PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of Dane Cook?

Smashing
10-24-2005, 01:36 PM
i think he's really funny. he got a new cd. you can go to his website:
www.danecook.com

Paint_It_Black
10-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Yeah, he's pretty funny. I'm bored with him these days though.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
10-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Who hasn't? He's hilarious. Him and Lewis Black are my favorite comedians.

Rag Doll
10-25-2005, 08:36 AM
He's my favorite comedian. That Dane Cook is a silly bitch. <33333

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm going to throw myself in the snake pit and admit I've never heard of him/her.

Paint_It_Black
10-25-2005, 08:53 AM
In that case, he'd be worth checking out. But he's funnier when you can actually see him.

Rag Doll
10-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Dane Cook is a snake.

go to www.danecook.com. listen to his clips. & i agree with PIB...he's funnier if you can see him.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Comedians on CDs are usually sub-par. The only exception I can think of is Jasper Carrott, because his comedy's almost purely vocal rather than physical.

coke_a_holic
09-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Anybody see Vicious Circle today? Fucking ownage! I had to watch it at my friend's house because I don't get HBO, but it was awesome.

"I want to have kids until my wife's vagina looks like the Stargate and kids just start coming out."

SkunkIt
09-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Dane Cook is funny. <3

T-6005
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I found Dane Cook to be the most amazingly boring comedian I'd ever seen after the first time I saw him. That was alright, but after it was just stupid and... well, stupid.

Endymion
09-04-2006, 10:50 PM
sarah silverman is always superior. i'm a big bob saget and gilbert gottfried fan too.

DeAtHsTaR
09-04-2006, 10:52 PM
i'm a big bob saget fan
Wow, no wonder you don't like good comedy.

Endymion
09-04-2006, 11:00 PM
way not to know that he's nothing like danny tanner.

"In comedy circles, there’s a famous Saget story about the night his first daughter was born. After a very difficult birth, during which Sherri Saget and her baby almost died, a friend showed up to find Mr. Saget looking utterly destroyed, unshaven, unrecognizable, but holding his newborn. 'Oh my God, Bob, she’s beautiful,' the friend said. 'For a dollar, you can finger her,' Mr. Saget replied."

HornyPope
09-04-2006, 11:06 PM
I caught few clips on youtube. I missed the funny.

DeAtHsTaR
09-04-2006, 11:11 PM
way not to know that he's nothing like danny tanner.

"In comedy circles, there’s a famous Saget story about the night his first daughter was born. After a very difficult birth, during which Sherri Saget and her baby almost died, a friend showed up to find Mr. Saget looking utterly destroyed, unshaven, unrecognizable, but holding his newborn. 'Oh my God, Bob, she’s beautiful,' the friend said. 'For a dollar, you can finger her,' Mr. Saget replied."

I can't imagine the faggot from AFV saying that.

Endymion
09-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I can't imagine the faggot from AFV saying that.

that's because you're a simple-minded buffoon.

DeAtHsTaR
09-04-2006, 11:16 PM
that's because you're a simple-minded buffoon.

No, because that fag is nervous and laughs a lot when he says something that no one finds funny.

Endymion
09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
No, because that fag is nervous and laughs a lot when he says something that no one finds funny.
you judge the guy based on two shows he was on but didn't write? very astute. why don't you see his stand up before you say he's not funny? he's well known as being one of the filthiest people in comedy.

DeAtHsTaR
09-04-2006, 11:52 PM
you judge the guy based on two shows he was on but didn't write? very astute. why don't you see his stand up before you say he's not funny? he's well known as being one of the filthiest people in comedy.

How come his stand up is never on tv or in the video store like most mainstream guys?

Endymion
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
because most "mainstream" guys don't talk about whoring out their newborn children? anyway, i don't think he's got a dvd. get out of the house, go to a club, experience real comedy.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2006, 12:13 AM
because most "mainstream" guys don't talk about whoring out their newborn children? anyway, i don't think he's got a dvd. get out of the house, go to a club, experience real comedy.

