PDA

View Full Version : Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse...

Paint_It_Black
12-11-2005, 12:57 AM
So I got fired. Two weeks before Christmas. And for complicated reasons I'm not going to get into, it's impossible for me to find another job right now. Wow. Lucky I have a sense of humour I guess. This isn't any kind of attempt for sympathy, I just felt the strange urge to keep the bbs informed on the progress of my life. Well, more like a profound lack of progress.

Any one know any good ways of making money that don't involve conventional employment?

T-6005
12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
So I got fired. Two weeks before Christmas. And for complicated reasons I'm not going to get into, it's impossible for me to find another job right now. Wow. Lucky I have a sense of humour I guess. This isn't any kind of attempt for sympathy, I just felt the strange urge to keep the bbs informed on the progress of my life. Well, more like a profound lack of progress.

Any one know any good ways of making money that don't involve conventional employment?
Tutoring - although you'd have to find somebody hardcore to tutor if you're hoping to make anything significant.

Dealing works as well, but I don't recommend that.

Tizzalicious
12-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Damn, that sucks =/

As for ways to make money...I have no idea.

Endymion
12-11-2005, 01:07 AM
pimping aint easy, yo.

JohnnyNemesis
12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
It sounds like you need to go...where everybody knows your naaaame...and they're always glad you caaaaaaaaame!

As far as your money woes, you're a middle-class white dude, correct? Just fit into the stereotype and start selling drugs for a little while. Then get strung out on your own shit and listen to some Led Zep in your room for awhile. Hell yeah, son.

the_GoDdEsS
12-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Whore yourself?

I sometimes wish I just got fired. In an instant.

Mota Boy
12-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Well Richard, what can I say? "That sucks"? "I'm sorry"? They're both true, but you deserve slightly more.

Look at it this way - your life isn't your job. It isn't your bank account. It isn't the shit you write to try and outdo your highschool friends on your Christmas card circular. Your life is you, the sum total of your experiences and the relations you have with your friends.

It's evident from the minimal contact I've had with you over the internet that you're an intelligent, interesting individual, which is more credit than I'll give 95% of humanity (for what my opinion is worth). You're stilll young, you still have decades left to carve out a life for yourself. Though it's become a cliche, this really is the first day of the rest of your life. What do you want to do? From the little I can guess, you seem to have some specialized skills that allow you to enjoy a good career, but in the interim, I'm sure there are a multitude of less specialized jobs that might be just as interesting, if slightly below what you consider your level. Try and get work at a bar, a coffeehouse, a restaurant, a record store.

No, you're not going to be rolling in the money. Yes, these next few weeks/months might be harder than you previously thought, but you've still got enough life ahead of you that this isn't a setback so much as an interlude. This is your first chance since around college for a real adventure. Previously you've been constrained by the trappings of a career from doing something truly radical, but now you can do something radically different without fear of reprecussions. This isn't a setback, man, this is a fucking opportunity! SEIZE IT! Do the kind of sllighly crazy shit that you didn't have the opportunity to do earlier and won't have the opportunity to do in a few months after you've gotten another career job. Enjoy yourself. It WILL work out. Another cliche, but this could be the best thing that ever happened to you. Just remember: you aren't being knocked around by soulless corporate machines - you have a choice in all of this. Start running a mile a day. Start reading a book a week. Start going up to that girl at at the bar and talking to her. Or hell, start catching up on daytime soaps, it's up to you. But don't forget that this is an opportunity. Best of luck.

Paint_It_Black
12-11-2005, 04:05 AM
******, wow, what can I say to that? Thanks man, I appreciate the extent of your reply. In some things you are very correct. It is an opportunity, and I have been stressing a little that I was going to stay in the same place for far too long out of laziness. I had been considering looking for something else in a couple of months anyway, but this is a bad time of year to suddenly have no income. Unfortunately you were wrong on a few things. I don't have any particular skills I'd consider specialized. I may very well apply for any of the type of jobs you mentioned and the money would be most likely around what I'm used to. But I can't apply for any jobs right now because of some INS complications, but hopefully I'll get those figured out soon. My first thought for making good use of the time is to excercize more and try to quit smoking. I should probably try to get back to writing screenplays now I have the time, it's been too long since I've made any serious attempt at that.

Goddess, I would whore myself but I'm not sure there's a market.

Johnny, I was raised by working-class parents who achieved a fairly middle class lifestyle. Based on my values and lifestyle I'd call myself working-class. The dealing thing wouldn't work too well for me, my wife's brother probably wouldn't want to share the territory.

T-6005, tutoring is something I hadn't considered at all. Thanks for that.

Vera
12-11-2005, 04:14 AM
I'm sure relatives and friends will understand that you can't buy everyone a plasma TV for Christmas this year. Perhaps you can boycot Christmas this year all together.

As long as you have something to eat and a roof over your head, I'm sure you'll survive some time unemployed. And once you get the shitty things sorted out, you can apply for new jobs.

