PDA

View Full Version : Death Cab for Cutie, "Soul Meets Body"

Little_Miss_1565
12-16-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm fucking obsessed with this song. So fucking gorgeous. <3 CHRIS WALLA.

Streaming at http://www.myspace.com/deathcabforcutie

original_prankster
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
They're a GOOD version of Coldplay. I like them, and they're pretty good live, too, judging from the performance I saw on TV.

Rag Doll
12-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I love that song. I've liked Death Cab for a really long time now...they're awesome =D

Little_Miss_1565
12-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Coldplay what? Are you tripping?

Pop does not equal Coldplay.

All About Eve
12-16-2005, 03:02 PM
The so stole that keyboard thing at the end from REM. They're basically modern easylistening + REM. Not bad, just not spectacular. I like the verses in Soul Meets Body; chorus sucks though.

Betty
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't really call them a version of anything... and certainly not Coldplay.

But yeah, my housemate burned that CD for me, and I fell in love with Soul Meets Body the most of all. I adore it. I didn't even realize it was like, the single, I guess, until I was perusing their My Space one night.

Anyway, thumbs up to that.

Little_Miss_1565
12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
chorus sucks though.

Really? The chorus is what gets stuck in my head for days and days and days. All the time, I'm like "ba-da ba-da da-da, ba-da ba ba ba-da-da-da"...

All About Eve
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Really? The chorus is what gets stuck in my head for days and days and days. All the time, I'm like "ba-da ba-da da-da, ba-da ba ba ba-da-da-da"...

How can you not remember the chorus? It's just "when soul meets body" over and over to a random and icky tune.

Betty
12-16-2005, 06:05 PM
.... trying to judge seriousness of above response ....

Little_Miss_1565
12-16-2005, 06:07 PM
How can you not remember the chorus? It's just "when soul meets body" over and over to a random and icky tune.

The first time the chorus comes up, it's the melody sung with just "ba-da ba da ba ba," etc. Then the second time, it's "I do believe it's true / That there are holes left in both of our shoes / And if the silence takes you then I hope it takes me too / So brown eyes, I hold you near / 'Cause you're the only song I want to hear / A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere."

The part you're referring to is the bridge, I think.

All About Eve
12-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Oh whoops, I've only heard it a few times, and that's the only part I recognized repeating. The part you're talking about is pretty good though.

original_prankster
12-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Coldplay what? Are you tripping?

Pop does not equal Coldplay.
That "Soul Meets Body" song makes me think of Coldplay. I don't know WHY, but it does.

The first time the chorus comes up, it's the melody sung with just "ba-da ba da ba ba," etc. Then the second time, it's "I do believe it's true / That there are holes left in both of our shoes / And if the silence takes you then I hope it takes me too / So brown eyes, I hold you near / 'Cause you're the only song I want to hear / A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere."

The part you're referring to is the bridge, I think.
*waits for a random punk rock purist to shout "EMO!"*

All About Eve
12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Too bad it's nothing like emo...

original_prankster
12-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I know. But when one of the many punk purists here reads those lyrics, that's probably what they're gonna say.

WebDudette
05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I know this thread is ancient and that there are more recent ones but this one mentions Soul Meets Body.

Since I heard the new Death Cab single I have been pretty much infatuated with it. But unfortunately I didn't like much else of that albums.

I picked up Plans though and oh. my. god. it has some phenomenal songs. I've probably listened to 'Soul Meets Body' and 'I Will Follow You Into the Darkness' at least 10 times each since last night.

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
New Death Cab is rad, but Plans > Narrow Stairs f'sho.

WebDudette
05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I've only listened to the new album once or twice. Music like Death Cab is new to me and will probably take some time to grow on me. I'll check the album out again in a little bit.

Rag Doll
05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
i don't have narrow stairs and this pains my heart. i had it, bought it on iTunes, and my hard drive died. argh.

i one day wrote out the chorus to *soul meets body* and left it on my boyfriend's windshield for him to find. i'm a nerdy romantic like that.

but that song and *i will follow you into the dark* are some of the most beautiful songs ever. forserious.

randman21
05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
but that song and *i will follow you into the dark* are some of the most beautiful songs ever. forserious.
I'm far from being a Death Cab fan, but I've had a few sleepless nights, haunted by that song. The only word that describes it is "yes".

EDIT: "That song" being "I Will Follow You Into The Dark".

Jakebert
05-23-2008, 02:03 PM
I like Death Cab, but I don't think they've ever released a truly solid album. All of their albums have a few really, really good songs surrounded by some okay songs and some pure filler.

The new single is really good, but I found Narrow Stairs to be disappointing.

WebDudette
05-24-2008, 05:50 PM
'Soul Meets Body', 'I Will Follow You Into the Dark', or 'Someday You Will be Loved'. I can't decide which I like most all phenomenal songs.

I do agree though Jakebert, they have a lot of weak tracks.

Is Photoalbum any good?

Llamas
05-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I can't seem to get into Death Cab... but I really love Postal Service. I can't help but feel like Postal Service is his real band, and Death Cab is his attempt for mainstream success. I know it's probably not a realistic view, but it's just what I imagine.

opivy21
05-24-2008, 08:59 PM
In a sleepy glance I thought this title said something like "Death Cab for Cutie meets Soulja Boy", and I foolishly expected an interesting collaboration.

Endymion
05-24-2008, 09:33 PM
In a sleepy glance I thought this title said something like "Death Cab for Cutie meets Soulja Boy", and I foolishly expected an interesting collaboration.

oh good, it wasn't just me.

Jakebert
05-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Is Photoalbum any good?

Out of the Death Cab albums that I've heard, I'd put it this way:

Something About Airplanes- one of the most overrated indie rock albums of the last like 20 years. Generic radio rock, but with low-fi production.

We Have The Facts, and We're Voting Yes- Decent, but has a lot of forgettable stuff on it. Has an interesting mood to it though.

The Photo Album- One of the worst albums they've done. The songs are repetative and go on too long, and even though I've listened to it dozens of times, I can barely remember a single song from it. I'd shy away from it unless you're a big fan.

Transatlantacism- Probably their strongest album. The first half is excellent, but it loses steam in the second half and leads way to some more songs that go on longer than they need to.

Plans- Walks the line between being really good pop music and really bad pop music. Some strong stuff, but once again, a pretty bland second half. I don't think Death Cab know how to keep steam running throughout an entire album.

Narrow Stairs- It has some interesting experiments here and there, but most fail. It seems like they're either trying too hard to shake off the stigma that Plans left them, or sounds like they're treading water.

The Postal Service- Give Up- The best thing Ben Gibbard has ever done.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Haven't heard the new album, but I've heard all of Transatlanticism and Plans. Soul Meets Body and We Looked Like Giants are both phenomenal songs. Unfortunately though they were the only two I really cared to listen to again.