PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Music?

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Brace for a long, half rant post.

I've been thinking about this the past few days, after I went to a program called Coffee House at my school that is held once a semester. At Coffee House, student bands get to play in front of everyone who comes. To my count, there were three (out of about 20+) songs played that have been written in the past 15 years. Now, the point of my post.

Where is music headed? A vast majority of the rock fans out there like old bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. So is the future going to be more of that music plus a couple new technological techniques? Possibly, but maybe not, or maybe just the rock side. Metal has also become more mainstream recently, but most of the bands are unmelodic and unoriginal, such as Slipknot and Mudvayne. The most popular genre at the moment is, of course, rap and hip hop. I'm already amazed that they still are coming up with slightly unique sounds, but it can't last forever. What happens when everyone realizes that 95% of the Slipknot and Mudvayne type music is monotonous and repetitive garbage, and that there are no more original beats for rap and hip hop? What happens when there's no more additions we can add to classic rock?

I guess the main point of this thread is to tell everyone to branch out. Try and accept new music. Maybe even note ways songs you like or think are okay could be better. The future needs music just as much as we do now, but at this rate it won't be around, or atleast original, for very long.

0r4ng3
11-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My motto is "if the music you like isn't already out there, it will be eventually".

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Music build on other music though. We're losing music to build on, is my point.

Sinister
11-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm willing to bet a genius will appear within the next decade and create a whole new style. then that style will be overused and wasted, then a new genius will come up with something new, and so on. Creativity is endless.

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 04:24 PM
A new style of music has never been completely invented by scratch, though. The Blues were probably the closest, but that was just a subliminal consensus and still had roots.

Sinister
11-22-2005, 04:25 PM
well I mean something new will spring from something that already exists, and it'll create a new genre, which will create sub-genres, and it'll go on for a while.

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 04:28 PM
You didn't read my whole post. Half of the rock listened to now is old rock coming back, which has already branched out.

Sinister
11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
You didn't read my whole post. Half of the rock listened to now is old rock coming back, which has already branched out.

well, every form of art has its classics, right ?

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Are you just unable to comprehend? If the classics come out, that have already branched, what then?

Sinister
11-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Are you just unable to comprehend? If the classics come out, that have already branched, what then?

I'm trying my best to explain my point, fuckdammit.

dalaksta
11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
i just hope metal gets even louder and not too many shitty bands are created

without shitty bands, whats to make fun of?

coke_a_holic
11-22-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't know about music, but in rock, I think all the indie/alternative/pop-punk is going to lead us back into synth-pop. That's just a theory, but judging from all the keyboards getting thrown in today, I think they'll become centerpieces of many bands.

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 06:29 PM
back into synth-pop.

So you're saying that music's going to start going around in circles?

0r4ng3
11-22-2005, 06:30 PM
It's already started, hasn't it? I mean, if history repeats itself, why can't music?

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Who said history repeated its self? And even if it does, the chaning times make it different, where as music will eventually run out of places to go if nothing new happens.

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 06:41 PM
As a side note, this thread was just as much a message (read the last sentence of the first post) as much as a topic of discussion.

barangatang
11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I see your point but I'm sure that new genres will always sprout up. I mean it's not like music is just going to "stop"

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
I know it won't stop, I just want to have some original good music in the future.

Jebus
11-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Maybe bands in the future will stop playing traditional western music? You know, like using notes outside the 12 notes we use today. The combinations would be endless.

All About Eve
11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Maybe bands in the future will stop playing traditional western music? You know, like using notes outside the 12 notes we use today. The combinations would be endless.

Don't be a smartass, you know what I mean.

Jebus
11-22-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm not trying to be a smartass. It's a totally possible but not likely.
Btw, what do you mean by "new technological techniques?"

I doubt we will run out of original music. Look at painting, sculpture, and architecture as examples. Those art forms have been here for thousands of years but they still seem to be evolving.

Yatesy
11-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Music will go where ever it goes, is there any real point in worrying about it? Bands will play whatever they want to play and hey if you like it good for you, if you don't just stick to old music.

Piedude
11-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Bah, "If Theres a sound you play, that doesnt fit today, why not just play the bastard anyway?" - Ginger Wildheart

Theres plenty of new and different rock styles out there, its just nothing record companies are going to want to risk revealing to the masses while they can safe bet releasing indie/emo/whatever after indie/emo/whatever. Same as always.

The Darkness have done a pretty good job of grabbing the older styles of rock and getting big on the basis that its going to be more enjoyable music that the endless complaining of nu-metal/emo...

Endymion
11-23-2005, 12:22 PM
you're pathetic. some of us listen to avant etc. most of the music i listen to was created within the past five years and nothing like it existed prior.

pretty fly 88
11-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Music will just evolve into whatever teenagers like and listen too. Teenagers have the most influence on music. They have the most time to listen to it, and they get the most CDs., so whatever teenagers tend to like, bands will try to make music that's to their likes. Music used to be quieter than it is today, it was songs that may not hit you right away, but the more you listen to them, the more they will grow on you. Now, in the age of teenage angst,
songs have to hit teenagers immediately, or else they will never appreciate them, so bands are trying to come out with songs that will do just that. For example, U2 used to be a quiet band, trying to make songs that are just beautiful and artistic, not immediate hits. But then they came out with "Vertigo," a song that's not artistic, but loud and fast, and teenagers
dug it. That's what most bands are trying to do today.