PDA

View Full Version : Why Does The Government Insist On Stealing My Youth?

wheelchairman
11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
It's inevitable.

It seems that society is hell-bent on stealing my youth. Everything tells me that I should go through my education as fast as possible, so I can become a part of that ever-wonderful career workforce. What a dream!

There is constant discussion on whether or not Student subsidies should be turned into loans, or whether or not extra fees should be added on if the path to finishing uni should be a little longer than expected.

There is nothing but the constant pressure to become a person who hates himself.

It's becoming increasingly depressing. What would be so wrong if I were to choose to take a year off from studying altogether? I mean I love studying, but I've been doing it for 15 years now. I'm getting kind of sick of it. A year off to perhaps work a bit, might be nice. Do something other than hate what I used to love.

And what pisses me off the most is that it's all pressure to become like my father. A man who hated his job, but did it so that he could provide for his family. Like his father did the same, and probably my father's father's father did the same. I don't want to end up like that. I'm not religious enough to believe that present altruism will be rewarded in an afterlife. Oh I wish I was though!

How I envy those who know that heaven will provide them with all the comforts they sacrificed today. I'm just not pious enough, I believe that life is too short to work a job I'll hate every day. The only woman for me is one who can accept a life of poverty in order that I, and hopefully she can at least do the things we enjoy.

Society, the government. All this pressure to start my career. I know where it comes from. Misery loves company they say, it comes from those assholes who for 20 years have been going to jobs they hate, every day. They hate themselves so much that they need the commiseration of other self-loathers, in order to feel slightly better.

In short, I don't want to group up. I don't want to have a career. I plan on studying forever. Just as long as I can live without hating myself.

HornyPope
11-06-2005, 06:05 PM
You don't have to take on a job you don't like. That's for stupid people-- people who don't have the skills to fight for their goals. You obviously do. You're intelligent enough to earn any position you could possibly want, or almost, so there's no excuse on taking up on a job you "hate".

Is there ANY job you will prefer doing? If yes, go and get it. If not, create a job you will enjoy.

Betty
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
For one, you need money to do some of the things you might enjoy. Like travel.

Also, yes, I am very excited for my future career. I'm sure some things I will still dislike, but overall I'm pumped to have a rewarding career, and hopefully enough money for some personal rewards here and there. And I'm sure you'll be able to find something you enjoy doing and that pays you a little cash, like Vlad said.

I do agree about the speed issue though. My friend fast-tracked both through highschool and university and to me that seemed silly. The social aspect of being in college is fantastic and I don't mind the idea of living it out for a little longer. That's what fun about knowing I'm gonna be a grad student for another 5+ years.

Nicole
11-06-2005, 07:23 PM
It shouldn't be half as bad if you're going into an area you like.

University debt is something I disagree with. I owe around AU$2500 for a semester that I only did half of. At least it will only come to that if I get back into the course at the start of next year and begin to earn enough money for the government to want it back.

Depressing but I'd rather be well educated and have a decent job than have no higher education debt and a job that leaves me with few prospects.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-06-2005, 07:35 PM
because your youth is not important.
Yes it is mate, it's one of the most important stages of life.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Not if you spend it masturbating and making sandwiches. I wonder how long untill you start doing some perverted combination of the two.

I'm in serious trouble of becoming something I don't enjoy. I've considered following in my father's footsteps as a doctor. But so far medicine involves too much studying. I can't think of a career that suits me and pays well, and I'd rather feel only adequately satisfied(I don't look forward to it, but I don't dislike it.) with my well paying career than in love with the job that keeps me poor. It's noble that you'd take less pay to feel more satisfied with your career choice, but would you still feel that way after having kids?
Wonder what he uses for mayonnaise.

the_GoDdEsS
11-06-2005, 08:34 PM
In short, I don't want to group up. I don't want to have a career. I plan on studying forever. Just as long as I can live without hating myself.

I hate what I'm doing right now. Life changes completely after school. And it's absolute shit.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I hate what I'm doing right now. Life changes completely after school. And it's absolute shit.
Gee thanks just make me feel bad why don't ya. *crys with his trusty razor*

the_GoDdEsS
11-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Just wait and see. You'll be equally annoyed.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Just wait and see. You'll be equally annoyed.
I already know which job I'm aiming for and I'm looking forward to it.

