PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey

Nina
12-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Can someone be kind enough to explain to me what's so amusing about making fun of NJ? The Bloodhound Gang do it constantly, and I've heard many other people doing it, I'd just like to understand it. Thanks :/

Vera
12-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't think these things really have proper reasons behind them. At least, whenever Finns mock certain Finns from some part of Finland, it usually comes down to "They talk funny." or something completely silly like that.

Endymion
12-04-2005, 09:18 AM
new jersey is the earth's asshole or something like that.

Nina
12-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Why?

>:E

nieh
12-04-2005, 09:20 AM
New Jersey is the most crowded state in the US. It earned the nickname "The armpit state" because it's hot and humid in the summer, coupled with the fact that (mostly in the north) there's a few cities/towns that smell really bad. Also mostly in the north, there's a lot of factories and pollution. People don't know how to drive and it gets worse as you get closer to Philly and NYC which are both directly across the water. The roads are terribly laid out which, coupled with the fact that we're the most crowded state in the country, makes traffic problems worse. We have Camden which is the most dangerous city in the country and I'm pretty sure Newark isn't that far behind. Despite having Camden and Newark, we don't have any REAL major cities, we have to mooch off Philly and NYC. It's not all bad though, it's just that we have such a noticeable amount of shit in such a small area.

Sin Studly
12-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Are you trying to tell me there aren't parts of Germany the Germans constantly make fun of?

Nina
12-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Hahaha, so NJ stinks?!

Nina
12-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Are you trying to tell me there aren't parts of Germany the Germans constantly make fun of?

Of course there are certain parts (especially the former DDR), but there are reasons behind it. And I couldnt think of a reason for NJ.

Endymion
12-04-2005, 09:28 AM
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1133671144326.jpg

nieh
12-04-2005, 09:31 AM
It's not that bad really though. The smells are confined to really small areas and I think are actually caused by dumps. Unfortunately one or two of those dumps are right off the turnpike, which is why so many people end up noticing it. Anyway, NJ has almost everything. It's the only place I've ever been to where you can go from the mountains to suburbia, to the city, to the ghetto, to farmland, to the woods, to the shore in about a 1 hour drive.

Preocupado
12-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I took a bus from NYC to Washington and what i mostly remember from NJ is asphalt, monstruous junk yards, smoke and those walls to contain CO2. I'm sure there must be better views and fresh air at the countryside, but i really hated what i saw.

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 09:42 AM
New Jersey is the most crowded state in the US. It earned the nickname "The armpit state" because it's hot and humid in the summer, coupled with the fact that (mostly in the north) there's a few cities/towns that smell really bad. Also mostly in the north, there's a lot of factories and pollution. People don't know how to drive and it gets worse as you get closer to Philly and NYC which are both directly across the water. The roads are terribly laid out which, coupled with the fact that we're the most crowded state in the country, makes traffic problems worse. We have Camden which is the most dangerous city in the country and I'm pretty sure Newark isn't that far behind. Despite having Camden and Newark, we don't have any REAL major cities, we have to mooch off Philly and NYC. It's not all bad though, it's just that we have such a noticeable amount of shit in such a small area.
Yeah I lived in NJ for awhile, and it was bad. Way to many people in one area for sure. Jersey drivers are the worst.

nieh
12-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I took a bus from NYC to Washington and what i mostly remember from NJ is asphalt, monstruous junk yards, smoke and those walls to contain CO2. I'm sure there must be better views and fresh air at the countryside, but i really hated what i saw.

You were on the turnpike, of course all you saw were the fucking highways. I could say the same kind of shit about half the states I've driven through, but I know there's more to them then that.

Preocupado
12-04-2005, 10:01 AM
yep. my friend stood there for six months and he told me about how he would wake up and see those american deers in the snow, throught his window.

that sure didn't match my memories, and that's why i know i didn't see the true NJ.

JohnnyNemesis
12-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm glad the NJ native explained it so I wouldn't have to. The place truly is a shithole for the most part.

Don't forget about the inferiority complex some of the people closer to NY have.

