PDA

View Full Version : Mixed bands

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay, so the title may not have been too descriptive. Recently I discovered a band named Ayreon in the progressive metal genre. This band is comprised of different members from different bands, and often they switch out from song to song. A lot of the songs are great, although some not so much. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard any other mixed bands of this sort, as they are often fun to listen to.

nieh
11-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Secret Chiefs 3. Trey Spruance's (the guitarist from Mr. Bungle) other band. They're pretty good and have gotten more and more serious since they started. They sound very soundtrack-ish and tend to write more Middle Eastern sounding songs. Their last album (Book of Horizons) had 6 different sub-bands with the only consistent member being Trey (and a few of them shared the same drummer).

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks, I'll try to find some by them.

Jebus
11-28-2005, 08:03 PM
AAE, do mind uploading some Ayreon mp3s? I've never heard of the band.

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I can only upload two at the time, one I got from their myspace (their only song on there) and another my friend sent me as I do not have the cd yet and just heard it through him, but they're both excellent.

barangatang
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
They sound very soundtrack-ish and tend to write more Middle Eastern sounding songs.
Middle eastern? Fucking awesome. Could you please be a darling and upload some of their stuff for me, preferably the more middle eastern sounding songs. Thanks.

One mixed band that I know of are called Eyes adrift. They are made up of krist novelsic (former nirvana bassiest), Curt kirkwood (former lead singer of the meat puppets), And sublimes former drummer( shit, I forgot his name ). They actually aren't that good.

nieh
11-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Wait...by mixed bands did you mean bands with shifting line-ups? Or do you mean "Super groups" where everyone in the band is from another band?

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Sail Away to Avalon (http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3P97XAOVVDNV5050N8OJQ7Y2GY ) (very catchy, I'm not sure if it has a few brass instruments or a whole section yet)

Dawn of a Million Souls (http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0F8FB6BCNMNZJ1M1EM6A7ZHXRE ) (Symphony X vocalist and guitarist, verses aren't anything spectacular but I love the chorus)

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Wait...by mixed bands did you mean bands with shifting line-ups? Or do you mean "Super groups" where everyone in the band is from another band?

Either is fine, Ayreon is a mix of both.

barangatang
11-28-2005, 08:12 PM

I'm pretty sure he meant more "mixed" bands, I didn't know any so I mentioned eyes adrift.

bd007h
11-28-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant more "mixed" bands, I didn't know any so I mentioned eyes adrift.

wasn't that one of Krist Novoselic's bands?

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 08:22 PM
wasn't that one of Krist Novoselic's bands?

As he mentioned before, yes.

bd007h
11-28-2005, 08:25 PM
As he mentioned before, yes.

sorry, I didn't read the whole thread

nieh
11-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Either is fine, Ayreon is a mix of both.

So are the Secret Chiefs. Pretty much everyone that plays on their last album is from another band, I just don't remember any of the other bands.

Super-groups with permanent lineups

Fantomas:
Mike Patton from Faith no More and Mr. Bungle on vocals
Trey Spruance from Mr. Bungle on bass
Buzz Osbourn/King Buzzo from the Melvins on guitar
Dave Lombardo from Slayer on drums

Tomahawk:
Mike Patton on vocals (yes, again)
Kevin Rutmanis from the Cows and Melvins on bass
John Stanier from Helmet on drums
Duane Denison from the Jesus Lizard on guitar

Minus the Bear (I don't remember their individual member's names):
The singer from Sharks keep Moving
The guitarist from Botch
the bass player and drummer from Kill Sadie

Colonol Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains:
Les Claypool from Primus and Oysterhead on bass/vocals
Buckethead on Guitar
Bernie Worrell from P-Funk and I think the Talking Heads on keyboard
Brain from Primus, Praxis (a previous band with Buckethead) and a few other bands that I don't know the names of

Maritime:
The bass player from the Dismemberment Plan and a couple folks from the Promise Ring, and I think one other guy from some other band that I can't remember.

Foo Fighters are a bit of a super-group what with having former members from Nirvana and Sunny Day Real Estate, but they're not a full super-group.

bd007h
11-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Queens Of The Stone Age used to do a lot of lineup changes.

barangatang
11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
the Secret Chiefs.

Ahem.
Could you please be a darling and upload some of their stuff for me, preferably the more middle eastern sounding songs. Thanks.

][}{]{][}[}

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Ahem.

][}{]{][}[}

Don't be a bitch.

nieh
11-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Middle eastern? Fucking awesome. Could you please be a darling and upload some of their stuff for me, preferably the more middle eastern sounding songs. Thanks.

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1URJ70FXM8FP62CQXMNQDR6PM5

barangatang
11-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Thank you. sorry for being a little bitchy about it.

nieh
11-28-2005, 08:54 PM
You SHOULD be. *glare*

Jebus
11-28-2005, 09:00 PM
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1URJ70FXM8FP62CQXMNQDR6PM5
your silly eastern-wanabe american band is no match for Shakti =p
http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RLZRI1178T0I0AFKGQ4OV6RBH

All About Eve
11-28-2005, 09:40 PM
How did you like Ayreon?

Jebus
11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
oh sorry, I knew I forgot to do something. I'll tell you in a few minutes when I'm done listening to them.

pretty fly 88
11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
The only 2 mixed bands I know of are bands you've probably heard of: Audioslave and Velvet Revolver. But if you're not sick of them, you should get any CD by them, particularly Velvet Revolver's.

All About Eve
11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Bumped for Jebus who keeps forgetting :( .

nieh
11-29-2005, 08:29 PM
The only 2 mixed bands I know of are bands you've probably heard of: Audioslave and Velvet Revolver. But if you're not sick of them, you should get any CD by them, particularly Velvet Revolver's.

No, I think he was asking about GOOD bands.

All About Eve
11-29-2005, 08:30 PM

I never liked them to begin with. As Nieh said, I was wondering about good bands.

Jebus
11-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Bumped for Jebus who keeps forgetting :( .
lolz, I still haven't listend to them.

Jebus
12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
mind uploading them again? I can't seem to find them.

Btw, do you listen to like Shadow Gallery, Cynic, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Andromeda, and Spastic Ink?

All About Eve
12-07-2005, 06:48 PM
mind uploading them again? I can't seem to find them.

Btw, do you listen to like Shadow Gallery, Cynic, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Andromeda, and Spastic Ink?

I've heard Shadow Gallery's clips, and they're wonderful. Room V is a major priority for me.

Edit: oh yeah, I'm updating them at the moment.

All About Eve
12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Dawn of a Million Souls (http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TT19B6NUQZ0M1WYUNH91B1Y9Y )

Sail Away to Avalon (http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DG28QPOS6B3Z2LY7NQ4DZJ435 )

Note: the person who sent me Dawn of a Million Souls' computer didn't read it for some reason, so it will just show up as track 2.

Jebus
12-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I discovered those bands yesterday, and i've been downloding their music since then. Seriously, it's some of the best prog metal I've heard since Dream Theater. I'm all giddy inside because it's been a while since I've heard a new bands that I like. I'm still waiting for a certin user to get back on soulseek so I could finish downloading Room V. I'm going to upload a bunch of these albums for another forum I visit to sometime this week. If you want, I'll send you the links.

All About Eve
12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
That would be awesome. Fellatio awesome if you so desire.

Jebus
12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Fellatio indeed. Heh, I just realized I downloaded a gig worth of music yesterday and there's so much I haven't listened to yet. It sudenly it feels like christmas again.