PDA

View Full Version : Britsh Man Beats HIV

darko
11-14-2005, 04:42 AM
A British man has allegedly become the first person in the world to beat HIV.

A number of newspapers reported that Andrew Stimpson, 25, was diagnosed with the virus in 2002. He later tested negative in 2003.

Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare NHS Trust, which carried out the tests, now want him to undergo more before it can be established how he apparently beat the disease. Mr Stimpson said he did not take any medication for HIV.

A spokeswoman said: "These tests were accurate and they were his, but what we don't know at the moment is why that has happened, and we want him to come back in for more tests. It is potentially a fantastic thing."

Stimpson was tested three times in August 2002 at the Victoria clinic for sexual health in central London.

The results showed he was producing HIV antibodies to fight the killer disease.

He took vitamins and other dietary supplements in the hopes that this might prevent full-blown Aids from developing.

After impressing doctors with his good health, Stimpson was offered a new test in 2003.

It came back negative, and further tests in December 2003 and March 2004 also proved negative.

He told a newspaper: "It was the last thing I expected. I was astonished. I was baffled too.

"I couldn't understand how anyone could cure themselves of HIV . . . I thought it had to be wrong because no one can recover from HIV, it just doesn't happen."

The tests were re-checked by the Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare NHS Trust and they confirmed all the tests had been accurate.

The case has baffled medical experts and they want to study Mr Stimpson in the hope that they can learn more about beating HIV.

Do you think there was a mistake when he was diagnosed or after?

Sin Studly
11-14-2005, 04:44 AM
How very politically relevent.

darko
11-14-2005, 04:47 AM
move it then

Sin Studly
11-14-2005, 05:59 AM
Certainly sir, I'll utilise my very real and existant moderator priveleges to move your worthless trash around for you.

notoriousdoc
11-14-2005, 09:49 AM
HIV is for faggots

the_GoDdEsS
11-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Notdoc, you're British. You're a faggot. You have HIV.

Moved.

JoY
11-14-2005, 11:33 AM
this is potentially awesome news. maybe the dude produces a kind of antibody against HIV. (although.. that's theoretically impossible, since the virus changes shape all the time. maybe his antibodies are superantibodies that even beat HIV in any shape) in that case it can easily be cloned. wah, this gets me hyper.

HeadAroundU
11-14-2005, 11:33 AM
That's most probably bullshit.

voodoomagik
11-14-2005, 11:58 AM
lol! looks like even HIV has it's standards!

the_offsprings_monkey
11-14-2005, 11:59 AM

Moved.
Why do you all hate him?

JoY
11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
because his posts don't contribute anything.

& why wasn't this properly moved? it still shows up in General Chat, but it brings you to Off Topic. grrz. the site is messing with Sim's poweurz. how do you even move a thread anyway?

Preocupado
11-14-2005, 12:20 PM
cloned super antibodies that beat HIV in any shape?

*throws condoms throught the window*

JoY
11-14-2005, 12:22 PM
because that's like, the only STD out there. ;p

Italia311
11-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Can we have the link to this article please?

Preocupado
11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
hmmmm pWnZ

the_GoDdEsS
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Hrm? I left a re-direct in Politics.

Tired_Of_You
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Can we have the link to this article please?Use Google. That's what I did. You'll find it easily.

Nina
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Impressive. I need to know more about that.

White Goodman
11-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Britz r not gey! dey r sex!

Says the American

Tijs
11-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I saw this on Belgian news the other day, quite weird. He said that he would do anything to help people with HIV. I don't think he's lying, it might actually be true. There are people who really are immune to the virus.
As said before, the virus changes shape all the time, because it has to adapt to the circumstances. Today's circumstances are that there are more and more medicines against the virus. The University of Antwerp do researching on the virus and discovered it's weakening and it's already only 25% of what it used to be (articles: 1 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4290300.stm), 2 (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171363,00.html) ). So it's not that unlikely that the human body can destroy the virus.

0r4ng3
11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
I know this is kinda off-topic, but darko, do you have any posts that aren't copy/pasted from somewhere, be it e-mail or news article?

Jebus
11-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Didn't they think Magic Johnson was cured for a while? Then he stopped taking his meds and got it again. It might happen to this guy.

0r4ng3
11-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Yeah, but apparently, this guy never took meds in the first place. At least, nothing specifically fighting HIV.

darko
11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
yes....use the search button!

China Boy
11-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Why do you all hate him?
Because he's british.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Because he's british.
Oh yea, that must be it. :rolleyes:

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 07:56 AM

I was gonna type up this long thing about how amazing this is, how curious I am about this story, and the possibilities for the future, but then Simma had to post this.

And instead of doing all that, I have to praise her for this, because it was fucking excellent!

Linda
11-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Didn't they think Magic Johnson was cured for a while? Then he stopped taking his meds and got it again. It might happen to this guy.

