PDA

View Full Version : The new journal of Dexter

Tired_Of_You
11-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Sorry, but I still can't read the journals and I tried to find if someone posted it on the bbs but I didn't find it. So anyone could post it here please?
Thanks.

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
wait a minute :)

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Day 7

Song stuck in my head today: Tehran

Today I flew out of the Middle East. My first stop today was Hyderabad, India, but to get there, I had to fly over Iran and Pakistan. There‘s something a little weird about talking to a controller who calls himself ‘Tehran Air Traffic Control‘. I don‘t know, maybe it‘s just me! Anyway, he cleared me to fly over Pakistan. I hung a right at Karachi and as I did I looked down at it and thought about all the unrest that had been happening
there. I gotta admit, the city did have sort of an ominous look to it. I was glad not to be landing there.

I went on to Hyderabad, which is right in the middle of India, and stopped for gas. I took off again, this time headed for Bangkok, Thailand. To get there, I had to fly for a couple hours over the Indian Ocean. I decided that oceans really look pretty similar. The Indian Ocean sounds sort of exotic, like it would be more blue or something. But not really. Pretty much the
same.

As I descended into Bangkok, I thought about the show we had played there just a few months ago. It was our first time to play in Bangkok, and the show was really cool. It always trips me out the first time we go somewhere, especially somewhere really far away like Bangkok, where they don‘t speak the language and they have a totally different culture, and yet they come out to the show. They even know all the words, even though they don‘t know English. It‘s pretty awesome.

Yeah, my job sucks!

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Well, today‘s the first day of my trip and I‘ve gone from Los Angeles to Goose Bay, Canada. Not a whole lot going on in Goose Bay. Except a whole lot of cold, that is! The temperature here is about 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 C for you international types) which is way chilly for my California ass! Goose Bay is a good place to stop for the night because it‘s right on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, so it‘s a good jumping off point to ‘cross the pond‘, as they say in pilot-speak. The trip is going great for the first day and crossing the Atlantic tomorrow will definitely be one of the highlights. I‘ll try to check in to keep everyone posted – later.

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Day 2 – Crossing the Atlantic.

This morning‘s flight was early and cold but it made for a nice view leaving Goose Bay. Now if you‘ve never heard of Goose Bay, you‘re probably not alone. It‘s a very small town in Newfoundland. It‘s also not a very happening vacation destination. But it‘s a good stop because it‘s on the far eastern coast of Canada, so you gas up there and start heading across the Atlantic.

If I had a plane like John Travolta, I could take it nonstop to Europe. But my plane (a Cessna Citation CJ2) is not quite that buff, so I need to find a place to get some gas on the way. So my first stop today was Reykjavik, Iceland. That flight is entirely over the water of the North Atlantic, so I had a lot of time to contemplate that there was a whole lot of nothing around and no place to land if you have a problem! But the flight went great. About halfway through I flew over the tip of Greenland, which was all huge ice and snow-covered mountains. Very cool looking.

I had been told that there was an active volcano on Iceland, and I might not be able to land there. Which is just fine with me, as I generally avoid volcanoes. When I got close, though, I was cleared to land. Iceland is a beautiful country and pretty snowy this time of year.

After gassing up I took off again, this time for Dublin, Ireland. This flight was also a few hours at night over the North Atlantic, not a real hospitable part of the world. It makes for an exciting flight, though. You start thinking about stuff like whether your affairs are in order! Do I have a will? Not really, it was a cool few hours and a welcome sight to see the coast of Ireland. The city looked super cool coming in at night and it‘s awesome to be in Dublin!

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Day 4

Well, I had a great time in Dublin. Dublin‘s known for being the home of Guinness ale and people swear it‘s the best glass of Guinness you‘ll get anywhere, because it‘s just fresher there. In fact, I think some pubs claim to have a direct pipeline from the Guinness brewery! So I had to stop into a pub and have a pint or two. It would have been rude not to. I have to admit, it was really good. If you‘re ever in the neighborhood (of Dublin) I highly recommend that you stop in and try some.

So today I took off from Dublin and flew down through Europe. I passed right over Paris, and gave the city a what‘s up shoutout as I flew by. Over the next hour I rolled over Geneva, Switzerland and most of Italy before landing in Rome for gas. Too bad I wasn‘t staying, Rome is such a cool city. Just don‘t drive when you‘re there.

After fueling I took off again, headed for Cairo, Egypt. This flight was really cool, it was night and I was flying straight across the Mediterranean. I took a left at Crete and headed towards Egypt. There‘s something really cool about flying at night over a strange place. It was super dark out, just the wind noise on the plane and tons of stars out.

Now they warned me that Cairo was, believe it or not, recently hit by a locust swarm! How Biblical. I was told that I might not be able to land there. Which is just fine with me, as I generally avoid locusts. I guess, though, the swarm passed through or to the side and I was cleared to land.

