PDA

View Full Version : Right, I've had enough of this absent admin

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-03-2005, 09:55 AM
When looking at Forum Leaders today, I had to steady myself upon realising that there are five people with administrative access on this site. FIVE. Not one absent admin, but FIVE. And I've had enough.

I've sent a long email to Liberation Media basically telling them what absentee fucktards our admin are and telling them to finally do something.

Edit by Tizz: Dave, sorry for editing your post, but as the admin said, it's not smart if more people mail Liberation media, so I got rid of the bit where you asked people to do so.

wheelchairman
11-03-2005, 10:01 AM
It won't matter. Any pay by the hour administrator will not do it. They don't have the attachment or motivation to clean these forums up.

Besides these forums have existed for years before LiberationMedia began to administrate it, we don't really need them, in all honesty. They'll never be able to find an appropriate administrator.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
It won't matter. Any pay by the hour administrator will not do it. They don't have the attachment or motivation to clean these forums up.

Besides these forums have existed for years before LiberationMedia began to administrate it, we don't really need them, in all honesty. They'll never be able to find an appropriate administrator.

We don't really need them? Who'll ban and stuff, then? 'Cos that's the only thing they need to do and they don't even do that.

wheelchairman
11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Exactly. But I guarantee you that they won't do that anyways.

Vera
11-03-2005, 10:18 AM
They should do *something* though. They're paid to run the website - and the forums are a part of the website.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
^ Exactly. That's what I thought. They're essentially being paid to fix it when it crashes, which is never.

administrator_old
11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Liberation Media is NOT paid to 'run' the Web site in terms of content, that is not correct. We provide technical services, not management services.

Offspring management decides who to ban, not Liberation Media. Emailing us will not do any good.

Moderators were given a special address to send messages to when they got their access. That's where the messages should go.

If there are problems reaching the folks at that address, this is the first that we've heard of it. We can help to find out what is going on but bombarding us with email or calling us names will not help at all.

TheUnholyNightbringer - I responded to your email and await your reply.

RedXIII
11-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Ooooooooohh he's absent is he? :rolleyes:

Tizzalicious
11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Ooooooooohh he's absent is he? :rolleyes:

Don't be a retard. He was. We never got any replies to the e-mails we sent to the address we got, and no one ever got banned when we asked for this to happen.

Tizzalicious
11-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Liberation Media is NOT paid to 'run' the Web site in terms of content, that is not correct. We provide technical services, not management services.

Offspring management decides who to ban, not Liberation Media. Emailing us will not do any good.

Moderators were given a special address to send messages to when they got their access. That's where the messages should go.

If there are problems reaching the folks at that address, this is the first that we've heard of it. We can help to find out what is going on but bombarding us with email or calling us names will not help at all.

There is a problem, we never get any replies when we e-mail there to suggest someone should get banned, because he/she is a spammer (we had various serious spam problems). I think the last time any of us got a reply was back in July.

the_GoDdEsS
11-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I think you've pointed it out once already that you are not responsible for content.

And like Tizz pointed out, we haven't been getting replies since June/July or so. And I think there were quite a few suggestions for banning.

HornyPope
11-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Responsible for maintenance of forums but not for the content? That's an easy loophole to ditch any form of responsability.

Very well then. Assign someone who is. There's a group of volunteers who would step a notch to handle the forum from up closer.

Tizzalicious
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
So who is responsible for banning then?

HeadAroundU
11-03-2005, 02:30 PM
So who is responsible for banning then?
Offspring management decides who to ban, not Liberation Media.
again :D

Trippy
11-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Do not ever give the banning power to mods. It's not like these forums would be so spammed, it's all good now and I understand Liberation Media more than well. Just keep it this way, thank you. They're doing a great job by not doing anything.

You could tell Offspring management to update the actual www.offspring.com more often though, updates of the band.

wishomie
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Take theunholynightbringer mod privilages away. he's abusing his powers.

administrator_old
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
We (Liberation) can't appoint anyone. That's management's area.

We don't have the power to directly make changes here but like I said, I can help facilitate communication.

I don't know why management isn't responding to the messages that the mods are sending but I will try to find out. Like I said, this is the first that we've heard of it at LM. We don't monitor these forums.

Anyway, I'm corresponding with Nightbringer and I wait for his reply to some of my questions.

Trippy
11-03-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't know why management isn't responding to the messages that the mods are sending but I will try to find out. Like I said, this is the first that we've heard of it at LM. We don't monitor these forums

Probably because they have better things to do than take care of all the thousands requests sent by moderators of some friggin' message board.. Understandable.

