PDA

View Full Version : Albums you never thought you'd end up loving.

Vera
12-01-2005, 09:24 AM
I was stupid when I was 13 and bought cd's on a whim. One of my purchases from those days was the Me, Myself & Irene soundtrack because it has the (reasonably good) AFI cover by the Offspring. I haven't even seen the movie in full, largely because what I've seen of it sucked ass, but I've regularly listened to the soundtrack and completely fallen head over heels for the Dan Steely covers it contains. Some of them I don't like all that much but most have become special favourites.

Do you have these kind of albums?

Belcherdude1992
12-01-2005, 09:34 AM
i didn't think i'd love the offspring: Greatest hits, that was only a couple of weeks ago, i love it now, i only listen to the offspring, gorillaz (only on my comp) and Nickleback (they're pretty good 'n all)

ruroken
12-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Fungus Amongus
S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Morning View
Nevermind
SUPERUNKNOWN

The Talking Pie
12-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Spawn of Dysfunction
Willenium
Nevermind

JohnnyNemesis
12-01-2005, 09:56 AM
There are so many times I listen to an album once, hate it, then listen to it again months later and absolutely love it. Some of my favorite albums ever went through that process:

Jimmie's Chicken Shack - Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope
The Game - The Documentary
Bad Religion - No Substance
System of a Down - Hypnotize
Orgy - Vapor Transmission

wheelchairman
12-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Usually, not always, but usually I dislike the albums I buy the first time I listen to them. Then the very next day I love them.

Piedude
12-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Jimmies Chicken Shack? Ive heard one of their songs, "Do Right", which someone has been changing the title of to "The Wildhearts - White Lies" (Which I was looking for), its a rather good song...
On a related note, White lies was a single b-side (cover i think) for a Wildhearts Album "Endless Nameless", which i didnt expect to like as on the first dozen or so listens it sounded all drowed in distortion and sounds like its been eaten alive....love it now though...

sk8ter-hater
12-01-2005, 10:13 AM
The Unraveling.

Yatesy
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Willenium

:eek: How could you think that you couldn't love that album!?! Anyway, when I first brought Guero by beck, I never thought I'd love it. In a way I only brought it so I could say I have Beck in my album collection. Then when I got in and listened to it, I was loving it and that is how I love Beck so much these days. lol Anyways other albums include Welcome To Hell by Venom and Better Than Raw by Helloween.

JohnnyNemesis
12-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Jimmies Chicken Shack? Ive heard one of their songs, "Do Right", which someone has been changing the title of to "The Wildhearts - White Lies" (Which I was looking for), its a rather good song...
On a related note, White lies was a single b-side (cover i think) for a Wildhearts Album "Endless Nameless", which i didnt expect to like as on the first dozen or so listens it sounded all drowed in distortion and sounds like its been eaten alive....love it now though...

I lost interest in them when they released that song "Do Right", because I thought it was so especially horrible.

The one I mentioned is their first album and I strongly recommend you and everyone check them out.

original_prankster
12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Bad Religion - Suffer

I like some of BR's older stuff, so I bought this today. I thought I'd get bored while listening to it, but I suprisingly never did.

dalaksta
12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
All the Right Reasons - Nickelback

I know, its strange, but I do.

notoriousdoc
12-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Hypnotize-SOAD

I hadn't liked Mezmerize much so I didn't expect much but now I love it

Nitro Monkey
12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Hmm... let's see:
"A Crow Left of the Murder" - Incubus
"Schmack!" - Steriogram
"Leave A Whisper" - Shinedown
"Probot" - Probot

0r4ng3
12-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Most of my Pennywise CDs, especially Land of the Free
The earlier Bad Religion stuff (before Generator), especially Suffer
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage

That's all I can think of, for now.

coke_a_holic
12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
When I was really HXC and only listened to really punk stuff like Offspring, Green Day, and Nirvana, I thought I wouldn't like Led Zeppelin's 3rd cd (or any of their music, for that matter). Little did I know that it would pretty much reform the music I listened to most.

pretty fly 88
12-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Social Distortion-Self-Titled

All About Eve
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
First one that comes to mind is an old Gob cd I don't have anymore, unfortunately. I hated Sing the Sorrow when I first got it because I thought AFI had ruined themselves, but now I love the vocals and mixed themes in it, even if the lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

dain84
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
When I was really HXC and only listened to really punk stuff like Offspring, Green Day, and Nirvana, I thought I wouldn't like Led Zeppelin's 3rd cd (or any of their music, for that matter). Little did I know that it would pretty much reform the music I listened to most.
You think The Offspring, Green Day, and Nirvana are really hardcore punk?

All About Eve
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
You think The Offspring, Green Day, and Nirvana are really hardcore punk?

Yeah, which is why he didn't think he'd like heavy metal like Led Zeppelin.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Gotta be Sonata Arctica- Ecliptica for me. I'm just not all that into metal, especially not Scandinavian snow-dragon-metal, but the combination of the entire band's talent and the fact that the guitar and keyboard parts weren't masturbatory like other bands in that genre just got me hooked.

WebDudette
12-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Depeche Mode-Violator
Bad Religion-Empire Strikes First
AFI-The Art of Drowing
System of a Down-Hypnotize (definetly better then Mezmerize)
Mars Volta-De-Loused In The Comatorium

All About Eve
12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Gotta be Sonata Arctica- Ecliptica for me. I'm just not all that into metal, especially not Scandinavian snow-dragon-metal, but the combination of the entire band's talent and the fact that the guitar and keyboard parts weren't masturbatory like other bands in that genre just got me hooked.

