PDA

View Full Version : The cost of travel

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the cost of travel is ridiculously high, if I want a taxi home after a night on the piss it cost me 15, if I want a bus into town its 3:50, also the price of coach's is fucking crazy, it cost me 28 just to get to Brighton, if it was 10 I would use it more often and so would loads of other people. These companies really need to think about their prices.

kami_mathieu
11-16-2005, 07:18 AM
thats why NORMAL people own private helicopter with pilots included to get them from the one street to the next. helooow welcome to 2005!!

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:21 AM
I know. I went from dewsbury to Oakenshaw by taxi cost me 17.
By bus: 75p. WTF?!

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Yea ano, but my city is "modern" and cost shit loads, even the buses cost lots, that 75p would just about get me to the end of my road.

belen1979
11-16-2005, 07:24 AM
travelling is expensive in all ways. i mean, i have cousins in mexico and brazil, and i can't go there because flying to mexico costs 2000 euros and going to brazil almost 1000 euros!!! it's incredible, i have to work for two months without spending a coin to get a ticket!!! incredible...

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:26 AM
I wonder how much America would cost...Gawd, my boyf was gunna go....He wouldn't take me 'cos he'd know I'd sneak away form him and go looking in Tennessee.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 07:26 AM
travelling is expensive in all ways. i mean, i have cousins in mexico and brazil, and i can't go there because flying to mexico costs 2000 euros and going to brazil almost 1000 euros!!! it's incredible, i have to work for two months without spending a coin to get a ticket!!! incredible...
For some reason flying is kinda cheap over here now I think about it, but thats cause we got the very chavvy Easyjet. :p

Lars
11-16-2005, 07:28 AM
http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/

one advantage of going by train. Other than that booking coach journies on www.megabus.com or www.nationalexpress.co.uk gets you trips for as little as 2 to basically anywhere in manland uk.

I can get to Edinburgh from London via www.gner.co.uk for 25 return when booking in advance.

I had to spend 15 one morning just for a travelcard to london (normally it's under 7) just caue it was 8something in the morning, that was annoying, they didn't want to give me reduced rate.

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Oohhh...I'm gunna look how much it costs.
God, I'm obsessed. Oh well.

belen1979
11-16-2005, 07:30 AM
oh, my god!!!!!!! i've just searched right now, and madrid - new york is about 3000 euros!!! that's... i can't believe it. i won't ever go to new york, now i know... shit!!!

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Stupid Easyjet go nowhere where I live. It wasn't meant to be. *wipes a tear*

belen1979
11-16-2005, 07:33 AM
For some reason flying is kinda cheap over here now I think about it, but thats cause we got the very chavvy Easyjet. :p

here, to go from one point of spain to the other (about 1000kms, i don't know how it's in miles or whatever...) well, to go and come back can cost about 200 - 300 euros (it's about the same in dollars), what's a lot, unless you go on holydays for a month, but you cannot go for a weekend, because you'll get poor for the rest of the month

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:37 AM
^ sounds like aload of stupid air fares.

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Wait!

Theres a manchester in Tennessee???
And....Knoxville...ain't that where Rick lives?

Lars
11-16-2005, 07:41 AM
I hardly ever pay for public transport like trains. where I live not buying trai tickets and being fined for that once a month is cheaper then buying tickets everytime I travel.

three train travel tactics: -write a note saying "toilet broken" stick it on the outside of a toilet and hide in it (they never check broken toilets)
-watch where the guy who checks the tickets gets

heh, on my first of two train journies they just make you pay for the price of the ticket to where you are going. I need a ticket for my second one though, otherwise I can't get out of the station.

kami_mathieu
11-16-2005, 07:41 AM
I hardly ever pay for public transport like trains. where I live not buying trai tickets and being fined for that once a month is cheaper then buying tickets everytime I travel.

three train travel tactics: -write a note saying "toilet broken" stick it on the outside of a toilet and hide in it (they never check broken toilets)
-watch where the guy who checks the tickets gets
in and get in on the other side of the train.
-if the guy who checks the tickets (there has to
be a better word for this, but I dont know it in
english) walks toward you pick up your stuff and
walk towards him and then past him. (never walk
away from him or you will look suspicious)

these tactics where all tested to the max by kami and friends.

_ߥ_vil_
11-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Oh...I could see KIM!!!

Rail prices.

Fuck Steve. He doesn't care less anyways.
Right, train prices....

