PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance, and accidents.

clokey43
11-29-2005, 08:10 AM
So, I was driving to the train station this morning and thought, I need some fuel. I indicated right and pulled in to the slip lane, I looked left, no cars, so I pulled out. I was almost in the petrol station and some stupid cow hit my back end. I now not only have a dent in the wheel arch but I also now have to face a rise in my insurance cover. As the accident wasn't my fault, I feel extremly pissed off about this. No claims bonus out the window.

Just to make a point to the thread, because it isn't a random rant, how do you think I should go about this, should I just accept it and pay the rise, or should I fight it and see if I win (which would mean no rise in my insurance).

Endymion
11-29-2005, 08:14 AM
if you got hit making a turn across traffic, aren't you at fault?

clokey43
11-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Well see thats what I thought, and is probably right in the rules of the road etc. However, as I said, I looked and there wasn't a car, turned, was almost where I wanted to be and bang. I can't see how this was my fault.

Endymion
11-29-2005, 08:23 AM
my brother got hit at night making a turn across traffic because the other guy was driving without lights on and possibly drunk. it was still a turn across traffic so he was found at fault.

clokey43
11-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Oh, so whatever, my fault then? This is what i pay 1200 a year for? Oh well, spose the answer to my question is to just accept it and pay the rise then. It will be almost 1500 now. More overtime for me then.........

Preocupado
11-29-2005, 08:26 AM
did you and the cow came to an agreement about who's fault was it?

clokey43
11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
did you and the cow came to an agreement about who's fault was it?

Lol, no, we exchanged names and insurance details, her exact words were 'I didn't know you were going to turn', hello I was turning already!

Preocupado
11-29-2005, 08:35 AM
oh, it's easier if you and the other part agree on who's fault it is before the police arrives to register the accident. That way, if one of the parts doesn't have insurance, the both of you can use the insurance company to make it easier on both.

i.e. if the fault is youres, the other part activates the insurance and you pay for his franchise. If the other part isn't aware about losing it's bonus, you got yourself a good deal.

JoY
11-29-2005, 08:37 AM
my brother got hit at night making a turn across traffic because the other guy was driving without lights on and possibly drunk. it was still a turn across traffic so he was found at fault.
pfft, rediculous. that's certainly not how traffic works here. it IS true, however, that straight ahead goes before turning right/left. except when trafficlights/signs say otherwise, of course. but either way, the dude without lights & a glass too many should've been arrested/given a ticket/whatever.

Preocupado
11-29-2005, 08:41 AM
it would be better if Endymion's brother smashed the car's rear (the one with the lights off)

clokey43
11-29-2005, 08:52 AM
oh, it's easier if you and the other part agree on who's fault it is before the police arrives to register the accident. That way, if one of the parts doesn't have insurance, the both of you can use the insurance company to make it easier on both.

i.e. if the fault is youres, the other part activates the insurance and you pay for his franchise. If the other part isn't aware about losing it's bonus, you got yourself a good deal.

Police weren't called as it wasn't serious. I wasn't sure of how to go about things I have only been driving 4 weeks but the lady was about 40 so I reconed she knew what she was doing. My mum (thank god for mum's) is going to sort everything for me though, she is going to ring her tonight.