Yeah, I don't think that guy is coming to Klamath. Not to mention the only club here is for 21+ and apparently sucks anyways.

Endymion
09-05-2006, 12:16 AM
if you'd like to limit yourself to only the stuff with enough mass appeal that gets swept up in mass consumer capitalism and is available at blockbuster, suit yourself.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2006, 12:31 AM
if you'd like to limit yourself to only the stuff with enough mass appeal that gets swept up in mass consumer capitalism and is available at blockbuster, suit yourself.

Well how the hell am I supposed to see this "real" comedy when I'm not 21?? It's not like people actually come to this town either.

ninthlayer
09-05-2006, 03:59 AM
It's called the internet, check it out sometime. Simpleton fuck.

Rag Doll
09-05-2006, 06:01 AM
yeah, so, back to the awesomeness that is Dane Cook...

Vicious Circle was great. I want to see him live even more now though =\.

Mr. Noodles
09-05-2006, 07:03 AM
He's hilarious!

H1T_That
09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I never used to think he was funny, but just for nostalgia's sake i checked out some clips on youtube and they're pretty funny.

JoY
09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Dane Cook is a snake.

is this one of those "..on a plane!!!!11"-jokes?

never heard of him, but that's understandable.

Rag Doll
09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
is this one of those "..on a plane!!!!11"-jokes?

oddly enough, no. ;p

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Anybody see Vicious Circle today? Fucking ownage! I had to watch it at my friend's house because I don't get HBO, but it was awesome.

"I want to have kids until my wife's vagina looks like the Stargate and kids just start coming out."

Yeah, but I was disspointed. I probably only laughed or chuckled once every 5-8 minutes or so, but they were some parts where I couldn't stop laughing (like the dildo movie theatre one, which wasn't really that funny to begin with).

XYlophonetreeZ
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM

Damn guys, you need to watch some Carlos Mencia. That guy knows what's up.
I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Endymion
09-05-2006, 02:26 PM

oh dear lord. and that little "go to original post" button is amazing.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2006, 02:49 PM

While I do in fact like Carlos's comedy skits, I watch it for the political talk, and that's what I was referring to.

Endymion
09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
While I do in fact like Carlos's comedy skits, I watch it for the political talk, and that's what I was referring to.
mencia doesn't know shit, he's a fat blubbering retard. you're even worse for listening to him.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Wait, you watch Mencia to get your political fix? Oh dear God. That's even worse. That's so, so much worse.

Paint_It_Black
09-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Oh god, it was bad enough when you announced "Carlos Mencia know's what's up". This is terrible.

coke_a_holic
09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Let's talk more about funny people and less about Carlos Mencia.

0r4ng3
09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Um...uh...

About a week ago, I finally saw someone get hit by a car.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Um...uh...

About a week ago, I finally saw someone get hit by a car.

I love watching his movements in that segment.

All About Eve
09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
I love how "oh god" started off all the replies to Dain.

coke_a_holic
09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
"Oh yeah, every few weeks I empty the blood out of my own head, it's a tradition of my family. Has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy. I love getting struck by vehicles. Excuse me, I'm gonna go puke out shards of my pelvis."

H1T_That
09-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Dane Cook is a snake.

go to www.danecook.com. listen to his clips. & i agree with PIB...he's funnier if you can see him.

I just got this joke. Acid spit FTW.

H1T_That
09-06-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKUs7CT08mI

better than Dane Cook.

Apathy
09-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Carlos Mencia is a bitchnugget.

"Don't touch me you flavored beverage!"

Endymion
09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Carlos Mencia is a bitchnugget.
what the fuck does that mean?

ninthlayer
09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
It doesn't matter.

For a dollar I'll let you finger her.

RickyCrack
09-06-2006, 10:26 PM
And for two dollars she can finger you!

ninthlayer
09-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't remember that part of the joke.

H1T_That
09-07-2006, 06:07 AM
I don't remember that part of the joke.

