PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy This PC?

Nina
10-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Medion MD 5877
Intel Celeron D Processor 335
(2,80GHz, 256K Cache (whatever that means), 533MHz FSB)
512MB
80GB
DVD-Burner
+TFT 17" monitor
+mouse and keyboard
+OEM Software: Microsoft Win XP Home Edition SP2, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Nero Burning ROM
+6 megapixel Digicam
+HP PSC 1410 All-in-One, that's a multifunctional printer.... it prints, scans, and copies.

800€

Your thoughts?
I'm probably getting this in a few days, maybe someone can tell me an astonishing good reason why not to get it.

Thanks.

Tizzalicious
10-28-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm not gonna give you advice here, as there are people who could give much better advice, but I do have a printer like that, the exact same one maybe, and I love it. Mine keeps crashing, but that's not the point here, I think that's just mine (paper keeps getting stuck, I should get it fixed), the copy thing is very useful. I like it.

I could say what I knew about processors and stuff, my friend told me a lot when I bought my laptop, but I guess it's all different. So, I won't.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Medion MD 5877
512MB
80GB
DVD-Burner
+TFT 17" monitor
+mouse and keyboard
+OEM Software: Microsoft Win XP Home Edition SP2, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Nero Burning ROM
+6 megapixel Digicam
+HP PSC 1410 All-in-One, that's a multifunctional printer.... it prints, scans, and copies.

800€

Your thoughts?
I'm probably getting this in a few days, maybe someone can tell me an astonishing good reason why not to get it.

Thanks.
Thats pretty weak.

Nina
10-28-2005, 02:59 AM
1) Why did you feel the need to quote EVERYthing?
2) You havent exactly told me why, so it's not like I can take your statement seriously, can I? Nope.
3) I dont know what the hell you are doing with your PC, but I use it for Internet and photoshopping pictures only. I dont play games.

To be fair, I should have cleared 3) up before.
I still think you're an idiot though.

Tizzalicious
10-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Nina, maybe you should edit that into your post? What you will do with it? In case people won't read your reply? Because it's important I think.

notoriousdoc
10-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Yes, go now and buy it

memento
10-28-2005, 03:27 AM
If you're gonna be a gay and purchase a computer rather than making one it's fine.

but I'd say get low spec as poss, you don't need these high spec machines for anything but gaming. So unless you game, go lower/cheaper.

the_offsprings_monkey
10-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Oh you dnt game, sorry my bad, then that's perfect for you, and pretty cheap, GO BUY IT. :)

The_Hombre
10-28-2005, 03:38 AM
I've never really seen a factory made computer with those specs for that price before.

If you're going to use the computer for online work, I would suggest upgrading the cache and maybe hard disk space, but apart from that it seems like a pretty good deal.

voodoomagik
10-28-2005, 03:48 AM
hmm...it sounds fine but it pretty much depends on what you are gonna use it for...the only down point of that configuration is the celeron's low cache!
maybe this will also help:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8706

wheelchairman
10-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Like Dush said, unless you game go for cheaper.
If I were you, I'd get a laptop. It's more expensive. But with regards to the future, it's good to have that kind of flexibility.

Sunny
10-28-2005, 08:56 AM
wow, it comes with a digital camera? damn. nice.

i don't know that much about computers, but i'm not sure if you need a processor that fast for your purposes.. or a hard drive that big. What you should consider, though, is getting a computer with 1 Gb of RAM. 512 Mb might cause Photoshop and other applications to run pretty slow.

On an unrelated note, i figured out how to use PayPal =p

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 09:54 AM
NO! Don't buy it.

First of all, drop the windows. Don't listen to any lying sonofabitch who tells you that Windows comes for "free". There isn't a retailer in the world who can obtain a legit copy of windows without paying a fee to Billy Gates. That operatin system you're getting is simply factored into the final price. My advice? Factor it out and save yourself some 60 euros or so (for an OEM- double that for a CD) and use your brothers' CD instead. Or some friend. Who the hell buys windows for a home pc? Unless you really, really feel strongly about piracy.

Same thing with the digicam. That crap they're selling you is just some cheap model that's convenient to unload. Don't settle for it. I know you like photography, so save that 100euros from the final price and buy a model you actually like. Preferably something with good optical work. Don't you have one already?

The printer is probably okay though.

Now as far as actualy specs for computer go, use that money you just saved on the aformentioned bundled deviced to upgrade your CPU. In this age and time, you shouldn't buy anything new with under a 533FSB and 1mbL2 cache. Ask from your merchant osmething like this (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80645=).
I'd say also upgrade the RAM to a gigabyte, but that isn't urgent. You can always add a stick later.

Also the harddrive is relatively small. It's not like you need osmething gigantic, but the price difference between a say 150 and 80gig is like 20 euros. I bought my 250gig sata2 few weeks ago for only 150$ (IDEs are like 20$ cheaper).

