PDA

View Full Version : My car is sick.

nieh
11-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Two nights ago, it started making a weird squealing sound which me and my friends that actually know what they're talking about agreed was probably a belt being fucked up. Yesterday morning I started my car and the squealing was gone, but my power steering wasn't working. About a minute later, the power steering kicked on and the squealing came back at the exact same time. I went in to work and drove to the dealer afterwards to get it fixed only to find out they close at 5 on Mondays (it's every OTHER day of the week that they're open til 7, fuckers). So yeah, I ended up starting my car back up and like in the morning, the power steering wasn't working and the squealing was gone, but neither seemed to be coming back. I turned it off, opened my hood and fiddled the belt, turned the car back on, and the steering and the squealing were both back (yay?). Anyway, this morning when I started my car, the steering wasn't working again. I tried doing the same thing I did last night, but it didn't help. I tried driving to work, minus the power steering (you'd be surprised how hard that can make some turns when you're only going at like 5 miles/hr), after about 5 minutes, my blinkers stopped working and my car just stalled in the middle of the road and wouldn't start back up. Luckilly it was right in front of some local burger/coffee place that the cops hang out at, so one of them used their car to push me into the lot. I called a tow truck who's going to bring my car over to my dealer and they're going to fix it. I hope it's nothing expensive.

the_GoDdEsS
11-01-2005, 07:11 AM
I think it must be the bird flu.

Good luck with getting it fixed. =) Sick cars make me sad.

Rag Doll
11-01-2005, 07:17 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. good luck with your car. hopefully you can get it fixed without it costing too much. i hate when cars are all screwed up. we just spent like $1000 on my car, and one of the problems is back.

nieh
11-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Good news: if it IS just the belt, then it won't be that expensive to fix. Bad news: my car has over 120,000 miles on it, so the odds of it being just the belt are not too great, even if I do take pretty decent care of it.

nieh
11-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Ok, so it's not just the belt, it's the thing that turns the belt too. That fell out of place and wasn't working, and that caused the belt to stretch out. I need a new one of those, a new belt, and something else that I don't remember. Also, my battery was LEAKING, so I need to get a new one of those. Total for parts and labor: $560. He said it comes to something like $650 after tax and whatever else there was. I'm not sure if he factored the towing into that but I hope he did.

notoriousdoc
11-01-2005, 11:42 AM
You should fix your car.
You should stop masturbating and get a decent job

Isolated Fury
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
You should stop masturbating and get a decent job
Dude...Grow up. Just drop it.

ayahuasca
11-29-2005, 12:32 AM
So yeah, my car is making weird sounds when I'm holding the break. I was in stop and go traffic all day yesterday and when I was stopping my car was making weird noises. So I don't know what the fuck is wrong, and don't want to spend money to fix it. It made it six hours with the noise, I think it is ok.

Kitten
11-29-2005, 05:30 AM
So yeah, my car is making weird sounds when I'm holding the break. I was in stop and go traffic all day yesterday and when I was stopping my car was making weird noises. So I don't know what the fuck is wrong, and don't want to spend money to fix it. It made it six hours with the noise, I think it is ok.

Was it kind of a grinding noise?

Just a Girl
11-29-2005, 06:51 AM
my car is poorly too :( and oh, the lack of power steering does make it surprisingly difficult to turn corners! my car didn't have power steering in the first place, but the car i learnt in did. anyhoo, i think the starter motor's gone on mine. which is probably bad, because it's a very old car, and so it's probably gonna be expensive to replace. rubbish :(

i feel your broken-car pain

Back in Black
11-29-2005, 06:53 AM
stop reviving threads.

Preocupado
11-29-2005, 07:33 AM
if the squealing ever starts again, turn on the engine and hold a piece of paraffin against the inner side of the spinning belt. The squealing reduces A LOT and you get yourself a few weeks of silence. (just don't loose a finger doing it)

nieh
11-29-2005, 07:44 AM

If it was only when you were stopping, it's porbably the brake pads.

my car is poorly too :( and oh, the lack of power steering does make it surprisingly difficult to turn corners! my car didn't have power steering in the first place, but the car i learnt in did. anyhoo, i think the starter motor's gone on mine. which is probably bad, because it's a very old car, and so it's probably gonna be expensive to replace. rubbish :(

i feel your broken-car pain

My car is all better now. For the time being in any case. But yeah, losing power steering makes turning a lot harder than I ever expected. It's not a problem when you're moving kinda fast, but when you're in a parking lot or you're on small roads and you're going like 5mph, it's a pain in the ass.