PDA

View Full Version : Idiocy and the English language

the_GoDdEsS
11-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Now folks, I freely admit that I just have trouble trying to respect those who don't speak their own language properly and completely fuck it up. I'm sure so do many of you.

But what about those who speak English as a foreign language? Are you able to tolerate it? Do you judge people according to the form they present their message in or according to its content (if it's relatively comprehensible)? Honestly. Personally, reading terrible English makes my brain hurt although from my own point of view as a non-native I'm trying to understand the problem but it's difficult.

Tizzalicious
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
It depends. It usually automatically makes me think someone is stupid though. Which doesn't really have to to be the case.

Although some mistakes just shouldn't be made.

Mannen som blev en gris
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
I agree. Look at Headaroundu. Sure, if his english was better he'd still be stupid, but probably stupid in a different way.

the_GoDdEsS
11-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Same here. Then again, you could have a normal person who's just shit at languages. Somehow I don't think that's the case often though.

the_GoDdEsS
11-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree. Look at Headaroundu. Sure, if his english was better he'd still be stupid, but probably stupid in a different way.

I can confirm to you that it's similar with his native language. Just less mistakes.

Tizzalicious
11-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Same here. Then again, you could have a normal person who's just shit at languages. Somehow I don't think that's the case often though.

Hmm, some people just don't have a feeling for it. And then there are people from countries who just don't get a lot of English in school, so they suck at it too. But there are some basic things that some people make mistakes in that they should be able to get after a while. Like how to pluralize a word. It's simple, get it right. When I see people make mistakes with things like that, it really annoys me.

Betty
11-11-2005, 01:52 PM
I personally find language barriers extremely frustrating.

I try not to condescend upon people who can't speak it that well, but I find that no matter what I will never be able to communicate with them at the level I would like, so we would always have a relatively superficial relationship.

But I mean... a bunch of the people on here don't speak English as their mother tongue but can speak it as well as I can... a lot of them being the people I consider very intelligent... so I usually don't know what to think.

I suppose it's one of those things where I try not to have any prejudice but deep down in my subconscious I always do.

Lammat
11-11-2005, 01:57 PM
well, my english is not so good, but I do my very best.

We learn it at school, and i also learn it from tv and lyricks.

You can always point me on voc/gram mistakes.

Mannen som blev en gris
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I can confirm to you that it's similar with his native language. Just less mistakes.
Oh, okay... But then look at igniton/pyro (yes, igniton) for example:

not if you are speaking whit your irritating british aksant
But apparently he's 12 (dalaksta too actually... that explains a few things), and I don't think I was any better at that age.

platinumpt
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14252&highlight=british+people

Mota Boy
11-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Basically, I operate under the assumption that everyone who writes poorly is a moron. If it turns out that English is their native tongue, then I just bump them down a few more notches.

Izie
11-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I'm gay and I usually assume that people who can't write aren't particularly smart. But then I tend to slap myself and remember that my Dutch is actually quite bad (don't start comforting me, I've been trying to compose some shit in Dutch all night and I got like 5 lines, but when I just decided to do it in english and translate it later I got it done in 20 mins, so FUCK I'M PISSED), and I don't even want to consider what the people here must think of me when I start talking.

So as of recently... Well, a year back, I've been trying to see beyond the use of language (unless it's obviously someone who just won't even try to learn or is deliberately typing like an idiot).

HeadAroundU
11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
yuo dirty litlle sveden boi!

You don't know who I'm.

Stay away from me! allright! :cool:

Anya82
11-11-2005, 04:00 PM
hmm... sometimes it's kinda annoying to read messages like those... but I tolerate that cause my english still sucks. And i also think that some of those people might be still learning english or need to practice it.
But, if you're talking about those people who write an awful english on purpose with mixed caps, words that can't be even pronounced, and shit like that... i must say i hate it.

Trippy
11-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah, sometimes if you don't know the language that well it can bring you back to the level of a five yeard old kids. For example every Russian guys here seems to be idiots because they speak the language so funnily even though some of them might be over 20 years. It's not fair for the people who's native language isn't English, I could express myself a lot better if English was my first language.

0r4ng3
11-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't judge people who can't speak English well. I just have a thing against people who can't use punctuation, or even worse, use smilies instead of punctuation.

HeadAroundU
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
STOP BITCHING!
Go to learn SLOVAK language!fat ass!
This is for fat american Hamburgers!

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2005, 05:44 PM
My first language is not English and I do my best to write/speak it the best I can, but I think it's far from perfect. From my personal experience, I totally hate it when I know I could write intelligent posts, but I'm not able to because it would take me the entire night. It was more the case a year or two ago, though.

