PDA

View Full Version : I'm stealing wireless off someone

memento
11-01-2005, 04:34 AM
It's quite awesome because I don't have my wireless router but I can still use the net on my laptop round the house. AND I can leave my main line to download at full speed and browse with a 1mbit free connection.

Awesomeness.

memento
11-01-2005, 06:35 AM
I still gotta chat to you on AIM. I'm a bit busy this week but next week I will be sure to.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Where bouts do ya live.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 11:14 AM
But...isn't that...gosh...illegal?

memento
11-01-2005, 11:50 AM
I didn't hack it, it's completely open. It's legal as wanking over your sister.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Yea but you gotta feel bad about it yea?

Vera
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
It's legal as wanking over your sister.
Wanking over your sister is something you might want to shut up about online, though.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
haha,the sucker didn't secured his line

memento
11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Wanking over your sister is something you might want to shut up about online, though.

No, no wanking over you would be something to shut up about.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 11:57 AM

I totally disagree. The internet is a place where all manner of sick perverts can find like-minded individuals and feel less freakish. There has to be a community dedicated to wanking over their sisters somewhere, and Dush deserves to find it.

So, it's not illegal to use their connection because they didn't have any kind of security? Are you sure? If someone leaves their car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, you still aren't allowed to take it. I'm aware it's not quite the same, but I thought it would be close enough.

memento
11-01-2005, 12:01 PM
That analogy does not apply because the car isn't on my property. The radiowaves are on my property I can therefore use them if I am not using any hacking methods. I am pretty sure of this. INFACT it's impossible NOT to use it for lay person. Windows automatically connected to it. I didn't do anything.

But I fear that I will end up on a quest to find the relevant laws and get obessed like it did with your other question that I STILL HAVE YET to find the freakin answer to anywhere. Gah.

ninthlayer
11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Most secure connections aren't even secure because people are fucking newbs and don't change the default password (admin). At least that's how it is around here.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Alright, I'll find something better to compare it to. Howabout television? If you plugged in a tv on your property you'd pick up the bbc, automatically and without doing anything yourself. But if you hadn't paid for the service you would be breaking the law. This has to be exactly the same thing, doesn't it?

memento
11-01-2005, 12:09 PM
That is an interesting comparason indeed. The BBC is a public company established by Statute. Next door aren't but the analogy still applies.

But this is all really gay cause none of us know what the law is. I am reading a white paper on it now and will post something later. If only Endy was on.

Vera
11-01-2005, 12:13 PM
No, no wanking over you would be something to shut up about.
I generally agree. In the future, feel free to not inform me about these things.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Vera, is that a general policy of don't ask/don't tell? Or does it apply only to Dush?

Dush, I don't need to know the law. I only need to intrigue you and you'll do the homework and let me know. It's a very symbiotic relationship.

memento
11-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Haha I just read some shit on ZDnet and they're like "there is a grey area in the law" using my situation as an example (automatically picking up and using a neighbours wireless net). So as such there is no law on the matter. But who knows? The courts in these matters seem to decide cases on what the law ought to be rather than what it is.

So it probably would be illegal (even though no law extends to the situation) but without malious intent I doubt it would result in anything but damages awarded to the amount they went over their bandwith by.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:28 PM
So it would probably require the service provider to be aware of what you are doing and seek damages?

memento
11-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Na if the guy goes over his bandwith he will be like wtf and if he's smart enough he'll think "hey this "dushlaptop" on my network is using bandwidth, maybe he is the reason I went over, I will take him to court and sue for Tortious damges"

But in reality how can he prove how much bandwith I used? He can't. The router doesn't log it. Even if it did I could accuse someone of changing hte records since it's open anyway. He'd have to prove he has suffered loss due to my actions. I don't think he could. Becuase I HIGHLY doubt it would be actionable per se

Also the guy is probably some Paki/Indian who doesn't understand computers.

Vera
11-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Vera, is that a general policy of don't ask/don't tell? Or does it apply only to Dush?
I've always just assumed he's the only one with anything to tell. I'm not that hot.

notoriousdoc
11-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Also the guy is probably some Paki/Indian who doesn't understand computers.
Ah, but he is Asian and therefore has copious amounts of video cameras in a room in his house

memento
11-01-2005, 12:39 PM
What the hell is going on here? That sister thing was a joke. Also I've never said I wank over you.

I can never ever tell now days what's serious with you or not!

It's like the time I go I wanked over you when I was on the phone with you. That was total sarcasm, I was goiing on about how sick I was. I just don't know if you get it sometimes so take everything seriously.

But maybe you just pwned me by making me explain obvious things. Your smarts are too much for me.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Vera, this is the internet. Hotness should be based mostly on intelligence, humour and personality. Maybe it's just me, but what any of you actually look like doesn't matter at all to me. You're hot.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Dush, I now totally believe you wank over her on a regular basis. That's ok though, your masturbatory habits are of no interest to me. Anyway, surely the service provider could sue if you are using their service for free, couldn't they?

Idiot
11-01-2005, 12:47 PM
It is illegal what you are doing. But in the unlikely event of getting caught, you could just claim that Windows connected to it automatically and you weren't aware what was going on. Also, like you say, the idiot hasn't secured his connection, which would further back up Windows automatically connecting to it.

memento
11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
nope I doubt it becuase they provide X amount of bandwith and whoever uses it, it doesn't matter cuase it's on the same account. The only person that could bring action would be the owner of the account. Because the ISP has suffered no loss.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Surely the ISP has suffered a loss if someone is using their service for free. They could argue lost revenue, because if the individual wasn't receiving it for free he'd probably be paying for it.

notoriousdoc
11-01-2005, 12:54 PM
ISPs are big faceless corporations, bleed 'em for all they've got

Vera
11-01-2005, 12:54 PM
That sister thing was a joke.

I can never ever tell now days what's serious with you or not!
Ditto. Though nowadays I tend to go by this "if-the-joke-sucks-he's-joking"-rule.

memento
11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
FYI: currently I am wanking over the cutest chick I ever did see. She's in my environmental class. The only problem with her is she doesn't have nice nails. Jessica Alba also makes appearences so do random chicks I know. But currently Sanni isn't in there. I'll try and slot her in sometime.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
It took me a moment to realize that by "currently" you didn't mean at this exact moment in time.

notoriousdoc
11-01-2005, 12:58 PM
It took me a moment to realize that by "currently" you didn't mean at this exact moment in time.
He might be...

memento
11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Surely the ISP has suffered a loss if someone is using their service for free. They could argue lost revenue, because if the individual wasn't receiving it for free he'd probably be paying for it.

No they coudln't. Becuase that argument would lead to absuridites. The ISP contracts with a person to supply the internet. It is then that persons responsibilty, not the ISP. Otherwise the ISP coudl argue that the more people that use the net in that house (kids etc.) mean they are loosing revenue. When woudl it end? The "flood gates of litigation would open" and courts hate that.

Also there's competition in the market. I mean I don't have to contract with that particular ISP. Also I have my own ISP in my house with no caps. I can use that. It's merely convience. They cannot prove they are losing out on revenue becuase I already have a connection and you cannot have two ADSL ISP's on the same phone line.

memento
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Ditto. Though nowadays I tend to go by this "if-the-joke-sucks-he's-joking"-rule.

I'm gonna stop talking to you cause you hurt my feelings one too many times.

Edit: all my threads turn into legal discussions with talk about my masturbatory habits. wtf.

Paint_It_Black
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Was that serious? That's sad.

memento
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah that was entirely serious.