PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather win?

Mota Boy
10-31-2005, 08:46 PM
So, which would you rather win, and why: an Oscar, the Nobel Prize or the lottery (let's say it's one of those Powerball drawings that give you over a hundred mil)? And let's say that if you win the Oscar, while you obviously have a successful movie career, you aren't raking in the big bucks - no $20,000,000 per picture deals.

There will be no loopholes in this poll.

Ah shit, I just thought something else... let's through some sort of sports championship in the mix. Your choosing.

RedXIII
10-31-2005, 08:47 PM
The lottery. The rest of those are boring to me.

Human
10-31-2005, 08:50 PM
The lottery because the rest just would give me alot of attention and I don't like too much...

Drummerguy123
10-31-2005, 08:53 PM
I'd like to win the Nobel prize because it means that I did something great for the world and that will make the money recieved feel like it has been well earned and if it is for making a product, I could market it and make even more money.

sKratch
10-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Nobel prize. I'm a physicist.
/geek

Drummerguy123
10-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Nobel prize. I'm a physicist.
/geek

Duuuuuuuuude......... geeks are awesome. :D

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:04 PM
I'll go with something in my field. Like if I was shooting movies, Oscar would be my holy grail. If I was a writer- Nobel prize. So you're essentialy asking me where would I prefer to pursue my career. My life's long dream is to publish an awe inspiring book, and though this doesn't look at all promissing, and i'm not exactly refining my skills either, it's something I would never the less love to do at a point of my life--probably in the older years.

Lottery to me is the least rewarding because its no more than a game of chance. Plus i've convinced myself that i'll become rich one way or another, so it's not even that appealing to be honest, unless it happened like right now. (but even then i'd go for the Noble)

Jebus
10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
The nobel comes with some money right?

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:09 PM
But if I was an athlete--a hockey player naturally--then i'd give my life for a Conn Smythe. Litteraly. Like I wouldn't mind colapsing of a heart attack right after the reception. I'd consider it a life worth living. Why Conn Smythe? Because it nearly automaticly, with two or three exceptions in the history of hockey, implies that the recipient had equally won the Stanley Cup, and the combination of two is just orgasmaic for any hockey fan.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:12 PM
I think it's a million dollar bucks for a nobel, plus a genuine gold medal. But above that you get your name everywhere so you can litteraly print out books (im talking about literature here) with the phrase "i <3 butt secks" printed from start to finish and suckers will buy it.

"From the 2023 Nobel Prize Laureat comes another breath-taking classic..."

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh and you get to hang out with the big nerds (they call them "intellectuals" now I think) and beat them and steal their lunch money. Or their Mercedez Benz. Whatever you fancy.

sKratch
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Perhaps they have sufficient lunch money to buy one?

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah you know with those fancy a-hundred-thousand-a-meal lunches they have nowadays, the worth of a Mercedez might even not suffice them to pay for the meal of their fancy.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Did I just say Fancy three in times in like four sentances? Wtf? I'm high or soemthing.

Yoou fancy my post? Haha.

SkunkIt
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
I'd win an oscar, so I could sell it at a high price.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
HAhahaha did you think that was funny? ^

SkunkIt
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
What was so funny about it? I'd rather sell an oscar, because I will be famous and people will pay me more to act in their movies.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Well, I'll bet you I'm gonna be a big star
might win an Oscar you can never tell
the movies gonna make me a big star
'Cause I can play the part so well

and all I gotta do is act naturally.......

Betty
10-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Holy Vlad.

I chose Nobel Prize, obviously. Or maybe less obviously because for a split second I had debated between that and the lottery. There is no glory in the lottery.

The cool thing is that I can actually potentially win a Nobel Prize. You know what though? You argue that the lottery winning is luck, well it definitely is. But a Nobel Prize... it's talent... it's hard work... but there is definitely a big luck component. A lot of huge discoveries are totally stumbled upon. Not necessarily entirely randomly, but even if a scientist has great ideas, whether they work out is a different matter altogether. And whether their results are absolutely groundbreaking, again a different matter. And I know I will be good, but I also know I will be far from the best, so hell, maybe I'll get lucky.

I suppose you could also argue that winning an Oscar is somewhat lucky too. Lucky to get your big break as a movie star in the first place. Lucky to be cast in the movie that rakes in all the awards, etc.

.:SMASH:.
10-31-2005, 10:07 PM
you win lots of money in the lottery right? i like money. don't you?

Autonomist
10-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I'd like to win the lottery, so I could buy the other two.

wheelchairman
10-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Only assholes win the OSCAR.

