PDA

View Full Version : What's your name?

Rocky-girl
12-21-2005, 03:28 AM
What's your name? Do you know why your parents gave it to you?

H1T_That
12-21-2005, 03:32 AM
steven...

i dont know why i was called it though.

Liesbeth
12-21-2005, 03:55 AM
^^My name is Liesbeth.
My father wanted to name me Lies, but my mother thought that name was too short, so they added a 'beth'. That's the amazing story behind my name. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

Idiot
12-21-2005, 04:00 AM
If you hadn't guessed by my signature - my name is Joe. No idea why they chose that, probably because they knew I was going to be average.

JoY
12-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Isabella, full Isabella Elisabeth. it's my mother's name, my grandmother's name, her mother's name, her mother's name.. let's just state it runs in the family. I'm honoured to carry it.

Liesbeth
12-21-2005, 04:13 AM
Isabella, full Isabella Elisabeth. it's my mother's name, my grandmother's name, her mother's name, her mother's name.. let's just state it runs in the family. I'm honoured to carry it.

Elisabeth is a nice name :)

Rocky-girl
12-21-2005, 04:17 AM
I think this 2 names are both nice. And it's so pretty and may be romantic to have a family name. Just like princess. I like it.

BATWT
12-21-2005, 04:20 AM
My parents met on a conservation expedition through the African rainforest in a bid to help promote awareness to the Pygmy Hippopotamus. On a particularily long and arduous trek through a very dense part of swamp, a member of their team who they had got to know very well tripped on a piece of broken log and was set upon by a 10" crocodile. My parents of course ran to his aid and tirelessly wrestled the croc, but the reptiles power was just too much for their humble human strengths. The last thing this man said before he was dragged to his grisly death was, "Do me this great honour, as my dying wish, and name your child Andrew, after me". Exactly on that last word, the croc regained its strength and swam off, never to be seen again. 7 months later, my mother fell pregnant with a baby boy (me), whose name from then forth was Andrew.

And that's how I got my name

Tizzalicious
12-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Maartje...this newreader in Holland is called Maartje, and my dad thought she was a nice girl (now she's old, and not so pretty), and they obviously liked the name. The annoying thing is that everyone always mentions the newsreader when they hear my name. Like there aren't any other Maartjes out there.

ninthlayer
12-21-2005, 04:24 AM
Sean (it's monosyllabic, fuck you)

Reason? My parents were too lazy to think of both a male and a female name. Had I been born with a gash my name would still be Sean.

I like it though.

wheelchairman
12-21-2005, 04:29 AM
My story is scarily similar to Maartje's. My parents were watching the news, and then the credit's rolled by and the name Per came up, and they both liked it. The problem is, my name is about two generations too old for me. It's an old person's name here.

Per is the danish-isation of the name Peter. The Apostle that was second closest to Jesus, and the founder of the first church. The intellectual founder of Christianity. The name means Rock and this came about because Jesus said to Peter "you are my rock, because you are faithful and steady." A form of Peter exists in ever language from the English Peter, to the Danish Per, to the French Pierre, to the Spanish Pedro, to the Russian Pyotr etc. etc.

I've come to like my name.

ninthlayer
12-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Your name is impossible to pronounce, and I have no idea why.

wheelchairman
12-21-2005, 04:39 AM
Sean (it's monosyllabic, fuck you)

Reason? My parents were too lazy to think of both a male and a female name. Had I been born with a gash my name would still be Sean.

I like it though.Tell them about your last name!

ninthlayer
12-21-2005, 04:39 AM
No, fuck my last name. I wasn't even born with it. I refuse it.

Liesbeth
12-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Maartje...this newreader in Holland is called Maartje, and my dad thought she was a nice girl (now she's old, and not so pretty), and they obviously liked the name. The annoying thing is that everyone always mentions the newsreader when they hear my name. Like there aren't any other Maartjes out there.