I will so felate you if you upload some songs off that, or better yet, let me get an msn name and you can send me the whole cd as .rar.

Vera
12-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Usually, not always, but usually I dislike the albums I buy the first time I listen to them. Then the very next day I love them.
I actually meant it like, "You thought the album would suck/be really unimpressive&mediocre before you listened to it."

Like, some people buy a new album by some band they've liked in the past and are sceptical about it, but end up liking it.

I think most of us go through the "didn't-like-it-the-first-time-heard-it"-process. I remember talking to Mota Boy about and he said it happened to him with every cd he bought. It happens with most cd's with me.

But no, I meant this topic to be about those cd's we have severe prejudice against prior to listening to it but then end up loving.

Swill
12-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Smashing Pumpkins
Adore
________
MACUMBA DICUSSION (http://www.religionboard.org/macumba/)

Lithuanian Offspring
12-02-2005, 06:12 AM
Bad Religion - Empire Strikes First
I put it on yesterday, and I actually started to like it.

Kerr
12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I find that everything is a major grower for me. I never like anything the first time, and if I do, I get bored of it VERY quickly. However, it is never the second time I listen to an album when I start loving it, it tends to be the fourth or fifth time, as I sometimes can't always distinguish between the songs very well. Albums I love and never thought I would include:

At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Blur - Park Life
Joe Satriani - The Extremist
Lostprophets - The Fake Sound of Progress
Rancid - Let's Go / ...And Out Come The Wolves
The Clash - London Calling
The White Stripes - Elephant

ruroken
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Hmm... let's see:
"A Crow Left of the Murder" - Incubus
"Schmack!" - Steriogram

Hell yeah !

Yatesy
12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Blur - Park Life

Oh yeah. :cool:

Jakebert
12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
R.E.M.- Automatic For The People.

This was back when I thought if it wasn't loud, it sucked. Then I realized how wrong I was.

original_prankster
12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Most of my Pennywise CDs, especially Land of the Free
The earlier Bad Religion stuff (before Generator), especially Suffer
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage

That's all I can think of, for now.
Land Of The Free is awesome. It's the only Pennywise CD I own at the moment. I never thought I'd love it as much as I do, either.

0r4ng3
12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
This works the other way, too. You like an album at first, but then start to dislike it. The biggest example is The New America by Bad Religion.

Vera
12-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Most often it happens so that you have great expectations for a record, think "Man, this album is gonna rule!" and then end up being really disappointed.

coke_a_holic
12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I forgot, Primus - Pork Soda was one, as well. Adriann reccomended me to buy it (couldn't say no to that), and I had heard some stuff before (I had been reccomended them by my orthodontist [wtf?], a few weeks prior to the purchase). I remembered hearing a song by them on the radio (most likely Jerry was a Race Car Driver, but possible Wynona) and just thinking "what the fuck is this?" But after I got PS, I was hooked, and they've become one of my favorite bands. They also helped me get past the whole "all music that isn't catchy is sux0rz" thing.

0r4ng3
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Most often it happens so that you have great expectations for a record, think "Man, this album is gonna rule!" and then end up being really disappointed.
Case and point: Getting Away With Murder. That CD has not left it's case since the first time I listened to it, a year ago.

original_prankster
12-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Avenged Sevenfold's first album is kind of an example of this. I really liked Waking The Fallen and City Of Evil, but Sounding The Seventh Trumpet is kinda boring. I absolutely loved it at first, but after a few listens, it started getting old. WTF and COE haven't gotten old yet, though, and I've played them alot.

Sweeet
12-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Ignition - Offspring
Frogstomp - Silverchair
Nevermind - Nirvana
Punk Rock Songs - Bad Religion
666 667 clubs - Noir Désir

There is so many cd's that I love...But these are my favourites :o

China Boy
12-03-2005, 04:18 PM
When I first got The Process Of Belief, I thought it was a waste of money. But I ended up liking it.

nameless
12-03-2005, 06:37 PM
ive never hated a band then ended up buying there album!

Jebus
12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
probably Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare

Drum Goddess
12-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Offspring-Splinter
Collective Soul-S/T
I have more that are the other way around. CD's I thought I would love but ended up hating.
MxPx-Panic!
Gwen Stefani-Love.Angle.Music.Baby

0r4ng3
12-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I have more that are the other way around. CD's I thought I would love but ended up hating.
MxPx-Panic!
Actually, Panic was the only MxPx album where I liked more than one song. The others annoy me.

Drum Goddess
12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Actually, Panic was the only MxPx album where I liked more than one song. The others annoy me.
I can't get into it. I don't know, maybe it's more poppy then the other ones.

0r4ng3
12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I can't get into it. I don't know, maybe it's more poppy then the other ones.
Woah, are you sure? I really doubt Panic is poppy. What other albums do you have?

killer_queen
12-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I thought it was a bad album when I first heard it and I was too small for deciding what is good music and what is bad music. So I grew up and I liked it, that's all.

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Woah, are you sure? I really doubt Panic is poppy. What other albums do you have?
I have Teenage Politics and Life In General.

Fwedewick
12-06-2005, 03:04 PM
The album I thought I'd hate but ended up loving is Metallica's Re-Load.I thought it'd be shit,but I'm now on my third copy cos I keep scratching with overuse.

Qoo
12-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Nevermind
At first, I didn't like it very much and I couldn't understand why the album had been sold well. A few years after, I listened to it again and digged in it very much.
Cheers. :)