Anyway, to go more on topic, I'm usually able to tolerate it, because I know how hard it can be to write in your second or third language. Although I must say, people who write like HeadAroundU frustrates me. It seems as if he does it for fun, I just can't believe someone of his age can't write a single sentence without a mistake in it. Most of the time, I'll just find that slightly funny, until it's impossible to read what the person wanted to write... I must agree that I sometimes have that misconception that someone is stupid when their English is terrible. I try to remember that my English is/was not always so good.

Sorry to all of you who might think I'm stupid because my English sometimes sucks. ;)

T-6005
11-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I have a hard time tolerating improper English, particularly if it comes from an English speaker. I hate that people can't take the time to write properly in their own language.

Sin Studly
11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I look down on anybody who isn't fluent in 50+ languages.

The_Hombre
11-11-2005, 06:25 PM

I look down on you.

Hmm. Nothing is solved.

the_GoDdEsS
11-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Sorry to all of you who might think I'm stupid because my English sometimes sucks. ;)

Val, I actually think your English is pretty awesome. I remember you've complained about it before but I don't see a reason why you should.

Ste, go away.

HornyPope
11-11-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm used to language barriers from my travels. It's quite fascinating that way, actually. Anyone who speaks English is already in one way or another influenced by the Americanized culture (tv, pop music) and a conversation with him isn't anywhere near as interesting as say a Catalan in France.

Online however, if you surfed the internets for over five years and still haven't picked English... you're probably a moron. Well except for the Asians. They have their own little online world so they don't venture into ours and therefore need not any reason to speak English.

Nicole
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
I can put up with basic grammar and spelling errors, I'm sure I make them myself. What I can't stand is people who take the English language, completely change the spelling and then think that it makes them look cool to put numbers in and abbreviate everything. It makes what they're trying to say way too difficult to follow.

killer_queen
11-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Idiot. Thanks to Noodles is Gay, now we all know you can't actually speak all those languages.
And I know my English kinda sucks but there's nothing I can do about it. That's all I can learn from my teachers.

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 04:03 AM
I never learnt anything from my English teachers. The only thing I learnt was to hate them because they were bad at what they were doing.

JoY
11-12-2005, 04:05 AM
I always feel it's a matter of interest. if English isn't your mother tongue & you try to make conversation with foreigners in English, not even making an effort to get your English remotely right shows a lack of interest in my opinion. of course there are exceptions, like dyslexics, people with barely any form of intelligence, or people who do try hard, but never came across the English language before. though that last one is slightly hard to imagine to me. to me disinterest is a form of being rude & that's why it annoys me so much, when people don't even make a fucking effort to use the English language correctly.

JoY
11-12-2005, 04:07 AM
I never learnt anything from my English teachers. The only thing I learnt was to hate them because they were bad at what they were doing.
same here, but I was rather privileged with having been in Africa & America at a young age & English/American telly.

Kerr
11-12-2005, 04:29 AM
To be honest, I actually thought English was your first language.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-12-2005, 08:35 AM
The most frustrating thing is when people who CAN type English perfectly but REFUSE to. I find this is always native English people.

killer_queen
11-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Same here. My English has improved a lot since I joined these boards. I love learning new languages but classroom is not the correct place for it. Having conversations is more useful.

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 09:00 AM
They teach you bullshit in traditional classrooms. Unless it's communicative language approach, direct method (i.e. not using the mother tongue at all, I'm teaching languages according to this one right now) and the like.

JoY
11-12-2005, 09:06 AM
The most frustrating thing is when people who CAN type English perfectly but REFUSE to. I find this is always native English people.
exactly! it's an absolute disinterest, like I said. it's just rude.

Tired_Of_You
11-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Val, I actually think your English is pretty awesome. I remember you've complained about it before but I don't see a reason why you should. I know my English is not entirely perfect. I'm in what they call English 102 at college right now and the best class is English 103 (there's 100, 101, 102, 103). I had to pass a test and I could say it's because I couldn't hear anything during the oral part because the speakers were shit, but I know it's not the only reason. My English is better than most people, but I'm still not 100% bilingual.

I'm glad you think it's awesome :)

Thanks Kerr.

They teach you bullshit in traditional classrooms. Unless it's communicative language approach, direct method (i.e. not using the mother tongue at all, I'm teaching languages according to this one right now) and the like.Since secondary 1 (Grade 7) they teach us English like that. The teachers only speaks in English. I've had teachers who weren't even able to speak in French. I must agree with you, though. Most of my English teachers didn't teach me anything.