Are you talking about Maartje van Weegen? :)

Mentally_Challenged
12-21-2005, 04:51 AM
Lucy. My dad mum wanted me to be called Isabelle, but dad said i'd teased.

Apparently, i'd be called Isabelle on a bike. har har har.

So they called me Lucy instead.

Tizzalicious
12-21-2005, 05:02 AM
Are you talking about Maartje van Weegen? :)

Yupz! And everytimes someone hears my name they go: "Maartje van Weegen!"

Well no, my name isn't Van Weegen. Grrr.

And Per, your name sucks. "What's your boyfriends name?" "Errr...well...I can't pronounce it"

:(

BATWT
12-21-2005, 05:03 AM
How difficult can it be to pronounce "Per"? Surely it's just um ... P-e-r? How's it meant to be pronounced?

Tizzalicious
12-21-2005, 05:04 AM
How difficult can it be to pronounce "Per"? Surely it's just um ... P-e-r? How's it meant to be pronounced?

Well...not like that!

BATWT
12-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Well...not like that!

Righto :confused:

wheelchairman
12-21-2005, 05:08 AM
No it's because the danish language has a different set of sounds.

But fuck I can't pronounce her name the Dutch way either, it just doesn't bother me.

Tizzalicious
12-21-2005, 05:09 AM
You are a lot better with my name than I'm with yours! And you call me Tizz anyway, you cheat.

Sinister
12-21-2005, 05:15 AM
I'm Simon. dunno why.

TheHulaChick
12-21-2005, 05:25 AM
My name's Verity. I think my mum heard it somewhere and just loved the sound of it. It's from the latin word veritas so it means truth. I love it.

killer_queen
12-21-2005, 05:48 AM
. Yeah, I know, all my names totally suck. was my grand-grand mother's name. , I don't know, I guess one of relatives of my mom called .

Rocky-girl
12-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Verity, cool. I like it too. And your name Tizz doesn't remind me anything.

0r4ng3
12-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Mine is Jesse. I don't know how I got the name. The only trivia I know about my name is that my dad wanted my middle name to be James, but my mom decided against it.

wheelchairman
12-21-2005, 06:03 AM
My name means Rock. I don't see the problem.

killer_queen
12-21-2005, 06:09 AM
People find mines funny. Especially my last name.

Rocky-girl
12-21-2005, 06:11 AM
My name translated from Greek like girl who arrange.

TheHulaChick
12-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Verity, cool. I like it too. And your name Tizz doesn't remind me anything.
Thankyou =)

Rocky-girl
12-21-2005, 06:37 AM
But, really I think that no matter what's your name, good or bad, if you are good person name doesn't matter! :D

adRi
12-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Adriana, and I've never wondered why...

Rag Doll
12-21-2005, 07:16 AM
First Name: Samantha. My mom named me that after the main character in the tv show Bewitched.

Middle Name: Ann. It's also my grandma's middle name...and my mom's middle name. They both hate it, yet they continue to pass it on to the next generation. I refuse to continue the trend!

Punky Dudess
12-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Sophie. I was going to be named Jenna but I prefer Sophie because it signifies ~~~holy wisdom~~~

SkyRocker
12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Florens but everybody call me Flo. It's not very used as a first name by now ( the real one is Florent ). Anyway, it has something to do with flowers and a lot of sweet things...

femme_fatale
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Valentina....my great grandma had the same name

the_GoDdEsS
12-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Simona. I don't know where Mum heard it but in 1982 almost no Simonas existed in the whole country. So I've been extremely rare and special for years. I still don't know any other Simona. (And don't want to.)

