PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Author

killer_queen
11-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Well, I was replying to "what are you reading" thread and I realized William Faulkner is my favourite. And I saw "what is the stupidest thread you have ever made" thread so I decided to learn what yours are by making this thread.

bd007h
11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
probably Stephen King

Izie
11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Dostoyevsky and Crnjanski. I'd go on and make a long list, but eh, these are the only two actually REALLY worth mentioning on a "favourite author" list.

Nirushika6789
11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Steven King or

Philip Gross ( one of the authors of the Point Horror books)

Conspiracy of One
11-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Tom Clancy is great. I've read a ton of his books and I like the majority of them.

the_GoDdEsS
11-12-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't have a favourite author, just like I don't have a favourite music genre or song. It's just impossible to pick one and limit myself to it. I've enjoyed Wilde (the Dandyism), Goethe (the everything), Lodge (the satire), Böll (the philosophical), Shakespeare (the language), Fowles (the postmodernist features and collage), Orwell (the regimist features, style), Tajovsky (the home elements) and many others.

memento
11-12-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't read novels.

Right now Kroptokin is doing it for me, writes beautifully. I also really like the way Ronald Dworkin writes and Oliver Wendell Holmes Jnr.

Sin Studly
11-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Oscar Wilde.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Heh, Andy Griffiths.

Sinister
11-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Stephen King, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, Tom Clancy.

T-6005
11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
This is a hard question to wrap my mind around - it's a hard choice.

I love Bradbury's style of writing, I'm a huge fan. Lately, I've been partial to Salman Rushdie, though. And I've always been a huge Orwell fan. Chuck Palanhiuk (I can't actually remember how to spell his name) has quite a captivating writing style, and I like the way his books are multilayered.

When I'm just in the mood for some entertainment, I'm partial to Robert Jordan. One of the few fantasy writers I feel has some depth to his writing.

Rag Doll
11-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Al Franken. Though, lately the only thing I have been reading are textbooks... =\

Just a Girl
11-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace are very good at funny, easy to read books. Chuck Palahniuk is absolutely brilliant if you want something that needs more attention. I also enjoy Irvine Welsh and Thomas Harris. and too many others. bah.

T-6005
11-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I don't understand the obsession with Tom Clancy. Personally, I find his books totally devoid of any spark of interest. Same goes for Michael Crighton.

Sin Studly
11-12-2005, 07:13 PM
It's true, they're horrible horrible writers.

T-6005
11-12-2005, 07:15 PM
It's true, they're horrible horrible writers.
You know who else is a horrible writer?

Dan Brown.

Linda
11-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Stephen King

Little_Miss_1565
11-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Flannery O'Connor
Gabriel García Marquez
David Sedaris

lenar
11-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Chuck Palahniuk
Mark Z. Danielewski

Little_Miss_1565
11-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Mark Z. Danielewski

I loved House of Leaves, except for the ending. I thought it was really anticlimactic and disappointing.

HornyPope
11-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Hey Sarah, what Marquez novels/stories did you like best?

dextermyideal
11-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Stephen King and Amélie Nothomb

SkyRocker
11-13-2005, 02:51 AM
I used to like Agatha Christie.
By now, it's Frederic Beigbeider, a great French novelist.

China Boy
11-13-2005, 04:07 AM
David Eddings.

killer_queen
11-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Gabriel García Marquez
How could I forget him? All my family are big fans of him. I've been seeing his books all around the house since I was born. Everyone in the house -including me sometimes- reads his books again and again.

JoY
11-13-2005, 05:24 AM
I mostly read Dutch authors. never translations, I hate translations. all the English books I've read were all by different authors, so I can't really make a good judgement for myself.

PsychoticAndInsomniac
11-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Gabriel García Márquez, Hermann Hesse and George Orwell

Tizzalicious
11-13-2005, 06:10 AM
I mostly read Dutch authors. never translations, I hate translations. all the English books I've read were all by different authors, so I can't really make a good judgement for myself.

Pffff. Be nice to translators.

I agree though.

I don't really have a favourite author.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Bill Bryson.

JoY
11-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Pffff. Be nice to translators.

I agree though.

I don't really have a favourite author.
of course it's absolutely awesome work for those who aren't too good with English/languages overall/dyslexics/etc. I mean, my boyfriend struggles to get through any book, letting alone an English one. he's terribly dyslexic. I spellcheck even every essay he makes. I'm his Dutch-Dutch translator. ;p

plus a translator does more than just translating books.

just all inside jokes, everything you normally can read between the lines, all emotion, etc, etc, etc, definitely isn't as good in any other language than the original language the book was written in.

Liesbeth
11-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Raymond Elias Feist

Liesbeth
11-13-2005, 07:08 AM
David Eddings.

I like him to, especially the Belgarion.

Paint_It_Black
11-13-2005, 07:32 AM
George R R Martin and Terry Pratchett are probably my favourites.

I used to be a huge fan of Stephen King from about age 11 to 18, then I began to get bored. I've read and enjoyed a lot of Anne Rice and Robert Jordan.

Michael Crichton is decent and his books are entertaining and thought provoking.

clokey43
11-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I don't really have a fvourite author, however, I've really enjoyed books by Linda la Plant and Chris Ryan. I'm really the type that looks at a book and thinks yeah ok sounds good I'll read it.