The meds don't cure HIV. The virus only hides in the body when meds are taken. Of course, if someone stops the meds the virus will attack again. There is no cure.
Someone probably mixed up blood samples is all.

darko
11-17-2005, 01:48 PM
so he may never have it it in the first place? or someone in the lab has ALOT of explaining to do?

Offspring7
11-17-2005, 02:51 PM
if it made the news, i'd assume its a true thing. and hopefully this is a good sign for curing HIV. great great great!

Linda
11-17-2005, 04:39 PM
So you believe EVERYTHING you hear on the news?

What an idiot!

darko - blood samples could have been mixed up the first time or second time, if you know what I mean.

T-6005
11-17-2005, 04:51 PM
if it made the news, i'd assume its a true thing. and hopefully this is a good sign for curing HIV. great great great!
Wouldn't take everything they say as completely accurate.

It'd be great if this was true, though. I've heard the same things about how the virus is becoming less of a threat, but it still remains a huge problem, and an antibody for HIV would be amazing.

Linda
11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't take everything they say as completely accurate.

It'd be great if this was true, though. I've heard the same things about how the virus is becoming less of a threat, but it still remains a huge problem, and an antibody for HIV would be amazing.

It's only less of a threat because they now have meds that keeps it in check.
I understand, tho, that the meds don't work for everyone. Without the meds, it kills in time. I wish they could find a cure, something that could kill the virus.

Offspring7
11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
what i mean by the news, is a credible source such as nbc, abc, wb, cnn, msnbc, those types of news stations. not entertainment news. and linda, please don't call me an idiot.

Endymion
11-17-2005, 05:40 PM
the news always screws up science stories when they try to translate stuff from science-talk to lay-talk. reporters aren't trained as scientists so they misinterpret things, etc.

nieh
11-17-2005, 06:17 PM
So you believe EVERYTHING you hear on the news?

What an idiot!

darko - blood samples could have been mixed up the first time or second time, if you know what I mean.

According to the stories, he was tested positive three times in one year, then tested negative every time since then.

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
linda, please don't call me an idiot.

I second this.

0r4ng3
11-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Perhaps he didn't have HIV at all, and instead he had another disease with similar symptoms.

Linda
11-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Or someone got the blood samples mixed up. It's happened before.

Endymion: the news always screws up science stories when they try to translate stuff from science-talk to lay-talk. reporters aren't trained as scientists so they misinterpret things, etc.

The news always screws up ALL stories!

Offspring7: please don't call me an idiot.

Everyone here is called an idiot at some time or other. What makes YOU so special?

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 07:14 PM
It's not her that's special, it's you...since you've said before that you never slag anyone off unless they do it to you first, and this is pretty obvious proof that you were being less than honest when you said that.

Don't flip out on me over this. Just be objective.

Sinister
11-17-2005, 07:15 PM
It's not her that's special, it's you...since you've said before that you never slag anyone off unless they do it to you first, and this is pretty obvious proof that you were being less than honest when you said that.

is it just me or that was 100% pwnage ?

0r4ng3
11-17-2005, 07:16 PM
is it just me or that was 100% pwnage ?
It's just you. Believe me.

Kitten
11-17-2005, 07:16 PM
According to the stories, he was tested positive three times in one year, then tested negative every time since then.

Wasn't it all at the one place that he was tested positive? Maybe they had his records mixed up, in between testing periods they fired a secretary and discovered the mistake.

Sinister
11-17-2005, 07:17 PM
It's just you. Believe me.
ok - I'm too tired to think correctly right now. maybe i should get off the boards and into the real world for a few moments.

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm not trying to pwn anyone.

Linda
11-17-2005, 07:25 PM

if it made the news, i'd assume its a true thing

I call 'em the way I see 'em.

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Fair enough, but you still said that you never slag anyone unless they do it to you first.

Linda
11-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Dude, perhaps that was true a month ago, maybe even a year ago, but with all the slagging that's done to me, why the hell should I wait anymore....hmmmm?

Offspring7
11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
yeah, linda, i personally don't have a problem with you. your honestly not that bad, and people can be a little unreasonable towards you. i just figured if its on the news as a credible source,its possibly actually true; its just the way i think. no need to be calling anyone an idiot over it. it just made you look bad. and thanks to johnny.

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Dude, perhaps that was true a month ago, maybe even a year ago, but with all the slagging that's done to me, why the hell should I wait anymore....hmmmm?

You're right, you shouldn't wait anymore.

Just please, pretty please with sugar, two cherries, whipped cream and crumbled Oreo cookies on top, don't get whiny the next time people attack you for no reason, because we've established right here that you do it to others too.

Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

Linda
11-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I just love it when you beg! :p

JohnnyNemesis
11-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Love it enough to comply with my request?