Tired_Of_You
12-21-2005, 10:03 AM
My name is Valrie (I don't have a middle name). Apparently, it's because of my father. I suppose it's because he liked that name, like 4 534 689 758 other parents. I don't hate my name, it's just too common. I hate my last name, though. It's not original as well and ugly. =(

JoY
12-21-2005, 10:10 AM
I can assure you you need a double-twisted tongue to pronounce that name entirely correctly.

wheelchairman
12-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Simona. I don't know where Mum heard it but in 1982 almost no Simonas existed in the whole country. So I've been extremely rare and special for years. I still don't know any other Simona. (And don't want to.)
There's a bearded Indian lady in my school named Simona. I hate her intensely.

the_GoDdEsS
12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Hahaha, Per. =( That sucks.

Oooh, and I wanna keep my last name even if I get married. It just sounds good together. I'd rather have two last names.

JoY
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Elisabeth is a nice name :)
haha, you'd say so. it's almost your name! either way, Els(je), Elsbeth, Liesbeth, Isabel(-la/-le) are all different versions of one & the same name; Elisabeth. so yes, when you look at it.. my parents gave me the same name twice.

Rocky-girl - thank you. =) that's exactly why I like it too. I like the names, but I especially like it that I got to get the names from the wonderful women that made my existence possible. besides the fact that I have a fantastic mother & grandmother, it's just a nice tradition too.

JoY
12-21-2005, 10:21 AM
when my mother named me Isabella, there hardly was anyone around with that name either. not like she wouldn't have given it to me, if there had been a lot of people called Isabella... it just seemed a rather rare name in those days. there was one violiniste around, called Isabelle, & she gave a huge concert on the day I was born. so as a present, a friend of my mother gave my parents a painting (she paints) of flowers, that in Dutch are called "little violins".

when my mother announced that I'd be called Isabella, people joked & said; "she better be beautiful, or else she'll have to change her name." my mom never cared about that. I'd be her little Bella anyway.

wheelchairman
12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I can assure you you need a double-twisted tongue to pronounce that name entirely correctly.
lawlz wait till you experience it in real life. ;)

And Simona, I think your name is just very Germanic, you wanna-be aryan. (lawlz u n jenny r slavs who want 2 b ryans.

the_GoDdEsS
12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Shuddap, I'll breed Slavryans sum day. So at least my children are half-pure :(

XYlophonetreeZ
12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
First Name: Samantha. My mom named me that after the main character in the tv show Bewitched.
My name was gonna be Samantha if I had been a chick.

My first name is Jonathan, middle name Michael. Absolutely no story behind it.

Izie
12-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Oooh, and I wanna keep my last name even if I get married. It just sounds good together. I'd rather have two last names.

I agree with this. My name + my lastname = luv 4 lyfe!

And I'm Ivana. And no one can pronounce that properly either... except Serbs, everyone else pronounces it the russian way and makes it sound teh gayz :(

Why? My mom's best friend's kid's name is Ivan. But I'm way cooler.

platinumpt
12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Mine's Rui. What's your name rocky-girl? I didn't see it throughout the thread...

Per doesn't sound any hard at all to pronounce :confused:

the_offsprings_monkey
12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
My name is Ashley.

Anya82
12-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Mine:Ana Cecilia

Ana: Means "full of grace". my mom chose it cause my grandma's name was Ana Maria.
Cecilia: Means "blind". my dad chose it just because he likes it. And my mom's name is Cecilia too.

I like my name and what it means, but I hate the fact that Ana is the MOST common name in Spanish. And Cecilia is not THAT common, I like it better, cause it sounds cute.

Mannen som blev en gris
12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Aww... Edwin is cute. In a non-gay way. But you really don't look like one... And those other names... wtf?

My name is Martin. I like it, because it means war hero or something :cool:

edit: and it's not hard to pronounce Per! Or do you danish people add a bunch of "schgh"s? Pchegscjr... that seems hard. But I think it's pronounced just like the swedish version.

Yatesy
12-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Name: David
Why?: Dunno, guess they just liked it.

Oh, my middle name is Jonathon, again dunno why.

Tired_Of_You
12-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I got the worst full name ever. Get ready for this.