Please don't tell me you're buying the PC at PLus. or REAL. *shudders*.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 11:01 AM
You want your system looking soemthing like this:

Prozessor: Intel® Celeron 331 (2.66 GHz) EMT-64 FSB533 - Sockel: 775
Mainboard: Sockel: 775, Chipsatz: SIS661FX, VGA/Sound/LAN onboard - mATX
Gehäuse: Mini Tower 200S Silver Black 350W - mATX
Speicher: 2x 512 MB DDR-RAM 400 MHz
Floppy: Floppy 3,5 Zoll 1,44 MB schwarz
Festplatte: 160 GB Seagate 7.200 RPM / 8MB Cache
CD/DVD Writer: DVD+-R/RW NEC 3540A schwarz
Grafikkarte: Gainward MX4000-8x GeforceMX4000 64MB TV
Tastatur: Logitech Deluxe Keyboard PS/2 schwarz
Maus: Logitech Premium Optical Wheel PS/2 u. USB schwarz
Garantie: 24 Monate
Garantie-Option: Pick-up-&-Repair-Service 24 Monate

I custom-assembled it on www.misco.de for under 595euros. Sadly they don't have land stores from what I understood, so online shipping is all they can offer. I tried looking at mediamarkt and citypoint but neither has flexible websites. If you could link me to a website of some PC store in Wiesbaden or Hessen or anywhere close to you, i'll check there for good prices.

The monitor is not included in the price, so I assumed you'd threw in the other 150-170 euros from the 800 you were willing to commit and buy it seperatly (that store had shitty choices, plus its expensive to deliver). And then another 60-80 euros for a printer. It comes out at a slighty heftier price tag but trust me when I say it's worth it. You have here a computer twice the specs you listed.

The real problem here is the 16% retail tax. I'm not sure if you can avoid paying it by ordering the PC from a French site for example. Because then i'll can find something on .fr

At any rate, this is merely an estimate. Consider printing out the specs I listed and going to some PC shop (like a real computer store, not a convenience store with desktops in retail) and asking them for how much would they be able to find this particular configuration for you.

Oh and I could probably save another 30 euros by picking a less expensive video card and DVDRW. Just don't wanna bother for it unless you know for sure.

DirtyMagical
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I know nothing of computers, but I know that if you're offered a free digicam with something as irrelevant as a computer, you're getting the model that just ain't selling.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Listen to Katelyn. ^

And you're not exactly "offered" the digicam to begin with. All they do is take some model they either want to unload (because its old, defected, not selling well, they obtained it in bulk) for say 100euros, and they throw it in with a computer and add to the overal price another 70-80 euros. The good: you get a 20-30euro discount (if we follow my example- the actual price can be different). The bad: you still pay 70-80euros for a model you might not want or like.

And when it comes to photography, you want to be a little more pickier in your choices.

Nina
10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Vlad you are my hero!

To clear something up...I love my digicam, and I wanted to shit someone with this and sell the digicam that goes with it for 100euro. Yeah, I know, I'm mean.

I asked one of my coworkers today, and he said that I shouldnt get it because the PC is crap.

Vlad, what do you think of dell? I saw this:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/desktops_Q3_W13_dimen_3100_D11316?c=de&cs=dedhs1&l=de&s=dhs

which means:
Intel® Celeron® D Prozessor 346 (3.06 GHz, 256 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (OEM3))
1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz (2x512) Memory
16x Dual-Layer (+/-) DVD-Brenner & 9-in-1 Kartenleser
Intel® (GMA) 900, bis 128 MB
networkcard, however you call it in english
soundcard
+ 1 year service
+ shipping for free
+ they upgrade the hard drive [320GB (2x160GB) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive - Dual HDD Config - No Raid ]

Costs: 529€

Downgrade:
There is no monitor with it. And that's VERY important to me.
No firewire

What you found on www.misco.de sounds really really good, but if it costs almost as much as dell, I'd prefer dell?

I also thought about using Linux. Thoughts on that?

What is Cache anyway? I can't even imagine what that is, I dunno what to do with it.

Ooohh I'm getting a PC, yay!

BTW, either way I am buying the printer I described in my original post from a coworker of mine who wants to buy this PC (but doesnt need the printer). 50€....fair?

Nina
10-28-2005, 01:40 PM
And thanks to everyone who actually bothered to help, and SUNNY! We gotta talk about it. :]

Nina
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
You mean that incredibly attractive thing in the middle of her even more attractive face? Yeah, we'll discuss that through the PM-systems of this message board in a few min.

wheelchairman
10-28-2005, 02:01 PM
And thanks to everyone who actually bothered to help, and SUNNY! We gotta talk about it. :]
Apparently Linux is very complicated. But if you know how to use that code stuff, it should be no prob.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 02:02 PM
That's 600 euros with taxes, right? I've never owned a dell so I can't say much about it, but generally I stay away from brand computers. I either go for the custom-made high performance PC that I assemble myself, or cheap generic stuff like the one I showed you. It's typically much cheaper and somewhat equal in reliability and performance, but a big sale can make a difference.

In your case, the computer is fine. But few important defaults and certain features you don't exactly need. The first default is the lack of cache. Cache is like a memory in a cpu if you will. Nowdays they come with a 2mbs. Your has but 256kb. So you do the math how how inferior it is. Don't setttle for anything under 512. I'd recommend 1mb.