Vera
11-13-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't really have a favourite author. I like several books by some authors, but I don't have a habit of picking up some book, really liking it and then reading everything the person's written. Well, I have done that once or twice (with writers that write purely entertaining novels, chicklit and the like), but I'm too lazy for it. I'm supposed to have read everything Welsh has written but I still haven't read Ecstacy. Same with Palahniuk but I have only read like 3 novels by him now.

And if I was to name an author whose work I know and have read widely and whose works I also like and who I have respect for, I'd say the Swedish children's/young adults' author-team of Anders Jacobsson - Sören Olsson.

Most young adults' authors I've read try too hard to be "cool" and up-to-date with the young slang but they truly have no idea what goes on in the head of a modern 14 year old. Jacobsson - Olsson write realistic, funny, sympathetic novels that aren't afraid to write about topics like teens having sex in the way that things usually are at that stage; innosence, curiosity but not knowing too much about anything.

They're written a heckload of books but my absolute favourite ones are the Nalle&Zeina series. Cute, funny books. The type I'd encourage my daughter/son to read, if I had one who was in their early teens.

Dive
11-13-2005, 12:07 PM
This week: Jean Genet, Samuel Beckett, Albert Camus, Ernest Hemingway, Georges Bataille.

Offspring7
11-13-2005, 12:12 PM
favorite author...lurlene mcdaniel

Lithuanian Offspring
11-13-2005, 12:50 PM
probably Stephen King
Without a doubt.

China Boy
11-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't really have a favourite author. I like several books by some authors, but I don't have a habit of picking up some book, really liking it and then reading everything the person's written. Well, I have done that once or twice (with writers that write purely entertaining novels, chicklit and the like), but I'm too lazy for it. I'm supposed to have read everything Welsh has written but I still haven't read Ecstacy. Same with Palahniuk but I have only read like 3 novels by him now.

And if I was to name an author whose work I know and have read widely and whose works I also like and who I have respect for, I'd say the Swedish children's/young adults' author-team of Anders Jacobsson - Sören Olsson.

Most young adults' authors I've read try too hard to be "cool" and up-to-date with the young slang but they truly have no idea what goes on in the head of a modern 14 year old. Jacobsson - Olsson write realistic, funny, sympathetic novels that aren't afraid to write about topics like teens having sex in the way that things usually are at that stage; innosence, curiosity but not knowing too much about anything.

They're written a heckload of books but my absolute favourite ones are the Nalle&Zeina series. Cute, funny books. The type I'd encourage my daughter/son to read, if I had one who was in their early teens.

Heh, I met those guys once. They gave me their autograph
:cool: .

Amanda
11-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Dostoevsky.

Cejus
11-13-2005, 01:03 PM
My favourite authors are Arthur Conan Doyle (who created 'Sherlock Holmes') and Edgar Allan Poe (who has written a lot of stories, e.g: "The tell-tale heart", "Murders in the Rue Morgue"...)

nameless
11-13-2005, 04:00 PM
peter unger!

T-6005
11-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I used to like Agatha Christie.
By now, it's Frederic Beigbeider, a great French novelist.
God, speaking of French novelists, what's the name of the guy who wrote "La Ligne Noire"?

He's awesome.

darko
11-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Anne Rice
and there was another one...but i cant remember his name

The_Hombre
11-13-2005, 06:08 PM
My favourite authors are Matthew Reilly, Lincoln Child and David Morrel.

After reading the list - Chuck Palahniuk, Diary was a great book.

Little_Miss_1565
11-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey Sarah, what Marquez novels/stories did you like best?

Cien años de soledad / One Hundred Years of Solitude, of course. I can't count how many times I've read it. Crónica de una muerte anunciada is another great one. As for stories, I haven't read a single one I haven't been in love with.

I wasn't so fond of his autobiography, though.

punker
11-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Cien años de soledad / One Hundred Years of Solitude, of course. I can't count how many times I've read it. Crónica de una muerte anunciada is another great one. As for stories, I haven't read a single one I haven't been in love with.

I wasn't so fond of his autobiography, though.

I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez too, and 100 años de soledad is one of my favourites, read memorias de mis putas tristes, is awesome, i think that is the name of his autobiography

Offspring7
11-13-2005, 09:16 PM
and Edgar Allan Poe (who has written a lot of stories, e.g: "The tell-tale heart", "Murders in the Rue Morgue"...)

edgar allan poe is viewed as one of the greatest mystery authors, and i don't dispute that. but i personally think his writing is scary and disgusting. the one about cutting out a cats eye gave me nightmares and made me sick to my stomach.

bd007h
11-13-2005, 09:20 PM
The Black Cat, that was a good story. I took a tour of one of Edgar Allan Poe's former houses, the one that's in Philidelphia

JohnnyNemesis
11-13-2005, 09:21 PM
James fuckin' Baldwin. He is the most amazing, mindblowing writer/author/essayist ever everever. JAMES BALDWIN!

Hon. Mentions:

Sandra Cisneros (Equally mindblowing)
ZORA NEALE HURSTON!!!
Sherman Alexie
Charles W. Mills
Tim O'Brien
Jamaica Kincaid
Frederick Douglass
JD Salinger (YES I know he's overrated, just save it)

Little_Miss_1565
11-13-2005, 10:25 PM
The Black Cat, that was a good story. I took a tour of one of Edgar Allan Poe's former houses, the one that's in Philidelphia

"The Black Cat" is my favorite Poe story.

I was born in Baltimore, where Poe is buried. I should have known I'd go goth during high school.

Preocupado
11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Arthur Schopenhauer

oh man