Cairo seems so different from European cities cause it‘s just not a Western city. It feels very cool, though, to be in such a wild and historic city.

I will tell you all more later.

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Day 5 – Cairo

Song stuck in my head today: Rock The Casbah

Dude, I should have gotten sponsored! I didn‘t think of it till now, but people making trips are always getting sponsored. I could like, put a big ‘Skoal‘ sticker on the side of my plane, or ‘Cingular Wireless‘ on the tail.

Well, maybe not. This trip is full on independent, DIY style. It‘s sort of like a glorified road trip, really. Every morning I get in the plane and go a little farther. The plane is stocked with Doritos and beef jerky, there‘s lots of maps all over, and there‘s clothes and other assorted junk in the back. If I just had a dog hanging its tongue out the window I‘d be all set.

So today I was in Cairo, which is of course a Muslim country, and sort of the beginning of my time in the Middle East. To most Americans, the Middle East seems like a scary and dangerous place, and I really wasn‘t sure what to expect. I‘ve certainly seen enough horrible images of bombings and hostages to think twice about coming at all. But I found it to be much less sketchy than I would have thought.

To be sure, there were signs of a post-9/11 world. When I took a taxi to the hotel, the hotel rolled a mirror under the car to check for car bombs! And when you walk into a hotel, you have to go through a metal detector just like at an airport. I was never hassled, though, even when the detector went off. Luckily for me, racial profiling probably works in my favor! Just kidding, was that one in bad taste? Anyway, what surprised me is how friendly people were toward me and how they wanted to talk about the world situation. They wanted to stress to me that Islam is a peaceful religion, and the acts of a few extremists do not reflect on their religion as a whole. They pointed out that there are religious zealots in all religions, even Christianity. For example, they said, what about Christian fanatics that bomb abortion clinics – does this make us think that all. Christians are violent or dangerous? Of course not.

Believe it or not, some people were even pro-American! I couldn‘t believe it. They talked about the vast amounts of foreign aid the the US gives countries in the Middle East every year, and some even said that they were glad that Saddam is gone! They were also frustrated with the dangerous image that the Middle East has now. They blamed the media for sensationalizing certain events, making it seem like the whole region is like that all the time. I thought that was a really good point. How many times have I watched CNN showing kidnappings, or suicide bombings, or demonstrations in the streets, and thought, this must be how it is everywhere over there all the time?

Now, I don‘t want to get into whether we should be in Iraq or not, or whether Bush is bad or not, because it‘s a really divisive and complicated situation. However, I thought it was a very enlightening and educational experience to actually talk to the people that are living it.

Overall, Cairo was a mellow, cool place and I‘m glad I stopped there.

My flight today took me four hours over Saudi Arabia to a tiny country called United Arab Emirates. I landed in a city called Dubai, and as I flew towards Dubai, I actually flew over the Persian Gulf. Wild. It was night, there were lots of oil patforms in the gulf, and they all had fires burning on them. I gotta admit, being by yourself in a plane over the Persian Gulf at night with the orange glowing fires under you is a creepy experience. It was for me. But hey, that‘s life.

I will tell you more tomorrow.

Tired_Of_You
Thanks, I didn't ask that much :o , I only wanted the last journal, hehe

saska de o...
Day 6 – Dubai

Song of the day: Still rockin‘ the Casbah

When I got to Dubai, something became obvious pretty fast: this is not a poor country. It looks like somebody had a pretty nice oil field around. The city looks brand new and very westerniized, meaning there‘s as much KFC chicken in this town as there are lamb skewers! But the Muslim angle here is very obvious as well – all the dudes are wearing the full on white gowns and headgear (called aghals). It definitely feels like a foreign country.

I would call Dubai the Las Vegas of the Middle East. The city is very flashy, very touristy, and very expensive. In fact, one resort here is building little islands that make up a replica of the earth! I shit you not, Mel Gibson already bought England. I stayed at one of the nicest places you‘ll find anywhere, called the Burj al Arab. It‘s about 1000 feet tall and shaped like a giant sail. This city is too much, I‘m telling you. In fact, I read that Bill Gates is going to start having Microsoft conventions there, cause he likes the way they‘re handling their IT development. Crazy. So hurry up and get out here, I think you can still buy California!

The time difference from my home in Los Angeles is now 12 hours, so I guess that means I‘m officially on the other side of the world.

I will tell you more later.

saska de o...
11-29-2004, 01:07 PM
ok :D it's for all of us who cant read Dexter's journal :D:D

Nepthys
11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
direct link to the journals: http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journalList

Moose
11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
seriously though...thats awesome.

Tired_Of_You
11-29-2004, 04:18 PM
direct link to the journals: http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journalList

The problem isn't that I didn't know where it was, it's that I can only see half of the journals because of an unknown reason.