What happened to Dimebag?

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 07:54 AM
What happened to Dimebag?

He got shot. :D

No you ass, the smiley does not mean I'm happy about a dead Dimebag.

randman21
09-07-2006, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKUs7CT08mI

better than Dane Cook.

Yes! Pablo Fransisco is one of my faves.

Todd Glass is another good 'un.

As well as Brian Reagan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVaNawuiUnc)

H1T_That
09-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Yes! Pablo Fransisco is one of my faves.

Todd Glass is another good 'un.

As well as Brian Reagan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVaNawuiUnc)

Pablo isn't overly funny. He's a better impressionist than Dane Cook, though.

Apathy
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
what the fuck does that mean?

Doesn't mean a darn thing.

However it is very fun to say.

Not Ozymandias
09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't know him, but I assume he's really lame if he's so popular.

"Carlos Mencia" fucking sucks. For Allah's sake, he isn't even Mexican, his fucking real name is NED.

nieh
09-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Remember back in the day when celebrities used to change their names to sound LESS ethnic (a la Ritchie Valens)?

Not Ozymandias
09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
But if he didn't pretend to be Mexican then he couldn't make (and by make, I mean steal old Richard Pryor jokes and replace "nigger" with "spic") spic jokes.

randman21
09-07-2006, 04:11 PM
He's half Mexican. That counts for something.

Not Ozymandias
09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
He's all unfunny.

His name is Ned.

randman21
09-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I must admit that when he said that on Carso...Schmarson Schmaly's talk show, I was taken aback. And a little put off. Like when I found out that Andy Milonakis is 30, 31.

ninthlayer
09-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Carso...Schmarson Schmaly's
You're a tryhard, stop posting/breathing.

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 04:34 PM
But if he didn't pretend to be Mexican then he couldn't make (and by make, I mean steal old Richard Pryor jokes and replace "nigger" with "spic") spic jokes.

So, he's Honduran and he grew up in a Mexican neighborhood. Not to mention he has 17 siblings, which is pretty Mexican.

0r4ng3
09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
17? Shit, how many were full siblings?

Edit: Um, that wasn't a race joke, I was wondering how many were born from the same two parents.

ninthlayer
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
So, he's Honduran and he grew up in a Mexican neighborhood. Not to mention he has 17 siblings, which is pretty Mexican.
So, I'm Mongolian and grew up in a Black neighborhood. Not to mention I have collection agencies after me, which is pretty Black.

randman21
09-07-2006, 04:45 PM
You're a tryhard, stop posting/breathing.

Be that as it may. I do try hard enough, however, to come up with an idea that hasn't been used ad nauseam. The old "go away and die" snap? Sir, you're embarrassing yourself and everyone who loves you.

ninthlayer
09-07-2006, 04:52 PM
That wasn't a snap, it was meant with all sincerity. But you admitted to be a tryhard, so it's kind of hard for you to attempt damage control.

So, with all sincerity: stop posting, tryhard.

randman21
09-07-2006, 05:15 PM
That wasn't a snap, it was meant with all sincerity. But you admitted to be a tryhard, so it's kind of hard for you to attempt damage control.

So, with all sincerity: stop posting, tryhard.

I think, when turtles "snap" at you, they mean it with the utmost sincerity. I never doubted your committment to the demand.

I tried hard. You said something dispiccably unoriginal. Let's not label ourselves. We're merely human.

Sorry, everyone.

ninthlayer
09-07-2006, 05:18 PM
You're horrible at damage control, tryhard. Stay down.

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 05:21 PM
So, I'm Mongolian and grew up in a Black neighborhood. Not to mention I have collection agencies after me, which is pretty Black.

Mongolians aren't anywhere near any "black" country, but Honduras is directly south of Mexico, and it's seperated by an amiginary line as both cultures are extremely similar. Down in Mexico, the wetbacks are from Honduras. (analogy, guys)

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 05:23 PM
17? Shit, how many were full siblings?