I'm Scandinavian, so my chances of winning the nobel prize, will always be higher. Aryan brotherhood in science. Anyways I would say either nobel prize or lottery. Glory or money, would just be means to other things and other priorities for me.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 10:42 PM
What to is glory means to then? I thought glory is the end.

Jews own Aryans anyways in math and science.

GreenTerror
10-31-2005, 10:44 PM
I'd want the Lotto. It's quick, easy, and not too much publicity. Publicity is for losers.

BREAK
10-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I'd only want to win an Oscar (for Best Original Screenplay, of course) so I could refuse to accept it. Hell, I'd refuse to accept my nomination. I'd be pre-emptively iconoclastic.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Or you can just send someone to turn down the oscar on your behalf in protest of America's treatement of native-americans.

Wait, been done already?

wheelchairman
10-31-2005, 11:10 PM
What to is glory means to then? I thought glory is the end.

Jews own Aryans anyways in math and science.
I don't really know. I think I'd be pretty unsatisfied with just glory. Perhaps a means to opening more doors in the art world, to be able to write more, to be able to learn more perhaps.

And that's true, math and science are teh suxorz.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Is learning an end to itself however?

And that's true, math and science are teh suxorz.

Incidently, i'm equally a Slav as y'all know, a people who excelled at fields of literature in particular, so my genetics favour me to win a noble prize as well. I'm just well fucking covered.

T-6005
10-31-2005, 11:39 PM
A Nobel Prize. Just because. People would know you if you'd won an Oscar, and people would know you're filthy rich once you'd declare that you'd won the lottery, but a Nobel Prize?

Most people don't know the names Nobel Prize winners... you declare that sort of thing and it'd be like a huge hush would fall over everyone who talked to you... they'd hold you in awe. Especially if it was true.

It would be awesome.

HornyPope
10-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Addendum to my previous reply:

I just realized that my genes totally exclude me from winning the Noble Peace prize however hahahahahahaha. Okay well I suppose there's Gorbachev and Yitzhak Rabin and I think Peres was nominated one time, but you know they are mere rencouragement for its respective people and a sort of a compensation prize.

Endymion
11-01-2005, 12:05 AM
i'm pretty sure plenty of russians have won physics nobels.

HornyPope
11-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Actually that's true. A lot of Russian Jews too. Or so I heard somewhere from the older folkers who lived in pre-PC time--in days they could single out a race or nation as an entity on its own and analyze its merits and defaults seperatly. Now no one keeps track to avoid potential misunderstands and all.

HornyPope
11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Oh wait I remember once on the old forums you had a short argument with that Vova_guitar_ace kid over whose country had more success in fields of mathematics and science. Didn't read it, just vaguelly remember it existed.

Mota Boy
11-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Did I just say Fancy three in times in like four sentances?
Four times in five sentences.

Most people don't know the names Nobel Prize winners... you declare that sort of thing and it'd be like a huge hush would fall over everyone who talked to you... they'd hold you in awe.
Just fashion it into a giant pendant and wear it everywhere you go.

Fuck, I just realized that option #4 should've been an Olympic gold medal. I've always wanted a gold medal, and it breaks my heart to know that I'm going to have to steal one in order to make my dream come true.

I really don't know. All I know is that I'd never choose the lottery - any schmo can win the lottery, and I ain't just any schmo. I think I'm leaning towards Oscar, 'cause being a cultural icon, particularly a respected one, would be cool and stuff. And I bet the Oscar crowd throws better parties than the Nobel one.

Izie
11-01-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty enough to get an Oscar.

...okay, that was just silly. I'd go for either, but for lottery I'd only go RIGHT NOW, so I can buy myself a citizenship of some decent country. Actually, the Oscar and the Nobel would help the same purpose, but they'd give me less money, and I can't get them right now, and I want it RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

At a point, I'm not sure which I'd like better, the Oscar or the Nobel. Being the arrogant dick I am, prolly the Oscar, simply due to the fact that people who win Oscars are generally more famous. And somehow, I imagine it'd take less serious work, and I'm generally as lazy as they come.

And it's too early in the morning for me to make a coherent reply. I also have a headache. And I hate you all. *grumbles*

Vera
11-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Give me money. I don't want fame. Sure, if I ever become a fantastic author or discover the cure to cancer, give me a Nobel for it but I somehow doubt either is likely to happen.

Izie
11-01-2005, 01:02 AM
But fame is good!

Money is good too though.

I need coffee.

HornyPope
11-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Concerning Claibe's reply, I'm debating whether i'd prefer being a cult icon or an eternal model postmouthsly.

the_GoDdEsS
11-01-2005, 01:19 AM
I can't decide between the lottery and the Nobel.

