PDA

View Full Version : One creepy, slight disturbing though, Offspring forum-goers.

[Warning] Nimrod In Town
12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
You know... The Offspring is a popular band... and these are popular boards. I mean, there are like more than 5000 registered users. Anyways... look, some people here are pretty... distinctive. Simona, Tizz, Izie, Bella are the sex demons, there's the crazy l337 club, Sin Studly is the insane "superior" one, I'm the mentally insane one, TUNB is awesome, HornyPope is the... Horny... pope... and, well, some of us just stand out kind of. But look... everyone has access to these forums, and it is a popular band, like I said, and countless people may have seen us post and act... well, I don't know, what if people idolize us (Not me, you!, yes you in front!) ? I mean... what if there's a TUNB fanclub?! A SinStudly cult?! What if we've becomes icons of worship to other Internet-surfers? What if you have some sort of impact on some dude's life? What if what we say has some sort of effect on someone's way of thinking?

For example, there could be people out there that either plain hate me, and want to know where I live so they can kill me, or others, who want to meet Ricky in real life, and think he's the most badass dude ever...

Just think about it.

Think.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I've thought about this whole lurking thing before, but I doubt there's any that are THAT obsessive.

Nirushika6789
12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
haha there is probably somebody on here that would really love to meet one of the more 'popular' members but seriously it seems kind of sad and disturbing to me

China Boy
These boards don't have a lot to do with my life. I just express my opinions here, and discuss things I wouldn't discuss with my friends.

Sinister
Nimrod In Town']Think.

Too bad half the boards can't do that.

TheUnholyNightbringer
These boards don't have a lot to do with my life. I just express my opinions here, and discuss things I wouldn't discuss with my friends.

I think he's talking about lurkers more than members.

Nirushika6789
12-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I've thought about this whole lurking thing before, but I doubt there's any that are THAT obsessive.
if we can count Dexter as a member...after all he does have a username etc

then DexterisMYman would be way up there with the lurking thing....she's got issues
(pun intended)

Vera
12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I doubt it's any fun to read it if you can't be a part of it in terms of contribution.

Rancid_Guyxxx
12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Slightly disturbing yes, but what you are saying sounds a bit extreme. Definitely possible though.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I doubt it's any fun to read it if you can't be a part of it in terms of contribution.

Oh, I'm not sure about this. I know of one forum in particular where I lurked for about six months watching everything happen, and never joined.

Vera
12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Also, via Google: http://www.parstimes.com/spaceimages/tunb_islands.html

HOLY SHIT DAVE SOME FUCKERS NAMED ISLANDS AFTER YOU!!!11

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Oh, dangit. They's onto me.

Bet they're some truly awesome islands though.

Vera
12-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Oh, I'm not sure about this. I know of one forum in particular where I lurked for about six months watching everything happen, and never joined.
I meant this board. I mean, honestly, some of the idiocy is not very enlightening unless you can be a part of the pwning by posting messages.

Lurking only works if there are a huge amount of good discussions. That's rarely the case here.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
I meant this board. I mean, honestly, some of the idiocy is not very enlightening unless you can be a part of the pwning by posting messages.

Lurking only works if there are a huge amount of good discussions. That's rarely the case here.

The only situation I can think of is if someone happens to come in at a time of high drama or a big incident, and waits around for a while waiting for something else to happen. Obviously that's probably very rare.

Tizzalicious
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
That would freak me out. But I doubt anyone is that into us.

And sex demons? Lolz =P

the_offsprings_monkey
12-06-2005, 05:15 PM
* Ahem *

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
And sex demons? Lolz =P

You called?

Seriously though, I'd love a fan club. It'd be great to sign my photo.

0r4ng3
12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I'd love a cult following. I'll plan the mass suicide, and then take no part in the actual event. Fun!

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Be fun to see if they'd actually do it.

0r4ng3
12-06-2005, 05:26 PM
"By order of the Headbanging Mega Man, I command you!"

Yeah, they probably will.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Pish awf, you haven't had the Headbanging MegaMan for ages.

0r4ng3
12-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Oh c'mon, it's better than "By order of the Dark Archon, I command you!"

Wait, shit, Dark Archon sounds better.

Lodat69er
12-06-2005, 06:08 PM
I've thought about this whole lurking thing before, but I doubt there's any that are THAT obsessive.They're more fukin obsessive than that. Look at what Maria fukin did to Sin. I mean yeah she did actually post, but some people are just fukin psycho.

That_Guy91
12-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I'd love a cult following. I'll plan the mass suicide, and then take no part in the actual event. Fun!
i'd definately join that cult.

Betty
12-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I think you guys totally underestimate the power of creepy Internet people.

It's not the same but I've found myself reading random people's Internet journals just from somehow linking there and then sometimes reading them regularly if they're interesting and then reading some of their friends journals that are linked... and it ends up being this huge soap opera. Hmm... I'm not really sure if it's comparable because journals are probably much more interesting that the routine stuff you can find here, but I definitely wouldn't write it off as a possibility.

coke_a_holic
12-06-2005, 07:28 PM
If I had a fanclub, I'd totally try and get people to drink purple Kool-Aid. Not the poisoned stuff that "enlightens you," just regular old Kool-Aid. Anyone who did it would become higher members in the club. Don't make any jokes about me making them drink Coke instead because that's not the least bit funny.