Edit: Um, that wasn't a race joke, I was wondering how many were born from the same two parents.
His mother is Mexican, his father is Honduran, but I have no idea how many were from the same two parents.

randman21
09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
You're horrible at damage control, tryhard. Stay down.

And you're horrible at whatever that was you just tried to do. I was trying (perhaps, too hard?) to suggest that maybe your hackneyed way of insulting me was a sleight of character. I guess it wasn't.

ninthlayer
09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Mongolians aren't anywhere near any "black" country, but Honduras is directly south of Mexico, and it's seperated by an amiginary line as both cultures are extremely similar. Down in Mexico, the wetbacks are from Honduras. (analogy, guys)
Doesn't change anything for little Neddy, just like playing the race card doesn't change anything for my white ass.

And you're horrible at whatever it is you're trying to do. I was trying (too hard, perhaps?) to suggest that maybe your hackneyed way of insulting me was a sleight of character. I guess it wasn't.
Are we playing the Tripboy/Linda game? Last word.

randman21
09-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Okay, Okay. I want to offer a truce. Pleeeease concede. I don't want to make this another "Baby Monkey!" thread.

P.S. I have no idea who neither Tripboy nor Linda is.

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Doesn't change anything for little Neddy, just like playing the race card doesn't change anything for my white ass.

But he's half Mexican too. You're not half black.

H1T_That
09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I think, when turtles "snap" at you, they mean it with the utmost sincerity. I never doubted your committment to the demand.

I tried hard. You said something dispiccably unoriginal. Let's not label ourselves. We're merely human.

Sorry, everyone.

Coincidently, it was probalby Sean that invented this put-down. So originality isn't a factor.

ninthlayer
09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Okay, Okay. I want to offer a truce. Pleeeease concede. I don't want to make this another "Baby Monkey!" thread.
Last word.

But he's half Mexican too. You're not half black.
Grew up in black neighborhood/collection agencies.

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Last word.

Grew up in black neighborhood/collection agencies.

Good point. I guess I'm Mexican since I used to live in San Antonio and I touched a Mexican chick at a party a few weeks ago.

Endymion
09-07-2006, 06:05 PM
spic
lolz .

Apathy
09-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Good point. I guess I'm Mexican since I used to live in San Antonio and I touched a Mexican chick at a party a few weeks ago.

Unless she was fat, then it'd make you black.

H1T_That
09-07-2006, 06:21 PM

I'm guessing neither are true.

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
I love you.

Apathy
09-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I love you.

... I don't usually get that from black people.

DeAtHsTaR
09-07-2006, 06:40 PM
... I don't usually get that from black people.
I would respond with some witty response, but I can't top that.

The first person to say "You have no wit" is gay.

0r4ng3
09-07-2006, 08:00 PM
The first person to say "You have no wit" is gay.
You have lots of wit, and I'm very insecure!

offspringis the best band
09-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Dane Cook really stunk up the joint that one time at the VMAs like 2 years ago.

Not Ozymandias
09-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I knew it.

Overcooked

With a big HBO deal, astronomical album sales and countless fans, Dane Cook may be the hottest comedian in years. So where is the laughter?

By Heather Havrilesky

Sept. 3, 2006 | Dane Cook looks pleased with himself. He's just arrived onstage in Boston as 18,000 people scream his name and all make a gesture with their hands that looks like a cross between the finger and the sign for "Rock on!"

"What's up?" Cook bellows into his microphone, and the crowd goes nuts.

"When you're in the wrong relationship, with somebody awful, I call that a relationshit." (Huge laugh.)

"Oh, and then you have that makeup sex. Guys, you know that makeup sex..." (Appreciative hooting and applause.)

"When I'm at the movies, I get so into it, that I talk to the screen?" (Clapping, laughing.)

"She must wash her vagina with a dirtier vagina." (Uproarious laughter.)

"We're all gonna lie, we're all gonna cry, and we're all gonna take painful shits." (Screaming, applause.)