Rag Doll
12-04-2005, 04:18 PM
it depends where you go. like Josh said, if you're driving on the turnpike, you're only going to see shit like camden & newark. i mean, this is where my summer house is in NJ..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/tragicxromantic/cm2.jpg

um pritties? i think so.

there's always a joke that the shitty parts are along the turnpike/parkway so that's all non-residents see...it'll cause them to not want to come back. we don't need to be anymore goddamn crowded.

Linda
12-04-2005, 04:29 PM
For people in the U.S., this is quite interesting.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Baltimore is actually 2nd most dangerous now. Or at least thats what I have heard.

Linda
12-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Could be...that list is a year old already.

JohnnyNemesis
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I've always heard that Detroit truly tops the list, especially now.

Sunny
12-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Hahaha, so NJ stinks?!

you have no idea. i went to Jersey City to see Bright Eyes, and zomg. smells so bad.

i haven't seen much of Jersey otherwise.. some suburban/near-NYC parts and Newark.. so, can't really judge.

Rag Doll
12-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Jersey City is gross. All those big huge towns are guh-ross. Jersey City, Camden, Newark, Trenton, The Oranges, etc....I refuse to even go to concerts in Jersey City/Camden cause they're uckies =(

Linda
12-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Here's most dangerous states in 2005.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922223.html

Here you go. Camden is still the most dangerous city as of 11/20/05.

http://geography.about.com/b/a/221075.htm

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Yup as I thought, Baltimore is the 2nd most dangerous city.

coke_a_holic
12-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, my mom once decided to take the scenic route through Baltimore (her home town); I found myself checking the locks on our doors on quite a few occasions. It's not a nice place.

Linda
12-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Yup as I thought, Baltimore is the 2nd most dangerous city.

The most dangerous cities following Camden are Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Flint, Michigan and Richmond, Virginia.

Where do you get Baltimore out of that?

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 06:04 PM
CITIES OF 500,000 OR MORE POPULATION: (32 cities)

Most Dangerous 10:

Detroit, MI

Baltimore, MD

Washington, DC

Memphis, TN

Dallas, TX

Philadelphia, PA

Columbus, OH

Nashville, TN

Houston, TX

Charlotte, NC

Here. That's by population, but still.

Linda
12-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Not according to this. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Link please?

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Link please?
It's in one of your links.

Linda
12-04-2005, 06:37 PM
I looked there and couldn't find that.

Alec
12-04-2005, 06:40 PM
new jersey is the earth's asshole or something like that.
you're the Earths asshole.

Endymion
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
you're the Earths asshole.
my my, and what did i do to have such an honor bestowed upon me?

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Some of the people on this board say they most random things. The Aquabats are great.

Drum Goddess
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Not according to this. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Link please?
That was also as of 2004.

endlesst0m
12-04-2005, 11:42 PM
new jersey is the best state in america. the landscape is like a happy medium between urban and country...it rules. and the people in new jersey are cool as hell, we basically have our own culture here. i dunno what your talking about it doesn't really smell bad at all. its not really run down or anything like you guys are making it out to be...in fact alot of rich italians move out of the city into new jersey and they have these huge fancy houses and whatnot, so theres plenty of nice neighboorhoods...its not rundown at all and it doesnt smell...jersey rules!

Linda
12-05-2005, 12:10 PM
That was also as of 2004.

So why don't you just post the link where it shows Baltimore 2nd?

I'm beginning to think you can't because it doesn't exist.

spidey255
12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't post here much, but I live in a 3x1 mile city in NJ called Bayonne, so I figured I'd reply. Taking the lightrail and then the path, you can get to NYC in about an hour. I live on 15th St. of Bayonne. Jersey City starts right after 60something st. depending on what avenue you're on, but it's about 45 minutes away if you were to walk. There is a HUGE difference between Jersey City and Bayonne even though they're so close. I wouldn't ever walk into Jersey City. To be honest, it scares me. I love Bayonne (minus the asshole politicians). Of course, if you're going into a run down city it's going to smell, no matter what state you're in. Being so close to NYC, of course we're also going to get their pollution (all the cars, factories, etc). Bayonne doesn't really smell though. Apparently, we're the Tree City of NJ. I also have relatives living in Beachwood, which is a really nice town near the shore. The streets there...now those are crazy, especially when you're used to numbered streets instead of named.

Sunny
12-05-2005, 03:47 PM
dude.

jersey does smell.

most parts of nyc i've been to don't stink anywhere as bad.