Rebel Waltz has some bands in their team, I think cleaning up message boards isn't their number one priority. :D

Tizzalicious
11-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Probably because they have better things to do than take care of all the thousands requests sent by moderators of some friggin' message board.. Understandable.

Don't get all upset now, we never sent a message asking for your beloved HAU to be banned. We only asked for people who really spammed the board, like yay's old accounts.

Trippy
11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Don't get all upset now, we never sent a message asking for your beloved HAU to be banned. We only asked for people who really spammed the board, like yay's old accounts.

Whatever, doesn't matter even if you would have recommend me to be banned, I just understand LB very well and I think the so-called spamming here isn't even so bad that anyone would need to get banned. But I'm done of this case, bye.

administrator_old
11-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I'll post back with what I find but I can tell you this - yelling at Liberation Media won't help at all.

HornyPope
11-03-2005, 02:48 PM
We sent emails to the address we were provided with thinking LM and the management are one of the same. Now I understand. It's both a tough and silly situation to be at.

Sinister
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I sure wish the mods will get banning power somehow.

Duracell
11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I'll post back with what I find but I can tell you this - yelling at Liberation Media won't help at all.

oh shite son, sumbody just got PWN3D!!!

Kitten
11-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Offspring management decides who to ban, not Liberation Media.
again :D

I think the point was, WHO is it. Not a general hand wave in the direction of a vast group of people.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Understand that it was never my intention to bombard Liberation Media with name-calling and whatnot - simply that I (and I'm sure the other mods) were sick and tired of being ignored by the admin. As I acknowledged in my original email to LB (and I'm sure they'll back this up) I know it's not really their problem and I was sorry for bothering them but there was really nothing left to do.

And Trippy, the only reason you think the spamming isn't bad is because you don't see how much gets deleted. The mods see the threads that have been deleted, and honestly, there's a LOT.

HeadAroundU
11-04-2005, 10:43 AM
I think the point was, WHO is it. Not a general hand wave in the direction of a vast group of people.
yes I know.....

Linda
11-04-2005, 05:59 PM
My guess would be if Offspring Management has been reading these boards, they are probably so sick of the lot of you that they just don't care.

0r4ng3
11-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I would think that Offspring management would actually try to do something before giving up on us.

Linda
11-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Not if they've been reading the boards for the past 5 years.

0r4ng3
11-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I've only been here about 5 months, so I don't really have a good perspective of how bad the boards have actually gotten. I have, however, noticed the average intelligence drop by several points recently.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Oh Linda, for the love of God, DO shut up. The boards are in a bad state, we know. And we're trying to fix it. For the thousandth time, if you don't like it, you know where the big red X button is.

And it HAS made a difference. The admin FINALLY emailed me today after a prod from LM.

Sin Studly
11-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Sometimes Democracy must be bathed in bannage

Linda
11-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Oh Linda, for the love of God, DO shut up. The boards are in a bad state, we know. And we're trying to fix it. For the thousandth time, if you don't like it, you know where the big red X button is.

And it HAS made a difference. The admin FINALLY emailed me today after a prod from LM.

NO, for the love of God, I will NOT shut up. Your attitude is exactly what IS wrong with these boards. You act like your God Almighty or something, dictating to certain people how they should post and letting others post whatever the hell they want. Get down off your high horse. It's the internet for christ's sake. You're never gonna have this precious board exactly how you want it. You can't dictate to people what to do, how to act, what to say, get used to it. You take this board way too serious. Get the fuck over it once and for all.

Mota Boy
11-04-2005, 11:49 PM
OK people, tone down the rhetoric. I don't want to lock this topic, but I will if it becomes just another flame war. I know that these discussions can get heated, but try to contribute actual opinions rather than just personal attacks.

HornyPope
11-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Hahaha Mota is moderating.

Thats soooo sweet.

Mota Boy
11-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Hahaha Mota is moderating.

Thats soooo sweet.

I am the Chris Matthews to their inflammatory partisans.

memento
11-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Your attitude is exactly what IS wrong with these boards. You act like your God Almighty or something, dictating to certain people how they should post and letting others post whatever the hell they want. Get down off your high horse. It's the internet for christ's sake. You're never gonna have this precious board exactly how you want it. You can't dictate to people what to do, how to act, what to say, get used to it. .