If the crowd loves Cook, they're not the only ones. His performance, taped by HBO and named "Dane Cook Vicious Circle," will premiere Monday, Sept. 4 (9 p.m. EDT, check listings). This summer, HBO also aired "Tourgasm," a look behind the scenes at Cook's tour of the college circuit with three other stand-up comedians last year. And according to the Hollywood Reporter, Cook has a deal to develop a scripted series pilot for HBO, and HBO has exclusive rights to Cook's work in "all nontraditional media platforms."

Why is HBO forsaking more sophisticated programming like "Deadwood" for a glorified frat boy? Maybe because that frat boy is alarmingly popular, and represents a potential cash cow for the financially strapped cable channel. Cook's second comedy album, "Retaliation," hit the Billboard charts at No. 4, making it the highest charting comedy album since Steve Martin's "A Wild and Crazy Guy" in 1978. Cook's "Tourgasm" podcast has been at or near the top of the iTunes most downloaded list since it debuted in June. This October, Cook stars opposite Jessica Simpson in the comedy "Employee of the Month," and has been rumored to be seeing Simpson, perhaps a calculated move on the part of some wily publicist.

But Cook's "Tourgasm" series may be the biggest indication of just how far HBO is willing to swerve from its more traditional, more sophisticated fare for the sake of its bottom line. Cook brings three of his comedian friends, Robert Kelly, Gary Gulman and Jay Davis, on a cross-country tour of colleges, intent on capturing all of the high jinx and hilarity on camera. Unfortunately, the guys start to get on each other's nerves almost immediately, and instead of joking around about it, they end up yelling, stomping off and then talking trash about each other for days afterward. This isn't spirited bickering, mind you, it's a bunch of tense confrontations in restaurants where two guys yell at each other while everyone else stares glumly at their plates. Even when the group rents Segways, apparently to approximate some of the good-natured, boyish fun of "Jackass," the guys knock into each other, take awkward spills and seem annoyed afterward. At Niagara Falls, we're treated to several minutes of footage of the guys threatening to throw each other's hats into the falls. And during a game of touch football, Kelly falls, tearing a ligament. Where Johnny Knoxville might moan dramatically while his friends laugh and jeer, Kelly whimpers to Cook, "Hold my hand," and everyone looks palefaced and upset. Woo-hoo, good times!

To understand just how unbearable "Tourgasm" remains from start to finish, imagine a cross between Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" (except the jokes aren't all that funny and the comedians involved aren't that interesting or clever) and MTV's "Jackass" (except the teasing and physical pranks aren't that fun or dramatic and they end in angry recriminations, sulking and serious injuries). In short, "Tourgasm" may be the least worthwhile series ever to air on HBO -- "Arli$$" included.

So what explains Cook's popularity? His comedy is most notable for what it lacks: a critique of the political climate (Dennis Miller, George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher), a commentary on our culture (Chris Rock, David Chappelle), a slightly tweaked perspective (Ray Romano, Steven Wright, Jerry Seinfeld), outrageously dirty material (Eddie Murphy, Andrew Dice Clay), or just a goofy, oddball routine (Howie Mandel). Although his delivery can be chafingly smug, Cook doesn't present himself as anything special. He likes video games and chicks and sports and other general-purpose guy stuff. He's not particularly baffled by the world, or all that perceptive, or all that self-aware. He's a little self-deprecating, a little bit cutesy and a little bit aggressive, but most important, he treats mundane experiences like they're huge revelations: Breakup sex is the best, right? Right! Sometimes you have to lie to get out of stuff you don't want to do. I know you've done it, too, bro!

Even Cook's delivery isn't noteworthy or unique; he sprinkles "bro" and "dude" into every story, he's terrible at impressions and when he's imitating a woman, he inexplicably speaks in a high voice with a lisp, as if he's doing a homophobic imitation of a gay man.

But Cook's is the sort of non-threatening humor that appeals to people who, when watching Jon Stewart or Jerry Seinfeld, don't feel like they're in on the joke. With Cook, you're always in on the joke. Even if you've never been in a bad relationship or had breakup sex, you can just flash that "SuFi" and you're part of the club.

