PDA

View Full Version : when will teenie punks realise they are embarrassing?

the_GoDdEsS
11-05-2005, 07:04 AM
The 'Punk's not Dead' badges, the stupid clothes, the 'Fuck Off' signs, the trying to look hardcore. It's ridiculous.

Best thing, two 15 year old punk rawk girls with a 'TOM DELONGE' and 'MARK HOPUS' signs on their bags. It's one of those 'laugh vs. die-or-kill' situations when everything gets to you.

platinumpt
11-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I'm with you. Besides, people tend to look awful dressing that way, with no sex appeal at all. I've seen a few punk girls who were just disgusting. Their hair style is not very appealing too. I don't like them :(

the_GoDdEsS
11-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Actually, I'm trying to understand that it is part of the growing up process and you have to identify yourself with something. But they desperately want to be different, and little rebels. Meanwhile they do not realise that it's just one of the lamest trends. And you're not exactly different when you're following a trend. Same with the kiddy Goths.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 07:17 AM
I don't mind kiddy punks as long as they know it's just a trend and they're not being different and hardcore.

platinumpt
11-05-2005, 07:18 AM
You're absolutely right. I can perfectly see what you mean, after all, we witness cases like those every day. But, as you say, it's part of the growing process. Eventually, people get tired of being ridiculous, and return to a "normal" stage. Which means, in my opinion, that their "beliefs" on that bullshit were never strong enough.

the_GoDdEsS
11-05-2005, 07:19 AM
I don't think they realise though, Dave.

0r4ng3
11-05-2005, 07:21 AM
If they did realize that it's just a trend, they probably wouldn't dress the way they do. Y'know, because they're so punk rawk.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't think that's entirely true. You mentioned kiddie goths - I dress like a goth. Black nails, big black coat, New Rock boots, but I dress like that because I like dressing like that. It's what I'm comfortable in. Not to follow a trend or moreover not be part of one. Granted a lot of kiddie punks DO do it to be hardcore but I think it's a bit harsh to group everyone under the heading of "moron trend-follower".

the_GoDdEsS
11-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I get your point. Also, I used to wear a lot of black but I would have hated having been labelled as 'Goth' because I simply had nothing to do with it. It was just the love for the colour and mystery.

guitar_and_drummer_guy
11-05-2005, 07:32 AM
I get called ''goth'' alot beacause im always wearin about 4 to 6 sweatbands an black t shirts.... And it really pisses me off... I am not really a punk.... I dress to be an individual... if anyone dresses the same as I do I find anohter way to dress so no one ever looks the same as me

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Generally, I think the people who feel the need to dress in extremes to express their attitudes, either can't communicate their attitudes, or are insecure about the fact that they probably are incredibly conformist.

I just woke up, so if that doesn't make sense. It's because I've been asleep for 15 hours, and that's like the total amount of sleep I got last week.

The Talking Pie
11-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Same with the kiddy Goths.
Bah *rips the head off a stuffed teddy* I hate mini-goths. And mini-skaters. They all wear the same and act like complete asses, starting fights and then playing the "I'm a goth, O' woe is poor defenceless me; feel bad for me, I'm a persecuted minority" card. Well, around here, at least. And, I take no comfort in saying, I have not witnessed a single exception. Ever.

Vera
11-05-2005, 07:40 AM
The answer to your question? Eventually. With time. By the time they're 20-21, they'll either develop it into a proper ideology that they will then begin to follow, activism, politics or something like it maybe OR they will just move on and conform to the society's norms (mostly), as they have even though they dressed a bit funny.

HornyPope
11-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Simona sweetie, you called yourself the_GoDdEsS when you were 17. We all made stupid mistakes at that age.

the_GoDdEsS
11-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Back then I thought it looked more interesting that way.

HornyPope
11-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Like someone would happen to think "punks not dead" is equally interesting? Must I remind you that we loved the Offspring for crying out loud?

dalaksta
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
who da hell knows?

Offspring7
11-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Who's Tom Delonge and Mark Hopus? And by the way, I totally agree 15 is the stage where a teenager tries to associate themselves with something in their identity stage. Yes, I am 15 years old, and I see the 'punk rawkers' dressing in black with wristbands, baggy pants with chains, and they look all alike, like they are conforming to the set stereotype for them. The people who dress that way involve themselves in that music so much that they make themselves become an image of it. When i see guys dress that way, its really not attractive at all. And the girls that do just scare me.

Apathy
11-05-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't think they realise though, Dave.

That's the problem. My sister's favorite bands are Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and New Found Glory. When you ask her what kind of music she likes, she'll respond punk rock. And if you try to tell her it's not, she won't have any of it. They don't realize that it's not punk. Then they call you a poser if you keep trying to explain. I think it's pretty funny.

Offspring7, Tom Delonge is the guitarist and Mark Hoppus is the bassist of the Band Blink-182. Who is actually pretty good at some times.

Vera
11-05-2005, 08:26 AM
I think it's pretty funny.
Exactly what it is, this whole phenomenon. Better to be amused than annoyed, I'd say.

And Vlad is so right. We've all been there. We might've not dressed like it or voiced our opinions loudly but we've all been there.

Kitten
11-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I saw one of the 'punk rawk' kiddies wearing a Misfits shirt the other day. I asked him what he thought of them, and he had assumed it was just the company that makes really cool shirts.

Italia311
11-05-2005, 08:46 AM
I think at some point in your life you dress up a like a lil punk kid. I mean, I know I did when I was 15, some of friends did as well but it only lasted a few years.

I used to colour my hair, wear the chains and shit (my mom would have a heart attack - "italian people don't dress like this") but she was wrong, they do, they're everywhere! A year ago, visiting my family in Italy, all the lil grls (15-17) looked like Avril Lavigne but, they were outsiders and people wouldn't associate with them.