Oh.my.god I agree with Linda. Imust be wrong.
(except the bit I deleted)

Sin Studly
11-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I will stand by any decisions made by the mods, provided those decisions are repressive and despotic. Heil Shaw.

T-6005
11-06-2005, 01:11 AM
I think the mods are doing a good job with what they have. I realize that giving them extra powers will be potentially suspect to serious subjectivity, but I don't know.

Ugh, and why does this all sound so damn political? I feel like next year is an election year or something. "If I am invested with more powers, I will...."

memento
11-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Cause it is politics. that's why I love debating it and makign juridical analogies.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-06-2005, 05:06 AM
I think the mods are doing a good job with what they have. I realize that giving them extra powers will be potentially suspect to serious subjectivity, but I don't know.

Ugh, and why does this all sound so damn political? I feel like next year is an election year or something. "If I am invested with more powers, I will...."

As I've said before, giving the mods extra power but only in the context of a consensus removes a huge amount of bias. Even Endy and I disagree with what to delete in GC sometimes - with 14 mods only the essential spam can be removed, not just people we don't like. Which of course we'd never do anyway.

Little_Miss_1565
11-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Cause it is politics. that's why I love debating it and makign juridical analogies.

There is such thing as too much debate. Let's not forget that.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-07-2005, 07:54 AM
There's no such thing as too much debate. However debate can eventually become arguing for the sake of it.

Little_Miss_1565
11-07-2005, 08:16 AM
However debate can eventually become arguing for the sake of it.

...which is when debate becomes too much debate.

memento
11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
The motives of the argument are irrelevant. It is the content of them. The content determines the utilty.

(see what I did, I am debating that any arguing for the sake of arguing isn't really a waste of time, hence furthering the argument)

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-07-2005, 08:50 AM
...which is when debate becomes too much debate.

But if it's arguing for the sake of arguing it's no longer debate.

Betty
11-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Dush, first off, explaining yourself generally counteracts most, if not all, of any cleverness that may have been demonstrated.

And I agree that a debate/argument can be beaten to death.

memento
11-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I didn't intend it to be cleaver* just funny/lame.

*by my prior reasoning motive is irrelvant for the argument.

memento
11-07-2005, 09:17 AM
But if it's arguing for the sake of arguing it's no longer debate.

I disagree. It is debate. Lets reason by analogy here for motive. Think about masturbating. If you masturbate to get a sexual thrill or masturbate to clean your pipes due to cancer concerns you are still, performing the action - masturbating.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't mean to sound like TOM or something but I honestly don't care anymore.

administrator_old
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Ok, we're trying to work out what we're going to do.

General Chat will be getting some additional moderators to help with the load.

Moderators will NOT be able to band users. Sorry. Still, we're trying to find a middle-ground on this issue to stop spam attacks as they happen.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Well I'm glad we at least have some extra help in there. Thanks.

HornyPope
11-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Ok, we're trying to work out what we're going to do.

General Chat will be getting some additional moderators to help with the load.

Moderators will NOT be able to band users. Sorry. Still, we're trying to find a middle-ground on this issue to stop spam attacks as they happen.

Just don't create any more moderators. There's already 14 of us in a forum that has maybe 60 regulars. How about you simply give each current moderator an additional forum to moderate?

It doesn't address the main complaint, however: spammers will still get away with hours of spamming and come back for more the next day while the moderators will stick to deleting their crap. But at least it makes the workload easier.

HornyPope
11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Here's another idea:

the old infopop boards used to have a control panel where the moderator can login and prune all the posts by a single user. Is there a way we can have again this feature? It would make handling the spammers muuuuuch easier, without the need to ban him. Because all it would take is few clicks to rid of his crap.

0r4ng3
11-07-2005, 04:06 PM
It would make more sense to move mods. Do Tour Talk and Your Band really need 2 mods each?

wheelchairman
11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I know that many mods, would very much appreciate a "mod only forum."

I'm going to cross post this.

administrator_old
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
The moderator discussion forum is now open for mods.

HornyPope
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I tested the forum. But nope, doesn't work. I think you have to assign each moderator for this forum individualy.

Rag Doll
11-07-2005, 05:59 PM
yeah. when i tried posting it said it needed to be reviewed or something.

Lammat
11-13-2005, 05:16 AM
We don't really need them? Who'll ban and stuff, then? 'Cos that's the only thing they need to do and they don't even do that.

thay also need to update the boards to an other version, and to edit important stuff.

But where the hell are they

JoY
11-13-2005, 08:57 AM
the moderator forum definitely comes in handy. so, many thanks. =)