Sunny
11-16-2005, 08:47 AM
public transportation is cheap here... so are cabs. i pay $75 a month for an unlimited subway card, so it's not bad at all. i still want to get a Vespa though.. it'll be cheaper in the long run..

and WTF to whoever said Madrid-NY flights are like $3000. i fly to Europe twice every year, and it's never much more than $1000. you just have to look.

Amanda
11-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Public transportation, where i live, is very cheap compared to the prices back in Rio. Here i spend about 3 bucks to get just about anywhere, back in rio i spent 15 just to get from college to my house. As for leaving the country, its practically impossible, prices even to go nearby countries in south america, are freakishly high.

Mentally_Challenged
11-16-2005, 08:55 AM
It only cost's me 80p to get to town centre. Mwahaha. And if I want to go to Norwich by train, (about 45 minutes from where I live), it only costs me about 3.20. Woot ;D

Oh, and someone said you can go from London to Edinburgh for 25?

For 10 extra on Sundays, you can go first class =P

Rag Doll
11-16-2005, 08:57 AM
I've only ever used public transportation to get into NYC or to get around IN NYC. It's not expensive...though, I do like to bitch about the cost of getting there (around $20 roundtrip by bus....but thats not even too bad). I'm not really sure how much it costs to go anywhere else though...

Tizzalicious
11-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Stupid Easyjet go nowhere where I live. It wasn't meant to be. *wipes a tear*

there is also:

www.ryanair.com
www.transavia.com
www.bmibaby.com
www.jet2.com

Preocupado
11-16-2005, 09:00 AM

Iit's all about the comfort of not making an effort.

Tizzalicious
11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
And I used national express to travel back and forth between London & Birmingham in March, it was awesome, haha. The coaches were great too, they had leather seats. I went from London, to Birmingham, to London, and then back to Birmingham. Each trip only cost me 1 pound.

In Holland I usually use the train, which is not all that cheap, but I have a discount card, it costs me 50,- but I got 40% off on each trainride, so it's worth it.

And then I use the tram a lot, we have special tickets for that, they are kinda expensive actually. But we Dutchies bike a lot. Because we're cheap. (And our country is flat.)

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
And I used national express to travel back and forth between London & Birmingham in March, it was awesome, haha. The coaches were great too, they had leather seats. I went from London, to Birmingham, to London, and then back to Birmingham. Each trip only cost me 1 pound.

In Holland I usually use the train, which is not all that cheap, but I have a discount card, it costs me 50,- but I got 40% off on each trainride, so it's worth it.

And then I use the tram a lot, we have special tickets for that, they are kinda expensive actually. But we Dutchies bike a lot. Because we're cheap. (And our country is flat.)
Is that them blue coach's? like 1 plus 50p booking fee.

belen1979
11-16-2005, 10:34 AM
and WTF to whoever said Madrid-NY flights are like $3000. i fly to Europe twice every year, and it's never much more than $1000. you just have to look.

it's me who said. i asked a friend that flies a lot to brazil, and he told me that it's cheaper if you fly with the brazilian company, but the prices flying with the spanish company (i think only Iberia flyes to america from here, yeah, a monopoly? is that the word?) well, iberia wants all of us to get crazy with their prizes, but it's the only company that have flights from all airports. if you want to get another company you have to go to important airports (and it means two tickets) even taking another company you have to spend a lot. here flying is too expensive

Sunny
11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
I just looked up flights from Madrid to New York at www.expedia.com... and they start at $537 with Alitalia. Roundtrip. Non-stop flights start at $782. quite a bit less than $3000, isn't it?

Mentally_Challenged
11-16-2005, 10:48 AM
...But he's using Euro's.

Edit: but it's still less than 3000 euro's anyway... :x

*leaves*

Sunny
11-16-2005, 10:49 AM
...uhh.. so?

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Euros are gay.

