PDA

View Full Version : Education or comfort?

Bacterium
11-24-2005, 02:11 PM
what do you all think about my school?

there's three social studies classes, and all three classes has recently got their own classroom. Now the school has paid for three bookshelves, three dvd:s, three stereos, (one for each class), they have paid for painting of the walls, and some other christmas decorations, pictures, notice boards and stuff.
now to the point:
the other day one of my teacher said that school doesn't have enough money to afford all books and stuff that is needed for our education. what the fuck. we said "right, the stereo was better required", and they don't even care.

So now we sit in our classroom in the lounge suit with some kinda twinkling light wreath, and the school is to poor to educate us.

are your schools this fucked up?

the_GoDdEsS
11-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Our schools used to be fucked up like that. Well, post-regime.

Where I teach now they have money shining out of their arses but us teachers have to buy white board markers for our own money. Which is kinda fucked up.

Oh and you don't really need school books. I can do magic lessons without school books. It just requires talent and creativity from the side of the teacher. And it is more time-consuming, of course.

Nirushika6789
11-24-2005, 02:32 PM
My school (http://www.stpatricksacademy.org.uk/) has plenty of money but they dont spend it to help to students at all..

they buy all this fucking crap for the teachers lounge... extensions to make it bigger , water dispensers , extra heating... EVERYTHING

but of course the classrooms which we are in are not heated as much as the teachers lounge is... we sit freezing while they are warm...

also they spend money on Dance studios and fitness suites

WTF!?...how about fucking heating the buildings before someone freezes to death...

I swear my school only thinks of the teachers and the grades that comes out of the school

The Talking Pie
11-24-2005, 02:33 PM
My old school has a giant Santa in the student common room. And loads of fake trees. And they get money from the government to spend on bettering their sports reputation. But no worries, because the tables and chairs in the maths block will last for at least another twenty years, they were put there in the fifties, after all, back when things were made to last.

Italia311
11-24-2005, 02:42 PM
What goddess said, is the same here when I was in elementary school...

Once, we wanted to have arts class and we couldn't because there was no paper or glue to do it with...It was a sad day....

@Goddess: thats pretty cool you're a teacher. What do you teach?

I wouldn't mind teaching..

Bacterium
11-25-2005, 01:28 AM
WTF!?...how about fucking heating the buildings before someone freezes to death...

A problem in my school too. They can't afford to fix the heat system or something, though there's been complaints about for tons of years. My locker is really close to the entrance, and that doors is fucking broken and remains open for hours when someone has pushed the door opener button. And it isn't fun when it's almost winter outside...

lost_nvrfound
11-25-2005, 01:43 AM
At my school, I go to one of the rich kid school though i am not a rich kid, they put tons of money into the athletic department... and that's it. Budget cuts left and right from the fine arts department, though, thankfully, the drama department pays for itself with the profits from our shows and such. Chorus, band, and orchestra have suffered immensly from the cuts because it is harder to get people to go to their shows, because, well, lets face it, its just not as interesting to most people. Art has really suffered too, and thats such a popular set of classes. I'm up to Art 4. I hate this fucking area. The stupid-assed bible belt of the U.S., where christianity runs rampant and creativity is frowned upon.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-25-2005, 01:45 AM
I went to a grammar school so they spend loads of money on the students, we had the latest PCs and the nicest chairs :D

Bacterium
11-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I went to a grammar school so they spend loads of money on the students, we had the latest PCs and the nicest chairs :D

yeah that's great, and I like my classroom like it is now with all new stuff, but when the school doesn't have enough money, like my school, I think they'd better invest in something more nessecery than a damn shelf and flowers.
really, that's their problem though, I'm out of here after springterm.. But if they wanna have a chance to keep up the school, they should really start think about what a school really needs.

wheelchairman
11-25-2005, 01:57 AM
I would've gone with comfort. Learning for me usually happens outside the classroom anyways. And when it does happen in the classroom, it's not with the aid of a book.

Bacterium
11-25-2005, 02:02 AM
I would've gone with comfort. Learning for me usually happens outside the classroom anyways. And when it does happen in the classroom, it's not with the aid of a book.

yeah.. Isn't it great when we're helping to make the the gulf between developed and developing countries even bigger? I kinda meant it as a fact; do we need more Cd-players, couches and stuff that we already have at home?
at the same time, sure sweden is a pretty rich country, but we just don't need it. i would better have an education, so I can get a job or something. and that's a fact: you need education if you're gonna get somewhere.

the_offsprings_monkey
11-25-2005, 02:04 AM
I spent a lot of time learning at the local cafe with my friends, it's just great to sit back listening to the jukebox with a cup of coffee and a book in hand. :rolleyes:

wheelchairman
11-25-2005, 02:06 AM
yeah.. Isn't it great when we're helping to make the the gulf between developed and developing countries even bigger? I kinda meant it as a fact; do we need more Cd-players, couches and stuff that we already have at home?
at the same time, sure sweden is a pretty rich country, but we just don't need it. i would better have an education, so I can get a job or something. and that's a fact: you need education if you're gonna get somewhere.
How does that increase the gulf? Don't you think things like 3rd world debt, and the historio-economic differences of those areas?