A Nobel price would be quite an ego stroke and I love those, i.e. accomplishing things so I'd have something to be proud of.

Then again, at the moment I'd want the lottery because life does seem to evolve around having money.

agreth
11-01-2005, 03:37 AM
off that list, the lottery. that'd be fun.

darko
11-01-2005, 03:42 AM
the lottery and get the fuck off this island and pay off all my debts....god-damn student loan

Aimeht
11-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Absolutely the lottery.

memento
11-01-2005, 04:33 AM
I'd chose Nobel price, but in something massive like TOE. Not some gay ass economics or some minor shit no one cares about.

Sports championship, I'd chose Stanley Cup. No Conn Smythe because it's gay and voted for. I have my assits,goals and stats as a formal measure of how well I played. I have my team mates opinoins of the reality of my ability. But the stanley cup bar referee decisions (i.e. Hull's 'goal') is YOURS. It's not judged, it's won. And I too would die because it's a life well done.

Just the same reason I'd wanna win a Boxing bout KO rather than on points.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Lottery. Why? Because I care about money far more than recognition. I wouldn't even hesitate.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
I wanna win the lotto so i can just have money

Betty
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I have this one professor who can list any Nobel prize winner, when it was, what they did, where they went to school, and basically a biography of their lives. He's insane, but hilarious to listen to. He can cite specific papers (Journal blah, blah, issue blah blah, 1963) off the top of his head.

Vlad has a point though... I suppose a few Oscar winners will go down in history, but for the most part, it's more present-day popularity. A Nobel prize winner will go down in history forever.

And I don't know about the party thing. Some of those smart-type people are pretty fun. And some of those movie star-type people are pretty superficial.

bouncingcoles
11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
fuck the oscars. money all the way!!!

Endymion
11-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Top 10 Disadvantages of Winning a Nobel Prize - October 13, 1987

10. You have to get kissed by herring-breathed King Olaf
9. Automatically disqualifies you from being a contestant on "Jeopardy"
8. Dangling medallion could get caught in open blender
7. More junk mail from fly-by-night award-polishing services
6. Distant relatives pestering you for free advice on particle physics
5. Have to get in embarassing kickline at end of ceremony with other winners
4. Friends always borrowing medal for 10% discount at participating Red
Lobsters
3. Run-ins with gangs of Pulitzer prize-winners usually end up in a brawl
2. Sarcasm of postman when he says, "Here's your copy of Big Juggs magazine,
Mr. Nobel Laureate."
1. Don't see a dime from the Mattel Nobel Prize action figures

0r4ng3
11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
The lottery, so I could buy a Nobel Prize and an Oscar.

Original prankstA
11-01-2005, 05:36 PM
The lottery, so I could buy a Nobel Prize and an Oscar.
thats exactly what i was thinking

T-6005
11-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Top 10 Disadvantages of Winning a Nobel Prize - October 13, 1987

10. You have to get kissed by herring-breathed King Olaf
9. Automatically disqualifies you from being a contestant on "Jeopardy"
8. Dangling medallion could get caught in open blender
7. More junk mail from fly-by-night award-polishing services
6. Distant relatives pestering you for free advice on particle physics
5. Have to get in embarassing kickline at end of ceremony with other winners
4. Friends always borrowing medal for 10% discount at participating Red
Lobsters
3. Run-ins with gangs of Pulitzer prize-winners usually end up in a brawl
2. Sarcasm of postman when he says, "Here's your copy of Big Juggs magazine,
Mr. Nobel Laureate."
1. Don't see a dime from the Mattel Nobel Prize action figures

Upon consideration... I could live with that.

pretty fly 88
11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd have to go with the Nobel prize because people who win the lottery aren't as happy as they think they are. In fact, I remember reading stories a long time ago about people who won the lottery and then wasted their money and ended up being unhappy. Winning the Nobel Prize would mean I did something great for the whole world.

0r4ng3
11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
If I do win the lottery, I'm only using it for gas money. That'll last me a good month or two.

bd007h
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
I'd definitley rather win the Lottery.

Offspring7
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
An Oscar, simple as that. i've loved acting my whole life and i've dreamed of winning something like that. the lottery is tempting, but i'd much rather have fame along with the fortune i'd probably have if i was good enough to win an oscar.

Amanda
11-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Can't i have them all? No? Fuck it then, gimme the money...

the_offsprings_monkey
11-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Can't i have them all? No? Fuck it then, gimme the money...
Ohh I love the way you think.