PDA

View Full Version : Bands/Songs you would love but can't stand listening to because of the singer

nieh
11-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Sparta - Cut Your Ribbon (I love the beginning)
Thursday - Signals Over the Air (I like the whole song, but especially the beginning)
a large portion of the new Blood Brothers album
a large portion of Fugazi songs
a somewhat small portion of Rush songs (because out of a crap load I've heard, I've only liked the music to a few)

GBH2
11-29-2004, 06:10 PM
too many to list

BREAK
11-29-2004, 06:18 PM
a large portion of Fugazi songs

Ian songs or Guy songs?

nieh
11-29-2004, 06:25 PM
I think Ian...?

I like the guy that sings Fell, Destroyed, but I don't like the guy that yells. The one that Cedric tries to sound like in ATDI.

BREAK
11-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Guy sings in Fell, Destroyed. I always thought that Cedric tried to sound like him more than anything else. If you ask me, Jim from Sparta is the one trying to sound like Ian(or maybe a cross between Ian & Homestar Runner).

greencows12
11-29-2004, 06:32 PM
the darkness
coheed and cambria
aerosmith
the killers
linkin park
the strokes

nieh
11-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Yes, but you also think that that girl that sings in that Blind Melon song sounds like Neko Case.

I can see Jim trying to sound like him...but he comes off sounding even worse. He doesn't have a good voice. Ian, as much as I don't like his style, it sometimes sounds decent, Jim just sucks.

edit: ok, his voice sounds ok (but not great) in the verses to Breaking the Broken, but not in the chorus. He sounds like he's trying to sound English.

BREAK
11-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Download these Fugazi songs wherein Ian's voice sounds cleaner & more tuneful than usual:

Pink Frosty
Cashout
Long Distance Runner
Closed Captioned
Break
Long Division
The Argument
I'm So Tired

BREAK
11-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Btw, the beginning of "Cut Your Ribbon" is completely ripped off from the ATDI song "Heliotrope" off the Vaya EP.

Betty
11-29-2004, 06:47 PM
All I know is that the singer from Pearl Jam's voice still annoys me, even though they have some good songs.

nieh
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
"more tuneful than usual" doesn't mean too much when it comes to his usual. I have Long Division already. They should've let Guy sing that. He has a better soft voice than him. I also bought In on the Kill Taker not long ago, so if any of those songs are from that album, then I've heard it (but as you know, I don't make a note of memorizing the track names and lyrics like most other people)

Vaya is in my car at the moment...I'd buy it cause the song did sound familiar to me, I just assumed that I heard it someplace before.

nieh
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
All I know is that the singer from Pearl Jam's voice still annoys me, even though they have some good songs.

BLASPHEMY! Ok maybe on some songs...

Betty
11-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah, feel free... everyone can beat me now.

nieh
11-29-2004, 06:59 PM
meh. I can see why it would be annoying on some songs, but not all the time.

np: Fugazi - Bed for the Scraping

hooray for stealing elements of Break 1 by 1

BREAK
11-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Ian's voice sounds HORRIBLE on In On The Killtaker. No way would I mention any of the songs from it if I were trying to convince you that his voice was good. What do you think of Vaya? Sometimes I listen to it & I swear it's >>>>>>> Relationship Of Command(albeit half the length).

I don't blame Betty for not liking Vedder's voice, I used to hate it myself too. And when he screams, he sounds like he's taking a really painful crap.

Anyway, to answer the question of this topic, I have a really, really high tolerance for absolutely horrendous vocals. Hell, most of the bands that I listen to don't even bother coming up with actual vocal melodies half the time. I guess digging the whole "screaming at the top of one's lungs the entire time" schtick is an acquired taste. Not that I like EVERY band that does it, only the ones that do it well. The only vocal style I can honestly say that I REALLY can't stand is the death metal/black metal growl, or grunt. You know, the Deicide/Cannibal Corpse(& to a lesser extent, Poison The Well & Atreyu) thing where everything just goes like "BLUHDUPUHFUHSOOBEROODGEAH" & the guy sounds like Cookie Monster. It's not brutal, wicked, or cool-sounding. It's just fucking retarded. Also, sometimes excessively high-pitched shrieking(like the Locust or The Number Twelve Looks Like You) gets on my nerves after awhile.

nieh
11-30-2004, 05:59 AM
I love the first half of Vaya (especially Proxima Centauri) but the 2nd half bores me.

