PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with the new Measures?

yay
11-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Do you agree with the new Measures board moderators are taking? All 14 have agreed on a certain set of rules, which were delivered by Horny Pope. I personally agree with them. They're not saying people cant argue with eachother, but basically saying cant do it excessively and to the extent where it ruins the spirit of the forum.

Since they've anticipated a thread being opened devoted to your comments on the issue, Please post them in this thread. Also answer the poll above. Be sure not to post anything or vote on anything until you have actually read the instructions. Here is a link to the thread which details the new rules: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17989

memento
11-02-2005, 01:27 AM
If it is applied equally to all posters, I am fully in agreement.

Not Ozymandias
11-02-2005, 01:27 AM
yay should have all its posts deleted.

yay
11-02-2005, 01:36 AM
yay should have all its posts deleted.Now why is this my friend?

Not Ozymandias
11-02-2005, 02:01 AM
yay should have all its posts deleted.
And so should its half-dozen other screennames.

The_Hombre
11-02-2005, 02:19 AM
And so should its half-dozen other screennames.

You mean he's a troll? What other screen names do you suspect he has?

And yes, if everyone is treated equally, like memento said, I agree. Trolling and spamming cannot be tolerated (I admit I am guilty of the latter - only once though).

memento
11-02-2005, 02:35 AM
We're all guilty of it. The amount of times I've pretended to be on a side of an argument just for 'arguments' sake is trolling IMO. I do it alot.

Tizzalicious
11-02-2005, 02:37 AM
You mean he's a troll? What other screen names do you suspect he has?

And yes, if everyone is treated equally, like memento said, I agree. Trolling and spamming cannot be tolerated (I admit I am guilty of the latter - only once though).

He used to be a spammer and had a lot of accounts. He made a topic about it once.

There is no reason why his "yay" account should be deleted now though, at least, as far as I'm concerned.

The_Hombre
11-02-2005, 04:50 AM
We're all guilty of it. The amount of times I've pretended to be on a side of an argument just for 'arguments' sake is trolling IMO. I do it alot.

An intelligent person can see both sides of an argument (if it is a valid one) but only choose one to go with.

Sometimes I have sided with an argument on here that I wouldn't necesarily agree with in real life, not to elict a reaction, but it is sometimes a bit of fun and if people don't use it excessively can be relatively harmless. I don't consider that trolling.

FOLDOC's defintion of trolls: Click Me (http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=troll)

Tijs
11-02-2005, 05:29 AM
I wanted to make a thread like this before, because I haven't seen any of these rules and things before it was put on the board. So I never said I agree or dis-agree with it.
I read HornyPope's post and I'm not sure if I agree with it or not. When the administrator made a thread about the moderator nominations there were a few guidelines we should follow. I have the feeling that isn't the case anymore.

memento
11-02-2005, 05:32 AM
I agree the mods have over-stepped their constituting role as mentioned during the voting (remove image, spam etc.) They have no sort to include trolling as a form of spam to fit into that role and thus legitamise the current action. But that seems to be the general consensus of the board. I personally don't think it's right but if it's applied equally I'll be fine with it.

wheelchairman
11-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Tijs, we had a hard time getting reach of you. Especially since you post below most of our radars so to speak.

We are taking these actions because the Administrator ignores us, ignores our queeries for aid, and has basically abandoned us.

Dush, this is a bbs. You need to hm.... tone the legal stuff down a bit?

Tizzalicious
11-02-2005, 05:36 AM
I think trolling is a sort of spam. That's what trolls do, they spam.

Tijs
11-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Tijs, we had a hard time getting reach of you. Especially since you post below most of our radars so to speak.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/member.php?u=41

Click 'Send a private message to Tijs'.
or
Click 'Send a message via email to Tijs'.
or
ask Tizz, I see her online plenty of times.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2005, 05:40 AM
If the admin would listen to us, we wouldn't have to introduce measures like this. We've all tried, we've begged and pleaded, and I for one have only ever recieved emails like "we're looking into it" and then nothing happens. It's gotten endlessly frustrating so we're having to take things into our own hands.

