PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Debate

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Ok so me and my mate are having this debate on msn, I say quit smoking but this is what he thinks.

Smoking and smoking related diseases costs the NHS 1.1 billion a year, smokers give 8.6 billion to the exchequer. For every person that dies from smoking, 3 more people will be saved from advances in medicine paid for by smokers

Is this a valid debate?

Megs
10-26-2005, 06:59 AM
no. because lots of people that need the NHS are as a result from smoking.

memento
10-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Smoking related diseases have many more externalities than what happens to the NHS. The loss in productive capaicty of labour for example.

I agree the NHS is funded by a regressive tax system that taxes the poor. But the poor are retarded to start up smoking anyway. So they're gay and I don't care.

So yes it's valid. You can say smokers are paying for alot of the NHS.

Sin_Studly
10-26-2005, 07:29 AM
I agree the NHS is funded by a regressive tax system that taxes the poor. But the poor are retarded to start up smoking anyway. So they're gay and I don't care.

Were you on your high school's debate team?

Aimeht
10-26-2005, 07:29 AM
I smoke.

[10]

The_Hombre
10-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Smoking is so cool.

you can only smoke cigarettes if you're as cool as The Fonze

memento
10-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Were you on your high school's debate team?

I was for a time. They threw me out accusing me of being homophobic.

The_Hombre
10-26-2005, 08:09 AM
I was for a time. They threw me out accusing me of being homophobic.

You're not homophobic.

You're just repressed.

Paint_It_Black
10-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Yeah it's a valid argument. People should stop picking on smokers. Having said that, if you don't smoke, don't start.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I managed to give up after like 10 per Day.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-26-2005, 08:28 AM
No it isn't. It's like $5 a day at the most.

The_Hombre
10-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Damn, thats a lot. Thats like 40 dollars a day just on cigerettes

A 10 pack costs anywhere between 1.80 and 3, depending on where you buy them from.

It only takes two seconds to type in "currency converter" in Google, by the way. I wouldn't bother if I were you. America is the only country that matters.

We just do what you tell us.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Yea I just don't want to die young, Plus I seen what it can do to people.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
not if you smoke 10 packs a day.

He meant 10 CIGARETTES a day.

crazy_offspring_gal
10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I used To smoke, and im 15! i mean.. I'm young.

I managed to quit thanks to a spech someone.

I got seved at 14/15 years of age! I mean its a discrase (spelling)
Its legal over here to sell them to people over 16 years of age. and yet 8/10 places i go sell still serve me/ other people. (I get served for my friends)

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
You think it's a disgrace that shops serve people at age 14/15 yet you think it's OK for you to go and buy cigarettes for your younger friends?

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I used To smoke, and im 15! i mean.. I'm young.

I managed to quit thanks to a spech someone.

I got seved at 14/15 years of age! I mean its a discrase (spelling)
Its legal over here to sell them to people over 16 years of age. and yet 8/10 places i go sell still serve me/ other people. (I get served for my friends)
Dnt you mean under 16 kim lol.

crazy_offspring_gal
10-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Dnt you mean under 16 kim lol.
I dont know. Go and edit it. lol

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
You think it's a disgrace that shops serve people at age 14/15 yet you think it's OK for you to go and buy cigarettes for your younger friends?
Seriously Kim, don't get them for them, I've told you before. But then again I do hate almost every friend I spoken to of yours and do wish they would get lung cancer. :rolleyes: Oh that's just mean, but I still don't like the ones I have spoken to.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-26-2005, 10:16 AM
I just don't see the consistency. Either dislike shops selling to younger people and don't buy them for your friends, or buy them for your friends and not really care what shops do. You can't have it both ways.

crazy_offspring_gal
10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
No, I'm Just appauled (spelling) at how many shop's serve young people under the age of 16.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Yet you buy cigarettes for your younger friends yourself? Does that not make you just as bad?

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
No, I'm Just appauled (spelling) at how many shop's serve young people under the age of 16.
yet you're 15 getting fat bex fags. *claps*

Shobo
10-26-2005, 11:31 AM
well i guess that's valid.
ya see, us smokers do good to the society instead of wasting time ruining our lungs. :P

darko
10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
well i guess that's valid.
ya see, us smokers do good to the society instead of wasting time ruining our lungs. :P

and soon you all be unsocialable because of the smoking in public bans coming in....

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I was a pothead, but not anymore. You see that ugly pic of me? Yeah...

JoY
10-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Ok so me and my mate are having this debate on msn, I say quit smoking but this is what he thinks.

Smoking and smoking related diseases costs the NHS 1.1 billion a year, smokers give 8.6 billion to the exchequer. For every person that dies from smoking, 3 more people will be saved from advances in medicine paid for by smokers

Is this a valid debate?
absolutely not. smoking is a riskfactor for about a zillion diseases. it indirectly causes people to die every day & health care could never keep up with something as destructive as smoking. I could come with a thousand-and-one arguments, but I'll just leave it at this. because I have a feeling this already has been discussed to no end & that I can't add anything to the topic that anyone here will be able to appreciate.

T-6005
10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Smoking is bad.

Having said that, I smoke whenever I drink.