Endymion
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
I already know which job I'm aiming for and I'm looking forward to it.
what would that be?

the_offsprings_monkey
11-06-2005, 09:16 PM
what would that be?
Police .

wheelchairman
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Aww Sim, you're only in a transitional part of your career, and you know it. You're far too intelligent to trap yourself there.

Mota Boy
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Meh, my dad loves his job. I'm almost certain the secret involves freedom, creativity and sense of accomplishment.

I don't know what I'm going to do. All my life I've been opposed to the idea of wearing a suit, but I'm afraid I won't be able to fight it off forever, my only consolation being that I look damn good in one.

The slow crush of responsibility in the form of family and career is starting to close in on me. I'm actually starting to have to make choices that will affect the rest of my life... or maybe not. According to Time, we're part of a generation of kids called "twixters" (Headline: They Just Won't Grow Up). The article begins:

Michele, Ellen, Nathan, Corinne, Marcus and Jennie are friends. All of them live in Chicago. They go out three nights a week, sometimes more. Each of them has had several jobs since college; Ellen is on her 17th, counting internships, since 1996. They don't own homes. They change apartments frequently. None of them are married, none have children. All of them are from 24 to 28 years old. (the rest of the article can be found here (http://aaroncommand.com/blogs/apatters/archive/2005/01/31/3425.aspx).

Endymion
11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Meh, my dad loves his job. I'm almost certain the secret involves freedom, creativity and sense of accomplishment.
same with mine... it's hard to describe what he does really though. he's a professor, but he starts/manages all sorts of research projects that intrest him a lot. maglev trains, wireless mesh networks, all sorts of things. right now we're just about to get a few dozen million more in funding to finish research into building the world's third fully operational maglev train, and the first using a bunch of new technology in magnet research. i say 'we' because i'm employed as a researcher for the project, he's the head researcher for the whole thing though.

memento
11-06-2005, 11:18 PM
The colr hard reality of the world is - money. I just don't agree with people going to uni, doing shit courses they won't get jobs with at the states expense. It's different if they pay for it (which they now will).

BUt you don't need to have a job you don't like, if you don't aim for money.

wheelchairman
11-07-2005, 12:00 AM
What's wrong with learning? That should be the goal of any state, to enrichen the minds of the people.

Mota Boy
11-07-2005, 12:30 AM
At the expense of productivity?

Izie
11-07-2005, 01:21 AM
In short, why not study forever? Just become a prof/researcher, they'll pay you to sit around and read all kinds of shit and then teach it to the misguided youth. Where, of course, you can just sit around having a blast if you're working with a small group of students like most of our docents on PS do.

I swearz, they have it made. We have a chick guiding our seminarie... She's 24. All she does is come over, hand out assignments, take the piss out of people if their assignment sucked and then gives us a 30min lecture on some theory that's actually completely irrelevant to the matter (I have the feeling she just picks out random facts/theories and tells them). I think she's co-writing a book with another prof though (yeah, that must be VERY difficult. I know, I'm nasty, but hey, the articles they write are just... You know, rather simple?). However, it's a blast. I <3 all of the people who gave us "direction specific courses" so far, man, I'll so wanna be one of those people (this is providing I don't sell out somehow, which I don't think I'd mind, since there are a few things I can imagine myself doing). But yeah, academic career of constantly just reading up on stuff... Here I come.

Oh, and you should do it too and we'll organize one of those societies we talked about.

See, we're both angry at politics/the government. So boo.

(PS My head hurts and I'm semi sick so it's quite possible this doesn't make a lot of sense)

Tizzalicious
11-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I agree with Vlad, you don't HAVE to do something you don't like. You also don't have to earn shitloads of money doing a job you don't like. If that's what other people decide to do because they prefer to have loads of money over doing something they actually like, it's their loss. It's not what you have to do. I'm sure there is something you could do that you would like.

memento
11-07-2005, 02:03 AM
What's wrong with learning? That should be the goal of any state, to enrichen the minds of the people.

Media and film studies is learning? These people are stupid and have no intent in learning anything. They are driving up the costs for others because the government also has to fund them.

wheelchairman
11-07-2005, 03:07 AM
Vlad, Tizz and people, don't worry, I'm pretty certain that I just want to study forever. I have no intention of doing a job I hate. I only used that as another way of explaining that society wants us to do jobs we hate.