Edwin Alvarenga and my middle name is Adonay.Adonay! I can't believe it. I think it's the English for the French "Adonai". I never met anyone with that name... it was actually the name of my great grand-father. By the way, how do you pronouce it?
Anyway, your name is okay.

Jebus
12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I have nothing against my first name but it's the rest that bothers me.

It's pronounced A(the way you pronounce the a in apple)-though-nai. Something like that...

platinumpt
12-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Mine:Ana Cecilia

Ana: Means "full of grace". my mom chose it cause my grandma's name was Ana Maria.
Cecilia: Means "blind". my dad chose it just because he likes it. And my mom's name is Cecilia too.

I like my name and what it means, but I hate the fact that Ana is the MOST common name in Spanish. And Cecilia is not THAT common, I like it better, cause it sounds cute.
I think my name means "testicles" or something in Russian. I'm not sure though

Tired_Of_You
12-21-2005, 01:19 PM
I have nothing against my first name but it's the rest that bothers me.

It's pronounced A(the way you pronounce the a in apple)-though-nai. Something like that...Sounds like in French. I like your name, but I understand you. I don't like my surname.

Jebus
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
What's your surname?

Oh yeah, my dad wanted to name me something else. Something weird as my last name but mom convinced him otherwise. I can't remember what it was though.

Tired_Of_You
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Proulx. Fortunately, the "lx" is not pronounced, but it's still horrible. Just as my first name, it's way too common in Quebec.

Hahaha, same thing happened with me. My mother told me that my father wanted to call me "Charlotte". He said he didn't remember that, until I obliged him to tell me the truth.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
my middle name is Adonay.
Hahahahaha, what is it with Hispanics? Not only is "Jesus" a perfectly acceptable name, but you can also use the Hebrew word for "God." Actually, that's awesome! Baruch ata Adonai eloheinu melech ha-olam, motherfucker!

Jebus
12-21-2005, 01:42 PM
"Hahahahaha, what is it with Hispanics?"
I don't know. Even for hispanics, Adonay and Alverange aren't common.

"but you can also use the Hebrew word for "God." Actually, that's awesome! Baruch ata Adonai eloheinu melech ha-olam, motherfucker!"
Whoa, I didn't know there was a jewish connotation to it. I have to tell my dad. He hates jews.

I just looked it up. "Praised are You, Adonai, Our God, Ruler of the Universe"
awesome :cool:

XYlophonetreeZ
12-21-2005, 01:48 PM
That's how Jews start all their prayers.

Psyco_girl
12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Ann

Enhanced Mode

JoY
12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Per doesn't sound any hard at all to pronounce :confused:
really, believe me, it is.

coke_a_holic
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
My name is Michael Lawrence because it has the same initials as my departed grandmother whom I never met (Mary Louise). I go by Mike because Michael is a way common name, so people get confused when there are 3 kids named Michael in the class. I'm actually graced with being Mike #1 in that particular class. All the others with more than one Michael, I'm either Mike #2 or Mike #3, though.

Anya82
12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
My name is Michael Lawrence because it has the same initials as my departed grandmother whom I never met (Mary Louise). I go by Mike because Michael is a way common name, so people get confused when there are 3 kids named Michael in the class. I'm actually graced with being Mike #1 in that particular class. All the others with more than one Michael, I'm either Mike #2 or Mike #3, though.
ugh! I hate that!! when i was in high school, there were 6 other "Ana"s in my classroom!! shit!! and we were 2 "Ana Cecilia"s :(

uhmm... platinumpt: did you have to quote me to say that your name means testicles?? :confused: that's kinda creepy

DirtyMagical
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
My name is Katelyn Pochapski.
I wasn't given that name. I chose it myself. My original name is Alyona, but no one would be able to pronounce it in english, so when my family moved to Canada it was automatically changed to something more pronounceable. It was changed to Elaine. Many things are wrong with that name. It would always get associated with Seinfield. And it would always get mixed up with my mom's name(Elena). So then it was decided that I choose my own name and we mail in the change along with the change to the spelling of the family name. I chose the name Katelyn. Now most people call me Kate/Katy/Kitty.
That's my story.