And I think the fact the 14 moderators have to agree on post deletion means any kind of bias is removed.

wheelchairman
11-02-2005, 05:49 AM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/member.php?u=41

Click 'Send a private message to Tijs'.
or
Click 'Send a message via email to Tijs'.
or
ask Tizz, I see her online plenty of times.
Yeah, but we were going to have Ken tell you. Or so was the plan.

memento
11-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Dush, this is a bbs. You need to hm.... tone the legal stuff down a bit?

It's fun! [for me, I enjoy talking rubbish] In my mind the BBS is a mini society. Yeah I'm a nerd.

Still fact remains you guys weren't meant to do things like this, only meant to delete inapropriate pics, personal information etc. Not delete a users posts no matter if they're spam or not. And trolling is a leap IMO. Trolling can be interpreted in tons of things people post specifically Nazi stuff Justin posts or the favorite abortion topic in politics. They're all specifically posted to get a reaction.

I now even wonder if I should post topics. In the past I've posted what is now considered spam like random threads saying I'm going to sleep. I feel I am only able to post here now if I have something really worhwhile saying. But maybe that's the whole point of the exercise.

Tizzalicious
11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
WTF? Moderators are supposed to delete spam.

wheelchairman
11-02-2005, 07:50 AM
It's fun! [for me, I enjoy talking rubbish] In my mind the BBS is a mini society. Yeah I'm a nerd.

Still fact remains you guys weren't meant to do things like this, only meant to delete inapropriate pics, personal information etc. Not delete a users posts no matter if they're spam or not. And trolling is a leap IMO. Trolling can be interpreted in tons of things people post specifically Nazi stuff Justin posts or the favorite abortion topic in politics. They're all specifically posted to get a reaction.

I now even wonder if I should post topics. In the past I've posted what is now considered spam like random threads saying I'm going to sleep. I feel I am only able to post here now if I have something really worhwhile saying. But maybe that's the whole point of the exercise.
You're feeling too paranoid. What was Wishomie's downfall was that he was a character not even an amateur would create. He literally had 3 catch phrases, and that was it. For over a year that was all he did. The mods warned him first, and then deleted him. It's not like we enjoy it, it took me a long time to delete 217 posts, a VERY long time.

In your mini society. Let's say the mods were appointed to get rid of the worst garbage. The mods were voted into power, and were guaranteed it by the Admin. The Admin would always be there to do what we were not warranted to do.

What do we do when the Admin leaves? Either way, the mods have been here for 5 years, or so. We know better than the Admin what's best for this community. Seeing as it's like a home to most of us, in a way. At a time it was a community we even administrated ourselves (on LJ, and on the offspring BBS itself) with no problems.

I would agree with you, since I don't like people overstepping their own right to power myself :). However the Admin really ditched us, gave us the responsibility to clean the forums and enforce the rules, without a real means for doing so.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Ohh Im the white ghetto gangsta, and No I do not agree with them "rules".

XYlophonetreeZ
11-02-2005, 08:30 AM
The two "no" votes were probably wishomie and one of his troll accounts.

T-6005
11-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Not that I completely agree, but I agree far more than I disagree. I hesitated and almost voted Undecided, though.

memento
11-02-2005, 08:42 AM
OK WCM I generally agree with you. And it's true the admin left so you guys had to adapt. I'm still at unease with the trolling leap, I just think it happens alot with other posts (like I said abortion, nazis etc.) but the rule won't be enforced equally.

But dude if it takes you that long to delete posts don't do it, unless it's threads which really do clog up the board and I fuckin hate. Esp. with the new ignore list addin for firefox I posted there's really no need in threads unless it's nasty pics/personal info. ANd man that thing works a charm. No more HAU!

wheelchairman
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
What we're aiming at is more preventive, than it is punitive.

