PDA

View Full Version : Roomsearch III

JoY
12-12-2005, 06:33 AM
I dread those days of obligatory boring internetz, when I either have projects to finish, or an apartment to look for. & for what? I have a perfectly good apartment, slightly tiny, slightly messy, but with the good company of my boyfriend. this is the story of the third search for an apartment. this time without a boyfriend, bigger would be nice & closer to the center of the city. the heart of Amsterdam. the core of teh big papple.

as I said to Sunny before; my boyfriend & I skipped a few chapters from the universal dating-manual. we started out already living together. curiosity has gotten the better of us & now our second step in our relationship is to move away from each other. twisted? very much so. & I can only hope I'll still get laid as much.

as the Amsterdamium 1337 knows I have one very disturbed roommate. his mother, however, is much much worse & she happens to be our house-owner. she actually keeps one room in our house locked & refuses to rent it, so she can possibly live there, when her husband & her devorce. coo-COO.
two of my other roommates are barely ever at home, don't ever clean, don't feel responsible for the house at all & frustration has piled up so much for my boyfriend & me, that our first reason to look for other apartments isn't even our curiosity of how it'd be to live without each other. (even though that plays its parts)

so now it's endless searches again on "kamernet.nl", a site which I thoroughly hate. I could just hang up a piece of paper, asking for a room, in supermarkets, but I know a friend who had mighty creepy experiences with that strategy. I could just ask around & see what my friends know & even though that's the best way to find a room around here, I'm rather clumsy at that. I somehow ALWAYS miss out on that kind of news.

what's the point I'm heading to? there isn't any. just.. university people, feel my pain. FEEL MY PAIN. I'm living in the wrong part of the city with the wrong people, doing the wrong stuff. I seriously need to get out of here. if only Amsterdam wasn't so bloody overcrowded.

if anyone can relate to any of this, even in the most sidetracking ways.. go ahead.

Tizzalicious
12-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Meh, that sucks. Hope you can find something soon! Finding houses In Holland is fucked up. Really fucked up.

They are building lots of new stuff in Amsterdam though, for students, but I think they have lists for it. One of my friends (well...friend...it's Joost) lives in one of those things. They are like blocks of...those permanent houses I think. But I guess being put on a waitinglist isn't very helpful.

wheelchairman
12-12-2005, 07:11 AM
oh I know the headache you face Bella. Copenhagen feels like Moscow in 1980. Although I won't be able to move out until Spring, at the most optimistic of summations.

JoY
12-12-2005, 08:08 AM
I don't really fancy waiting-lists. PLUS I'm one of those selective bitches that seriously NEEEEDS a studenthouse, or she'll die. yeah. tough case to crack.

JoY
12-12-2005, 09:19 AM
developments: (& I know no one is interested, except a -very- select few, & even then..)
I just got an e-mail from three girls, who invited me to their house-evening to see if I'd possibly fit in & be a good roommate. it's not much, but it's an actual development. we'll have to wait & see to find out if they like me, I like them & if I'm interested in the actual room.

development no. II: there are mice in my room. I have the most mouse-unfriendly room & there are mice here. I see them walking around, while I'm behind my computer, going from the central heating to my bed & back. & I'm coughing my lungs out with the dust my bedroomfloor has been collecting.

that's it, I'm moving to Sparta! (what an old joke. that I even remember it)

T-6005
12-12-2005, 09:25 AM
I hope you find a decent apartment. I know exactly what you mean about horrible housemates, though. I lived with my two best friends for about 3 months, and they were fine where I was concerned, but they had serious cleaning issues. Their mom would flip at them on a regular basis because they would absolutely never do anything to clean their respective rooms, let alone the common areas... and obviously this yelling would interrupt my quiet, peaceful study time. I honestly thought it'd be much better for me to leave, at one point - I loved living with my best friends, but the household tension was immense.

In the end, though, I did find myself reluctant to move out... even from some of the things I thought I'd hated. It's weird how it works that way.

Sunny
12-12-2005, 09:32 AM
i feel your pain, quite literally. it's the biggest bitch.. ever. now i feel the urge to rant :/ bear with me :/

Charlie and I are looking for an apartment here in NYC. we're not asking for much, really... we need something that has at least one bedroom.. spacious, bright. Near the subway, so we can get where we need to go. In Manhattan, cause other boroughs.. just no. And hopefully not ridiculously expensive.
LOL!
Basically everything we've come across is either a dirty, dark shoebox with no views or amenities... OR ANYTHING.. in a crapass building with cockroaches/ants.. or a luxurious apartment with everything you could possibly want for a price that makes us go O_O AHHH. Most Manhattan neighborhoods we like we CANNOT afford to live in. So, Financial District it is. Wall Street area.

the best we found SO FAR is a fucking STUDIO with home office for $3,000 a month. A MONTH. and they need us to guarantee that, yearly, we make at least 40x the rent. LOL AGAIN!
here's the actual building. www.crestnyc.com

so, IF WERE LUCKY, and this works out, we'll end up living in a tiny little studio, paying three fucking thousand dollars a month.. and in an area that's most likely to get blown up/attacked in some other way. i mean, Wall Street. jesus fuck.

so anyways, I need to stfu :P but i wish you the best of luck.. and i know what you're going through all too well.

big city apt hunting=the ultimate suck.

