PDA

View Full Version : Solo albums

nieh
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Name some band members that have released solo albums and what you think of them.

Stone Gossard - Bayleaf. I just stumbled onto this last night, I didn't even know it existed. I picked it up as it was only $4. It's surprisingly good. about 90% of the album sounds like it could have fit on a Pearl Jam album. It seems he's the guy that brings the moodier, slightly bluesy stuff to the band. I like it as much as most Pearl Jam albums, and it's more consistent than any of them as well.

Mike Patton - Adult Themes for Voices. Horrendous. It's just him layering annoying sounds he makes with his voice into a 4-track tape recorder. No rhythm, no melody, no structure, no songs, nothing worthwhile. I'm not sure if he thinks the album is actually interesting or if he was just trying to piss people off.

Josh Freese - The Notorious One Man orgy. Meh. I love Josh Freese, but he's not the best songwriter in the world. Most of the songs are stupid silly pop-punk songs that could've been written by anyone. Even the drumming isn't that special on this album. It's perfectly listenable, but not really anything better than that.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - A Manual Dexterity. Not bad. Some of the songs are quite good while others range from annoying to alright. A lot more mellow than I expected it to be.

Betty
12-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Ha... Josh Freese... I've heard a couple tunes...

I don't have too many solo albums.

Paul Westerberg - 14 Songs

I picked it up at a used CD booth one day. It's alright, but not nearly as good as any of my Replacements albums.

I might look into listening to some Joe Strummer or Mike Ness stuff at some point, but I'm not too eager.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
The Foo Fighters' self-titled album technically falls into this category, but I'm sure most people have heard it. Yeah, it's a good album.

China Boy
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Bruce Dickinson has a pretty good solo album. "If Ozzy was my dad" is awesome.

GBH2
12-07-2005, 02:35 PM
mike ness has 2 amazingly kickass solo albums.

All About Eve
12-07-2005, 05:53 PM
James Labrie's solo album came out this year I *think*, may have been earlier. Elements of Persuasion. Haven't gotten it yet, but it should be pretty good.

Jebus
12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
oh, so many to talk about... but I have yet to hear the James Labrie album. I should look for it on soulseek.

All About Eve
12-07-2005, 05:57 PM
oh, so many to talk about... but I have yet to heard the James Labrie album. I should look for it on soulseek.

If you do, could you send it to me over MSN if you have it?

Jebus
12-07-2005, 06:02 PM
alright, I just found it. I don't have msn but I could send it to you via yousendit later.

All About Eve
12-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Much obliged.

Yatesy
12-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Probot is technically a Dave Grohl solo album. Also taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters drummer) is releasing his album in January in his band Coattail Riders and chris Schifflet has a side-project called Jackson united who released their album in 2003 which is pretty good I think. Dunno if they count but meh I'm not to bothered really. =P

JohnnyNemesis
12-08-2005, 08:35 AM
James Iha (of the Smashing Pumpkins) released "Let It Come Down". I heard it sucked.

Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) came out with one last year that I have yet to purchase. Martin Gore as well.

wheelchairman
12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah it was truly terrible. It's like if music suddenly became a vagina but not in the good way.

Jimmy Chamberlain and Billy Corgan from the pumpkins both made very good solo albums. The Jimmy Chamberlain Complex - Life Begins Again and Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbrace

Apathy
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I've heard of Nikola Sarcevic's solo album, he's the singer/bass from millencolin, never actually listened to it though.

My guess is that it would be the same as millencolin, because it's the same person on vocals.

jacknife737
12-09-2005, 11:40 AM
lars frederickson and the bastards.

offspring fan
12-09-2005, 11:43 AM
hmmmmm.......... solo albums...........noooooo...........

Jakebert
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Bob Mould from Husker Du made some pretty cool solo stuff.