PDA

View Full Version : I Wannabe a Hotel Manager!

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 10:46 AM
What the fuck?

You ever have a conversation with the class "elite"? The ones who always work the hardest, always do their assignments on time, and could never do anyone no wrong? Ever ask them why they work so hard?

The only contribution they plan for the world is hotel management? I mean fuck. If I thought Hotel Management was the end of my path, I would do 1/10th of the very little amount of work I do these days. What kind of a motivation to complete their studies is that?

What's even scarier is, what does that say about these people? Are their minds so small as to set their aims at becoming something so menial. Surely they plan for bigger things? Hotel Management. Might as well stick to McDonald's for all the good you do to yourself.

I don't work hard, I really don't have any motivation, but I can say at least I have goals. And my goals are higher, and they seem to be ones that are attainable. What does this mean? Someone is working disproportionately to attain their goals, or else our society places higher standards on Hotel Manager than it does on Professorship. And yes it's a long road to becoming a professor, but essentially it requires studying something I enjoy, and I don't think that will be particularly difficult. I mean my grades will be high enough to study something in the humanities.

So why work so hard to be a hotel manager? With that kind of life I'd rather live off of welfare. Develop a habit or something, it would be equally redundant.

Y'all know what I'm talking about right? Is there any explanation?

notoriousdoc
12-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Am I the only one who thought that might be a title of a Ramones tribute song?

HornyPope
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Hotel management is for rejects.

Us true elites shoot faaaar higher.

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Hotel management is for rejects.
shoot faaaar higher.
LOLZ!

And I agree.

clokey43
12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
My friend is an absolute genius, he always has been. He could aspire to be anything he wants to, he could do any job he wishes with his intelligence. What does he want to do? He wants to be a journalist, for a skate mag. I'm not saying journalism is a bad career, it isn't. However, he had the ablility to be a great assest to any job. When I asked him why, he simply said, he wouldn't be happy in any other job. I think it falls to that, people want to be happy at work and it doesn't matter to them what gifts they have. Even thougth the rest of us are completely bemussed at the very thought of their talents being wasted.

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
I can understand journalists and them finding happiness in that. It's an outlet of creativity and the product is truly theirs.

Hotel Management just isn't and will never be "fun." You chose that career because you've given up.

Izie
12-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Some people are just... Not ambitious? Or their definition of ambition is different, whatever.

But yeah, they always shock me too. Little people.

...then again, I AM class elite and I have higher goals, so you know, I don't really pay much attention to the "normal" people :p (and I do ridiculously little, blessed be Serbia and how it's taught me to do as little as possible and yet get results)

HornyPope
You don't teach ambition.

Btw, my signature quote is totaly relevant for this thread. Read.

wheelchairman
It might just be cultural. Business culture in Japan for example, means you usually start out at the bottom of the company structure. And there is strict means of hierarchy.

Izie
12-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Asians man. I know loads that're smarter and harder working than me, and seek disproportionately low goals in life. I mean kids that do everything asked of them, perfectly, and doublechecked, for a participation grade. Kids that're smart enough to teach a subject they just learned, and ones they haven't in class yet as they work ahead. Perfect grades, attendance, and attitude all the way. Kids that'll enter college with enough credits to be a sophomore. Yet they seek a simple buisness degree that'll land them straight into a cubicle where their talents will be wasted. I don't know why, but I think parents that don't teach ambition as an important value are part of it.

I was explaining this very thing to Ken the other day. It's just a whole different value system, and ambition isn't that big in it, apparently. And yes, that does suck, in my oppinion. But eh, you know, maybe they'll be happy with achieving little?

clokey43
12-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I can understand journalists and them finding happiness in that. It's an outlet of creativity and the product is truly theirs.

Hotel Management just isn't and will never be "fun." You chose that career because you've given up.

That's very true. Maybe it could be because these people are top at everything and seek to be 'normal'. I've always aimed high and some how managed so far to achieve all I have aimed for. I personally would not be able to cope with anything if I didn't have a high goal to work towards.

Yatesy
12-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Hmm, maybe that's what they want to do. I mean it's all opinion really, people have different ambitions. I mean if they want to run a hotel, hey let them do it if it floats their boat.

Paint_It_Black
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I work at the front desk at a hotel. How low am I? You want to talk about giving up then I should be the example. But at least I never aimed for it. Hopefully I won't end up reaching the lofty heights of management and staying there, but who knows. I'm a little scared of ever being offered a management position in case I get too comfortable with it. Anyway, my point was going to be that if you know anyone who wants to be a hotel manager, tell them just to get a job working front desk at a hotel. Preferably one with at least one low level management position. It's easy to get promoted up and then you have hotel management experience. A friend of mine did it exactly like that in about 3 months.

