PDA

View Full Version : Greenday released THERE lightning rod....

noodler
12-02-2004, 05:49 PM
That sound effect at start is so similar and its their "serious" song on the album.

it cant get off kerrang and scuzz or Q despite the fact its a bad video[good song tho]

altho i liked it more 3 weeks ago before it came out.

Anywaz my point is that u can have success with your less commerical songs. i just wish the offspring had done the same thing and released lightning rod.

i thinks its a clear sign that u dont have to pick the commerical single

Floyd the Barber
12-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Are you taking about Boulevard of Broken Dreams?

I agree it's a good song, but it's not like its radically UNcommercial. It's actually pretty poppy...I like it, though.

lousyskater
12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
can someone please translate that post?

Floyd the Barber
12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
can someone please translate that post?

:D

Seriously, I think he's in kindergarten or something.

I think he's saying that The Offsprinig should release "less commercial" songs like Lightning Rod...and something about the new Green Day song. I'm still trying to figure it out though.

SeanAshmore
12-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Boulevard of broken dreams is very commercial. its their version of an avril lavigne song with the 'oh-oh's' after the chorus and stuff. was like 'happy ending' by avril. Lightning rod would not have been as successful.

cony
12-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Yeah !! i think the same, the start of boulevard of broken dreams its very similar than ligthing rod !!! green day sucks !!!! :mad:

cony
12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Fucking comercial song boulevard of broken dream !!!

MUERTE A GREEN DAY PUDRANSE HPD !!!!

Lars
12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
not to mention a rip off some oasis song. it's funny really.

BuddyHolly
12-03-2004, 03:19 AM
Green Day just noticed that Blink 182 had some succes with "growing up", guess that's why they wrote songs that sound pretty much like Blink 182's last album.

Kitten
12-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Green Day just noticed that Blink 182 had some succes with "growing up", guess that's why they wrote songs that sound pretty much like Blink 182's last album.

Green did not notice anything like that. Green Day is a good band, and BoBD is a very good song and ideal for release.
The album as a whole is something different for them, and unlike other bands, they have managed to pull the change off quite successfully.

meaning_of_life
12-03-2004, 05:54 AM
yeh. i cant fault greendays new album except for that rip from lightning rod. i gotta say that as good as lightning rod is, i doubt it would have been very succesful commercially. its too fast and just isnt mainstream enough.

mrconeman
12-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Well for a start simpley because the greenday song fades in from the song before it (like lighting rod) doesnt mean the ripped it off I mean cmon people, Have any of you ever listend to a pink floyd album? most of their songs fade in and out I dont hear any one saying offspring ripped them off

BoBD is a great song, but still very poppy during the verses they made that song just commercial enough and the chorus and outro are good for the long time greenday fans its a good song all round

Although yes I do agree that songs like never guna find me, lighting rod or long way home (esp that one) would have been better choices than hit that

CommonRider
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM
There is nothing Lightning Rod about BoBD! BoBD is like a follow up to When I Come Around, its really catchy and poppy (not in a bad way, I love this song), Lightning Rod is way to aggressive for the radio I think

No Brakes Boy
12-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Imagine....an Offspring musical........

killboypwrheadjx
12-03-2004, 02:32 PM
i totally agree...emo and screamo are in....therefore, good bands mold themselves to fit what mtv wants them to be. its pissing me the hell off.

oh and one fun fact about green day...my dad works in a fitness spa at a hotel they were staying at and green day's manager came in and asked for a map of the city so the band could do their "work-out jog" or whatever. my dad talked to him for a little and found out that green day doesnt drink or do drugs or anything and they're all into being in shape and shit. i couldnt believe it!

ClamsHaveFeelingsToo
12-03-2004, 05:03 PM

Uh, both Green Day's Nimrod (1997) and Warning (2000) had 'serious', 'grown up' songs in it (Time of Your Life? Worry Rock? Redundant? Scattered? Misery? Macy's Day Parade?) before Blink 182 released their album, you fucking imbecile.

Layna
12-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Boulevard of broken dreams is very commercial. its their version of an avril lavigne song with the 'oh-oh's' after the chorus and stuff. was like 'happy ending' by avril. Lightning rod would not have been as successful.

When i heard it (the first time) I thought that("oh-oh" it was like "my happy ending), I cant believe it , Im not the only one who think the same !! BUTTTT I like boulevard of broken dreams. :D

Zugg Island Convict
12-04-2004, 07:32 AM
not to mention audioslave used a similar effect for cochise with a whammy and delay.....