The SuFi, in fact, embodies the appeal of Dane Cook. Short for "Superfinger," it arose from a skit about Cook's quest for an upgraded version of giving someone the finger -- with the thumb, middle finger and ring finger extended. The emptiness of the gesture sums up the frat-boy camaraderie among Cook's fans, and his popularity among college students. In college, after all, jokes aren't really jokes at all, they're just code words for shared experiences. It's considered funny to refer to Burger King as "The BK Lounge" or to refer to a sandwich as a "sangwich" (we did this when I was in school, and Cook uses both terms often). And there's always a code for "You just got dissed!" (Burn, see ya, smell ya later, doh) and a code for "Rock on!" (sweet, dude, party, hell yeah).

Such multipurpose phrases are always vague, always applicable to almost any situation and always easy to understand when you're falling-down drunk. The content, in other words, is secondary to the fact that it's shared. Pretty much everything that goes on between Cook and the audience is just another way of saying, "I hear ya, bro!" Far from banal, this for Cook constitutes "a holy shit moment," as he puts it on his Web site. He and his crew are quite obviously aware of the appeal of such code words. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Robert Kelly remarks that, "If nothing else comes from 'Tourgasm,' the catchphrases are gonna be huge." (In case you're unfamiliar with how common such catchphrases are, the magazine hilariously refers to Kelly's "Hold my hand, man" as one.)

From his sloppy college kid look to his avoidance of anything political, cultural or remotely critical, Cook aims at appealing to those vast numbers of kids who haven't really developed any interests yet, and are most of all focused on having fun with a big group of people. While Seinfeld or Rock or Carlin or Miller react against the world, working themselves into a lather over just how idiotic and bizarre other people's behavior is, Cook's stories all boil down to the most familiar, relatable experiences he's had. His humor doesn't require even a glance at the wider world; it strengthens the bonds within a homogenous group. "Isn't it crazy when you..." or "How weird is it when..." By celebrating the myopia of the young, Cook has become the hottest comedian around.

Some have accused Cook of stealing material from Louis CK (the clips in question can be heard here, with Louis CK up first), but like all of Cook's skits, this material arises from fairly common experiences and could easily be a coincidence. What's most interesting about comparing the two clips, in fact, is how much more appealing Louis CK's delivery is than Cook's.

But Dane Cook isn't about to play down his talent or his successes. "Vicious Circle is what I would call my show because that is what I fought for endlessly for my young adult life," he writes on his Web site. "To come home and leave my name in the history books with this one gift God blessed me with." So his triumphant homecoming is best summed up by the words "Vicious Circle"? Once again, Cook has latched onto a random phrase that seems to bear no relation to his intended meaning, yet another odd choice by a guy whose popularity is just as unfathomable as his message. Luckily for Cook, millions of young people nationwide don't seem to care either way.

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2006/09/03/dane_cook/index_np.html
Fucking ouch.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah, Cook's pretty unfunny from what I've heard. The only funny jokes he told were ironically during this routine about how he wanted to get a monkey (and I say "ironically" because anything involving monkeys is almost always unfunny. Maybe the fail associated with Dane Cook somehow cancelled out the fail associated with monkeys.)

coke_a_holic
09-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm aware that people over my age group would HATE Dane Cook, but I don't care because at my age, I find him quite amusing.

Rag Doll
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm aware that people over my age group would HATE Dane Cook, but I don't care because at my age, I find him quite amusing.

meh. most people i know that like him are 20-28. most of the younger people i know like either carlos mencia or ANYTHING related to jackass and ONLY things related to jackass.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I love watching those Comedy Central Presents stand-up specials. Everyone was talking about the Mitch Hedberg, Carlos Mencia, and Dane Cook ones, so I watched the three. They weren't much funny at all. Unless I have a bad taste in humor, Brian Regan ("http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g8cq8ePT6Y) has the best one.

