PDA

View Full Version : Best procrastination

Betty
11-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Sure there are the tried and true methods: having a snack, doing some laundry, chatting on MSN, cleaning your room, watching some TV, etc, etc.

However, it's quite rewarding to feel as if you've done something totally valuable while procrastinating.

We just spent the last hour sitting on the kitchen floor trying to open a coconut to get to the sweet, sweet coconut milk. Many methods proved to be of no avail, such as using the mini hacksaw. But after repeated attempts, we developped a successful method with a nail, a screw, a screwdriver, and a hammer.

Now I'm ready for Survivor.

Little_Miss_1565
11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
My favorite procrastination-but-still-doing-something-valuable/productive activity is knitting. I've already knit one scarf and 3/4 of one long-cuffed fingerless mitt (of a pair-to-be). I'm also crocheting a beer bottle cozy in my college's colors.

Next projects: Mittens, hat, another scarf, baby booties, anything else I can get a pattern for.

Sinister
11-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't do anything good when I procrastinate... except maybe when I tell my parents I'm doing my homework, while I'm actually playing my guitar with headphones on.

edit : Betty, use a hand axe.

Endymion
11-06-2005, 07:47 PM
i write code when i'm bored. or read. or sleep. or stare at the wall. i also have that nasty habit of eating.

0r4ng3
11-06-2005, 07:49 PM
When I procrastinate, I organize my computer.

I didn't do my homework, but if I did, I would know exactly where it is.

coke_a_holic
11-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Productivity? Ha!

I scoff at your need to do something when avoiding to do something!

WebDudette
11-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Most of my procrastination/bored time I spend here.

Sinister
11-06-2005, 07:53 PM
aaaah, computer organization. Mine used to suck hard, back when I created a new folder and put a very small number of files in it (C:/Documents and Settings/Simon/Music/Punk/The Offspring/The Offspring/ instead of C:/MP3/)

Little_Miss_1565
11-06-2005, 11:11 PM
*Perv thoughts*

I'm also crocheting a penis, complete with hair and veins.

:eek:

Vera
11-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I've taken up either studying something that has nothing to do with school or watching a film.

JohnnyNemesis
11-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I am part of a facebook group called "I Am So Desperate To Procrastinate That I Will Do Other, More Challenging Work Instead", and I think their description provides a better response to this thread than I can. See, they captured what I do PERFECTLY:

Have you ever read an entire novel in Russian, not knowing Russian, in order to avoid writing one paragraph on your opinion of butterflies? Have you ever read the entire New York Times Archive from 1981, to avoid writing a paper that is due in one half of one hour? Do you wind up only doing written work, and never reading? Do you pull all-nighters, do nothing, and wake up an hour before class with nothing written, and an impression of a keyboard/carpet/stack of paper on your forehead/cheek? Have you ever skipped fourth period to write a 15 page term paper worth half your grade for fifth period? Do you sleep for large chunks of time during the day to make up for a complete lack of sleep at night? Is this common for you? As in every night. Exactly.

Precisely. Read it all.

wheelchairman
11-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Fucking tetris!

http://hem.passagen.se/mnomn/tetrissida.html

Mota Boy
11-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Oh man, procrastination...

One of my favorite methods of procrastination is cruising around aimlessly in my car. I'll tell myself that I have to go out somewhere to do homework (I've discovered that it's damn near impossible to do work in my dorm... or on campus at all, for that matter), then I'll drive past the place and aimlessly motor around town.

However, I already have done all my work for tomorrow and Tuesday. I'm incredibly proud of myself. It almost makes up for the fact that I've yet to get past the introduction of a nearly-500-page book I should probably know for my test on Thursday.

memento
11-07-2005, 12:14 AM
The best method is talk about when you're gonna start work and plan out your whole day.

And coconuts are cracked easily on a stone slab, just bash it. But hammer works too.

Endymion
11-07-2005, 12:15 AM
i LOVE driving around aimlessly really late at night. like 2-3am. the city's a whole different beast.

Mota Boy
11-07-2005, 01:38 AM
Oh yeah. A couple nights ago my friend and I were sitting around, watching TV, when suddenly he said "You know what? I'm feeling restless." I actually happened to feel the need to roam too, so we set off at 2 a.m. and cruised around for an hour. It was good times. Love the city late at night. Cut down the time on one of my usual cruisin' routes by 33%.