Camilamazed
12-04-2004, 10:40 AM
I thought I was the only one who didn't understand what that boy posted hahahaha.....

QUEEF
12-04-2004, 11:01 AM
i totally agree...emo and screamo are in....therefore, good bands mold themselves to fit what mtv wants them to be. its pissing me the hell off.

oh and one fun fact about green day...my dad works in a fitness spa at a hotel they were staying at and green day's manager came in and asked for a map of the city so the band could do their "work-out jog" or whatever. my dad talked to him for a little and found out that green day doesnt drink or do drugs or anything and they're all into being in shape and shit. i couldnt believe it!
That is so not true! If they were not into doing drugs, why would they name their band after their fondness of smoking pot. And do you remember the Billie and beer inncident? I think it's fine if they want to work out, maybe they just want to look good. :D

yamabeans709
12-04-2004, 01:32 PM
hmm....i'm a greenday fan too, along with offspring

im not sure what's the story with why the intros are the same, but i dont really care, bobd shouldnt have been a single n e ways, i have the cd and it's probly the 2nd least best song on the album, i think "holiday" should have been the 2nd single :(

and for the whole growing up thing, green day changed on every album actually
dookie - teen anthem-esh
insomniac - nausious, addictive
nimrod - depressing, weird, almighty
warning - pop/punk and country mixed together
ameridan idiot - political

Jakebert
12-04-2004, 07:14 PM

Green Day grew up in 2000 with Warning.

dain84
12-04-2004, 09:21 PM
not to mention audioslave used a similar effect for cochise with a whammy and delay.....
except on cochise it is just tom morello playing guitar, which is so incredible.

Kitten
12-05-2004, 01:29 AM
hmm....i'm a greenday fan too, along with offspring

im not sure what's the story with why the intros are the same, but i dont really care, bobd shouldnt have been a single n e ways, i have the cd and it's probly the 2nd least best song on the album, i think "holiday" should have been the 2nd single :(

I thought it was a good second single. I am also going to say that Holiday WILL be the third single, so don't go crying about things just yet.

meaning_of_life
12-05-2004, 02:07 AM
i reckon any song off american idiot could do really well with the exception of "shes a rebel'. that one sucks, but everything else is just awesome

yamabeans709
12-05-2004, 10:03 AM
extradordinary girl is my least favorite

*we've seem to have gone off topic*

noodler
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
well i was listening to BOBD 3 weeks before the video was released and i liked it. im not gonna pretend i think its poppy now just cos its getting serious airplay.

point simply was that the offspring shud take a chance. its not like hit that or CGMHAY were unbelievably successful.

emo is a great song by the way.

i even like blinks new video, just think its funny.

code_blue
12-20-2004, 11:02 PM
That is so not true! If they were not into doing drugs, why would they name their band after their fondness of smoking pot. And do you remember the Billie and beer inncident? I think it's fine if they want to work out, maybe they just want to look good. :D

well, it is possible for bandmembers' tastes and interests to change after being together for like, 15+ years. just because they were potheads back then doesn't mean they still do it now, when they're all over 30 and have kids.

BuddyHolly
12-21-2004, 03:06 AM
Green Day grew up in 2000 with Warning.

they did, but their last album sounds just like the last blink18crap album. Warning had a really different sound.

sheepboy
12-21-2004, 03:31 AM
did u's ever think that a bands music could be different from when they originally started out due to the fact that they are more experienced, have had lots of experience, or perhaps their view on the world could have changed(eg oo drugs are cool....OMG he's overdosed...drugs are bad) or even the fact that they might even be more confident to change without the fear that "fans" may turn their back on the band.....Ahem..thats all

meaning_of_life
12-21-2004, 04:21 AM
lightning rod and BOBD sound nothing alike, what are you talking about? lightning rod wouldnt have done well at all, its far too agressive, and BOBD is the perfect radio friendly song, it makes perfect sense to play it on the radio. i have no idea what you have been listening to. :confused:

::Silvia::
12-21-2004, 07:46 AM
I think that Boulevard of broken dreams resembles to lightning rod in the initial part, nothing more. They are both beautiful song

Venezuelan_Nightmare
12-21-2004, 07:48 AM
just the begging sounds something like lighting road just that everything in the song are so different:S try to hear it completly xDDD