PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players, a biographical and chronological story

wheelchairman
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
This is the story of how I've been able to go through 4 mp3 players in exactly a year or so.

It all started back last year, around my birthday. I recieved a sum of money to be an mp3 player. So I bought a Creative MUVO with 256 MB for about 700 DKK (about 110 US dollars/90 Euros.) This made me happy for about 3 months, to the month of November. Where I took a trip across Denmark to a city called Esbjerg. It was a reunion of people I had met in Belarus.

Anyways I got drunk on paper glasses of wine at an extremely boring high school party and lost it. Fortunately a "friend" of mine who organized the event knew the person who found it. And promised to mail it to me. This however, never happend. I waited quite a long time. And by mid january I bought one of those cheap CD players to keep my ears humming.

Anyways it must've been around February or March that I bought another MP3 player, same brand, same model, and it was either 256 or 512 mb, I don't really remember. It too brought joy into my heart. And I got it cheaper than the one I had bought previously I think.

In June I bought myself a Creative Zen Micro with 6 GB because I really don't have any self-control. Paid way too much money for it. Anyways after buying that I gave my then current mp3 player to the girl I was dating at the time. And amused myself immensely with this machine. However by August of next year I had dropped it enough times that the display no longer worked, however it still played music so I was satisfied. Then the final blow came when I dropped it in September and it stopped working entirely. Apparently the hard drive does not work.

So just recently I bought another one, exactly the same as the one I had bought a year ago, but for about half the price.

*sigh*

ninthlayer
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
I bought a Zen Micro about a month ago (I remember you having yours in Chicago and it had, like, EVERY Offspring track ever recorded. FAGATRON!), but I also purchased the Best Buy two year warranty for it ($30, but with the purchase of the Micro I got a $25 gift certificate which I used to pay for the warranty). If I still have this thing in 23 months I'm dropkicking it and getting a new one FOR FREE(ish).

Warranties. Love them.

wheelchairman
11-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes. I learned a very valuable lesson about them. :(

But I'm just a poor student. However the Danish marketing act allows for return of items up to 2 years after purchase if you can prove it was defect. Not applicable to me though. :/

ninthlayer
11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm poorer than you, but I utilize student loans.

Statesside?

wheelchairman
11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
In February. But nowhere near the midwest this time. :/

ninthlayer
11-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Too bad my family that wants me to come visit them lives in Washington instead of Oregon. Cascadia?

wheelchairman
11-30-2005, 03:21 PM
So homos. I'll be in North Oregon though. So if you're in south washington, there could be definite anal leakage.

ninthlayer
11-30-2005, 03:29 PM
I like how the only reason I'd consider taking my family up on their offer is so I could hang out with a homo. Bring Tizz and make it a spitroast?

wheelchairman
11-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Family is not bought a means for homo-heart-breaking.

Tizz ain't coming this time. This is work for me. :(

Offspring7
11-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Whats the difference between 256MB and 512MB? I know one has larger memory, but I mean, how many songs approximately would the 256MB get you?

WebDudette
11-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Half as many as a 512MB.

It just depends on the size of the songs.

Offspring7
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
ok say like 3-4 minute songs. How many could I get on there?

Endymion
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
50-100, depending on quality.

lolz, whereas my ipod, which has 3100 songs on it right now, is less than 1/4 full. that's six full days of music.

WebDudette
11-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I can get 115ish on my 512 but I have Opeth songs that equal 4 or 5 3-4 minute songs.

Offspring7
11-30-2005, 05:48 PM
whats 512 get me?

Endymion
11-30-2005, 05:55 PM
oops, sorry, i mean it's 50-100 songs on a 512, half that on a 256. mp3s are about 1meg per minute low end (128bit), 2meg / minute for higher end (256bit), so between 500 and 250 minutes on a 512 meg player. so at ~5 minutes per song, it's 50 - 100 songs. on a 256 that would be 25-50.

arak0r
11-30-2005, 07:53 PM
i actually just got the zen touch for about 184$ (special extra 10% discount from wallyworld) its so much better than i thought itd be. ive held out from buying one cause i didnt really want to make my large cd collection obsolete, and i didnt think a 20 gig mp3 player would hold enough music. boy was i wrong. easily fit pretty much everything i wanted to put on there. good sound quality as well.

Offspring7
11-30-2005, 07:56 PM
oops, sorry, i mean it's 50-100 songs on a 512, half that on a 256. mp3s are about 1meg per minute low end (128bit), 2meg / minute for higher end (256bit), so between 500 and 250 minutes on a 512 meg player. so at ~5 minutes per song, it's 50 - 100 songs. on a 256 that would be 25-50.