Sunny
12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Magdalena Maria.

after a biblical hooker, yessir.

beepep.

Sowhat
12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Kate Elizabeth Richardson.

mrconeman
12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Ciaran Lyttle.
I've no idea why I was called Ciaran, I like the name though, and this thread has prompted me to find out.

EDIT

Kieran / Keiron / Ciaran
Another testimony to the influence of Irish names in Scotland, Kieran is derived from the Irish Gaelic word "Ciaran" meaning 'dusky' or 'dark skinned'. The name is also found in Brittany, where St Kieran's day is still celebrated on 5 March. In 332 a Kieran was a grandson of Mugghdhorn (after whom the Mountains of Mourne are named). A number of saints were named Ciaran and St Patrick appointed Kieran a bishop in the 5th century. The name is now in the list of top twenty boys' names in Scotland.

I figured it was something Irish.

Jebus
12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
I found out the origin behind Adonay. My dad's name is Adonys thus my middle name became something similar because the nurse suggested it. I'm not sure if my dad knew about the hebrew thing though.

Haha, having someone with the same name in a classroom is sucks. I remeber in elementary school, there was another guy named Edwin and my teacher had a habit of being very sarcastic when she got angry.

Teacher: Edwin, read the next paragraph (pointing at me because I wasn't paying attention)
Me: Me?
Teacher: NO, the other Edwin (sarcastically)
Me: alright
Everyone else: lolz
Me: pwned, bitch (not really)

I'm sure this has happened to other people hundreds of times but it just came to my head and I chucked so I posted it.

All About Eve
12-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Alex, short for Alexander, because I'm cool like that. Except not.

Betty
12-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Michelle Marie

Michelle, just cause it's a nice name... common enough, but really not TOO common. And Marie is the middle name of many a Catholic female. Brother's name is Joseph. I have no qualms with taking a new last name, but hopefully it's a sexy one.

Zack
12-21-2005, 09:13 PM
ZAck

cause they liked that name

ninthlayer
12-21-2005, 09:19 PM
I have no qualms with taking a new last name, but hopefully it's a sexy one.
Want to make up a new one, together?

JohnnyNemesis
12-21-2005, 09:19 PM
ZAck

cause they liked that name

I wish you were dead.

All About Eve
12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
I wish you were dead.

I wish you were naked, but we can't all have what we want, now can we.

Betty
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Want to make up a new one, together?

Awesome idea. The first letter has to be pretty in cursive, cause that's the most important part in a signature.

ninthlayer
12-21-2005, 09:27 PM
That's the only thing I like about my last name, (y)'s are rad in cursive.

Betty
12-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Y could be nice.

B, C, K, L, R, S... those would be decent. Or another M. For "MMM"

sKratch
12-21-2005, 09:46 PM
I think it's cute. My full name is Per Ulrich Deverell Pedersen. Both our names are awkward and too long. :p
oh man my differential equations prof's name was Erik Kjr Pederson

Human
12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
erm, I'm leah
My parents liked the name. that's why they gave it to me....damn, I haven't posted in a while

Sowhat
12-21-2005, 10:24 PM
I wish you were naked, but we can't all have what we want, now can we.
You can with rhohypnol!

All About Eve
12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
You can with rhohypnol!

Eh.. what?

Sowhat
12-21-2005, 10:39 PM
All humour is lost once something has to be explained.

All About Eve
12-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Methinks there wasn't any anyways.

Sowhat
12-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Awesome!

wheelchairman
12-22-2005, 02:02 AM
oh man my differential equations prof's name was Erik Kjr Pederson
lawls his middle name is Dear. Yeah that's very Danish. I knew a man named Jens Jensen though. Those are the best.