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Probably full immersion or whatever it's called. I forget. But it's good that way. I only had English for four years in high school (before I went to study it at uni) and I had terrible teachers there who spoke Slovak 90% time of the lesson so I learnt the most through self-study and online instead.

Now I myself am teaching at a language centre and I speak English or German only (depends on what I'm teaching) and 0% Slovak to my students. The kids learn real fast, the adults are a bit creeped out because they're used to translating everything. But the stuff works and most of the people I'm teaching are becoming good.

Grr, I'm getting kinda off topic here.

Nina
11-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I can tolerate it, unless it happens in real life. When someone in my English major (class) makes mistakes which I consider stupid I just want to hit him in the face.
I can understand how difficult it can be to speak English fluently when it isn't your mother tongue...in my opinion it is easy to figure out whether the person who you read a text of is actually making an effort to be understandable or when he's like HAU.

belen1979
11-12-2005, 10:36 AM
the adults are a bit creeped out because they're used to translating everything.

yeah, i'm spanish and i think that's the problem with people who doesn't speak english as first language. i see it here, everybody thinks in spanish and then do the translation, so what they say sound stupid, because it only makes sense if you translate it word by word into spanish again...

people should get used to think in the language they're trying to use, it's hard at first, but then everything goes easier...

and having "an interesting conversation" is hard because sometimes you can't find the correct words in your own language, so in english it's practically impossible... really really hard...

by the way, the english we learn at school is VERY different from the english used "in the street". since i've joined this forum i've learned a lot, and i go on learning... (urbandictionary is my favourite page by now, lol)

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Exactly. You have to learn to think in the language. My English got infinitely better when I started reading and writing a lot in English and sorting out my thoughts like that.

Whereas when people translate everything, it takes so damn long. And it doesn't work word by word because the languages are often not related. So they'd first translate from English to their native language. Then formulate a reply to it in their native language. Translate that reply into English somehow. And that's just a fucked up long process. But the fuckers insist on translating and I force them not to.

belen1979
11-12-2005, 10:48 AM
yep, but it seems to be really hard. my first english teacher told me not to translate, so i think in english since i got my first class and it's easy for me. but i'm telling my sister to do that and she cannot do it, she says that it's impossible for her... maybe it's just too late to start doing that for her...

i think that teachers (at least here in spain) don't really know how to teach a language... they seem to be stupid... ALL the teachers i've had in school and in high school spoke spanish in english classes (it's soooooo stupid) we asked them in spanish and they answerd in spanish. it's impossible to learn a language that way. if you don't know what a word means they should explain it in english, like a dictionay does, but they just translate. i think it's just because of that that most people here in spain cannot speak english well. grrrrrrr, i got soooo upset with that!!!

memento
11-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm really sure people with shit English are extremely concerned with people thinking they are stupid.

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, once she's used to translating it'll be hard for her not to. There are dozens of words in English I perfectly understand but don't know their equivalents in my own language. What for? I keep the languages as two separate systems of thinking.

belen1979
11-12-2005, 11:20 AM
yeah!!! it happens to me too!!! sometimes i feel stupid thinking for a minute how to translate something into spanish, and finally i have to explain what that thing is because i can't find the spanish word!!! hehehehe

but for me it only happens with english, i find german extremely difficult to learn, it's impossible for me... hehe, and french, i can understand most of things when written, but spoken is hard to understand, and i speak a very little french too. but with english, it's like i had learned it in other life, hehe, and now it comes to my head!!! it's strange, i know, but sometimes i use words that i even didn't know i had seen before. maybe because of reading a lot of english and they're just there...

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, it comes with how much you're actually exposed to that language. I like saying I speak perfect German but only because I learnt it all off the German TV. Not school. And I completely suck at French because I never did anything with it outside of the classroom and somehow can't find the time or patience to get back to it now.

Betty
11-12-2005, 11:34 AM
That used to happen to me with French where I knew the French word and had to look in my French-English dictionary to find the English one. Sometimes I knew the word, it just hadn't come to mind as quickly. And sometimes it just didn't seem to have that exact same meaning I wanted.

But I agree with Dush, if I were learning a foreign language, I would be terrified of having conversations. Even in French, where I'm fluent, but very slow and rusty at conversation, I generally avoid speaking in the language since I feel embarassed and stupid and like people will mock me in their minds.

That could be partly related to how I feel in general when engaging in conversation (Oh my god, is he judging me?! Did I say the right thing?! Am I interesting?!) but I've been told that you just have to get over that part. And I guess I'd just have to start doing it to get used to it.