I think I'm just going to look into Costco and hope the species of the Ipod mini is still alive.

ruf
11-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Whats the difference between 256MB and 512MB? I know one has larger memory, but I mean, how many songs approximately would the 256MB get you?
use this:
100MB u need for 20 good songs(approx)
256 for 50 song
512 for 100 song...
please don't buy players with less than 1 GB.

WebDudette
11-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Mine takes SD card's I have one 512 card one 256 card and the MP3 played has 112.

ruf
11-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Mine takes SD card's I have one 512 card one 256 card and the MP3 played has 112.
i love those expandable-players, they are not expensive and you can have different collections on each SD card.problem is they are very rare.
Have u seen the 2GB SD card?

Tizzalicious
11-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Mine kinda stopped working sometime ago, the sound got all weird, but now it's fine again. Really strange. I bet it'll fuck up again once the warranty (sp?) runs out.

and ruf: not everyone has money to buy one with a lot of memory.

arak0r
11-30-2005, 10:18 PM
http://images.americas.creative.com/images/products/galleries/gal10274_full_1.jpg

unf unf unf. that is all.

ruf
11-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Mine kinda stopped working sometime ago, the sound got all weird, but now it's fine again. Really strange. I bet it'll fuck up again once the warranty (sp?) runs out.

and ruf: not everyone has money to buy one with a lot of memory.
try to find the expandables, they come with either 128 or 256 MBs and later you can buy the memory card.
players from creative have the best sound; then ipod, iriver, sony and samsung.
i dont know about the toshibas they look sharp(not the brand) and since it is toshiba it cant be bad.
and join my forum.

ruf
11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
http://images.americas.creative.com/images/products/galleries/gal10274_full_1.jpg

unf unf unf. that is all.
http://images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod14327_hdr_1_6_1.jpg
Lighter and better than ever before. The popular ZEN NEEON series is now available in lighter flash drive models of 512MB, 1GB and 2GB, with a dazzling duo-tone OLED screen that lights your music in bold blue and yellow.
With a longer battery life of up to 32 hours, ZEN NEEON takes you from morning to night, and to morning again. Put a face to your music with the latest range of Creative Stik-Ons :-- designed to give your player a personality.

wheelchairman
12-01-2005, 05:54 AM
RUF, I seriously despise those who claim there are differences between the brands. You would never ever know the difference.

Joey, I would give you kisses on the cheek for not going iPod, and for still getting such a sexy machine. Congrats.

Endy, you disappoint me.

whoever likes Opeth, you disgust me.

I am satisfied with mp3 players in the 256/512 mb range because I can sing along to all the song this way.

If you have creative, then make your songs into wma. It'll make them smaller and then you can hold more songs.

Idiot
12-01-2005, 06:11 AM
I've never really liked iPods. I thought I'd give one a try a few months ago, and I bought an iPod mini - yes the sound quality was excellent, but the battery life was dire. Battery life is quite important to me.

A couple of months ago, I bought a Sony Bean, with 512mb. Thats enough memory for me, I usually squeeze about 120 songs on it. The sound quality is on par with the iPod, its much smaller, and on top of that, it has a WHOPPING 50 hour battery life. I don't know of any other brand that makes mp3 players with such a long battery life [there are other sony mp3 players that do though].
Since the first time I charged it from USB when I first got it, in the last week of September, I've only had to charge it once since then, meaning its only had 2 charges since I got it - I listen to it between 30 mins and 1 hour at a time, 5 or 6 days a week, and I like to listen to music loud.
Not only all that, but it was cheap - just 80 [ About $138 US ]

From Sony Website (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=NWE307BLACK&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_flashMemory)

And......[I've got a white one]

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/MoreImages/NWE307BLACK_3.jpghttp://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/MoreImages/NWE307BLACK_4.jpg

http://www.bumblesmp3players.co.uk/images/MP3%20Players/sony-%20200%20series.jpg

Yatesy
12-01-2005, 10:41 AM
My Phillips HDD 100 holds just over 2000 songs at the moment. I have more things to put on it, but the program I need to use isn't working for the moment. =\ Phillips suck.

arak0r
12-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Joey, I would give you kisses on the cheek for not going iPod, and for still getting such a sexy machine. Congrats.

If you have creative, then make your songs into wma. It'll make them smaller and then you can hold more songs.

thanks ;)

and i was seriously thinking of going and re-ripping all my cds to wma-lossless. far better compression and sound quality than mp3.

