PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Mota Boy
11-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I've been eating out so much lately that going to the grocery store feels like going to the toy store felt. "Holy shit! Little wheels of cheese! I love this shit!" "Oh man, crunchy peanut butter, awesome!" I gazed longingly at the pre-fried chicken bucket and wondered just how those boldly-advertised herbs tasted. I'm not sure how I stand on the matter of pre-made meals at grocery stores. I suppose it's a nice compromise for the modern-day family. We're all eating a nice family meal around the dinner table, so what if someone else made it? What, you'd rather eat Domino's while watching TV? But I do like the idea of eating home-cooked meals. Especially fried chicken. My mom can make some damn good fried chicken. Suck it, Colonel.

Anyway, the store. My friend was craving a pumpking pie, I just wanted something. Was it pre-packaged pasta? A chicken salad sandwich? Some hearty vegetable soup? My eyes paused a bit when they got to the pudding section. What type of world do we live in where yogurt can be purchased in singly-serving packages but you've gotta make a commitment if you want chocolate pudding? Do I really want six of those fuckers? Ultimately I caved. I went up the the counter with some orange push-ups, chocolate pudding and beer. "Yes", I thought as the other people in line surreptitiously eyed my purchase, "I am in college".

the_GoDdEsS
11-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Hahahaha, I guess students all over the world seem to buy the same stuff. We used to call it the 'students' food'.

JoY
11-17-2005, 07:27 AM
fantastically written. & I fully relate. when I first moved out, the supermarket was an awesome adventure full of teh foodz. "goodies, chocolate & red wine!" that was my diet. chocolate & red wine. not much more you need. Caramel Dove, brownies, black chocolate Bounties, After Eight, Toblerone, Merci & a whole lot of Pinot rouge. or a sixpack of Heineken. not to mention deep frozen pizzas. then I had to lay off all, because I was growing out of proportion. *giggles* I swear, guys have it easy. their metabolism is something I'd like to have.

Betty
11-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Hahaha... Bella... I was going to say something about "And you wonder where your college 15 came from" when I started reading about the chocolate.

I think mine came from too much beer and late night pizza. And rez food... chicken burgers 4 days/week.

I wish I could buy beer at the grocery store.

Offspring7
11-17-2005, 02:55 PM
i haven't personally experienced college life, but when ever we'd visit my sister, we'd look in her refrigerator and there was only milk and cereal. yes, cereal in the refrigerator because they ran out of room to put in on the shelves.

MegaLaDon
11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Once some mates and I ate two tins of those heinz beans and sausages with 12 rashers of bacon (diced... if you can cube bacon) mixed in. It practically filled the wok/pan (multi-purpose student brilliance).

And this was after my mate had had two full pans of pasta (to herself... and yes eaten straight out of that pan), and we'd all had an uber prawn stir-fry that I cooked.

Stoned? But smoking isn't allowed on campus.

Mota Boy
11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I wish I could buy beer at the grocery store.
You can't buy beer at grocery stores in Canada? When I visited my friend in Chicago, I discovered that you can purchase liquor at grocery stores there. It's divine.

JoY
11-17-2005, 04:57 PM
& in Amsterdam too, as we've very obviously noticed. ;D

Betty
11-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I know in Quebec you can but not in Ontario; however there's a Beer Store on every corner, or an LCBO (liquor store).

Basically the biggest problem is that you have to make all of your purchases before 9 PM, which is devastating in this day and age of 24 hour stores.