Offspring7
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM
^Kind of like Betty, I love reading random people's stuff. It is really interesting. And its fun to go from Myspace to Myspace reading about random people.

Cult followings, creepy. And one day I actually hope to have one as a famous actress.

T-6005
12-06-2005, 07:50 PM
^Kind of like Betty, I love reading random people's stuff. It is really interesting. And its fun to go from Myspace to Myspace reading about random people.

Cult followings, creepy. And one day I actually hope to have one as a famous actress.
I'd be creeped out by a following. But I'd definitely see where I could take it.

0r4ng3
12-06-2005, 08:36 PM
If I had a fanclub, I'd totally try and get people to drink purple Kool-Aid. Not the poisoned stuff that "enlightens you," just regular old Kool-Aid. Anyone who did it would become higher members in the club. Don't make any jokes about me making them drink Coke instead because that's not the least bit funny.
Well, obviously you'd want to keep all the coke for yourself. That wasn't suppose to be a joke, by the way.

Would you tell your followers that it's poisoned?

coke_a_holic
12-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, obviously you'd want to keep all the coke for yourself. That wasn't suppose to be a joke, by the way.

Would you tell your followers that it's poisoned?
Yes, and I know.

No, I mean it wouldn't be poisoned. I don't remember the name, but a famous cult leader once got his entire cult to drink "transcendent" Kool-Aid that was actually poisoned. He was so charismatic that he could just get everyone to do it. It's become an expression ("drink the Kool-Aid" represents following the charismatic leader). So what I would do is give them UNpoisoned Kool-Aid and anyone that trusts me enough to do it would be given a higher seat of power.

0r4ng3
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
So, you're just gonna give them Kool-Aid, and not say anything about whether it's poisoned or not, or what effect it could have? Now that is a good (and funny) idea.

coke_a_holic
12-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Now, of course I would hint to it. I would include maniacal laughter as I offer it to them, maybe grin evilly as I put the "chalice of inspiration" into their hands. Now THAT would be great: to watch their uneasy double takes at me and the purple liquid that represents the reason no one should never join a cult.

Izie
12-07-2005, 02:32 AM
It's not the same but I've found myself reading random people's Internet journals just from somehow linking there and then sometimes reading them regularly if they're interesting and then reading some of their friends journals that are linked... and it ends up being this huge soap opera. Hmm... I'm not really sure if it's comparable because journals are probably much more interesting that the routine stuff you can find here, but I definitely wouldn't write it off as a possibility.

Oh good, I thought I was weird. Suppose I still am, but at least I'm not alone :p

Back in Black
12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
i'd definately join that cult.
I wouldn't.

JohnnyNemesis
12-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Pretty interesting idea. It'd be funny as hell if people were actually fans of me.

Mannen som blev en gris
12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
But if you are a fan of a person, wouldn't you wanna talk to him? So why not just register? Still a funny idea though.

Yes, and I know.

No, I mean it wouldn't be poisoned. I don't remember the name, but a famous cult leader once got his entire cult to drink "transcendent" Kool-Aid that was actually poisoned. He was so charismatic that he could just get everyone to do it. It's become an expression ("drink the Kool-Aid" represents following the charismatic leader). So what I would do is give them UNpoisoned Kool-Aid and anyone that trusts me enough to do it would be given a higher seat of power.
"We thank you for the Kool Aid reverend Jim dadadadom dadadadom"... Manowar wrote a song about that. Guyanaaaaaaaa, in the cult of the damned

Nina
12-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I third what Betty said, I also read random stuff when it's interesting enough, things like LJ communities and myspace people etc., but I never add people or join communities as much as I just read them.
But...this subject is creepy & I dont want to think about it now :[

Kerr
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Richie, you're taking things way too far. Who the hell is going to really care much about us anyway?

Nina
12-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I think you underestimate people (as Betty already said). Some people can get so obsessed :E

Vera
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I by accident surfed to this girl's blog site once and have been reading ever since, though I don't do it regularly, twice a year maybe, just to see if she's still doing her blog thingy. On the livejournal front, I have a few people whose lj's I go to every now & then to see what they're into, what stories they're writing etc.

It's not too weird. I mean, if you have a page that's public, of course people are allowed to read it without telling you so.

I somehow find it unlikely that someone would be able to wade through all the crap and get inside our social circles just by reading this forum. And yes, I do find it unlikely that anyone would fangirl us. Not everyone is Maria.

Betty
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmm... I don't know...

(By the way, they're all thinking "Oh no, they're onto me!" right now)

It's possible. Like, there ARE lurkers, who just want to get a feel for things before they post, or just aren't ready to post or whatever. So let's say somebody does that for a few months and gets a general feel for who's who. Now, some people have links to their websites and journals or myspaces or whatever. They can follow those. Many of those journals are linked to other BBS people's sites. I've read people's LJ's that are public anyway every once in a while... even though I don't have my own... I intend to make up one at some point... but can't be bothered yet.

I don't know
12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I don't think that there are people who check these boards often and don't post anything and that are fan of some members, if there were fans of some members they would register and make a thread saying how much they love them. or maybe they exist, and they're loving this thread, hehe :D

Homer
12-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Do I count? Since there's probably 7000 fanclubs with my name.