Izie
12-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I gots creative, and I likes. I also use the wma format, even though I have 1GB space which is more than enough for MY singing along :)

T-6005
12-01-2005, 11:05 AM
This thread is interesting. I'm a staunch supporter of CDs. I don't know why, I just love changing the CD and having albums perfectly mixed all the way through. Whenever I use an mp3 player or even my PC playlist, I listen to songs on Shuffle, which kind of ruins that. Still nice, but in a different way.

I'm out of batteries, though.

Vera
12-01-2005, 11:10 AM
I love cd's too, but the reason I got an iPod was because a lot of my favourite music (read: Bollywood music) I have as mp3's, not on cd's.

I've been messing with my iPod so much today, it's fucking exhausting, but I guess it's worth it, carrying 11 hours of music with you (I only had time to add that many cd's on my iPod mini). It just gives you a choice on what to listen to, I hate being stuck with a cd for a day that I have NO interest in listening to again.

T-6005
12-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah. I like my CD player when I'm out. In my room, I listen to my computer library on Shuffle. 179 hours of fun.

Plus I carry around my CD case as a matter of course. Never go anywhere without it.

Lars
12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
My ipod's just about given up now. If I'm lucky 1 time out of 20 restarts it'll start working otherwise the fucker will freeze on the boot, give it 2 hours or less and it'll drain the battery as the HD spins away freely. The hard drive in the fucker is almost dead and I'm not wasting money on another one of them, not worth it from my very minimal search on the net. I've now gone back to mini disc, heh not really my favorite but I know the batteries last longer and I'll not have to worry about it beeping away and not running, but sucks having so much fewer songs on it.

Flash mp3 next time. I am tempted by a Nano, but I still think they should retain at least a 24 hour battery life.

wheelchairman
12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't really care about hearing the entire cd anyways. I don't like every song etc.

But now when I put songs onto my mp3 player I put entire albums on.

Vera
12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Plus I carry around my CD case as a matter of course. Never go anywhere without it.
My cd case contains 20 slots but it's just not enough plus I feel awkward switching cd's when I'm on a tram or something.

Betty
12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I love my discman to death but I'd like an mp3 player for when I plan to listen to extended amounts of music at a time and it's a hassle to pack all my CDs into my case and bring it around. Also, I think it will be very good for running, which I am trying to take up consistently. Music makes it a lot more bearable, but running with a discman is quite awkward.

I'm scared about what I will do with all my CDs though? Will I just listen to them on my CD player? Will I use my discman sometimes? Not sure...

T-6005
12-01-2005, 12:36 PM
My cd case contains 20 slots but it's just not enough plus I feel awkward switching cd's when I'm on a tram or something.
Mine has 40, and those are all the ones I brought with me to uni. I need to switch over the break - my computer died, so I'm listening to all the same albums. Half of which aren't so great.

But yeah - switching CDs on a rush hour train in Tokyo is an exercise in acrobatics, I tell ya.

T-6005
12-01-2005, 12:38 PM
I love my discman to death but I'd like an mp3 player for when I plan to listen to extended amounts of music at a time and it's a hassle to pack all my CDs into my case and bring it around. Also, I think it will be very good for running, which I am trying to take up consistently. Music makes it a lot more bearable, but running with a discman is quite awkward.

I'm scared about what I will do with all my CDs though? Will I just listen to them on my CD player? Will I use my discman sometimes? Not sure...
Oh god - running with anything in my hand absolutely murders me. Of course, I haven't run seriously since May. I feel unbelievably unfit. It's hard. But although some people like music while running, I can't stand holding things or even strapping them to my arms... I find it hampers the smooth motion that running should be.

0r4ng3
12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I feel like such a corporate tool for having an iPod.

Betty
12-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Oh god - running with anything in my hand absolutely murders me. Of course, I haven't run seriously since May. I feel unbelievably unfit. It's hard. But although some people like music while running, I can't stand holding things or even strapping them to my arms... I find it hampers the smooth motion that running should be.

I agree. I hate running to begin with (but it's the best exercise I've found) and I really suck at it but I can only sorta do it with nothing awkward on me. I need proper shoes, decent clothes (preferably not pants/sweatshirt/etc), and nothing else cause it throws off the balance. But I think there is hope for a tiny mp3 player... I've never tried.

ruf
12-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah. I like my CD player when I'm out. In my room, I listen to my computer library on Shuffle. 179 hours of fun.

was this post posted in 2005? i do not know, CDs in 2005?
I associate the word CD with terodactils teerexs and tyranosuarus. :confused:

WebDudette
12-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Then you're a retard.

ruf
12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Then you're a retard.
come on dude, CD sounds so 90ish

nameless
12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
ive got a 2gb one, i dont see the pint in getting those cheap ones with hardly any memory to store things on!