Not Ozymandias
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
The only stand-up I like is Larry the Cable Guy.

nieh
09-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Every girl I know absolutely loves Dane Cook which kind of confuses me. I think he's alright. His jokes aren't especially smart or clever but he's got a certain sort of frat-boy charm to him which is strange because I don't normally like frat-boys. I'll definitely agree that he's a lot more entertaining to actually SEE than to just listen to or read his jokes.

That review was a bit harsh on him in some points. He's just a comedian. An entertainer. He never tried or claimed to be anything more than that so they shouldn't really give him grief for focusing on the banal and not talking about politics or other important things.

ninthlayer
09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
I like Jim Gaffigan.

Apathy
09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I've only heard one cd of his, but I found him hilarious.

And to be honest, I've never actually met anyone who didn't like him, so this would be a first. Hell, even my grandma loves him. She thought the Koolaid bit was hilarious.

All About Eve
09-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Brian Regan has the best one.
I used to like him a lot, but he kind of got old.

Mitch Hedberg wins stand-up, as far as I'im concerned.

coke_a_holic
09-09-2006, 09:44 PM
George Carlin is great, too.

Llamas
09-09-2006, 10:22 PM
george carlin is only good at saying really offensive crap, and people only like him cause it's shocking.. I only found him funny in "Dogma".

Paint_It_Black
09-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I like Jim Gaffigan.

Is he the guy who made the hot pocket jokes? If so, he cracks me the fuck up.

Sorry, that's all I can specifically remember him doing.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
George Carlin is the fucking man, end of discussion.

Mitch Hedberg was OK. Had some pretty funny shit and pretty good delivery, but a little corny sometimes too.

0r4ng3
09-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Is he the guy who made the hot pocket jokes? If so, he cracks me the fuck up.

Sorry, that's all I can specifically remember him doing.
Yeah, he's funny. He does a lot of food jokes.

lil_punk_rawker
09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
sorry, i don't want to piss any1 off but i only saw him on the teen choice awards an i didn't think that he was that funny. but then again i hate the v. scripted jokes on award shows, they're SO rehearsed....... sorry....... no offense.

ninthlayer
09-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Not apologetic enough, like, at all.

Vera
09-14-2006, 03:59 AM
I like Jim Gaffigan.

Love this guy, yes.

I seem to live on Comedy Central's Motherload so I only get these clips. The only comedians whose full sets I've have been Denis Leary, Robin Williams and Russell Peters (whose pokes at Bollywood are just hilarious).

Naw, wait, I watched some stuff on youtube as well. I saw a Dane Cook set there, I thought he wasn't all that.. Some funny jokes but too much "Oh god he's fucking insane, har fucking har". For my taste anyway.

Vera
09-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Okay, watching his Insomniac set right now. Good stuff but gah, I hate the screaming fangirls. Yeah, he's good-looking. Why do you have to be all fucking stupid every time he mentions sex? Jesus fucking Christ.

Endymion
09-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Okay, watching his Insomniac set right now. Good stuff but gah, I hate the screaming fangirls. Yeah, he's good-looking. Why do you have to be all fucking stupid every time he mentions sex? Jesus fucking Christ.

what, you would give an arm and three legs to fuck him?

Nina
09-14-2006, 10:38 AM
1) I dont understand what half of this topic is about. But yes, I read it all.
2) I hate Jackass because it's tasteless and horribly dumb and I dont understand how anyone finds that show or the people on it funny.
3) I have never heard of Dane Cook until I read this topic. Then I got incredibly bored last night and watched his stuff on youtube. I agree with Vera: he is goodlooking, he is kinda funny, but sometimes he screams too much for my taste (especially during subject matters that contain sex).

Vera
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
what, you would give an arm and three legs to fuck him?

No.

Jim Caffigan? Yes.

ninthlayer
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I have Gaffigan's Beyond the Pale album on my mp3 player and sometimes it gets mixed in during shuffle, which makes for some interesting moments.