PDA

View Full Version : Smarter Kids May Live Longer

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051111/hl_nm/iq_life_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Smarter children may enjoy longer lives, the results of a new study suggest.
ADVERTISEMENT
click here

The study, which followed elderly adults deemed gifted by childhood IQ tests, found that the higher their early IQs were, the longer they lived -- up to a point, at least. The survival advantage began to plateau after a childhood IQ of 163, an intelligence level few people reach.

Dr. Laurie T. Martin and Laura D. Kubzansky of the Harvard School of Public Health report these findings in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

Though the reasons for the link between IQ and longevity are not clear, it does not appear to be merely a reflection of income and social position. As children, the participants were from affluent families and most were white. Yet childhood IQ was still a factor in their lifespan.

Similarly, in an earlier study of Americans with more varied childhood IQs and family incomes, Martin found that IQ was related to health problems independently of socioeconomics.

This, she told Reuters Health, suggests that IQ affects longevity among lower-income people as well.

As research has already linked IQ to mortality, the current study, according to Martin, was in part an attempt to see how far the IQ-health advantage extends. The researchers expected there to be a cutoff at which a high IQ no longer brought any extra health benefits.

And there was. But, Martin said, they were surprised at how high that cutoff turned out to be.

IQs of 163 or higher are not often seen; the average IQ score in the general population is 100 (by definition), and children who score above 130 are considered "gifted."

The current study is based on data from 862 men and women followed since childhood, starting in 1922, until 1986. All had childhood IQs of 135 or higher, with the average being 151.

The researchers found that, up to the cutoff point of 163, participants' risk of dying during a given period decreased as their IQ increased; for example, those with a childhood IQ of 150 had a 44 percent lower risk of death than those with an IQ of 135.

Though it's not clear why childhood IQ itself might affect a person's lifetime health, Martin and Kubzansky point to several possibilities. For one, these children may be more likely to take up healthy habits like regular exercise, while shunning health risks like smoking. They are also more likely to get high-paying, prominent jobs as adults, with all the advantages that confers.

And in general, Martin noted, IQ scores reflect a "set of skills," like reasoning, planning and communication, that affect how people manage their health -- from talking with their doctors to dealing with a complex healthcare system.

Understanding exactly why IQ affects longevity, according to Martin, could ultimately help improve health and healthcare for everyone.

SOURCE: American Journal of Epidemiology, November 2005.

Sorry for the sad news, TPKYL.

platinumpt
11-11-2005, 04:57 PM
haha Richard, you're a nasty motherfuker. Leave him alone.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Fine, fine.

Sweet, I'm gonna die 44% less than other people. xD

I know, that wasn't supposed to be accurate >.>

0r4ng3
11-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I never wanted to live too long anyway.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Dumbkid: Hey, wanna go Sky-Diving?

Smart kid: Uh, no, I think I'll sit that one out thanks.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Bump !

the_offsprings_monkey
11-22-2005, 03:37 PM
If the smart do live longer I'm going to die pretty young.

Offspring-Fanatic
11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
well that depends on what kind of smart. intelligence smart or comprehending things smart? I'm pretty smart in school but I don't comprehend things well >.< that's why it takes me forever to understand some jokes. or really complicated explanations...

China Boy
11-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Well what do you know!

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:03 PM

No shit, Sherlock.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:04 PM
No shit, Sherlock.

I wouldn't talk; if unintelligent kids live shorter lives it's gonna be a photo finish to the grave between you and TPKYL.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't talk; if unintelligent kids live shorter lives it's gonna be a photo finish to the grave between you and TPKYL.

First of all, it was a joke. Second, you don't even know who I am, so you can't say stuff about me just as I can't say stuff about you or him.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:08 PM
First of all, it was a joke. Second, you don't even know who I am, so you can't say stuff about me just as I can't say stuff about you or him.

Uh. You affirmed TOM's comment that he was going to die earlier because he's not smart. That's a comment.

And if it's the case that we can't say anything about anyone, you may aswell just go ahead and delete 95% of the forum's posts.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Uh. You affirmed TOM's comment that he was going to die earlier because he's not smart. That's a comment.

And if it's the case that we can't say anything about anyone, you may aswell just go ahead and delete 95% of the forum's posts.

You're the mod. I have no powers like that. And how was I supposed to know his name? He never told me.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:11 PM
You're the mod. I have no powers like that. And how was I supposed to know his name? He never told me.

Oh man, you're so gonna die first.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:14 PM

There are so many thing I could say to prove you wrong, but then I'll get yelled at for bragging again, so I won't.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:15 PM
There are so many thing I could say to prove you wrong, but then I'll get yelled at for bragging again, so I won't.

Something along the lines of "I'm top of my class, I've won half a million awards, blah blah blah"? Because that's not intelligence. That's knowledge. And anyway, your posts in this thread confirm that you're a complete moron.

nieh
11-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Translation: TUNB is outside your window with a fucking shotgun. No, really.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Yep, *steps out the way so drummer can run past to his awaiting grave*

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Translation: TUNB is outside your window with a fucking shotgun. No, really.

It's a sniper rifle, and I'm in a tree across from his house. Your sources are -whack-, y0.

nieh
11-25-2005, 02:20 PM
It's a sniper rifle, and I'm in a tree across from his house. Your sources are -whack-, y0.

That's the last time I give any money to "Donnie's Discount Stalking" then, I can tell you that much.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Something along the lines of "I'm top of my class, I've won half a million awards, blah blah blah"? Because that's not intelligence. That's knowledge. And anyway, your posts in this thread confirm that you're a complete moron.