0r4ng3
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm not a smoker, but if someone wants to smoke, I'm not gonna stop them. The population's too high anyway, people need to die.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
and soon you all be unsocialable because of the smoking in public bans coming in....
Oh that made me laugh, but yea.. I hope they do ban it. I hate the smell of smoke when I'm eating in a restaurant.

JoY
10-26-2005, 02:21 PM
plus, we kind of all have a free will?

people have tried repeatedly to convince me to give up the habit. all I know is, that when I do it (yes, it's a matter of "when", not "if"), I'll do it for me & me only.

damn, I feel like a smoke right now. :/

JoY
10-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Oh that made me laugh, but yea.. I hope they do ban it. I hate the smell of smoke when I'm eating in a restaurant.
has it ever occured to you, that there might be other solutions to this problem, than excluding a rather large part of the world-population in public places?

memento
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I hate how my clothes smell of smoke when I get home. You don't even realise how much it stinks in there till you get outside. And the next day your clothes reek. Also my contacts get messed up.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
has it ever occured to you, that there might be other solutions to this problem, than excluding a rather large part of the world-population in public places?
normaly I just put up with it because I think people HAVE a right to smoke, I only say somethink if somebody is smoking right near my baby brother.

JoY
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
normaly I just put up with it because I think people HAVE a right to smoke, I only say somethink if somebody is smoking right near my baby brother.
I must say that's rude & inconsiderate. smoking next to for instance a baby, or someone with asthma. I even try to consider people that have just quit by not smoking in their presence, so I won't make it any harder on them.

darko
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM

now i agree there....but unlike you most people who smoke dont consider other people....the tend to think, and i have come across this, you dont like the smoke you move why should i and that puts people off.....which also excludes a majority off non-smokers

JoY
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I read that three times, but still your English doesn't make any sense to me.

what it comes down to.. is that a rather large part of the world population isn't very considerate, right?? but that goes as much for non-smokers, as for smokers.

darko
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I read that three times, but still your English doesn't make any sense to me.

what it comes down to.. is that a rather large part of the world population isn't very considerate, right?? but that goes as much for non-smokers, as for smokers.

sorry my punctuation has gone out the window....tired...

dont worry i know that aswell....but with these bans coming in, it aimed at helping people to stop smoking and therefore improve their health as well as the preventive mesures for non-smokers because even though it contributes to the NHS is also tries Dr's and other such professionals up, dealing with people who are smoking and are ill and are doing nothing to help themselves. Now i know to stop smoking it should be under the smokers own steam...thats the only way i stopped and it like anything else....if you want it bad enough you'll do it. But why should non-smokers suffer aswell for your habit?

the_offsprings_monkey
10-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I must say that's rude & inconsiderate. smoking next to for instance a baby, or someone with asthma. I even try to consider people that have just quit by not smoking in their presence, so I won't make it any harder on them.
My brother HAS asthmam, thats why I get pissed off.

yay
10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
I smoked once and found it disgusting. Then some guy at a party handed me a cigarette and I almost choked on it. Never Again!!

I do smoke The Lebonease bong though pretty much every 2nd weekend. I'm not lebonease but my mate has got one, and fuck it's awesome. You get apple flavour, Cappucino, Vanilla etc flavoured tobacco and smoke it in a bong. It's so nice.

JoY
10-26-2005, 03:20 PM
sorry my punctuation has gone out the window....tired...

dont worry i know that aswell....but with these bans coming in, it aimed at helping people to stop smoking and therefore improve their health as well as the preventive mesures for non-smokers because even though it contributes to the NHS is also tries Dr's and other such professionals up, dealing with people who are smoking and are ill and are doing nothing to help themselves. Now i know to stop smoking it should be under the smokers own steam...thats the only way i stopped and it like anything else....if you want it bad enough you'll do it. But why should non-smokers suffer aswell for your habit?
it isn't aimed at helping people to stop smoking. believe me. at least, I wouldn't buy it, ever. the bans are just to be done with the whining from non-smokers about smokers & then the smokers whining about that & then everyone whining, complaining, etc etc. it's an unending cycle with people whining, making claims towards the tobacco-company because smoking has caused their sickness, making claims towards their neighbour that occasionally smokes a cigar because they can feel the smoke intoxinating their lungs...... humans are very, very tiring organisms.

docs DO mop with the tap open (if you know that expression, by any chance). they do their best to cure people, to be as objective as possible when it comes to who to treat & how to treat them, etc... but if people decide to keep on smoking, even if that's the whole health problem they're being treated by a doctor for in the first place.. you might understand that doesn't exactly motivate the doctor & that it might be extremely frustrating for whoever does their best to take care of the smoking fool. but I must add, that the same thing goes for unhealthy food, for alcohol, for drugs, for medicins even, for a bad body-position (serious!), & the list just goes on. (almost) everyone has a bad habit/factor that can put their health at risk. even if it's just living in a big city. catch my drift?

& as for why non-smokers should have to suffer from the smoke of smokers... they shouldn't. not if they don't want to & certainly not if they have health problems that second hand smoke can make worse. BUT there are more ways that lead to Rome & there are more solutions to this problem, that are even WAY easier than taking away all smoking sections from public buildings, making a law, making everyone adjust to that and so forth.