Wow, my advice sucks. Er. Am glad you're posting again, though!

Paint_It_Black
12-11-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks Vera. Maybe I'll post more now I'm not exactly busy.

Yeah, I'm sure people will understand. But, if I have to return the things I've already bought because I need the cash then I'm going to feel pretty shitty. Boycotting Christmas is an idea, but I kinda did that last year. I was sort of looking forward to it this year. Although funnily enough if I hadn't been fired I would probably have had to work on Christmas.

killer_queen
12-11-2005, 04:47 AM
Why don't you ask for your parents for money? I don't know, I have never worked, the only money I get is from my parents. If there is anything that I can do for you to make you feel better just tell me. I'm probably not going to do it but at least try.

wheelchairman
12-11-2005, 05:05 AM
You any good at online poker? That seems to be an easy way to make money.

And this is the extent to which my thoughts can help you earn money. Surely you are qualifiable for welfare? I don't know how it works in the states, but that's something.

I support what Mota said. This is a brilliant opportunity. You seem to see that yourself though. Well, I hope you take it. Don't settle.

the_GoDdEsS
12-11-2005, 05:06 AM
Asking your parents for money feels shittier the older you get.

Paint_It_Black
12-11-2005, 05:26 AM
killer queen, I've been supporting myself for almost 6 years, I think it might be a bit late to start asking my parents for money again. Thanks for trying to help though. I'm always surprised when I post something here honestly not looking for sympathy and receive an abundance of kindness. Gives me that warm and tingly feeling.

Per, the poker is something I'm considering. A friend of mine got into that playing for free and won enough credits on the site to turn them into cash and then started playing in the cash games. Eventually he lost all the money he was playing with and got a real job, but he did make a few hundred dollars out of it that he wisely cashed out before he lost the rest. I could probably do alright at it, but I strongly dislike gambling when you actually need the money. If nothing else turns up I'll give it a shot though, since if I do it the same way my friend did then I have nothing to lose but time.

wheelchairman
12-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Per, the poker is something I'm considering. A friend of mine got into that playing for free and won enough credits on the site to turn them into cash and then started playing in the cash games. Eventually he lost all the money he was playing with and got a real job, but he did make a few hundred dollars out of it that he wisely cashed out before he lost the rest. I could probably do alright at it, but I strongly dislike gambling when you actually need the money. If nothing else turns up I'll give it a shot though, since if I do it the same way my friend did then I have nothing to lose but time.
Of course. The house *always* wins in the end. But since you can do this without actually putting money into it. You'd only lose time. The thing is you have to want to spend your time this way. And it'll probably take a lot of time.

Paint_It_Black
12-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Yeah, it would definitely take a hell of a lot of time. I'm too lazy to try that unless I start to get desperate.

Maria, thanks. Unfortunately I'm not eligible for any unemployment benefits or welfare of any kind at this time as far as I know.

JoY
12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Claibe's post was awesome to the max.

Richard, I'm so very sorry. life -can- be cruel, it certainly has its ways to throw you off your feet. but I know someone like you has his ways of getting back on his feet without a scratch in no-time. you'll be fine, absolutely no question about it. that doesn't make the situation right now any better, but it at least should give you some good old justified confidence & hope.

everything has been said, so I'll just remove myself right now from this thread in which I contributed a total of nothing, to be exact.

Back in Black
12-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Do you live in a city that gets snow. If you do, then volenteer to shovel other peoples drive ways and side walk.

dalaksta
12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Right before christmas huh? Your boss didn't show too much mercy did he/she?

Megs
12-11-2005, 12:50 PM

babysitting, mowing your neighbour's lawns, washing people's cars...erm....i'm out of ideas now.

noodlesfan
12-11-2005, 02:49 PM
just when you thought emo had reached its peak......we get another miserable post from someone confusing the forums for a diary.

HornyPope
12-11-2005, 02:52 PM
That doesn't sound nearly as bad. Over-reacting a bit, PIT?

Stay away from poker if you don't know what you're doing. And no, the "house" doesn't win, because you're not playing against no house.

There's plenty of oppertunities to score easy cash, but you're hardly the kind of guy who'll do it.

wheelchairman
12-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Stay away from poker if you don't know what you're doing. And no, the "house" doesn't win, because you're not playing against no house.

It was more metaphoric when it comes to gambling. However there has to be a profitable basis for these poker companies.

BATWT
12-11-2005, 02:59 PM
just when you thought emo had reached its peak......we get another miserable post from someone confusing the forums for a diary.

the guy's just lost his job and is feeling rightfully low; and has felt it appropriate to share his disheveled feelings to the board. in my eyes that is not emo, as it is justified. in fact, if anything you should be fucking honoured he feels comfortable enough to share with us this terrible situation. it's just some people are too insensitive to appreciate such a matter.

rich my man, forget about these quick job ideas, wait for the christmas period to finish, then get right back up and go looking for a job. you're an intelligent respectable man, you'll fall on your feet. trust me, i have the truthfulness of jack daniels at my side

HornyPope
12-11-2005, 03:00 PM
There's a reke, usualy in the neighberhoods of 2-3%, substracted from the total pot. In some poker rooms they ask for an hourly rate of say 5$. It's basicly just a charge for you to sit at the table and play. But since you're not playing against the house, it doesn't exactly "win".