And yes, I'm aware this thread isn't really supposed to be about hotel management, but I can't miss a chance to talk about something I actually know about.

HornyPope
12-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Care to explain?

True ambition is an unrational product of a sum of many other sentiments--generally negative--such as jealousy, greed, torment, anxiety, the search of something better. Often a desire to overcompensate for elsewhere. Ambition is waking up everyday and not being satisfied with what you have. Ambition is swearing to succeed where others have failed. I'd further explain but I can't nail the proper description of the drive. Needless to say i'm using a rather extreme example of "ambition". Im thinking of Gaius Julius who following successful Gallic campaigns still cried upon learning that at his age, Alexander the Great had conquered already most of the known world.

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
I work at the front desk at a hotel. How low am I? You want to talk about giving up then I should be the example. But at least I never aimed for it. Hopefully I won't end up reaching the lofty heights of management and staying there, but who knows. I'm a little scared of ever being offered a management position in case I get too comfortable with it. Anyway, my point was going to be that if you know anyone who wants to be a hotel manager, tell them just to get a job working front desk at a hotel. Preferably one with at least one low level management position. It's easy to get promoted up and then you have hotel management experience. A friend of mine did it exactly like that in about 3 months.

And yes, I'm aware this thread isn't really supposed to be about hotel management, but I can't miss a chance to talk about something I actually know about.Yeah, Events Management is another one I've heard, and is equally inter-exchangeable.

And that's the thing, it's nothing you aimed for. The people who aim for it, are the ones that terrify me.

And Vlad, I love Jack London. I read Sea Wolf in like 3 days. My quote is better than yours though.

HornyPope
12-06-2005, 11:25 AM
And Vlad, I love Jack London. I read Sea Wolf in like 3 days. My quote is better than yours though.

I'll borrow another one of London's quotes to retort to this one: "No" (page 35)

HornyPope
12-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Well naturally a good parent, as will good mentor or trainer of any form, ought to place his child in the post possible position to secure and build upon his ambitions, but it's just not his battle.

Italia311
12-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Lol, this is so funny cause my friend took program at a college in Niagara Falls called "Hotel and Resturant Management" and had a job for 6 months now hes out of work.

I guess it sort of makes sense to do something like that since we live in Niagara Falls, which is one of the largest tourist industries in the world except, he never got a job in Niagara Falls, he was working in New Brunswick (who the fuck goes there?).

I dont see anything wrong with working hard at something you like, even though by someone elses standards is useless. Its all in what you want!

All About Eve
12-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Who would want a monotonous job like hotel management though? A hotel receptionist has a more diverse job than them.

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 11:57 AM
hmm after reading the last two replies, I have the feeling that the difference lies between the attitudes of the Working Class in 1984 and the antagonist of the book.

Italia311
12-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Who knows.

Besides, if you're a manager of a HOTEL in a place like Niagara Falls, you're going to rake in 100,000 + a year...guarantee. I know some of the owners down there (my family had a resturant there) and you make big fucking bucks.

Sin Studly
12-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Society was built on the backs of hardworking folks with no illusions about their mediocrity. Why complain?

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Who knows.

Besides, if you're a manager of a HOTEL in a place like Niagara Falls, you're going to rake in 100,000 + a year...guarantee. I know some of the owners down there (my family had a resturant there) and you make big fucking bucks.
So?

How much money does it take to make a shitty job fun? And if it's full time, how much money does it take to make 40+ shitty hours a week, fun?

I can see what you mean about having a good salary, and it probably is a good job in Niagara Falls. I just can't imagine ever having that be my peak aspiration. Ever.

wheelchairman
12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Society was built on the backs of hardworking folks with no illusions about their mediocrity. Why complain?
However Hotel Manager is a modern day non-job. If all the world's hotel managers suddenly ceased to exist, nothing would crumble.

All About Eve
12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd rather barely get by as a journalist or something creating my own work than be a hotel manager. Money =/= a fun job for me. My aspirations are more aimed torwards something I'll enjoy doing for a long time rather than something "high".

Italia311
12-06-2005, 12:09 PM
So?

How much money does it take to make a shitty job fun? And if it's full time, how much money does it take to make 40+ shitty hours a week, fun?

I can see what you mean about having a good salary, and it probably is a good job in Niagara Falls. I just can't imagine ever having that be my peak aspiration. Ever.

Yeah, everyone is different. It's a stressfull job, and I know its not fun. You got people breathing down your neck every 2 seconds with something different. But the pay reflects that.

Me personally its not worth it. I don't care how much money, Im not putting up with snotty bitches every 2 seconds. So I know what you're saying...

Its all in what you think is best for you...