PDA

View Full Version : The race that stops a nation

yay
10-31-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't think any country in the world has a sporting event quite like the Melbourne Cup. The entire country literally stops for 5 minutes to watch the horse race. Every radio station broadcasts the race, every tv set is set to the two channels which broadcast it, and Australians talk about nothing but the race for the entire day. Just going to pick my sister up from school, the teachers forced the kids to watch the race in the classroom, and all the kids had little prizes up for grabs if their horse won. In Melbourne it's a public holiday, and the as I've said the country literally comes to a standstill to watch the race.

Well today we were more nuts than ever, because for the 1st time in the races very long and proud history, the horse every Australian in their hearts wanted to win, won the Melbourne cup and now has made sporting history by being the 1st horse ever to win the race 3 times in a row. Makybe Diva has created sporting history, a matter of less than half an hour ago.

On behalf of myself and every other "normal" Australian, I'd like to say congratulations Makybe Diva, you've made all of us aussies proud.

neocon58
10-31-2005, 10:25 PM
May god place herpes upon you all.

.:SMASH:.
10-31-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't think any country in the world has a sporting event quite like the Melbourne Cup. The entire country literally stops for 5 minutes to watch the horse race. Every radio station broadcasts the race, every tv set is set to the two channels which broadcast it, and Australians talk about nothing but the race for the entire day. Just going to pick my sister up from school, the teachers forced the kids to watch the race in the classroom, and all the kids had little prizes up for grabs if their horse won. In Melbourne it's a public holiday, and the as I've said the country literally comes to a standstill to watch the race.

Well today we were more nuts than ever, because for the 1st time in the races very long and proud history, the horse every Australian in their hearts wanted to win, won the Melbourne cup and now has made sporting history by being the 1st horse ever to win the race 3 times in a row. Makybe Diva has created sporting history, a matter of less than half an hour ago.

On behalf of myself and every other "normal" Australian, I'd like to say congratulations Makybe Diva, you've made all of us aussies proud.
yeah i mean wtf? she wins 3 in a row. i salute makybe diva

T-6005
10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Yay for horses! Horses are... animals that run.

Kitten
10-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Yay for horses! Horses are... animals that run.

Actually, they walk, trot, canter or gallop.

yay
11-01-2005, 12:34 AM
yeah i mean wtf? she wins 3 in a row. i salute makybe divaI cant tell if your actually a proud Australian, or if your being sarcastic? Please tell me.

T-6005
11-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Actually, they walk, trot, canter or gallop.
Excuse my rookie mistake. I never made it my life's goal to know the correct terms to apply to horses.

Sin Studly
11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I can't belive Makybe Diva won for the third time in a row. She's up there with Phar Lap now.

HornyPope
11-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Haha Justin expressed a sentiment NON pertinent to either drugs, alcohol, a combination of two, any form of intoxication, nazi stuff and any such topics we heard from him for years. Like... he's actually surprised following a sports/cult/national event.

Sin Studly
11-01-2005, 12:53 AM
It's the race that stops a nation. The Melbourne Cup is so fucking overwhelmingly driven into Australian national culture that it overpasses drugs, alcohol, Nazism and racism.

11-01-2005, 12:55 AM
I cant tell if your actually a proud Australian, or if your being sarcastic? Please tell me.
sarcasm is the shizz man

HornyPope
11-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Wow, you drink, shit, breath air and follow a horse-racing cup? What other traits you have in common with Australians?

Sin Studly
11-01-2005, 12:57 AM
I commit crimes?

11-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Wow, you drink, shit, breath air and follow a horse-racing cup? What other traits you have in common with Australians?
i say g'day in the mornings

HornyPope
11-01-2005, 12:59 AM
I commit crimes?

Well that surely puts you in the same room.

Telekinesis
11-01-2005, 01:00 AM
I don't like the cup, only good thing about it is i get the day off school, yay, did Macarbee Diva win again? I don't know of many of the horses,the only ones I remember are Macarbee Diva,Maythehorsebewithyou and Media Puzzle

Sin Studly
11-01-2005, 01:02 AM
They give you the day off school now?

Telekinesis
11-01-2005, 01:11 AM
They give you the day off school now?

yup, it's a public holiday, me dad even got the day off work, now the days at an end and I have fecking school tommorow :mad: bloody good for nothing school *shakes fist* at many times I've been temped to burn my school down... ha ha, lol, go me

yay
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
yup, it's a public holiday, me dad even got the day off work, now the days at an end and I have fecking school tommorow :mad: bloody good for nothing school *shakes fist* at many times I've been temped to burn my school down... ha ha, lol, go mePeople who live in Victoria have a public holiday. Everyone else in Australia just goes to work/school.