PDA

View Full Version : I had no idea...

ruroken
12-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with me, and this is what I've found out so far...
At least, it sounds related

Personality disorders are pervasive chronic psychological disorders, which can greatly affect a person's life. Having a personality disorder can negatively affect one's work, one's family, and one's social life. Personality disorders exists on a continuum so they can be mild to more severe in terms of how pervasive and to what extent a person exhibits the features of a particular personality disorder. While most people can live pretty normal lives with mild personality disorders (or more simply, personality traits), during times of increased stress or external pressures (work, family, a new relationship, etc.), the symptoms of the personality disorder will gain strength and begin to seriously interfere with their emotional and psychological functioning.

Those with a personality disorder possess several distinct psychological features including disturbances in self-image; ability to have successful interpersonal relationships; appropriateness of range of emotion, ways of perceiving themselves, others, and the world; and difficulty possessing proper impulse control. These disturbances come together to create a pervasive pattern of behavior and inner experience that is quite different from the norms of the individual's culture and that often tend to be expressed in behaviors that appear more dramatic than what society considers usual. Therefore, those with a personality disorder often experience conflicts with other people and vice-versa.

There are as many potential causes of personality disorders as there are people who suffer from them. They may be caused by a combination of parental upbringing, one's personality and social development, as well as genetic and biological factors. Research has not narrowed down the cause to any factor at this time. We do know, however, that these disorders will most often manifest themselves during increased times of stress and interpersonal difficulties in one's life. Therefore, treatment most often focuses on increasing one's coping mechanisms and interpersonal skills.

the_GoDdEsS
12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Hahaha, internet self-diagnosis. *laughs*

T-6005
12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Hypochondriac, are we?

ruroken
12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
A lot of this may be saying the EXACT same thing, but I'm trying to get a LOT of info

A person with a borderline personality disorder often experiences a repetitive pattern of disorganization and instability in self-image, mood, behavior and close personal relationships. This can cause significant distress or impairment in friendships and work. A person with this disorder can often be bright and intelligent, and appear warm, friendly and competent. They sometimes can maintain this appearance for a number of years until their defense structure crumbles, usually around a stressful situation like the breakup of a romantic relationship or the death of a parent.

Relationships with others are intense but stormy and unstable with marked shifts of feelings and difficulties in maintaining intimate, close connections. The person may manipulate others and often has difficulty with trusting others. There is also emotional instability with marked and frequent shifts to an empty lonely depression or to irritability and anxiety. There may be unpredictable and impulsive behavior which might include excessive spending, promiscuity, gambling, drug or alcohol abuse, shoplifting, overeating or physically self-damaging actions such as suicide gestures. The person may show inappropriate and intense anger or rage with temper tantrums, constant brooding and resentment, feelings of deprivation, and a loss of control or fear of loss of control over angry feelings. There are also identity disturbances with confusion and uncertainty about self-identity, sexuality, life goals and values, career choices, friendships. There is a deep-seated feeling that one is flawed, defective, damaged or bad in some way, with a tendency to go to extremes in thinking, feeling or behavior. Under extreme stress or in severe cases there can be brief psychotic episodes with loss of contact with reality or bizarre behavior or symptoms. Even in less severe instances, there is often significant disruption of relationships and work performance. The depression which accompanies this disorder can cause much suffering and can lead to serious suicide attempts.

Borderline personality: Persons with this personality disorder--predominantly women--are unstable in their self-image, mood, behavior, and interpersonal relationships. This personality disorder becomes evident in early adult years, but it tends to become milder or to stabilize with age. Such persons believe they were deprived of adequate care during their childhood and consequently feel empty, angry, and entitled to nurturance. As a result, they are relentless seekers of care. This personality disorder is by far the most common type seen in psychiatric and all other types of health care services.
When persons with a borderline personality feel cared for, they appear like lonely waifs, who seek help for depression, substance abuse, eating disorders, and past mistreatments. However, when they fear the loss of the caring person, their mood shifts dramatically and is frequently expressed as inappropriate and intense anger. The shift in mood is accompanied by extreme changes in their view of the world, themselves, and others--from black to white, from hated to loved, or vice versa (see splitting in Table 191-1). Their view is never neutral. When they feel abandoned (ie, all alone), they dissociate or become desperately impulsive. At times, their concept of reality is so poor that they have brief episodes of psychotic thinking, such as paranoid ideas and hallucinations.
Such persons have far more dramatic and intense interpersonal relationships than those with cluster A personality disorders. Their thought processes are disturbed more than those of persons with an antisocial personality, and aggression is more often turned against the self. They are more angry, more impulsive, and more confused about identity than those with a histrionic personality. They tend to evoke intense, initially nurturant responses in caretakers. But after repeated crises, vague unfounded complaints, and failures to comply with therapeutic recommendations, caretakers--including the physician--often become very frustrated with them and view them as help-rejecting complainers. Splitting, acting out, hypochondriasis, and projection are common coping mechanisms

Passive-aggressive (negativistic) personality: Persons with this personality disorder typically appear inept or passive, but these behaviors are covertly designed to avoid responsibility or to control or punish others. Passive-aggressive behavior is often evident in procrastination, inefficiency, or unrealistic protests of disability. Frequently, such persons agree to perform tasks they do not want to perform and then subtly undermine completion of the tasks. Such behavior usually serves to deny or conceal hostility or disagreements.

