PDA

View Full Version : Aristocratic titles

Sin Studly
10-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Does anybody know the order of importance/power of Counts, Dukes, Barons, Marquis, etc.?

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Dukes
Counts
Barons

I think. I know Barons are definitely below Counts. And it seems obvious to me that Dukes are the highest, since so many of the highest British royals are Dukes.

T-6005
10-27-2005, 06:11 PM
starting from the bottom, as I remember -

Baronet, Baron, Count/Earl, Marquis/Marquess, Duke (and then Princes, King, etc.)

That sounds about right. I think. I looked up a few of them.

nieh
10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I think TUNB has it about right. Semi-related: Every time I see a lawyer add "Esq." to the end of their name, I want to stab them in the eye. It's so fucking pompous. It would be like an engineer adding "Sir" to the front of their name after getting their degree.

Sin Studly
10-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks. You shall now all refer to me as Duke Studly, esq.

T-6005
10-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Only if I'm referred to as King.

HornyPope
10-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Duke
Marquis
Earl
Viscount
Baron
Baronet
Knight

That's for the British titles. It's obviously different under other crowns.

Sin Studly
10-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Maquis is the same thing as Marquess and Margrave, right? And Earl is the same thing as a Count?

Sin Studly
10-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Oh, and what's a female baronet or knight equivalent called?

Elmo Is My Father
10-28-2005, 12:30 AM
How I remember:

Marquis -Marquerius my neighbor
Earl - "My Name Is Earl"
Viscount - 99 Cent Discount Store
Baron - Baron owes me money
Baronet - Baron's little sister
Knight - Knight Rider

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Not exactly high on the details, but wikipidia tells me marquis = marquess = margrave.

The first is French, the second is the English adaption of the French title, and the last is Germanic.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Duke
Marquis
Earl
Viscount
Baron
Baronet
Knight

That's for the British titles. It's obviously different under other crowns.
Well that's sexist lol, and god the other guys are gonna hate me for this but I don't care, MEN TREAT WOMEN ECUAL YOU SEXIST Bastards :D

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 12:44 AM
The female equivalant to Baronet is Baronetess (again, looked it up), and I actually used to remember what was a "female knight" called when I read about Bill Gates becoming a knight (the article included the piece as a fyi) but I can't find it anymore because when you search for a knight you get a bunch of history pages about orders of the templar and middle ages knighthood and shit.

Well that's sexist lol, and god the other guys are gonna hate me for this but I don't care, MEN TREAT WOMEN ECUAL YOU SEXIST Bastards

Shut the fuck up. DO NOT REPLY FOR THE SAKE OF REPLYING. Keep your mouth shut if you ain't got something smart to say. Your opinions are worthless, unwaranted and based on zero factual knowledge.

And for the record, Baronet is actually a male noble rank slightly inferior to a full Baron. Fucking idiot.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Oh and this should answer your further questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

Beyond that, follow the links. Wikipedia <3

memento
10-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Where does Lord fit in? I'd like to be a lord in the house of lords.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-28-2005, 01:11 AM
The female equivalant to Baronet is Baronetess (again, looked it up), and I actually used to remember what was a "female knight" called when I read about Bill Gates becoming a knight (the article included the piece as a fyi) but I can't find it anymore because when you search for a knight you get a bunch of history pages about orders of the templar and middle ages knighthood and shit.

Shut the fuck up. DO NOT REPLY FOR THE SAKE OF REPLYING. Keep your mouth shut if you ain't got something smart to say. Your opinions are worthless, unwaranted and based on zero factual knowledge.

And for the record, Baronet is actually a male noble rank slightly inferior to a full Baron. Fucking idiot.
Well how the FUCK was I spose to know that cock wod, now shut up you scum.