Vera
11-02-2005, 09:19 AM
I'll say I don't like the fact that we were resorted to doing this. I didn't enjoy doing it. It wasn't just about us, though. What I mean is, we didn't do it because we hate wishomie and don't like his posts. We did it because a great majority of regular posters didn't like his posts - they contributed nothing, were annoying and pointless - and thought he was an idiot. A lot of people who I consider idiots thought wishomie was an idiot - that tells you something.

In retrospect, I'm glad we did it. Like Per said, it's how we dealt with the situation where the Admin is gone or can't be reached for a long, long time. I don't believe in banning so much but sometimes it's necessary. This time, IMO, it was.

.:SMASH:.
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
i think its a great idea. but will anyone get a warning or will they just automatically get punnished?

the_GoDdEsS
11-02-2005, 11:57 AM
I agree with what Vera said.

And I also think we should have a place which all 14 of us can access regularly to discuss things. Because this only reached the people who were on MSN at that time and we agreed on telling the others but it's really not the same to just be told. You need to discuss this with everybody.

Also, before we go on with this, I suggest we always agree whom to delete and why to delete and have a clear yes from everybody and maybe even some support from the posters.

wheelchairman
11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
It would be smart if one of us created a forum with EZboards or something.

SkunkIt
11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Do ....rules
Did Yay just post something intelligent? :eek:

HornyPope
11-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Wishomie was spamming. We're mandated to get rid of spam. We've acted up on it.

We hope these measures will be of any effect on a number of other users, and the ammount of spamming on the board will decrease all together. Mind you, the rest of you are not affected. No one is going after you just because you made one crappy post. Or two crappy posts or whatever. This measure applies to excessive trolls who cross the line to become spammers.

Don't cry. We're not killing him. We merely prevent him posting on those boards under the shape that he is. You can still talk to him on aim if you like him so much. Or invite him posting in another board. See what the moderators there have to say. Heh.

.:SMASH:.
11-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Wishomie was spamming. We're mandated to get rid of spam. We've acted up on it.

We hope these measures will be of any effect on a number of other users, and the ammount of spamming on the board will decrease all together. Mind you, the rest of you are not affected. No one is going after you just because you made one crappy post. Or two crappy posts or whatever. This measure applies to excessive trolls who cross the line to become spammers.

Don't cry. We're not killing him. We merely prevent him posting on those boards under the shape that he is. You can still talk to him on aim if you like him so much. Or invite him posting in another board. See what the moderators there have to say. Heh.
this is the best idea ever done. i salute the moderators

Kerr
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
I am 100% with the idea. I think it will help in getting rid of all the unecessary crap/users, and really should have been done before. But I don't lay any blame for the mods not enforcing this before as they didn't know the admin would go on vacation, hence assumed they'd do the banning, so air play. Still, it WOULD have come in hand for then Richie made about a thousand trolls. They are introducing the rule now, so it's all good.

yay
11-02-2005, 12:31 PM
And so should its half-dozen other screennames.The thing is, I haven't used any of my other screennames in ages now, and I gave up being annoying with this account, when I received a warning from a moderator via pm. I don't think the way I am currently behaving is grounds to be deleted, because I haven't done anything. The problem with these rules are, that Moderators are going to have to be certain that it's definately a user using multiple accounts before they go and delete posts for that reason.

Currently their is a user who looks a lot like Wishmoie called Wisconsin Homer posting spam about being deleted. I'm being accused by one user right now of being this guy. I hope moderators don't have the tunnel vision some users do, and accept all possibilities.

EDIT: Thankyou to the mods for deleting his posts.

ninthlayer
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
If you don't act like a preteen twat you wont have any problems with the new guidelines, deal with it. At least we selected mods that explain themselves, if I were in their position I wouldn't feel inclined to explain myself on anything.