Second default is the video card. It's onboard and thsoe typically suck. If you plan to play any games, consider a new video card (and those cost around 100euros).

Third default is again the stupid windows package. DO NOT TAKE IT. It's just a waste of money.

As far as RAM is concerned, you probably don't need DDR2, but the difference in price is like 5$ so whatever.

I can't also find the buffer memory of the HD so i'm afraid it could be 2mbs (when yo uwant an 8mb). Yikes.

And i'm not sure if you really need a dual layer DVD burner but whatever.

The rest is ok.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Medion MD 5877
512MB
80GB
DVD-Burner
+TFT 17" monitor
+mouse and keyboard
+6 megapixel Digicam

800€

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Buy another one. That's too average.

Jebus
10-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Is Intel Pentium D replacing Celeron or is it a higher step to Intel Pentium 4?

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
I think it's a remplacement for celeron, or a low-cost pentium.

Nina
10-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Ah, makes a lot more sense now.
Yes, 600 with taxes. The price is good for a dell PC. And I mean...my brother ordered one from dell (a really expensive combination too, I'm afraid) and he is veeerryyy satisfied. But then again I dont need the things he needs, and I also dont want to pay as much.
Also, everyone has told me to order a PC from dell :O So I dunno...it just sounds good but I might be highly biased.

I can choose 1MB Cache, it would cost me 70€ more, so actually no big deal since I'm paying this in rates and not cash, after all.
Since I dont play games, the videocard should be okay? I could always buy a better one when I need it, right?
But but...I wanted to be legal for once :E (and I am not speaking of my age, mwhah). I dunnnooo...Windows always seemed alright.
I want a good burner.
Now...Linux, yay or nay?

To Per: A friend of mine has Linux, I saw it...the only problem with it is that not all "usual" programs run on Linux, but it seemed pretty simple to me. I dunno.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Well go for dell then. It doesn't really matter either way. It's the same technology, only a different manufacturer.

Yes, upgrade the cache.

Also find out more information about the hard drive. Upgrade them if it's not good enough.

The videocard is okay for non-gamers since you don't do need any impressive. In this case, you can take out the 100euros from the PC I showed you (because thats how much it cost).

Burner: just because its double-layer doesn't mean the burner is good. All it does is it can burn DVD on both sides if you buy special dvds for it. But last year that technology was in a miserable state. My friend it and not only did double-layer DVDs cost like 5 times the regular price, it failed to burn half the DVDs. I'm serious. If you want a good burner, go with Plexor. But expect to pay 150% the price.

And again for the windows, just borrow a fucking CD from someone. Either way the OEM is crap. They pre-install you the windows and give you a special code so you can download it again if you ever needed it but that's not useful because you have to first DOWNLOAD it, and then burn it somewhere anyways. So might as well take already an exisiting copy and save the 70euros. Why throw out money like that? Go out and buy some small-time software if you really cared.

And nay for linux.

Nina
10-28-2005, 02:32 PM
You help me out big time, seriously. You're the first one who bothers to TALK to me about it. Hehe.
So, I guess I can get another burner, a better hard drive, 1mb Cache and a monitor. And I can leave out Windows and use the CD I used for this PC. OMFGi'mgettingapc?!
Thanks again. Big big time. And now it's sleeping time...I'll bother you again right before I'm ordering the PC :D

memento
10-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Hmmm I've used MANY differnet dvd writers and installed some in other people's computers and I never noticed a difference. Dual layer is a fad anyway until cheap media becomes available.

Plextor is expensive, so I'd buy generic. Just as good.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 02:38 PM
You just caught me on a good day. I saw the thread and I replied and then I sort of felt like I had to stick with it all the way. Or almost.

Dush, try playing scratched media on a number of cd/dvd players. You NOTICE the difference. Some outright refuse it, others play it without a problem. I don't know if there's a difference between BURNING however, since I never made an experiment to check it. And besides blank cds are untoched so it shouldnt be a problem, however if you want to re-write a damaged disk, thats when you wished you had a plextor. Trust me, I have 5 active cd roms at home, and there's a bunch of cds nothing but plextor will play.

memento
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Ah yeah I get that. I have trustee old CD-ROMs from way back in the day that read disks that some newer drives can't. But I never ever re-write anyway, I just burn once. I have a bunch of RW discs but rarely re-write.

HornyPope
10-28-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm sure certain models of certain years performed better than their counterparts. Like a Pioneer from 2001 for example could be the best burner, or a in 2003 the burners can be so bad that you're better off buying a generic. You can never tell unless you know the industry, which I don't. But generally plextors are known for their good shit, so usualy i'll go with that to avoid doubt. I used to burn a lot too, and play a lot of cds/dvds so obviously it was important to me that I got the top performance. Not so much anymore though. I mostly keep everything on my HD and my old crap on portable media I got tired of, but every once in a while I put in a disk in the rom drive, and I damn expect it to work.

memento
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah I went thru this gay stage where I archived every single video stream related to NHL. Luckily it was in the 2002 season when the wings one the cup too. I'd hate for all that shit to be unreadable cause that's hundreds of hours of work.

I used to be a total nerd.