PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Rock From The Sun

The eccentric cat
11-17-2005, 11:04 PM
First thread ever, hopefully it won't be bad. I was wondering what are your thoughts on the show:
http://www.tv.com/3rd-rock-from-the-sun/show/181/summary.html?q=3rd+rock+from+the+sun

This is one of my favorite shows, i've always liked it better than the Simpsons. Unfortunately its been cancelled, yet Simpsons still live on, and its as sucky as ever. There were even great quotes from 3rd Rock:

Sally Solomon: Isn't there a place where people can have mindless sex with different partners?
Mary Albright: Yeah! It's called "the 70s."

[after finding out his father was "the Big Head"]
Dick Solomon: I don't know who I am anymore!
Harry Solomon: Well, your first name is Dick, and your last name is Head...

Tommy Solomon: Harry, I need you to drive me somewhere.
Harry Solomon: Nope.
Tommy Solomon: You know I outrank you.
Harry Solomon: Then, "No, sir!"

I'm planning on getting the DVD this December. So what are your thoughts on the show. And yes; I searched.

Vera
11-18-2005, 02:08 AM
It's so-and-so. Some episodes are really witty in their humor and therefore brilliantly clever AND funny, some descend to awful slapsticky humor that's just dreadful to watch.

I think it had as long of a run as it needed without going completely stale.

One of the better episodes was the one where the Solomons realize that everyone around them defines themselves with labels of ethnicity and cultural backround. So they try to fit into a certain group but then realize that people get offended if you call them what they essentially feel like they are. Like the scene where Nina is offended that Dick doesn't realize she's black, but then later the students in his class find it offensive that he points out their ethnicities and asks them more about it.

But yeah, it's sometimes great, sometimes not.

And it's a good thread, don't worry. You put more effort into than A LOT of people on these forums. :]

Izie
11-18-2005, 03:06 AM
I liked it a lot when I was a kid, then a bit less. Like Sanni said, some episodes were great, some weren't that great, but overall it was a good show.

I probably wouldn't watch it again though.

Back in Black
11-18-2005, 06:34 AM
I've never seen that show.

DoctorPepper
11-18-2005, 06:44 AM
I think its one of those shows that's good for a while, but then gets old.

Italia311
11-18-2005, 06:45 AM
I Agree. I used to love that show! But then, it got boring. I couldn't stand to watch it anymore cause it was too much the same

Lars
11-18-2005, 07:42 AM
I used to watch it, then it changed times and possibly channels and never really caught any more. I saw an episode on recently, well by saw I didn't really watch it. No idea what channel it was on either.

Vera
11-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Yeah, the jokes got repetitive. It's like they couldn't find any more funny Earth phenomenons to cover. Shame.

Jebus
11-18-2005, 08:09 AM
I used to watch it all the time back when Fox showed reruns. I always found it hilarious but I never saw any of episodes around the ending. Now that you brung it up after all this time of not thinking about it, my itch for the show is coming back. I need to know what happened!

bd007h
11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
My favorite episode is when the two younger guys went to the Male enhancement clinic thinking it was going to make their whole body bigger.

Yatesy
11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
OMG!!! <3 That show was excelent, not seen it in ages though. :(

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
11-18-2005, 02:13 PM
It's a great TV series, now with the first two seasons on DVD. I believe it was cancelled because it was just too intelligent for the average audience. It revolves around 4 aliens who come to Earth to study human behavior.

Tijs
11-18-2005, 02:28 PM
I LOVE that show. Seriously. Dush send me a DVD with a load of episodes a while ago, I watched them all and re-watch them sometimes.