PDA

View Full Version : Big success songs-do you guys like them much?

OffspringInOz
11-30-2004, 01:32 AM
The Offspring have never really been praised for their songs that would be OUR favorites, the hard fast punk-rock songs. Yet songs like Pretty Fly (for a white guy), and Hit That, are the Offspring's most famous songs.

What is your opinion of these songs, and would they rank in your favorites?

I mean, Pretty Fly and Hit That are pretty catchy, but IMO, are nowhere near the Offspring's best. :confused:

ThatOneGuy123
11-30-2004, 01:35 AM
man every song that is punk and fast rocks especially offspring songs rock on

SHAKE THAT ASS!!

OffspringInOz
11-30-2004, 01:38 AM
altho, i must say that pretty fly is a friggin good song..even thoits not usual offspring, i reckon it rocks!

Lithuanian Offspring
11-30-2004, 01:43 AM
The good thing about the major success songs is that they attract more people to the really offspring music. Its really because of pretty fly that I started listening to the Offspring. So It would be good if they had another success. But it would be preferable if they had one like TKAA.

RonWelty
11-30-2004, 01:45 AM
i think that the most successfull song is come out and play ...but ok ... pretty fly hsa the popularity , but if u listen to the fans , people in general (in usa) they should say COME OUT AND PLAY :X

Venom Symbiote
11-30-2004, 02:51 AM
Having become a fan before "Pretty Fly" ("All I Want" is the song that got me into them, and no, not off freakin' Crazy Taxi like most people [this was in '97]), they're not really reflective of the "Offspring sound" to me.

But that being said, PFfaWG *was* a very catchy, well-written song. Fairly intelligent, too, at least moreso than it would get credit for among the teeny-bopper types. I enjoy it, even though it's a bit of a departure. It also re-instilled them in the mass-public mindset, which is a good thing.

It's just that, it *SHOULD* have been a one-off. It wasn't a smart idea at all to follow it up on the Americana singles list with "Why Don't You Get A Job?". "Original Prankster" on Co1 should never have happened. As much as I love the guys, and couldn't really give a sh*t whether people consider them "punk" or not (95% of "punk" music sucks balls, for the record), their "pop-rock" image is no one's fault but their own.

"Hit That" was a decent song. Unlike the first Co1 single, it was actually a well-written piece, with a little innovation thrown in for good measure. It was NOT a re-recording of PFfaWG, like "Original Prankster". I like "Hit That", my only problem is that Dexter and the guys just seem like they're constantly trying to RECREATE the success they had with the Americana single. They really shouldn't, it's pretty sad.

Now, don't get me wrong...

The Offspring should NOT STOP writing these pop-ier tunes, they have a place in their musical legacy. But I'd really like them to not be released as first-singles anymore, it's getting tired. I mean, hell, if they're after sales, am I the only one who can see they'd sell a BUTTLOAD more by releasing "Can't Get My Head Around You" first, then "The Noose" or "Lightning Rod" (complete with edgy "Meaning of Life"-styled videos), *then* maybe think about following it up with one of the pop-punk tunes?

People (the mainstream I mean, not us fans) are really pigeon-holing the band these days. Basically everyone I talk to just thinks "oh, the ageing guys that re-released 12 variations on Pretty Fly, trying to make a buck?"

It's stupid, and I think the guys could do better with the next album.

P.S. Yeah, I know the band don't choose the singles past the first. But at least they could release an edgy thing first, then if the record label (no longer Columbia post-Splinter, I'm guessing) must butcher the album in the public's eyes, I guess let them go for it. But there's no need for The Offspring to be contributing to it.

Lithuanian Offspring
11-30-2004, 02:52 AM
I don't think most of the fans think Pretty Fly was the best song. I mean considering the rest of the songs and albums it is mathmaticallly impossible for a fan to like Pretty Fly the most. I just don't see it happening.

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
11-30-2004, 10:23 AM
The good thing about the major success songs is that they attract more people to the really offspring music. Its really because of pretty fly that I started listening to the Offspring. So It would be good if they had another success. But it would be preferable if they had one like TKAA.

good point. songs like pretty fly attract kids to getting into offspring or punk. pretty fly doesn't sound very punk...but it's a good song

smelly poo in a shoe
11-30-2004, 10:39 AM
but most of the true fans prefer the older albums: ignition, smash and ixnay... but if the band like what they are doing why change??

offspringbaby2004
11-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I like those songs a lot :) They are fun and catchy, but I hate how that is how most people know them. It doesn't really show what the Offspring can really do, and what they are really like. But the songs are still cool :)

~Mandy~

original_prankster
11-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Come Out And Play was reeeally awesome and I like playing it loudly in my bedroom...

Self Esteem rocked! It's one of their best songs EVER...

Pretty Fly For A White Guy was good, but definately not their best. It's music video was quite entertaining, however.

Why Don't You Get A Job? is one of their best singles, and it's also one of my top 10 Offspring songs even though it's reeeally poppy.

Want You Bad was really good, but had a stupid music video.

Original Prankster...the first Offspring song I heard, and I was 10 at the time...now I'm 14...It still is my favorite Offspring song and single...

Hit That was very good, and had a really cool music video. The computer animation was wierd though.

Can't Get My Head Around You was a great song with a crappy music video, like I Want You Bad.

And those are my opinions.

delboy
11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
I used to like pretty fly but i don't like it as much now :(

zich
11-30-2004, 01:31 PM
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=448204&T=215
--click 'Play Song'--

it IS kinda strange how those two songs were so popular... perhaps because they were so toned down... I used to love pretty fly and listening to again recently, i still do! and hit that... its good but It's not punk... it's more... pop-I FUCKIN HATE TO SAY IT, but... :(

lousyskater
11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
i cant stand any of the singles, except for the ones before Americana and the song Kid's Aren't All Right.

Floyd the Barber
11-30-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't consider them there best, but I like songs like Hit That and Pretty Fly for their catchiness and goofiness. They're easy to get into and pretty much everyone can enjoy them. I wish they'd release some of their faster stuff as singles more often, though. I thinl The Noose would've been awesome to hear on the radio.

r0cka22
12-01-2004, 05:22 AM
i liked the offspring since Self Esteem (well my mum did and it kinda stuck), but i didnt like them a heap until PF4AWG (i was only 10), and then Original Prankster (i was 12- young and nieve). It wasnt until i got my guitar when i was 14 until i appreciated the hard fast rock songs and disliked the "commercial" stuff they released. They make the songs which people will listen to (PF4AWG etc), and will be played on the radio, and the rest of the songs are for the diehard fans who like the offspring for their real style.
My fave album is The Offspring simply because all the songs are great.

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
12-01-2004, 09:22 AM
i cant stand any of the singles, except for the ones before Americana and the song Kid's Aren't All Right.

same here.

Anya82
12-01-2004, 09:32 AM
the only song I just CAN'T stand... is Pretty Fly... godammit!!!
I liked it when i heard it the first times on the radio, but then.. they just played it over, and over, and over, and over... until it made me SICK!!!!

Everytime I'm listening to my Americana album, I just skip Pretty Fly...

the rest of the songs, from all the albums, are just great, i love them.

Forza
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
practically Pretty Fly got me into the punkrock/punk and metal scene, by then i liked it.. now i think it's one of their worst songs. somehow they always release the bad songs... i mean cmon... Staring At The Sun or Americana is just so much better than PF4AWG or WDYGAJ