PDA

View Full Version : Drumming help please

Conspiracy of One
10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Okay, Im just starting drumming. Of course being self taught because I wan't to surprise my family. Any drummer's out there that could give me some tips? Or maybe links to some good instructional sites? It would be greatly appreciated.

Drummer_Boi91
10-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Practice makes perfect, ive been drumming or 2 years and when i first started i just picked up a pair of sticks and starting hitting the bloody thing ay. Just get involved with everything u can, if your at school get involved with everything drumming related. Make friends with drummers, talk to drummers...

BE A DRUMMER :cool:

Drummerguy123
10-27-2005, 06:21 PM
I highly suggest private lessons. They help so much. And also, just be around other drummers that are better than you. Study their technique and try to mimic it. That's what I do. Another thing, I don't know if you are in a school band or something, but use your wrists to drum, not your fingers. That is a big mistake I see a lot of drummers do. Another thing is to learn to play quietly. That is very helpful. For my final tip I will say to study jazz drumming. Jazz drumming just makes everything so much better.

Drummer_Boi91
10-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Im in a Birth Of The Blues class which helps my tecnique loads. From syncopated beats to learning cut shuffle, shuffle etc etc.

Drummerguy123
10-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Another thing is to do drumline and marhing percussion. That builds your chops so fast (if you do it right).

Conspiracy of One
10-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Well i've been playing guitar for 3 years, and my dad plays drums. So we have a drum set and everything, I just want to surprise him next time we play together. I can get the regular beat, but in-between parts I can't quite get the fast quick pace.

Drummerguy123
10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Try playing Hit That. It is very easy. Then work up to songs like Dirty Magic , then try something a bit harder like Self Esteem, then Pretty Fly, Then COAP, then maybe you could work on songs like Hypodermic, and finally, Session or Long Way Home. (All of these songs I can play, btw :D )

Drummer_Boi91
10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Practice makes perfect mate, im lucky i got it pretty much straight away, but most of the drummers i know took a while to get it right and a few of them almost gave up drumming cuz of the frustration of not getting it. DONT GIVE UP, if you've got a kit at home dont get off it, you'll be suprised how much you improve if you constantly practice.

Drummerguy123
10-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Practice makes perfect mate, im lucky i got it pretty much straight away, but most of the drummers i know took a while to get it right and a few of them almost gave up drumming cuz of the frustration of not getting it. DONT GIVE UP, if you've got a kit at home dont get off it, you'll be suprised how much you improve if you constantly practice.

Yeah, even if you can't practice, at least sit at your drumset once a day, so you don't lose it.

guitar_and_drummer_guy
10-27-2005, 06:32 PM
hmmm some pointers
1. get into the music cant really describe it though
2. if your playin stuff that moves around the drums really fast dont do individualy hits when changing drums deflect across
3. work on paradiddles or right left right right left right left left
4. warm up start off on a slow drum roll around the WHOLE set cymbals an everything then SLOWLY start to speed it up make sure to add your bass drum into it if possible
5. if you cant play something like its written change it just a little then eventually you'll b able to change it to how it is written
6. you'll get better ALOT faster if you learn diffrent kinds of music if you wanna be fast learn true punk stuff the unseen anti-flag ramones
7. you will be in a band which will also greatly improve your skills the world is in short supply of drummers thats why i picked up the drums

well thats all i can think of hope that helps

Drummerguy123
10-27-2005, 06:35 PM
hmmm some pointers
1. get into the music cant really describe it though
2. if your playin stuff that moves around the drums really fast dont do individualy hits when changing drums deflect across
3. work on paradiddles or right left right right left right left left
4. warm up start off on a slow drum roll around the WHOLE set cymbals an everything then SLOWLY start to speed it up make sure to add your bass drum into it if possible
5. if you cant play something like its written change it just a little then eventually you'll b able to change it to how it is written
6. you'll get better ALOT faster if you learn diffrent kinds of music if you wanna be fast learn true punk stuff the unseen anti-flag ramones
7. you will be in a band which will also greatly improve your skills the world is in short supply of drummers thats why i picked up the drums

well thats all i can think of hope that helps

Exactly. Starting slow and simple, then slowly work your way up. If something sounds bad when you play it slow, it will amplify when taken fast. That is a fact. Also, para-diddle-diddles (r-l-r-r-l-l) are good to learn. Just from practicing a little bit, I have built my chops enough to play them like 32nd notes. It just takes practice. Ther will be frustration, but don't give up.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
10-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Me. If you're really a drummer you'd get some tunes in your head- and practice. Try making different sounds.

guitar_and_drummer_guy
10-27-2005, 06:44 PM
also some people think the only thing about being a good drummer is being able to play fast NOPE NOPE NOPE ALL WRONG

YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP A BEAT
that is the main thing keeping a steady tempo

SkunkIt
10-27-2005, 07:20 PM
First you need to get a good drum set for a beginner within your budget and learn how to assemble and set it up. Also ask for the cheapest practice pad not on a stand and ask for drum silencers. The drum silencers have to fit your drum set, but they may be a little smaller than the drum. A bass drum silencer is expensive, so if you can, just open the bass drum, put in a cheap pillow and close it. If you can't do that, putting a thick blanket on it works ok. If you need them, there are cymbal silencers too, but I'm not sure about how much those cost. Do some research on the internet about the drums.

Then you need to learn how to handle the sticks, then handle the sticks and rapidly get faster without any pressure in your hands. If you're good with timing, start in 4/4 first and use the Hi-Hat. If you need help with getting faster, get a metronome after you learned a few things.

Drum lesson database:

http://drumbum.com/lessons/

Drummerguy123
10-27-2005, 07:50 PM
One more thing...........

RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing stiff is goingt o get you nowhere.

And Guitar and Drummerguy is right, a fast drummer isn't necissarily a good drummer, but most good drummers can play fast.