
11-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Blah, no. The people shouldn't be represented by a foreigner.

lousyskater
11-28-2004, 04:41 AM
i'm all for it, but only if there is a very high minimum residency requirment.

wheelchairman
11-28-2004, 07:01 AM
Bono would make an awful president. Heavens no.

And I agree very much with Sic.

Not Ozymandias
11-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Reagan and the Bushes were born in America.

Restricting the foreign-born is ricockulous and un-American.

nieh
11-28-2004, 10:08 AM
I'd have no problem with them amending that, but I have a feeling that it would be a long long time before anyone born in another country got anywhere near winning the presidency even if we did, the voters would be too against it.

Not Ozymandias
11-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Right. Gov. Schwarzenegger is the only one who could do it, and he'd be in his 70's by the time an ammendment was passed.

How could anyone be against it?

The Cheshire Cat
11-28-2004, 12:08 PM
It's a pretty stupid amendment, since you can't possibly say that someone who lived one year of their life in France or Italy or somewhere then moved and lived the rest of their life in the States would have divided loyalties. However, it's not like you're running out of natural born-Americans, so there's not real drive to change it.

It's kind of funny though, Immigrants have to take a citizenship test. Native born Americans don't. So in a way Immigrants are actually more qualified to run the country than Americans are, since Immigrants had to learn enough about the country to pass a test.

Betty
11-28-2004, 12:10 PM
At this point in time it would most benefit Arnold... but it could just as easily work both ways...

I really don't have a strong opinion, but if you've lived in the US 75% of your life, you're probably pretty damn American.

wheelchairman
11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Arnold Schwartzenegger: He's from Austria, the same country Adolf Hitler was from.
Something about this bothers me. Like...how the fuck is that relevant? You're from the same city as the Son of Sam. Is that relevant as well?

SicN Twisted
11-28-2004, 01:13 PM
I do find the fact that you must be born in the US to be president to be very hypocritical in that we're a nation built on immigration. A foreign born child of immigrants who grows up in this country and lives as a real working class American who understands the world around him would be much more qualified to be president then an idiotic wealthy oil baron yalie like Bush or Kerry, who was educated mainly in Switzerland.

jimmyjimjimz
11-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Something about this bothers me. Like...how the fuck is that relevant? You're from the same city as the Son of Sam. Is that relevant as well?
lol no. That's not relevant. I was just trying to say that he came from the same place as Hitler, cause Hitler was a bad person. Maybe he'll have the same political ideas as Hitler. And, I'm not a disgruntled postal worker, so I'm not gonna end up being like the son of sam.

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 10:18 AM
lol no. That's not relevant. I was just trying to say that he came from the same place as Hitler, cause Hitler was a bad person. Maybe he'll have the same political ideas as Hitler. And, I'm not a disgruntled postal worker, so I'm not gonna end up being like the son of sam.
Well Hitler wasn't a body builder. All I'm saying is that's a stupidassfuck method of reasoning.

Vera
11-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah, for real. Austria is a place bad people come from? Wow, what a piece of logic there!

And you really don't know anything about what reasons are behind Hitler's beliefs and ideals. One of the reasons was the fact that he was Austrian, but for lord's sake, understand that the Austria Hitler grew up in and the Austria Schwarzenegger grew up in are very different places.

Also, I seriously doubt any Austrians celebrate Hitler as a fucking national hero. Therefore I doubt Arnold respects him either.

No, I think there are probably a huge bunch of reasons why to dislike him as a politician but him being from Austria because Hitler was from Austria certainly isn't one of them.

jimmyjimjimz
11-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah, for real. Austria is a place bad people come from? Wow, what a piece of logic there!

And you really don't know anything about what reasons are behind Hitler's beliefs and ideals. One of the reasons was the fact that he was Austrian, but for lord's sake, understand that the Austria Hitler grew up in and the Austria Schwarzenegger grew up in are very different places.

Also, I seriously doubt any Austrians celebrate Hitler as a fucking national hero. Therefore I doubt Arnold respects him either.

No, I think there are probably a huge bunch of reasons why to dislike him as a politician but him being from Austria because Hitler was from Austria certainly isn't one of them.
OK, I'll admit, that was a stupid thing to bring up.

Honestly, I think right now would not be a good time to ammend the constitution so that someone who wasn't born here can run for president. What happens if someone from Al Quadea runs for president, and no one knows he's a member of Al Quadea till after he's elected? That wouldn't be good.

wheelchairman
11-29-2004, 01:53 PM
And what fuckin' chances do Arabs or Wahhabists have of becoming president?

jimmyjimjimz
11-30-2004, 08:22 AM
And what fuckin' chances do Arabs or Wahhabists have of becoming president?
OK forget about what I said. It was stupid.

UgLy_eLf
12-01-2004, 11:39 PM
No, we already give immigrants enough benefits.

Noodles
12-15-2004, 12:12 AM
I think it would be great. Then we could elect somebody like Benny Hill or anybody from France. That would be awesome.

Julie
12-15-2004, 12:32 AM
^^Oui oui les Franšais^^

Sexy Panda
12-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Bono would make an awful president. Heavens no.

U2 are singlehandedly the most overrated band in the history of music. Bono is the devil.

I'm for the amendment. Not particularly because I want to see Arnie as president but more because it just seems like an odd thing. We don't have an equivalent in Australia so I guess from my perspective it just seems stupid.

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Currently the law states that you have to be 35 to run for President. They should simply change the law so that you must have been a US citizen for 35 years to run, and drop the part about being born here. It would require further restrictions, such as proving that the US has been your primary country of residence for the 35 years, and swearing that your total allegiance is to the US and no other country. That, I feel, would be a better system.

the original pyro
12-21-2004, 12:47 AM
americans would never elect someone with too thick of an accent or too dark of a skin anyway. sure, change the law.its in republican benefits and they have control of the house and senate. Its likely to happen in time for the Bush/Schwartzenneger ticket.

VerySarcasticGirl
12-24-2004, 10:25 AM
horrible idea

greencows12
12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
I think it shouldn't matter where the person is from, but they should be able to pass a test to be qualified to run and live in the usa for at least a few years, although I don't really care, because I don't care about presidents, unless I really don't like them (bush), then i'll encourage people to vote even though i'm an anarchist just to get them out of office.

Mannen som blev en gris
04-03-2005, 06:26 AM
I think Arnold, and all the other people not born in USA, should have the same chance as the ones born there. But it's hard, because if Arnold would run for president, a lot of, or all, of his fans would vote for him. So it's not fair since Bush doesn't have a lot of fans..... I mean, Arnold is an actor and has a lot of fans because of his acting (or bodybuilding) but let's say he actually would be a good president, he wouldn't be able to be elected because he's born in Austria, and most people would be against a constitution change. I bet a lot of people not born in USA would make good presidents. They should have the same chance as everyone else. Plus, how old was Arnold when he moved to US? 20? I don't know, but it was a long time ago (I think, you can't really tell of his accent...). Still, I don't live in USA.

There was actually a movie (can't remember the name though, it was with Sandra Bullock, Wesley Snipes and Sylvester Stallone) that took place in the future. And they were going to the Schwarzenegger-(don't know how it spells)Library. And she (Sandra Bullock) said it was named after the old president....

wheelchairman
04-03-2005, 06:59 AM
This coming from a guy who wants tougher punishments on crimes committed by foreigners.

Mannen som blev en gris
04-03-2005, 07:39 AM
It's not the same thing...The foreigners-thing was about people who weren't swedish citizens, but I think Arnold's atleast an american citizen.