PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling...yay!

Human
11-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Okay...I have decided to start homeschooling...my whole family agrees that it would be better for me and I would enjoy it alot more than regular school...I'm excited for everything about it except for the social groups...the agency puts together social grroups but only of your gender...it kind of sucks because I won't see another boy for months outside of my Hebrew school and they're all retards...maybe I'll get signed up for some sports seeing as there won't be any PE during homeschooling...I should also sign up for filming class...yup...that would be fun...and the sports would be horseback riding and swimming...I'd also want to start up computer animation...wait...do they have that for sixth graders? Well anyways...I'm really excited...do you think it's a good choice? I'll only be doing it for my middle school years...

Rag Doll
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
I had to do it for a few months during high school cause i was really sick. I fucking hated it. Absolutely hated it. You might like it though, since you seem to have a tough time with your current school situation.

Human
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
But why did you hate it? I mean you don't find it more appealing to just be lazy and not have to worry about nasty kids and teachers that ahte you?

Endymion
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
the entire point of school is the social interactions. the stuff they 'teach' you is in general worthless or could have just as easily been learned at home. the reason they throw you in with all those other kids is so you'll learn the stuff you can't pick up in a book.

Rag Doll
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
It's incredibly lonely. It's just you and a teacher...so if you don't know something, it's not like they can call on someone else. You're pretty much forced to pay attention. It was harder to be lazy, because the teacher doesn't need to check homework for 20 other kids. It was just...ugh.

And I never really had that problem with teachers/other students.

.:SMASH:.
11-07-2005, 01:06 PM
But why did you hate it? I mean you don't find it more appealing to just be lazy and not have to worry about nasty kids and teachers that ahte you?
i dont know about you, but i met most of my friends from school. if i never went to school, i would have a tough time finding them in my neighbourhood

memento
11-07-2005, 01:07 PM
the entire point of school is the social interactions. the stuff they 'teach' you is in general worthless or could have just as easily been learned at home. the reason they throw you in with all those other kids is so you'll learn the stuff you can't pick up in a book.

The man speaks the truth.

Human
11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
It's incredibly lonely. It's just you and a teacher...so if you don't know something, it's not like they can call on someone else. You're pretty much forced to pay attention. It was harder to be lazy, because the teacher doesn't need to check homework for 20 other kids. It was just...ugh.

No...but I only see the teacher once a week...she gives me the homework that I have to do...teaches it to me(obviously)...stays for about meh...4 hours...then leaves...there is also a facility where I will be able to do my work around other people and maybe actually interact with them(I'm not sure but I sure as hell hope so)...and it should be great besides the only seeing my gender part of it...

bd007h
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
There goes what's left of Human's social life.

Human
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
i dont know about you, but i met most of my friends from school. if i never went to school, i would have a tough time finding them in my neighbourhood
Well....they have social groups...and you can join sports and extrcurricular activities...

SkunkIt
11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
I had homeschool in the 7th and 8th grade, it was boring and it sucked. It was also on a computer screen, so I just stared at the same thing for a few hours, because I wasn't interested in it. That's like one of the few things I remember from home school.

Human
11-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I had homeschool in the 7th and 8th grade, it was boring and it sucked. It was also on a computer screen, so I just stared at the same thing for a few hours, because I wasn't interested in how urine gets passed through your body. That's like one of the few things I remember from home school.
Oh...it isn't like that...helllll no...

SkunkIt
11-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it sucks ass, but if you're gonna do it, make sure you find some after school clubs or something.

JohnnyNemesis
11-07-2005, 01:12 PM

That's exactly what I was going to say. This is 100% truth.

Those social groups created still don't provide a good substitution for the school environment.

Human
11-07-2005, 01:13 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say. This is 100% truth.

Those social groups created still don't provide a good substitution for the school environment.
I know...but I'll go to a normal high school...

Kitten
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh...it isn't like that...helllll no...

If you have an issue with the teachers or the students at your school, why didn't you just ransfer somewhere else? The idea behind school, as Endymion pointed out, is to forge social connections. If you home school, and have interaction only with other home schooled kids, they are going to have had the same issues as you at school, thus creating a very anti-social group of people.
The thing is, once you get out into the workforce, there are going to be people you don't like, and you can't just work from home. You have to face them each and every day with some semblence of maturity.

SkunkIt
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
I know...but I'll go to a normal high school...
That still doesn't help, because middle school is different. I did the same thing.
Also, homeschool can't teach you music, art, cooking or shop.

Human
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
If you have an issue with the teachers or the students at your school, why didn't you just ransfer somewhere else? The idea behind school, as Endymion pointed out, is to forge social connections. If you home school, and have interaction only with other home schooled kids, they are going to have had the same issues as you at school, thus creating a very anti-social group of people.
The thing is, once you get out into the workforce, there are going to be people you don't like, and you can't just work from home. You have to face them each and every day with some semblence of maturity.
Duh...there are going to be teachers I don't like but when you go to a crappy place with crappy people and live in a small miniscule town...it's a bit hard to transfer...I already have many friends and things like my situation aren't the only reasons kids do homeschooling...maybe they have trouble learning with other kids...do acting...etc.etc.

Human
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
That still doesn't help, because middle school is different. I did the same thing.
Also, homeschool can't teach you music, art, cooking or shop.
But you can take outside activities...and yes...I know middle school is different...

Rancid_Guyxxx
11-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Isn't homeschooling really expensive?

Human
11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Isn't homeschooling really expensive?
Erm...as far as I was concerned...no...but I don't know much about the costs or anything...you're probably thinking of boarding schools...

That_Guy91
11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Erm...as far as I was concerned...no...but I don't know much about the costs or anything...you're probably thinking of boarding schools...
no, homeschooling is expensive. my cousin is homeschooled. she dosent talk to people too much anymore, though.

Human
11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
no, homeschooling is expensive. my cousin is homeschooled. she dosent talk to people too much anymore, though.
What does homeschooling have to do with talking to people?

T-6005
11-07-2005, 02:22 PM
What does homeschooling have to do with talking to people?
People have been talking about the limited interaction homeschooling causes since the beginning of this thread... did you miss that?

Human
11-07-2005, 02:43 PM
I didn't miss it but I barely talk to anyone at school anyways unless it is telling them to bug off and let me do whatever I'm doing in peace...this way...I think I may actually meet more people...believe it or not...

XYlophonetreeZ
11-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Human, I don't really understand what you mean in that last post. All I know is that I was homeschooled from 2nd to 5th grade and I'm angry at my mom for making me do it to this very day. Of course I would have protested, but at age 7 I really had no power.

I still have a good relationship with my parents for the most part, but I just hate that they made that decision. I had almost no social contacts throughout those years and I can't help but think that I might be a little better-adapted if not for those 4 years.

If you're honestly excited about it, give it a try for a while, but make sure you have a backup plan. Make sure that in case you hate it you can easily re-enroll in a school. I just hope your parents will let you do what you want and aren't apeshit insane like some parents I know were.

Officer Counterfit
11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Okay...I have decided to start homeschooling...my whole family agrees that it would be better for me and I would enjoy it alot more than regular school...I'm excited for everything about it except for the social groups...the agency puts together social grroups but only of your gender...it kind of sucks because I won't see another boy for months outside of my Hebrew school and they're all retards...maybe I'll get signed up for some sports seeing as there won't be any PE during homeschooling...I should also sign up for filming class...yup...that would be fun...and the sports would be horseback riding and swimming...I'd also want to start up computer animation...wait...do they have that for sixth graders? Well anyways...I'm really excited...do you think it's a good choice? I'll only be doing it for my middle school years...
you dont have friends that are guys?