PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Night

Mota Boy
11-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I saw Christmas decorations across from the Halloween costumes when I was frantically seeking out a Halloween costum at Wal-Mart last Friday, and I passed two houses with Christmas lights up last weekend. Just now a friend of mine asked me whether or not it'd be appropriate to start playing Christmas songs now, just to get a quick fix. I convinced her to wait until the end of the month.

I love Christmas, but I just keep getting the feeling that it's the horrible, blob-like holiday that has already consumed Thanksgiving and is slowly digesting Halloween. Watch the fuck out, Labor Day.

T-6005
11-02-2005, 10:55 PM
To tell the truth, I had never really considered thanksgiving a holiday until I moved to North America. Same goes for Halloween... I haven't partied this intensely for Halloween... well, ever. Halloween was definitely not bloblike to me.

However, the pervasiveness of Christmas does get on my nerves occasionally. The holiday is so fixed and rotational that everything is done the exact same way every year - the presents are pretty much the only spark of originality that changes from year to year. The rest of Christmas doesn't truly seem like a holiday, but more like a formula.

Endymion
11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
i know someone that's got a christmas tree up in their living room right now.

Betty
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I don't think this is a recent occurence, it has been happening for as far back as I can remember.

I can relate though, I went to the drug store today to capitalize on the 75% off Halloween chocolates, and the store was 100% decked out in Christmas attire. When I went to the dollar store last week to look for Halloween costume/decoration items, the store had basically moved the remnants of its Halloween stock to a small corner and filled up the major part of its seasonal section with Christmas junk.

Haven't seen any lights yet though...

At least Christmas is, for the most part, a very major and happy holiday. The "Christmas season" can consume up to probaby one month of the year what with the preparations, holidays, and aftermath (ie New Year's, etc.). I think making a big fuss a month ahead of time for things like Mother's day or Valentine's day is a lot more ridiculous. And god forbid the mid-July back to school sales.

Tizzalicious
11-03-2005, 01:16 AM
It's happening here too. We have this other holiday called Sinterklaas though, on December 5th, which is some Dutch versian of Santa, when the kids get their presents, they don't believe in Santa here (tell some kid you used to believe in Santa and he'll laugh at you.), so I think the Christmas decorations should stay away until after that. It's just not right.

Sin Studly
11-03-2005, 01:40 AM
:( I used to believe in Santa. I felt betrayed when I learned the truth :(

HeadAroundU
11-03-2005, 02:06 AM
I wanna be baby going through this wonderfull holy day again!
Childhood is best part of life.
:)

the_GoDdEsS
11-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Yeah, we got the same trend. Christmas decoration in stores in October? I mean, calm the fuck down. It kills the joy and makes it less special.

JoY
11-03-2005, 04:31 AM
I played a gypsy Christmas cd the other day. but only because it's fucking awesome.

I haven't seen much of good ol' Santa in Amsterdam yet. the supermarkets are filled with Sinterklaas-stuff though, as Tizz mentioned. but Tizzle, Sinterklaas isn't a Dutch version of Santa. Santa is an American version of Sinterklaas.

Sin Studly
11-03-2005, 05:23 AM
No, it's a Western version of the Turkish Saint Nicholas.

Tizzalicious
11-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I played a gypsy Christmas cd the other day. but only because it's fucking awesome.

I haven't seen much of good ol' Santa in Amsterdam yet. the supermarkets are filled with Sinterklaas-stuff though, as Tizz mentioned. but Tizzle, Sinterklaas isn't a Dutch version of Santa. Santa is an American version of Sinterklaas.

Hmmm, yeah I know, but this was the easy way to explain.

Go to the top floor of V&D. Filled with Christmas stuff. And they were playing Christmas songs in Claire's (go there btw) when I was shopping today.

coke_a_holic
11-03-2005, 12:53 PM
No, it's a Western version of the Turkish Saint Nicholas.
I remember Saint Nicholas as being Swedish, but I'm not 100% sure.

dalaksta
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I love Christmas, but I just keep getting the feeling that it's the horrible, blob-like holiday that has already consumed Thanksgiving and is slowly digesting Halloween. Watch the fuck out, Labor Day.
thats what ive been saying for the last two months.
why does that always happen? are people just overly excited about a holiday where they get free gifts from their children spoiling parents and realtives?

Sin Studly
11-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Stupid nationalistic dutch fuckers, it's Turkish. Learn history.

Original prankstA
11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
like i care
1) nobody was talking to you
2) quoteing yourself is for faggots

Original prankstA
11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
really?????????????
yes and also quoteing posts that arent funny is for faggots

Original prankstA
11-03-2005, 05:22 PM
your not taking me suriously...are you???

Offspring7
11-03-2005, 05:30 PM
tiphani can't wait for christmas. but i've stopped feeling the childhood spirit of it so its not as exciting. in the past years i used to deck out my room and lights and red and green decorations and a mini christmas tree, but its too tedious now. my parents have told me to start my christmas list now though, and i'm a little excited.

Tired_Of_You
11-03-2005, 05:53 PM
One of my neighbour has Christmas decorations on their house all year long. That's horrible in the middle of July.

That Punk Kid You Love
11-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I put on my hoodie and my bandana. Fixed my hair up all pretty like usual. I kept gettin called "Gangsta Steve". Im gonna do the same thing on Christmas Day exept Im gonna be like "Yo mothafucka gimme my fuckin Christmas presents before I pop a cap in dis hizzy!" Its probably just gonna be moms n me.

That_Guy91
11-04-2005, 01:53 PM
why is this thread still here? this was the thought of last night.

Trippy
11-04-2005, 01:54 PM
It's because some idiot bumped it up.

That_Guy91
11-04-2005, 01:55 PM
thats the second time youve done that. with the deleting and whatnot.

Trippy
11-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Nope, it wasn't me, some of the mods, don't blame me now.

the_GoDdEsS
11-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Why don't you start being a decent poster?

0r4ng3
11-04-2005, 03:37 PM
why is this thread still here? this was the thought of last night.
It's not as if he can close a thread after a day. I've had polls of the day go well into a week.

Mota Boy
11-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I never billed my thoughts as being original, I billed them as being my thoughts. The fact that most of them just happen to be wildly original and entertaining ideas is a side effect of the fact that I fucking rock, another side effect being that I won a game of "Who killed McCarthy" (My commie friend's version of Clue) last night. Just in case you were wondering, it was Kruschev with the revolver in Cuba.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-04-2005, 07:04 PM
*Giggles* well played.

Mota Boy
11-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Yet another side effect.

Sin Studly
11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I killed Trotsky with the ice-pick in Mexico.