And no, you don't need an education to get anywhere. High school is completely irrelevant. Either way, since when was getting some lame job a goal in and of itself?

Vera
11-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Everytime my school bought something for comfort (sofas & tables in the hall), some assfucks would ruin it with their shitty tags and cut them with knives and shit so they got removed.

I support grafitis but INSIDE, on school property for around 400 people to see your art instead of thousands to see it on the streets? NO, you dumb fucks, NO.

Rocky-girl
11-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Earlier, I thought that only my school is so BAD. But now when I've read this thread I see that it is all over the world. All over the world they take our money and put it in their pockets. In this year I've 2 times gave money to them to buy new desks for my class. But there are no new desks in my class. Interesting, isn't it? But I'm glad, because it is the latest year in school.

Bacterium
11-25-2005, 03:19 AM
How does that increase the gulf? Don't you think things like 3rd world debt, and the historio-economic differences of those areas?

And no, you don't need an education to get anywhere. High school is completely irrelevant. Either way, since when was getting some lame job a goal in and of itself?

it's always a beginning to widen the gulf to do something like my school has. I don't mean it directly affects the third world, but in some kinda way it's gonna. why couldn't those money been given to someone who does actually need it, instead of spending them on worthless things?

yes, I would still say that an eduction is needed if you want to get a job. and I don't mean a job like a sitting in the emart, I mean the job where you need your education. of course, if someone doesn't want a good job, it's up to them, but for those who wants to become like lawyers, teachers, and all the jobs that is needed for the world to go round, then you need your education.
But still, not really the education. you need your grades, and then you're able to study a subject that is related to the job you want, and you get your job. really you don't need to ever learn anything, you only need to do the tests and exams.

Italia311
11-25-2005, 08:07 AM
You know what needs to happen in schools?

Beating the kids.

oFfspriNg_g
11-25-2005, 10:02 AM
My school (http://www.selcukanadolu.k12.tr/) is an Anatolian high school and if you're an Anatolian high school student, you must to learn more difficult lesson from another high school student so it is totally bad!! I want a bich comfort !!

the_GoDdEsS
11-25-2005, 10:04 AM
@Goddess: thats pretty cool you're a teacher. What do you teach?

I wouldn't mind teaching..

It's not always cool to be a teacher. My favourite answer is "it depends". And I never wanted to do this. But it's a form of control so it can feel good. English language and German language.

the_GoDdEsS
11-25-2005, 10:05 AM
You know what needs to happen in schools?

Beating the kids.

Omfg, that was brilliant. I can't help but agree.

Preocupado
11-25-2005, 11:43 AM
oh i preffer the comfort too.

The thursday class happens at the group therapy room, so we get these excelent smooth, soft, comfy velvet armchairs and the discussion just flows so well.

shnooble
11-25-2005, 11:50 AM

I go to a grammar school, and loads of the chairs are broken, so they blame is for weakening the legs!

The space bars on most of the computers don't work properly so you have to go back through your work to add spaces.

And for some reason, they put the computers under the desks so we have to lean over and look through a screen.

And one of the teachers doesn't warm up properly for pe. I wouldn't care normally but I did when i couldn't move my arms because they ached so bad :mad:

One of the teachers is convinced that my name is Amy when I've told him that it isn't.

Human
11-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Nope...not really...but it sucks when education and discipline is the only thing they thik about.

China Boy
11-25-2005, 01:16 PM
My school is not fucked up. The students are though.

Italia311
11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Omfg, that was brilliant. I can't help but agree.

Hahahaha...I'm serious.

Sometimes I'm on the bus to class and the High School kids get on. Oh geez. Degenerates, I swear. I don't think I ever acted like that when I was a kid. So mouthy.

Anyways, Language studies is cool. One thing I would like to do is move back to Italy to teach English (among other things). Good times.

Tired_Of_You
11-25-2005, 03:29 PM
I wish we had couches. I don't really have stories to share with all of you. My high school was too poor to buy anything and my college is okay. Still no couches, though.

the_GoDdEsS
11-25-2005, 03:29 PM
And I'm glad you are serious because I actually think it's necessary with some of the brats. Kids can be awesome to teach but at the same time very, very annoying. Adults are easily managable when it comes to discipline.

Have you been teaching English before? Or anything else?

Italia311
11-25-2005, 08:45 PM
I have never taught english. The closest thing to teaching I have ever experienced was when I was a personal tutor for someone who had cerebral palsy. They needed someone to help them with their math and reading, and I would tutor the person for 3 hrs every day. Good times...

I want to get my teachers certification. I would really like to teach in Italy...