I'm pretty much planning on studying full-time, like Iz said.

I just don't appreciate the government trying to rush people through university. And increasing student debt, etc.

Dush, I wouldn't know. I think if they want to learn it, they should.

memento
11-07-2005, 03:59 AM
They just get wasted 3 times a week a, that's the only reason they come to uni. I only know like 3 academic people from university. Ones you can actually talk to things about.

Betty
11-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Dush, I think it's fine if people want to learn something that others might consider pointless for an extended period of time, as long as they don't expect any sort of free ride in life when they begin not being able to afford things as they aren't earning money. I think in most cases, it ends up kicking them in the ass. But a happy medium is to do something "productive" (towards a real career that will have some sort of financial compensation) and learn other "less productive" things on the side.

I am so torn on whether I want work in academia when I grow up. For one, the salary is really not that high for the level of education you have reached. Also, there is a constant battle for funding and all the fun politics involved with that. Whereas industry is somewhat appealing since you can earn a lot of money in the right job, and I also have the ambitions to be the head of something pretty major at some point in time. That kind of thing involves mountains of responsibility, but is totally rewarding and challenging, and just where I think I should end up in my life. But then, industry could definitely lack the creativity aspect, and I'd almost for certain start out as somebody's bitch.

My supervisor right now is a new professor and she does absolutely fantastic research. She is developing things that are creative, insightful, important. And that idea of really being able to contribute to the pool of scientific knowledge in an important way and be able to take a lot of pride in being totally responsible for that accomplishment is starting to seem appealing to me as well.

memento
11-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I entirely agree. I love the stuff I read about but it serves no purpose whatsoever in the economic world. I could write books sure but I'm not really smart enough. So I just plan to write papers and read stuff and publish them on the net. I will thus be adding to the academic pool (anyone can publish on the social science research network (www.ssrn.com) but I'm obviously also gonna have a job. I don't know what as though but I am sure I'll be able to make some firm profit.

What annoys me is that before the tution fees reform we had in the UK. People were just doing shit courses for no reason. Now they will be less inclined to do so unless they know they'll earn from it due to debt.

I'd like to be an academic but I've seen how hard those guys work. They can't just concentrate on research becuase they have students to teach, papers to mark, funding to solicit.

And Michelle, you can do both. You can enter your high flying career after your research career. You'd be alot more highly qualified too. Surely?

memento
11-07-2005, 09:10 AM

But Sim you hate what you are doing. It's an occupation. IT IS NOT YOUR LIFE.

The amount of people that think your job defines you, it is you, it consumes you. Sure you spend alot of time at your workplace. If you think you spend too much and you hate it, cut back hours. If you cant just go down a pay grade or two so you can do normal 9-5 hours.

People have so much more going for them than your job. After university, education nothing much really changes except instead of studying all day like I do you have a job to go to. But what is your life is what you do outside that job. family, friends etc. I don't know how you found uni but I'm working around 8 hours a day, really intensely. That's exact same thing as a job IMHO.

It's like my house mate goes to me "my dad has to work 60 hours a week and never gets to see my mum". He doesn't fuckin have to. You don't need to be on 70k a year. Fuck your big car and big house. Down grade and enjoy what matters.

Family+friends > material wealth. And ironically those who have the left hand side rarely appreciate it.

Izie
11-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Sometimes I love Dush.

Yet, my ego/ambition will never actually let me be an underachiever, so eh. I'm still not scared of doing something I won't like though.

memento
11-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Underachiver? By what definition? Profit. I hate to sound like a fuckin commie but most people in this world define achivement as dollar. Achivement is the mark you leave on others lives, that be your family or the world at large thru great reform and revoultion. It's not some crappy position in a crappy firm.

I define achievement as positive impact on people's lives. I've told you this before in relation to kids.

Izie
11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, but I want an influence on more lives, you see. It's not completely money-related with me (although it is a bit, I'm materialistic that way).

Mota Boy
11-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I posted it roughly a year ago. It's still interesting and relevant.

HornyPope
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey I don't mind, it just looked like you forgot you posted it and I merely reminded you.