But anyways, I can't say I have a problem with this, because where I am living now (around my university), honestly, I don't see it. Instead I see lil white kids dressed "gangsta". But thats a horse of a different colour, and neither here nor there (LOL). Theres some "ghetto" Catholic High School right near here and its all gangsta...Anywho...

:cool:

Nina
11-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I think they are annoying as well, but just because they are exaggerating, and I don't appriciate that in general.
What I mind more, though, is when they are hardcore enough to "cut" themselves. I try to have respect for that, really, I do... but it is so unbelievably difficult to respect a person who cuts himself for attention, and not because of actual reasons of depression. Why is it so cool to be depressed? Why is it so cool to hate life? There is NOTHING cool or awesome about it. The majority of people have such a phase at least once in their life, and that is completely okay and understandable, but sharing those so called "feelings" with the whole world via depressing websites or depressing phrases on notebooks/whatever just shows that it's not sincere. It makes me angry because it makes everyone who actually HAS such problems look dumb as well, while they might be perfectly serious about it.
I hate the "trend" to injure yourself and be "depressed" more than anything.

Italia311
11-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Why would you cut yourself if your depressed? I mean like, you're already hurting, why do it more?

That is something I just don't understand, and probably never will.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:21 AM
From what I can gather (as I don't do it myself) it's a release. Plus there's the whole self-loathing thing.

Nina
11-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Some people have the urge to hurt themselves because they have the idea that physical pain can keep the emotional pain away. It's like a diverson. It can also feel like a relief...until the emotional pain comes back almost immediately.

Of course that's not the only answer. I am sure many people (especially depressed people who injure themselves) will tell you different reasons.

It's just sad that cutting/being depressed is such a huge trend among the "rock" groups (yeah, with rock I generally mean everything that is not pop or hiphop or classical music or country music). I'm all for the music, but for the most part I hate the trends that can go with it. But same to all the other groups, though.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Country music and Stetson Hats < Rock and attention-seeking cutting.

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Johnny Cash > Nightwish, In Flames, Sonata Arctica, and whatever other band you probably like.

As far as cutting goes, anyone who's not actually depressed, will probably never understand the logic behind it. Simply because it's not logical. It's emotional.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:33 AM
^ I don't like any of those bands. Then again I don't like Johnny Cash either.

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 10:35 AM
ommmmmmgzzz u dun like whateva bnd u probbaly like. llooollzllz

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I was expecting some oober-flame about not liking Johnny Cash.

Heh, wait till Justin sees it.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I used to be a kiddy punk. Now i only dress skater-style.

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I was expecting some oober-flame about not liking Johnny Cash.

Heh, wait till Justin sees it.
Oh you're definitely soulless and heartless for not liking Johnny Cash. But it's not my place to judge you (to your face at least. :p)

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Skaters are interesting. Any social group that voluntarily (!) wears Beanie Hats are worthy of some real props.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh you're definitely soulless and heartless for not liking Johnny Cash. But it's not my place to judge you (to your face at least. :p)

Sure, sure. Go bitch about me down the pub.

I don't care, I'm dead inside.

the_GoDdEsS
11-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Dave, you sinner. No JC religion for you? =(

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm not saying he's bad. I just can't enjoy him. Can't doubt the man's talent, though.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Skaters are interesting. Any social group that voluntarily (!) wears Beanie Hats are worthy of some real props.

Beanie hats are awesome. They're comfortable.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Nimrod In Town']Beanie hats are awesome. They're comfortable.

I have never seen a Beanie Hat improve a single person's appearance. Not once. Ever.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Well, they're still comfortable. I don't own one, but the ones i used in the past are comfortable.

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Yo I mostly hang with skaters
who hate how they are being labelled as ravers
until you put some ecstasy on the table and they take it
and you can even find them scraping and shaving to get more
so they can store them and save them and take them later,
and everyone of them is claiming it's a phase of our generation
that's making them take the drugs, thinking their safe in the clubs
waiting anxious and pacing even rubbing their faces,
thinking of making love to strangers, making their colorful bracelets,
it's facing a change but the administration is staying the same.

Some rap about skaters. the first part is relevant. I just like the rest.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Bahaha! Freestyling?

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 11:15 AM
No no, it's an actual rap song. I just don't know the name or title. :(

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Yet you know it word for word?

Quite the achievement, that.

memento
11-05-2005, 11:17 AM
We were all young and stupid once. I am certain that in 20 years time that Ill look back at myself and people I know and think man that's so lame.

ninthlayer
11-05-2005, 11:24 AM
In twenty years I'll be posthumous, but were I alive I'd look back and think: Damn, I was fucking attractive.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-05-2005, 11:25 AM
*Sniggers uncontrollably*

wheelchairman
11-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Yet you know it word for word?

Quite the achievement, that.
I listened to that bit a few times to get the wording right. It's in my itunes.

nameless
11-05-2005, 12:00 PM
they can dress whatever way they want! a load of them probably are following trends set down by avril lavigne and good charlotte but so be it!

irishpunkrockgirl
11-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Alot of my friends embarass me because they think they are goths.

neocon58
11-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Alot of my friends embarass me because they think they are goths.

But your screename is irishpunkrockgirl, and you have a Tom Delonge avatar.

:confused:

Italia311
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
tom delonge is a fag.

Sin Studly
11-05-2005, 05:43 PM
I was expecting some oober-flame about not liking Johnny Cash. Heh, wait till Justin sees it.

Dear David,
I am just writing to inform you that you are currently living on borrowed time. Live the remainder of your life to the fullest.
Cordially yours, Justin