Mentally_Challenged
11-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Heaven knows why a currency would be concerned about its sexuality

belen1979
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I just looked up flights from Madrid to New York at www.expedia.com... and they start at $537 with Alitalia. Roundtrip. Non-stop flights start at $782. quite a bit less than $3000, isn't it?

yeah, you might be right, i'm not telling i'm totally right. for example, it's the first time i hear about alitalia... i also found flights to belgium from madrid that cost 30 euros, and iberia's prize is 300!!! LOL!!! but i live 500kms away from madrid, and i have to take 10hours bus or get a flight from santiago to madrid, that costs 150euros, so, what i say is that we have lots less possibilities. we have to use iberia for all, unless you have all that time to spend in a bus that costs 50euros anyway. it's too expensive. but, hey, i'll see that page, and see that possibility, THANKS!!! hehehe

anyway, look at iberia.com and you'll see that it costs a lot more. i'm not wrong in that (it can depend on the dates, but i choose this week to see how much it costed)

honey
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
There are reasons for high costs. If you compare it with other things, like food, clothes or what you'll havr to pay to get into a theme park or so, the costs for travelling aren't that expensive.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Heaven knows why a currency would be concerned about its sexuality
Ghay is my word for something crap, I think the euro is crap and hope Britain never becomes a part of it.

the_GoDdEsS
11-16-2005, 12:57 PM
I feel like tearing my hair out every day when buying tickets for public transport. I swear I'm going to cheat my way out of this next year, apply at a uni and never go there, just to get a student's card. This is killing me and my income. As for travelling abroad, it's ridiculously cheap to travel around Eastern Europe and expensive to go West.

Tizzalicious
11-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Is that them blue coach's? like 1 plus 50p booking fee.

Err...I don't know, They are white, blue & red I think, with NATIONAL EXPRESS written on the sides.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Err...I don't know, They are white, blue & red I think, with NATIONAL EXPRESS written on the sides.
WTF I get them and it cost me 28 a time :eek:

Tizzalicious
11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
You have to book a little while in advance and get this thing called Fun Fare.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 01:16 PM
You have to book a little while in advance and get this thing called Fun Fare.
Wow thanks for that :)

Lars
11-16-2005, 01:16 PM
You have to book the National Express busses in advance to get it cheap. I got a 2 return journey to Manchester on one next month, I didn't feel like paying the 40 for the train and it's only taking an extra hour or so... I hope it's not as shit as the last time I took one, it was really late and didn't smell that nice and a luggage door opened in the undercarriage and someones suitcase flew out just after getting on the motorway.

The blue one with the 50p booking is megabus. I linked to that earlier on.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Yea Im gonna do that, YAY Kimmith here I come. Thanks so much for that tizz, you rule.
EDIT: maybe not, it's the same price for me cause I'm form Bristol :( how gay.
EDIT 2: Ok maybe I'm wrong again lolz, I found somethink to london for 6 that saves 10 so far :D

the_offsprings_monkey
11-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Yay If I get this NX2 card for 10 I can go anywhere for 10 yaya so 20 insted of 28, Means eight milkshakes lolz :D

belen1979
11-16-2005, 02:04 PM

well, i found a ticket santiago - new york that costs $828.22 (really cheap, IMO), but the ticket to brazil costs $1,616.52 really expesive, iberia does it for 800- 900 euros. i think that the euro and the dollar are now the same (more or less)

now i think that you have to check lots of companies, it depends a lot from one to another... THANKS SUNNY, quiet useful this one (don't know how i never heard about it, i've spent weeks looking after cheap tickets... LOL)

dalaksta
11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
yea traveling costs quite a bit

nameless
11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
a return coach fare from london to milton keynes cost 15, i htought it was quite reasonable!

the_offsprings_monkey
11-17-2005, 03:58 AM
a return coach fare from london to milton keynes cost 15, i htought it was quite reasonable!
Yea it's the same for me to get to london.

JoY
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the cost of travel is ridiculously high, if I want a taxi home after a night on the piss it cost me 15, if I want a bus into town its 3:50, also the price of coach's is fucking crazy, it cost me 28 just to get to Brighton, if it was 10 I would use it more often and so would loads of other people. These companies really need to think about their prices.
totally. cabs are absolutely unaffordable here in Amsterdam. it costs me about 17 euros (depending on the taxi-company, some are cheaper) to get from the center to my house & I live about 10 minutes away from the center (when going by car). it's rediculous.

a nightbus costs 3 euros last time I checked & then you can go wherever you want to go in Amsterdam, BUT they leave only every hour & there aren't many stations/stops for nightbuses.

tram/normal bus costs about 2.40 euros, which is kind of okay, but still expensive as hell.

then, if you want to hire a minivan for a day, because you need to transport an.. electric piano for instance.. it costs you over 100 euros. luckily the people who hire my band pay for those costs.

almost forgot; a trainticket to my parents without discount (I lost my discount card) costs about 15 euros. *sigh* like I have that kind of money.