Now single games are entierly different.

Paint_It_Black
12-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Not sure who you are...and don't really care. But I consider some people here friends so like many people I give occasional updates on my life. Not exactly like a diary, and not exactly emo. And you appear to be not exactly worthwhile.

HP, I'm assuming that by "PIT" you were referring to me. How am I over reacting to anything?

There's plenty of oppertunities to score easy cash, but you're hardly the kind of guy who'll do it.

I'm not sure if I am supposed to be pleased or offended by that. Mostly I'm just left wondering why you seem to think you know me so well.

Nina
12-12-2005, 09:29 AM
You could strip for me...

T-6005
12-12-2005, 09:29 AM
You could strip for me...
Well, there you go. Steady income - become a stripper.

Or set up a stripping agency.

Back in Black
12-12-2005, 10:44 AM
My idea is the best so far.

Paint_It_Black
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Actually Nina's idea is the best so far.

HornyPope
12-12-2005, 12:07 PM
HP, I'm assuming that by "PIT" you were referring to me. How am I over reacting to anything?

I'm not sure if I am supposed to be pleased or offended by that. Mostly I'm just left wondering why you seem to think you know me so well.

Don't give me the pussy "you don't know me" rebutal. I can tell enough from your personality that you're not the kind to go after the "easy cash" in question.

And why do I call you for over-reacting? Because losing a fucking desk job hardly makes a truely bad situation any worse. Certainly not as dramatic as you make it sound in the title.

Paint_It_Black
12-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't give me the pussy "you don't know me" rebutal. I can tell enough from your personality that you're not the kind to go after the "easy cash" in question.

And why do I call you for over-reacting? Because losing a fucking desk job hardly makes a truely bad situation any worse. Certainly not as dramatic as you make it sound in the title.

Losing any job you relied upon to pay your rent clearly would make any situation worse. Regardless of that, you misinterpreted the tone of my post. The title was more just a phrase than something that was supposed to be taken literally. I'm aware that things could indeed be far, far worse.

I made no rebutal. I was honestly surprised to see you saying you know something about me, because we've never had a conversation and most people here know very little about me. I wasn't even aware that a rebutal was required, because I'm still clueless as to whether you consider going after "easy cash" to be positive or negative.

It seems to me as though you are perhaps the one over-reacting, unless I misjudged the slight aggression of your post.

platinumpt
12-12-2005, 12:29 PM

I feel sorry for you man... I hope the situation gets better for you as soon as possible. I understand what you feel, I've been unemployed before too, it's fucked up. Good luck Richard, feel free to talk to me in private if you need to.

Paint_It_Black
12-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks Plat, I appreciate it.

I'm not feeling too bad though, I was fired for a bullshit reason. The manager really wanted me to stay, but the owner made the decision. It's not been too bad of a hit to the self-esteem, and my money won't run out for a while. Plus, I had been wanting a vacation. I guess I just get a slightly longer one than I had planned.

platinumpt
12-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Just keep looking, something will come up :)

And meanwhile stay cool, and enjoy your unexpected vacation! Just don't forget to keep looking.

HornyPope
12-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Losing any job you relied upon to pay your rent clearly would make any situation worse. Regardless of that, you misinterpreted the tone of my post. The title was more just a phrase than something that was supposed to be taken literally. I'm aware that things could indeed be far, far worse.

Any person relies on his job to pay the rent. That's not an argument. In your case, its an easily remplacable job. I understand you can't remplace it as of this instant, but the nature of this job is such that the loss thereof doesn't handicap you from pursuing your life. This turn of events (getting fired) should be considered habitual until you settle for something permanent and stable. Then you can panic.

I made no rebutal. I was honestly surprised to see you saying you know something about me, because we've never had a conversation and most people here know very little about me.

I've seen you post on this board for four years. I can't tell your favourite movie, colour, activity, but I can pick certain traits from your character in your speech (type) pattern, and and among the chief assests I see none that make you fit for the kind of internet jobs I was describing. Bascily, entepreneur-style.

Paint_It_Black
12-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Fair enough then.

Just to explain a little more, the type of job I had is indeed easily replacable. My biggest problem is an immigration complication that makes it effectively impossible to get a new job right now. If it wasn't for that I could probably be working again already. That's why it's a bit more inconvenient than it might otherwise seem.

its one fine day
12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
if you're any good at music, teach kids how to play your instrument. my drum teacher charges 10 for 30 mins but its definatly worth it coz he's an excellent drummer and teacher