While a person with depression or bipolar disorder typically endures the same mood for weeks, a person with BPD may experience intense bouts of anger, depression and anxiety that may last only hours, or at most a day. These may be associated with episodes of impulsive aggression, self-injury including cutting, and drug or alcohol abuse. Distortions in cognition and sense of self can lead to frequent changes in long-term goals, career plans, jobs, friendships, gender identity, and values. Sometimes people with BPD view themselves as fundamentally bad, or unworthy. They may feel unfairly misunderstood or mistreated, bored, empty, and have little idea who they are. Such symptoms are most acute when people with BPD feel isolated and lacking in social support, and may result in frantic efforts to avoid being alone.
People with BPD often have highly unstable patterns of social relationships. While they can develop intense but stormy attachments, their attitudes towards family, friends, and loved ones may suddenly shift from idealization (great admiration and love) to devaluation (intense anger and dislike). Thus, they may form an immediate attachment and idealize the other person, but when a slight separation or conflict occurs, they switch unexpectedly to the other extreme and angrily accuse the other person of not caring for them at all. Even with family members, individuals with BPD are highly sensitive to rejection, reacting with anger and distress to such mild separations as a vacation, a business trip, or a sudden change in plans. These fears of abandonment seem to be related to difficulties feeling emotionally connected to important persons when they are physically absent, leaving the individual with BPD feeling lost and perhaps worthless. Suicide threats and attempts may occur along with anger at perceived abandonment and disappointments.

T-6005
12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
How are you arriving at the conclusion that you have a personality disorder? If you don't know that for a fact, it's easy to spot symptoms and characteristics of a condition and thinking that you have them.

That doesn't make it true, though.

the_GoDdEsS
12-12-2005, 01:55 PM
In every diagnosis you might find something that applies on you, usually. That doesn't mean you have it. They're just too general so it's easy to attribute it to yourself. I knew you'd come with the borderline shit since everyone seems to think they have that. But the symptoms are usually just you being a stupid emo teenager, that's all.

ruroken
12-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Just so you know, I'm not reading replies yet.

Passive-aggressive behavior refers to passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to authoritative instructions in interpersonal or occupational situations. Sometimes a method of dealing with stress or frustration, it results in the person attacking other people in subtle, indirect, and seemingly passive ways. It can manifest itself as resentment, stubbornness, procrastination, sullenness, or intentional failure at doing requested tasks. For example, someone who is passive-aggressive might take so long to get ready for a party they don't wish to attend that the party is nearly over by the time they arrive.

Someone who is passive-aggressive will typically not confront others directly about problems, but instead will attempt to undermine their confidence or their success through comments and actions which, if challenged, can be explained away innocently so as not to place blame on the passive-aggressive person.

Some passive-aggressive behavior may result from society's conditioning of individuals; direct confrontation can lead to harmful consequences. For example, confronting one's manager may lead to the loss of opportunities, such as being passed over for a promotion or even losing one's job.

Often passive-aggressive behavior manifests itself in individuals who view themselves as "peaceful". These individuals feel that expressing their anger through passive-aggressive behavior is morally favorable to direct confrontation.

The lack of repercussions resulting from passive-aggressive behavior can lead to an unchecked continual attack, albeit passive, on one's acquaintances.

the_GoDdEsS
12-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Stop it, no one's gonna read this shit.

Nirushika6789
12-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Stop it, no one's gonna read this shit.
Exactly...really no one cares about your cries for help

Nirushika6789
12-12-2005, 02:08 PM
he 's crying for help?

didn't notice; cry louder, ruro.
He's either crying for help or attention
not sure which one though

T-6005
12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Attention, definitely - there was no reason to post this up on the BBS.

coke_a_holic
12-12-2005, 02:49 PM
"hey guys, I found a reason as to why I'm whiny all the time! Looks like it's not that I'm an asshole, it's that I have a disease that MAKES me an asshole! HA!" Yeah, that's what you sound like, ruro.

arak0r
12-12-2005, 02:54 PM
these days everyone has some kind of "mental disease" to blame all their problems on. its convenient isnt it?

0r4ng3
12-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Ruroken, you're perfecly normal & the only disorder is here *points to brain*
That's what he's trying to say. No, really, where else could he be talking about?

ruroken
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Actually, I was storing it all in a place that I would have access to at home.

Also, ALL of it, or ALL EXCEPT ONE THING apply to me.

T-6005
12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Actually, I was storing it all in a place that I would have access to at home.

Also, ALL of it, or ALL EXCEPT ONE THING apply to me.
Ruroken, you have your email address in your profile. You could probably have saved yourself some time by emailing it to yourself. So I'm having trouble believing you put it here to STORE it.

ruroken
12-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I never check my email, and quite frankly, I forgot it was so close.

Conspiracy of One
12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
cry louder, ruro.
Don't encourage him, please.

0r4ng3
12-12-2005, 03:52 PM
*cracks head on keyboard laughing so hard*I think I'm missing something here.

ruroken
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
I know that a disease isn't a good reason to blame things on, and I'm not trying to blame my asshole-nature on it. IM AN ASSHOLE. But, I can find out why. Or at least, I hope I can...

Conspiracy of One
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I think I'm missing something here.
Her perverted mind has twisted "disability" into "physical disability" in other words " not enough fruit in the loom."

0r4ng3
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
So, basically, I do know what I'm talking about.