JoY
12-12-2005, 10:01 AM
arghskljga(&^#@

I totally completely relate to every word you said.

lookie, I can't afford over 350 euros per month. I'm little, I'm tiny, I don't need much & I'm a full-time student without a job, so I basically can afford a total of.. NOTHING.

all I basically ask for is something of 350 euros per month, or less, at least 12 m2 (which is the LEAST you could expect, come on) & two or more roommates. (they're to stabilise my dayrhythm, or else I'm fucked. besides, I just can't live alone)

what I don't want; pervy house-owners, saying they can give you a little discount for 'special services'. (GAH) rooms that look alright & considerable, still tiny, messy & in a rather criminal neighbourhood, & that are a shocking 450 PER MONTH. rooms without a contract, which you end up being kicked out of by the end of the month. (besides, I don't get government money to study, if I don't have a contract) rooms so tiny, I wonder if I could even stall HALF of my bed in there. (& believe me, they exist. I lived in one) living alone, like I said. (aww, company-animal!) living anywhere near Anton's natural habitat.

now, I'm not that difficult, am I? those demands aren't overdoing it, right?
THEN WHY CAN'T I FIND ANYFUCKINGTHING?!

(sorry for the fit)
kthnxbye.

Sunny
12-12-2005, 10:10 AM
see... Manhattan rents basically START at $1200. which is completely CRAZY.

and your demands are completely reasonable! bah. the whole thing is just ridiculous and insane and i will consider myself lucky if i get through this without ripping out all of my hair.

grrrrr@!#

T-6005
12-12-2005, 10:14 AM
see... Manhattan rents basically START at $1200. which is completely CRAZY.

and your demands are completely reasonable! bah. the whole thing is just ridiculous and insane and i will consider myself lucky if i get through this without ripping out all of my hair.

grrrrr@!#
That'd make for an interesting look.

JoY
12-12-2005, 10:21 AM
holy fuck, Mags. that's an insane amount of money. I mean, how is that even possible??!

Rag Doll
12-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Rent in my area also starts at around $1200/month for a "low income", dirty, critter infested, small apartment. I have no chance at moving out for quite some time.

Goddamn overly expensive NYC/NJ area =(

Back in Black
12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
^ your fat and ugly.

Tizzalicious
12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
^ your fat and ugly.

You can't spell and say things that aren't true. In other words: Shut up.

JoY
12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
^ your fat and ugly.
you might think so, but in the mean time men AND women line up for her.
why? because Sam is hot stuff.<3

& Sam; WHY are American prices so insane? are we talking about the same thing? a room??! just a freaking room to live in? (& shared shower & kitchen)

Nirushika6789
12-12-2005, 03:24 PM
^ your fat and ugly.
jealousy is an awful thing....

Sunny
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
& Sam; WHY are American prices so insane? are we talking about the same thing? a room??! just a freaking room to live in? (& shared shower & kitchen)

it's all about the location. i mean, hey, it's NYC. in like... Texas you can get a niiiiiiice 2 bedroom apartment in a cool location... with a pool, hot tub and gym access for $600 a freakin month.

but herrre, you have to spend at least $2000 to get something decent. ;[ ;[ ;[

JoY
12-13-2005, 04:30 AM
it's all about the location. i mean, hey, it's NYC. in like... Texas you can get a niiiiiiice 2 bedroom apartment in a cool location... with a pool, hot tub and gym access for $600 a freakin month.

but herrre, you have to spend at least $2000 to get something decent. ;[ ;[ ;[
that difference is just scary.

I don't get it. Amsterdam is like, the TOTAL hotspot of the Netherlands. it's not a students' city, it's supersupersuper overcrowded (especially with tourists) & yes, it IS more expensive than the rest of the Netherlands. but that still doesn't make an alright apartment over 450-500 per month. in the rest of the Netherlands, you can get rooms in studenthouses for less than 300 per month. & I'm talking big-ass rooms. about 25 m2. totally freaky, seeing I live in a 9m2 room for 310 euros per month.

meh. Amsterdam =/= New York. OBVIOUSLY.

& thanks for the support, Maria. your place sounds lovely. Toulouse is a great city anyway.

Sunny
12-13-2005, 06:59 AM
yah the price difference is nuts. i guess we're sort of talking about different things, though... because you're talking about renting a room and having roommates.. so you'd be paying for just the room and they'd be paying their part... and charlie and i looking into paying for the whole damn place.

bah. grr.