StayInTheHouseCarl
11-30-2004, 07:55 AM
i think the musicians in rufio are great, but i cant stand the singer's voice!

Eccentric Sara
11-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Rancid-although I AM able to listen to some of their songs without being completely infuriated,most of their songs annoy the hell out of me because of Tim Armstrong's slurred vocals. It's like he's not even trying to sing properly.He sounds like he is either drunk,has a speech impediment,or both.:mad: Can't stand it.

There is a pop-punk-type band with screeched male vocals that annoys me too. I think they are called Phoenix TX. The music is OK,but the vocals just jar on me and totally ruin it.

lousyskater
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
There is a pop-punk-type band with screeched male vocals that annoys me too. I think they are called Phoenix TX. The music is OK,but the vocals just jar on me and totally ruin it.
i think it's called "emo-core", or it least that's what my friend (who happens to listen to emo) calls it. i cant stand it when there is any kind of screaming or yelling like that in a song. it just completely ruins it for me.

Eccentric Sara
11-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Oh right,thanks.:) Yeah,I agree with you.The screeching totally ruins the song! NO NEED!!!!!!!!

Tired_Of_You
11-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I guess you were talking about Fenix TX?

nieh
11-30-2004, 04:40 PM
At the Drive In = emo-core
Cursive = emo-core
Fenix TX = pop punk with crappy vocals (though I've never heard any screeching...?)

Eccentric Sara
11-30-2004, 04:44 PM
I knew I'd spelt the name wrong or something! Duh!:rolleyes:

nieh
11-30-2004, 04:46 PM
yeah, it's cool for bands to misspell words and use them as their band name now.

Eccentric Sara
11-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah,that annoys me.

smileemptysoul44
11-30-2004, 05:45 PM
staind has some good songs but some arent sang that good, but arron lewis is still pretty good.

L2L1
11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Personly I think Me and My old lady is a good song, but I think the lyrics suck

selfrighteoussuicide
12-01-2004, 07:28 AM
the darkness
guns n roses
cky gets annoying after a while too

Subsidal
12-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Avril Lavigne.. can't think of more momentary.. but there was another one..

Master of Puppets
12-02-2004, 02:13 PM
not that i dont like smashing pumpkins, but they would be alot better without corgan

eww

corgan

ValKittieDex
12-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Rage against the machine....I know that they get separated....but the singer....sucks...but the songs are and were so great...

Master of Puppets
12-02-2004, 03:14 PM
hmm i really like la rocha, hes the one rapper i could stand...although sometimes it seemed like you could just HEAR the spit in his mouth

yeah i guess thats sorta nasty

Moose
12-03-2004, 12:06 AM

betty, i like ya, but you should damn well know that name...eddie vedder...repeat...eddie vedder... : }

p.s. - he has a cool voice : P

Vera
12-03-2004, 05:23 AM
Most HC bands - Sick of It All comes to mind.

Erm, Coheed & Cambria, based on the few songs I've heard.

The Killers

nieh
12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Cap'n Jazz

Chris
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
i'd have to say voodoo glow skulls.......one of those bands you can enjoy live but wouldn't consider buying the cd

Inferno
12-31-2004, 10:03 PM
I would listen to every single artist i don't like if they had a better singer.

offspringchik911
01-01-2005, 12:49 AM
coheed and rage

Jebus
01-01-2005, 06:29 PM
I would like almost any black or death metal band but I hate the way the vocals sound. Without the vocals the music could sometimes be quite beautifull.

Greebo
01-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Coheed & Cambria, I really don't like the guys pretty high pitched voice
Some of the older Atreyu songs - Alex sounds like hes trying to be sick
Older 18V songs - James' voice can be amazing, but onsome its awful
Napalm Death - Barney has nothing on Lee Dorian

I myself really like the black metal vocals, though sometime they can be pretty horrible. I can't imagine the music being as good if the vocals were changed.

Vera
01-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Wow, I just asked someone to burn me The Killers-album. And apparently I dislike the singer's voice...

Hmm, I might get used to it. *shrugs*