Izie
11-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Oh I do a lot of shit. Most of all, I tidy things up, clean, cook, organize something that really doesn't need any organization, shop, plan my time, read up on other random stuff, go running, go for a walk, write pointless letters to my friends who never write back because they're SO gay, do research on shit, blah blah. I'm capable of doing pretty much ANYTHING else to postpone something I don't wanna do.

However, being the responsible little weirdo I am, I usually just do what I need to do. *sigh*

Tizzalicious
11-07-2005, 02:32 AM
I do anything. Or nothing even. Refreshing. Refreshing the BBS, refreshing my livejournal friendslist. I came to a point where I just automatically hit refresh all the time, so when we were playing monopoly I kept fucking up the games. Oops.

memento
11-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Anyway, I've found that weightlifting is it for me.

That's the gayest thing ever. What a gay for lifting weights.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-07-2005, 03:19 AM
That's the gayest thing ever. What a gay for lifting weights.
I used to lift weights. And no I ain't gay.

memento
11-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Shutup, faggot.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Shutup, faggot.
Why, I have a right to speak, and weight lifting aint gay.

memento
11-07-2005, 05:00 AM
I only know homosexuals who do weights.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-07-2005, 05:05 AM
I only know homosexuals who do weights.
Then you must not know many people, and I'm sure they lift those pink plastic ones.

JoY
11-07-2005, 05:09 AM
Sure there are the tried and true methods: having a snack, doing some laundry, chatting on MSN, cleaning your room, watching some TV, etc, etc.

However, it's quite rewarding to feel as if you've done something totally valuable while procrastinating.

We just spent the last hour sitting on the kitchen floor trying to open a coconut to get to the sweet, sweet coconut milk. Many methods proved to be of no avail, such as using the mini hacksaw. But after repeated attempts, we developped a successful method with a nail, a screw, a screwdriver, and a hammer.

Now I'm ready for Survivor.
I thoroughly love you.

to procrastinate I write in my diary, which always feels like spending my time valuably, since it's always terribly unupdated. so many days start with; "it's thursday! today I should be studying, because tomorrow I've got an exam..." and so forth.

it's the most difficult & terrible, when you actually have *nothing*, & I mean nothing, to do, except studying. laudry, done - diary updating, done - watching tv, done - browsing the bbs, done - play some Monopoly/Yahtzee, done - cherity niceness towards your incredibly retarded roommate, done - cleaning the kitchen (one of my favorites), done - cleaning my room (one of my least favorites, only for desperate cases), done - smoking a pack of cigarettes while dreaming away, DONE.

in those cases I most of the times end up staring through the window, waiting for my boyfriend to be my salvation from utter boredom, wondering if I've reached a level of desperation, that I should actually jump out of the window.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-07-2005, 07:39 AM
I never usually proscrastinate. I enjoy doing college work, because I'm sad and have no friends.

But when I do I, uh, post here or read History books.

Man, I need some hobbies.

Betty
11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I think my point was that cracking open a coconut is in absolutely no way productive whatsoever, but we convinced ourselves that at that point in time it was the most important thing we could possibly be doing. A power drill or hand axe or chain saw probably would have been very useful, however we did not have these items on hand. (And I just made a post telling Dush that he shouldn't explain himself).

Rick, that description was fantastic, I think I'm gonna copy it down somewhere. It's so bizarre that even things that you enjoy doing like reading a book for class about something you enjoy, you end up putting off simply because you HAVE to do it. And if you HAVE to clean the house, it's the last thing you wanna do, but you'll jump at the opportunity to do so instead of writing that essay due the next day.

I can convince myself that most anything I do is productive in one way or another. I guess one of my favourite things to do is to just spend time talking to people, generally my housemates or people on MSN. I feel like any time spent communicating is important and valuable.

memento
11-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I just procrastinated and I didn't even realise I was doing it. I don't do it anymore whatsoever. WheN i have work to do I get on with it. I';m a good little boy now. But I keep posting when I have a supervision to prepare for. I haven't done it in AGES. Man.

Izie
11-07-2005, 09:56 AM
cherity niceness towards your incredibly retarded roommate

And I thoroughly love YOU.

Little_Miss_1565
11-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Man, I need some hobbies.

On first glance, I thought this said "Man, I need some boobies."

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-07-2005, 11:47 AM
That'd be nice too. You know, incase I really AM bored.

HornyPope
11-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I've procrastinated my way through HS and college. I never got to understand just how widespread it is. I thought it was really only me. On the positie side, I was left with hundreds of hours worth of various read literature, which, incidently, to answer your question, is my favourite procrastination.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I play Yahoo Chess a lot. Every once in a while I'll go running or play soccer. Or check the BBS.