PDA

View Full Version : Per On The Subject of Upbringing

wheelchairman
12-15-2005, 08:16 AM
lolz wcm philosophizes.

warning long.

and translated from the original.

Assignment 3: Write an essay about upbringing, where you define your opinion on the viewpoints raised in texts 3,4, and 5. Give your essay a title. (Texts 3, 4, and 5 are referred to.)

Title: I am Poorly Raised (language note: translated from uopdraget, which is the opposite of opdraget, which means raised. so unraised. but translates as poorly raised.)

Upbringing. To bring up. Where are we bringing our children? Up to some place. Maybe it was correct when the word was first formulated. Are we bringing our children to a higher level? Can you call it that? No, so could we say that we are downbringing the younger generation? But that would mean that we've put a social-value on the younger generation. So we can't say that we are down-bringing them. Because we still don't know where we want them brought. Where is down? No, we just bring them. To a forest so they can be lost, like Hansel and Gretel of the Brother's Grimm stories. It's not like we have a place for them. They are just lost. Who wants to raise an accountant? I would call that a downbringing. Society has a lacking level of ambition, because the final goal for our children is a monotonous job, where they can sit and hate themselves. Just like their fathers, and their father's fathers. How dare we call it upbringing.

It was an Englishman, A.S. Niell who said "We are so busy with preparing the child for society, that we haven't had the time to prepare society for the child." (text 5). That was said 70 years ago, but it couldn't be more correct. I never want a son who wants to be an "Events Manager" in a hotel. That would be the disappointment of my life. That my son should do something so meaningless, irrelevant, and petite. Our generation is lost, just like the generation we will birth. There isn't place for our children in society, but there is too much space reserved in our children for society.

Where are our children going? They aren't going to the top. They won't be society's elite, there isn't enough space up there for all the children. And there certainly isn't a bottom layer anymore. There isn't space in the working class anymore, not in the western society. If they want they can become Polish, then they can be plumbers. (reference to the EU constitution, debate, just so all you North Americans can follow that logic.) Otherwise there is only one class, one sector, where there is enough space. The service sector. We have a one way ticket to serve. There isn't pride in the product of our labor, when our labor cosists of raising the company's economic growth. It's actually rather good that we have such a high ratio of cellphones to people in our society, when we will all need to call each other so that we can sell something.

500 years ago Martin Luther claimed that children should be happy because they have been able to find Lords and Ladies, to tell them what they can and can't do. (Text 4) Were we happy for that? I don't think so, and now we have another type of lord, namely our Bank Advisor, and our boss. (Text 3, reference to a Danish political writer.) Jette Hansen is completely right about that. Our bank advisors are our new lords, new fathers. They have the executive power in our society. But they are just like us, trapped in the service sector's eternal boredom. They are like us, their identity is their work, and that makes them hate themselves, just like us. They do a distasteful job to increase the banks return on investment. The boss, that's the guy we think we hate. But really, he is just a middle manager, who is fighting a war on two fronts. On the one hand he has to make his subordinates happy and productive. But he also needs to prove that he is productive and irreplaceable to his superiors. He is of a slightly higher rank, and he hates himself slightly more. And he is the one who knows true loneliness.

Do you see now, where we are bringing our children? Is it really up? I think we now understand their rebellious attitudes. Even rebellion has become an irreplaceable part of society. Because we have of course made place for our rebels! They are the new consumers! With Che Guevara, Punk Rock, and Satanism as our fashion icons, we can look well-produced while we take power from the Bourgeois and establish a new society. Do you now understand what it means to be completely desperate? That even the rebels against society have become profitable. There is literally only a three letter difference from profit to prophet. Desperate. Yeah there is no place for rebels, but we have finally gotten rid of society and it's place reserved inside us, yeah because we are now renting it out to desperateness. It's a matter of either/or.

Our children, where are they going? Up or down from where they start? They have a reserved seat as a kind of self-despising manager in our consumer society. Welcome to the new world my dear son. One thing is certain, my son and I, we will be the most unproductive people ever. If he shall honor me, then he shouldn't do anything that benefits anyone other than himself. And that would be the most altruistic action he could ever do. We have to make place for us, and others like us. Society just seems inchangeable, only because it hasn't changed in our lifetime, but that's just a really small perspective. I will be upbrought. I will be brought up. And to make place for me, I am quite alright with not benefitting anyone else but myself. For who's done anything to benefit me? Who's made space for me? I was forgotten. My generation was forgotten. Yours was too. Did you ever notice?

Our society is inhuman, even while I write this essay, there wasn't place for me. In the middle, a lady came to me and said that one shouldn't listen to music. Think about it. Why not? Will music help me make an extremely good analysis? When I listen to music do I get new abilities in the Danish language? No, I don't. I am still raised American, I still can't figure out word placement or syntax. The only thing music would've done was cheered me up a bit. But no, in a midterm, there isn't place for me. There is only place for the mechanical essay writing that shows the product of the modern pedagogue, which they've worked so hard for. And that's not their faults. They are like my father, they are my lords. They are surrounded by people younger than them, who won't even listen to their wisdom anymore. Do I know what it is to be desperate? Absolutely not, I've never experienced it.

Dear reader. Do you have children? Do you understand them a little better now? Do you understand yourself? Or do you hae an interest in preserving the current system so that you won't go insane? I can understand that. You have children, to change something is to risk making things worse. And life isn't that bad. You thought. But what do your children thing? What would they think? Has a child ever said 'when I grow up, I want to be an accountant. When I grow up I want to be a hotel manager!' Could you imagine that? I am heart broken. My dream was to be a paleontologist. I loved dinosaurs. I don't even think of them anymore. I haven't done that in years. What should I be? I don't know, and I prefer it that way! I want to be a professor, but only because I don't want to work. I don't want to be productive. I am my only product. And I'll never sell that.

