PDA

View Full Version : Small time movie maker, Big time Dreams.

King Optimus Pryme
11-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Hey Guys, I'm actually new to Offspring. My buddy Travis actually got me into them about a month ago and they've heavly changed my life. I write movies and I want to use a few of there songs in the opening credits. Anybody got any ideas as to how to get in touch with them or at least email them for legal purposes? Any ideas on how it would be possible let me know. I'd really love to get premission for this. Alright I'm outta here. If you'd like to check out my companies website its Maryexmas.tk yes .tk Its weird and dont' know what TK is but i'm poor and its free. Alright later days.

BuddyHolly
11-30-2004, 03:49 AM
maybe you can try to write to Columbia Records....

Lithuanian Offspring
11-30-2004, 04:07 AM
If you have Splinter their adress is there. You can send them a letter. :D

Lars
11-30-2004, 04:49 AM
If you are a film maker you should know the legal attibutes to using soundtrack music in your sequences as well as all other legal responsibilities with film making. Therefore you should know which bodies you need to contact to be able to use a musical piece in your work.

samr
11-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Thats funny, because my buddie Travis also got me into the Offspring.

anyway, try going to Columbia/Nitro/Epitaph/ records official websites.

King Optimus Pryme
11-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Damn Lars sorry, i haven't even finished either of the movies i wanna use there songs for. So lets calm it down a little bit.

Little_Miss_1565
11-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Damn Lars sorry, i haven't even finished either of the movies i wanna use there songs for. So lets calm it down a little bit.

It's true, though. For independent artists and labels, you contact the band/label to get permission and that's it. But for a major label artist such as the Offspring, there are additional legalities involved with organizations such as their publisher and the record label, which is something they go over in film production classes.

Truth be told, a major label might not pay much attention to an independent filmmaker's request to use a song in a movie. If you're really serious about it, I'd say if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who could pass along a videotape it might up your chances. But cold-calling or e-mailing might not get you very far, because they probably get a lot of requests like this from unknown directors.

King Optimus Pryme
11-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, its real low know nothing kinda movie. I just want to make sure i'm not gonna get sued. But if there music says anything about their personalities I don't think I should be to worried. But most certainly thanks again. You check out my website for my company if you get a shot. its at Maryexmas.tk

Thanks