PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Gallery

All About Eve
12-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Okay, so I've been hearing some hype about this totally awesome new progressive metal band, Shadow Gallery. Supposedly they're the next best thing in the industry since Dream Theater. So my friend got their newest cd, and sent me songs, which I will be uploading later for those interested. Here is my review on the little I've heard, but my friend says is consistent throughout the album.

Amazing vocals. None of them are as good as LaBrie, but the way they mix the different singing styles and voices is great. That's about as far as the ubercompliments go, however. The instrument playing is good, but nothing spectacular, expecially for the amazing subgenre that is progressive metal. Besides that, their instrumental parts of the songs are drawn out tremendously long, and lack enthusiasm. In my favorite, The Andromeda Strain, there is probably 30 seconds to a minute of good solid instrumentals. But besides that, there is atleast 3 or four minutes of boring instrumentals. And it's only 6:46 long.

Final verdict:
*7.5/10
*Not good to listen to if you're trying to get into something; better as a background if you're busy.

All About Eve
12-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Computer's being gay; song's won't be up until atleast tomorrow.

All About Eve
12-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Bumped, mainly for Jebus.

Sinister
12-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Ha, DT can't be beaten on their own field.

Jebus
12-12-2005, 08:19 PM
I heard this album a couple days ago but I have to give it another listen because I wasn't paying much attention before. I'll tell you what I think of it after I'm done.

Jebus
12-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I just listened to the whole thing. The album seriously sounds as if it should be a musical with dancing and all that fun stuff. I'd definitely pay to see that. I did love the vocals, specially in Manhunt. The vocals were probably the best aspect of the album. You were also right about the instrumentation. It was really lacking in something. Most of the instrumental breaks just sounded as if they could be regular rhythm parts to back up some singing. Dream Theater is somehow able to make instrumental breaks sound awesome even without the need of soloing. It's always quite interesting. Now this brings me to the soloing. The guitar player doesn't to seem to have his own style yet. The soloing sounded good but it didn't stand out much from any other average guitar player.

EDIT:This reminds me. Have you heard any of Legacy yet? I prefer that album to Room V. The instrumental breaks in this one pwn so much. Let me upload my favorite track(first track). It's actually the best song in terms of instrumentation IMHO so the rest the album felt like a letdown because it set such a high standard even though the other songs were good too
http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3O39GSGRK8SJ53I201315YNDX2

All About Eve
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Shadow Gallery definately have some potential, they just need to find their niche.