PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics sites and Tab sites Illegal?

WebDudette
12-10-2005, 02:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.
The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

He said unlicensed guitar tabs and song scores were widely available on the internet but were "completely illegal".

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective".

I'am just gonna say wow.

T-6005
12-10-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm intrigued by this thread.

So helping someone else learn how to play a song is illegal, is it?

Ugh - I've got more comments, but I'm far too lazy to write them down now. Maybe I'll rant in this thread later.

WebDudette
12-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah, soon it's gonna be illegal to look at tab/lyrics that aren't licensed.

Jebus
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
You totaly beat me to this thread. :( I was planning on making today but I forgot.

Tabs are just interpretations of how songs are played. They're never 100% correct so technically, it's not the actual song. Just imitations like ADIDAAS...

XYlophonetreeZ
12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
lolz a dude named Lauren.

I wouldn't worry about this at all. Tabs and lyrics will be even harder to shut down than P2P services. All someone has to do is save a bunch of tabs and lyrics on their computer and then they can just create a very simple website and it's back on the net.

Human
12-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Pfft, yeah right, this is like the Holocaust but with like Government as Hitler and the tab sites as the Gypsys and Jews, trying to wipe them out but they shall not succeed!!!! Sorry, bad analogy

All About Eve
12-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Shutting down an interpretation of a song would be like going against free speech; I doubt he'll get far.

WebDudette
12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
As do I but its still a pretty stupid thing to even try.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Oh, this is utterly ridiculous.

I bet it's Lars n' Co behind the wheel again.

Lars
12-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Haha, maybe soon, they'll end up introducing some stupid law where they have to license the lyrics for the bands own website...

Heard this thing were there was a grey area in Germany at one point and artists offering mp3s on their own sites might have had to pay some licensing fees to themselves... It doesn't work like that and never did in the end, but the stupidity could be there.

Surely students quoting passages in books should also be jailed then?

All About Eve
12-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Surely students quoting passages in books should also be jailed then?

At the least, if more than a sentence tar and feathering should definately be implemented.

Jebus
12-15-2005, 08:49 PM
UPDATE
It looks like the MPA already started. Check out any tab at taborma.com
http://www.taborama.com/archive/tab.php?tid=2104&aid=37&a=Offspring&t=All%20I%20Want&i=1

WebDudette
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow. It's not going to hurt the music industry one bit to have tabs and lyrics on the internet.

Well I suppose people wouldn't use lyric sites as much if they bought the CD's but thats not always the case I've bought CD's that didn't have booklets.

Telekinesis
12-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I was wondering why Mxtabs wasn't working, damn that sucks