I've just found out that you can't stand up during the midterm. What can you do? If I can't stand on my own legs, how will I ever walk away? Well the answer is quite irrelevant. Sometimes in society you have to crawl. Back to the form of transportation you used when you couldn't walk. Before you were brought up. We live in an endless circle. And end like we started. We started with absolutely no product. And that's how we end. Old, useless, and not capable of doing anything. And what's wrong with that? At least everything you did benefitted yourself.

Poorly raised (uopdragent, unupbrought) should be a positive adjective. That's what I want to be. And how do I define myself? I don't know. Most people just mention their professions, or their marital status. That's just a step above profession. But it's not really a definition in an of itself, but a definition of yourself in relation to another. Who am I? Could I call myself a nihilist? But nihil sanctum est. And I think I'm pretty holy. I am a prophet. I am a contradiction to profit. Or I want to be, that's my goal. Can a goal be a definition of self? I want to be completely unproductive.

BATWT
12-15-2005, 08:37 AM
What score did you get for that?

edit: nice one, i enjoyed it

wheelchairman
12-15-2005, 08:41 AM
I wrote it yesterday, so no score yet. It'll be a while.

BATWT
12-15-2005, 10:14 AM
interested to see what they think of your 7th paragraph

wheelchairman
12-15-2005, 10:17 AM
The person monitoring the test-takers told me I couldn't listen to music. I'm pretty sure that's not a rule. But either way it bothered me.

BATWT
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
they used to do the same for exams at my old school; who is going to be desperate/ingenius enough to record their notes to playback during the exam*?

maybe it's due to it could bother other people if they could hear it?

*actually, i did consider that once, but it'll be a bugger to plan out and record

wheelchairman
12-15-2005, 10:21 AM
The thing is, it's a literature exam based on how good you are at analysis. So there are literally no notes you can have. Or well thousands upon thousands upon thousands.

God I hate literature exams. That's why I chose the one essay question that did not require analysis.

BATWT
12-15-2005, 10:23 AM
and that question also allowed for a nice little rant about the class system and ambition.

do you remember the other questions?

wheelchairman
12-15-2005, 10:25 AM
yeah a little bit,

one was a story by Hans Christian Andersen where you had to analyse it and then write about the relevance of Hans Christian Andersen on our generation and life styles.

Another was an article on the bombings in Madrid, and you have to analyse the way the article was written, and the effects attended on the reader, as well as ordinary article analysis.

and then there was a poem I didn't read.

and a short story with an advertisement that needed a relevance comparison, didn't read that either though.

And the rant was pretty much pre-planned. But yeah I was happy for the option. Most definitely.

BATWT
12-15-2005, 10:28 AM
yes, you chose the right one there

killer_queen
12-15-2005, 10:37 AM
This is pretty good. I'm going to show this to my mom, maybe she can change her mind a little. She always tells me she's wasting all her life to bring me to the highest class.

Little_Miss_1565
12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
What, you hate literature exams? I love them! You can BS your way through ANYTHING with a little close-reading!

wheelchairman
12-15-2005, 01:42 PM
The Danish educational system focuses on literature analysis from a very early age. Something I never cared about or for, growing up in America. I'm thrown into something, which will never be explained to me, and expected to be as good as everyone else. I'm a little bitter about it. I love literature myself, Fight Club is a great book, and I'm a fan of Jack London. However, I don't think the color red means that Jack and Jill had sex, nor do I particularly care.

Killer Queen, do. She won't agree with it. But at least she'll know.

JoY
12-16-2005, 06:00 PM
one was a story by Hans Christian Andersen where you had to analyse it and then write about the relevance of Hans Christian Andersen on our generation and life styles.

oh, the bittersweet memories. sweet, involving Nils Holgersson, bitter, involving my brother, who kept replacing the bookmark every night after my mother had read me from it.

wheelchairman
01-08-2006, 04:53 PM
My grade was a 10. Which is like the American A-. It's a very good Danish grade, and the best I've recieved in the class Danish Lit, in all my 5 years of living here.

It would've been higher if I was more fluent in the language.

Andy
01-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Excellent, that's a pretty damn good score considering you spent a paragraph insulting the examining rules! It was a well deserved result though.

T-6005
01-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I liked the essay.

wheelchairman
01-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Andy, yeah I must say I was surprised. I thought even if they did like it I would get a grade lower as my highest. I was floored when I saw this.

Thibault, thank you. :)

T-6005
01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
You're quite welcome - I must say I especially enjoyed the part about wanting to be unproductive. I can completely relate.

wheelchairman
01-08-2006, 05:14 PM
ack yeah. That's a topic that concerns my thoughts quite often. hah sometimes I don't want to be productive but destructive. Just out of spite. On a sidewalk I cross slower when their is a fancy car waiting.

T-6005
01-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm not quite that hardcore. I'd rather sit there and exist.

Although I have ended up running across the tops of cars, it wasn't because of my conscious decision to be destructive. More of an escape mechanism coupled with "How cool am I?"

wheelchairman
01-08-2006, 05:51 PM
It's not like I'm doing anything illegal. I'm just making them wait longer than usual.

I once jumped on a car to make the alarm go off. But that was more alcohol than anything else. God I love New Years.

T-6005
01-08-2006, 05:54 PM
I haven't had a really good New Year's in 2 years. Although only if your definition of a good New Year's is being carried unconscious halfway across Tokyo by a friend on his first visit to the place.

Then a year ago sucked ass. Lots of crying. But lots of sex.

Then this year... I sat and got drunk. And probably posted on the BBS.

There's some sort of trend here.