No, more along the lines of testing into University High school, a college prep high school that has been known as the best high school in Arizona, from a 3rd rate middle school. And as a Sophomore, I only have two classes that aren't honors, Drumline and A.P. Comparative Politics (which was ranked #1 in the world last year). All of these classes I am doing well in. If you want to see more about University high, here's the link. University High School (http://edweb.tusd.k12.az.us/uhs/)

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:22 PM
All that doesn't change the fact that you thought TOM was a name.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:26 PM
All that doesn't change the fact that you thought TOM was a name.

I thought Tom was his name because Tom is a normal name for a person (my name is Thomas), I don't know his real name, and I was up real late and got up real early.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I thought Tom was his name because Tom is a normal name for a person (my name is Thomas), I don't know his real name, and I was up real late and got up real early.

I've been awake for 34 hours. Your shitty argument doesn't cut it.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:30 PM
I've been awake for 34 hours. Your shitty argument doesn't cut it.

Okay, but the fact that my body isn't used to these hours is completely irrelevant to the fact that you are capable of staying up that long.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Okay, but the fact that my body isn't used to these hours is completely irrelevant to the fact that you are capable of staying up that long.

I'm NOT. I've had a ten hour flight and I'm too tired to sleep. Fuck you.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm NOT. I've had a ten hour flight and I'm too tired to sleep. Fuck you.

So what does that have to do with my sleep patterns?

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
So what does that have to do with my sleep patterns?

I'm not used to this amount of sleep at ALL. Yet I'm still able to function without bumping into chairs and tables.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm not used to this amount of sleep at ALL. Yet I'm still able to function without bumping into chairs and tables.

Once again, what does this have to do with my sleep patterns?

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Once again, what does this have to do with my sleep patterns?

BECAUSE YOU SAY YOU HAVEN'T HAD MUCH SLEEP BUT THAT'S NO EXCUSE, BECAUSE I'VE HAD LESS THAN YOU AND I CAN STILL FUNCTION WITHOUT BEING A RETARD!

Stop being such a retard!

0r4ng3
11-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Drummerguy, are you dead now?

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:43 PM
BECAUSE YOU SAY YOU HAVEN'T HAD MUCH SLEEP BUT THAT'S NO EXCUSE, BECAUSE I'VE HAD LESS THAN YOU AND I CAN STILL FUNCTION WITHOUT BEING A RETARD!

Stop being such a retard!

Okay, let me explain. My body requires more sleep than yours, therefore, you will be able to function on less sleep than I will. My point is that you being able to do this has nothing to do with me not being completely awake right now. Understand?

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Okay, let me explain. My body requires more sleep than yours, therefore, you will be able to function on less sleep than I will. My point is that you being able to do this has nothing to do with me not being completely awake right now. Understand?

No, that's not it at all. You were using lack of sleep as an excuse for being a retard.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:48 PM
No, that's not it at all. You were using lack of sleep as an excuse for being a retard.

I was using my lack of sleep as an excuse for not thinking completely straight right now. You were using your lack of sleep as an excuse to try to make me look stupid.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I was using my lack of sleep as an excuse for not thinking completely straight right now. You were using your lack of sleep as an excuse to try to make me look stupid.

It's not an excuse. I think you'll see that I'm functioning fine, so lack of sleep is not an excuse.

Shut up, stupid.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry drummerguy but you are embarrising yourself now, and thats coming from ME!?!?!!

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:52 PM
It's not an excuse. I think you'll see that I'm functioning fine, so lack of sleep is not an excuse.

Shut up, stupid.

you just don't understand my point. My point is that even though you may be able to function fine with a lack of sleep, I cannot. I can't explain it to be more obvious than that.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:52 PM
you just don't understand my point. My point is that even though you may be able to function fine with a lack of sleep, I cannot. I can't explain it to be more obvious than that.

Oh, for god's sake. I'm done trying to explain.

Shut up, stupid.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Oh, for god's sake. I'm done trying to explain.

Shut up, stupid.

I'll shut up if you say you at least understand my point.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I'll shut up if you say you at least understand my point.

No, because you refuse to understand mine.

Shut up, stupid.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I understand you and I will shut up if you just tell me that you understand my point.

Back in Black
11-25-2005, 03:30 PM
yes, I'm going to live longer.

0r4ng3
11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Longer than the average fruit fly, that is.

Drummerguy123
11-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Longer than the average fruit fly, that is.

good one .

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-26-2005, 10:55 AM
You done Drummer-guy?

God. I don't have that much of a chance of living.

0r4ng3
11-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Nimrod In Town']You done Drummer-guy?
He probably is, seeing as the previous post was made yesterday night.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-26-2005, 11:01 AM
He probably is, seeing as the previous post was made yesterday night.

I know. It's just that he spammed about 3 pages of this thread.

.:SMASH:.
11-26-2005, 12:27 PM
i dont wanna die!!!!!

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-26-2005, 12:34 PM
i dont wanna die!!!!!
That's too bad. You're going to die sooner than most people here. Nice knowing ya!

11-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Nimrod In Town']That's too bad. You're going to die sooner than most people here. Nice knowing ya!
nice knowing you too dude...
i gotta make a to-do-list-before-i-cark-it-or-so-god-help-me list

barangatang
11-26-2005, 12:46 PM
nice knowing you too dude...
i gotta make a to-do-list-before-i-cark-it-or-so-god-help-me list

You're not, and never will be funny.

11-26-2005, 01:07 PM
You're not, and never will be funny.
who says im trying to be funny?