PDA

View Full Version : A conversation with God

Jebus
12-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure if this thing is meant to be fiction or just a guy telling lies but it's still an interesting read.
http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

EDIT: The first half really isn't as important as the second half. I encourage you all to read the whole thing before commenting.

killer_queen
12-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Bullshit. I can't understand why people think that God has weaknesses which are special to human being. Maybe I just can't understand why people don't imagine God like I imagine, I don't know.

Rancid_Guyxxx
12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
I only read about half of it before I asked myself how the hell he could remember every single thing he asked "god" and every response god gave him. Unless he wrote it down or he is just going on what he can remember. He makes it look pretty exact though so I don't believe it.

Jebus
12-23-2005, 01:19 PM
To Rancid_Guyxxx:

Well, Iíve always known that if I met god I would have a million questions for him, so I thought, Ďwhy not?í and proceeded with what follows. Youíll have to allow a bit of licence in the detail of the conversation. This was, shall we say, a somewhat unusual occurrence, not to mention just a BIT weird! And yes I was a leetle bit nervous! So if I donít get it word perfect donít whinge! Youíll get the gist I promise.
but the point of the thread is whether or not you believe him. I found some of the things "God" said fascinating. Most likely the author is just using God to express some of his philosophical ideas.

killer_queen
12-23-2005, 01:24 PM
But still, it is kinda lame. My philosophy teacher confused me on these last few days.

H1T_That
12-23-2005, 02:52 PM
i personally dont believe in 'god'

Italia311
12-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I thought that was a cool read. Thanks man. I like that sort of thing.

i personally dont believe in 'god'

Thank you for sharing the most useless peice of information for the day:)

H1T_That
12-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I thought that was a cool read. Thanks man. I like that sort of thing.

Thank you for sharing the most useless peice of information for the day:)

how was it useless when the thread is called 'conversation with god'

i was merely saying i dont believe there is a god to have a conversation with.

coke_a_holic
12-23-2005, 04:13 PM
how was it useless when the thread is called 'conversation with god'

i was merely saying i dont believe there is a god to have a conversation with.
I would like a reason that isn't "because I want to be in charge of my own life!" or something equally lame. I'm not trying to get you to be totally into god (I'm not particularly religious), but I would really like to hear what reasoning you have towards it.

H1T_That
12-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I would like a reason that isn't "because I want to be in charge of my own life!" or something equally lame. I'm not trying to get you to be totally into god (I'm not particularly religious), but I would really like to hear what reasoning you have towards it.

there is no factual evidence the existence of such a being, so i straight away take the side of science.

i personally, or in any case have seen no evidence where an event has taken place which is a 'miracle' or an act of 'god', and therefore i have come to the conclusion he/she/it isnt there, due to lack of evidence.

and also, if people are saying 'god' is the highest being, where did he/she/it come from? who or what 'made' 'god'??

i do however believe that jesus was a real person, however his claim to be son of 'god' i do not beileve.

in all, i believe that all religion has only been put in palce to stop a worldwide panic, people have thier faith to be safe in the knowledge that when they die, they will go onto something better. If people did not have thier faith, a whole suicidal 'whats the point' attitude would be adopted by a large percentage of the population.

coke_a_holic
12-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm glad you're not like "omg, i dnt liek god bcuz chruch is STUPID!!!!1" But, I definitely agree on a few points. The fact that Jesus is portrayed as a white man makes me really skeptical of Christian views, seeing as he was obviously Middle Eastern). I believe that something made the universe, I'm just unsure that it looks like a person. I think it's more of just a concept (I know it sounds kinda lame, but similar to the force in star wars) than a person in the sky who runs our lives. But yeah, it's good that you're not like the athiests at my school who don't believe in any higher beings because they don't want to go to church or feel controlled.

Nirushika6789
12-23-2005, 04:48 PM
The fact that Jesus is portrayed as a white man makes me really skeptical of Christian views, seeing as he was obviously Middle Eastern). .
Yea , I have a big problem with that too
I don't see how anyone can say Jesus was white when he came from a country where the people are clearly black.
I'm guessing there was a lot of racism etc in early christianity so immediately 'the greatest man' was made white
btw I am a Catholic and I believe in God I just feel some of the stuff is a bunch of crap

rainbow_x
12-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Do you know if this person have ever met Rael ? :D

H1T_That
12-23-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm glad you're not like "omg, i dnt liek god bcuz chruch is STUPID!!!!1" But, I definitely agree on a few points. The fact that Jesus is portrayed as a white man makes me really skeptical of Christian views, seeing as he was obviously Middle Eastern). I believe that something made the universe, I'm just unsure that it looks like a person. I think it's more of just a concept (I know it sounds kinda lame, but similar to the force in <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=star%20wars" onmouseover="window.status='star wars'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">star wars</a>) than a person in the sky who runs our lives. But yeah, it's good that you're not like the athiests at my school who don't believe in any higher beings because they don't want to go to church or feel controlled.

im rather glad you feel like this, it thought you were going to come back at me all like 'hey fuck you, god is all great'

i understand what you mean by 'the force' thing..its strange how 'god' is portrayed as some middle aged bloke with a beard in a white cloak with brown sandals, sitting atop some big chair

Nirushika6789
12-23-2005, 04:55 PM
i understand what you mean by 'the force' thing..its strange how 'god' is portrayed as some middle aged bloke with a beard in a white cloak with brown sandals, sitting atop some big chair
yes exactly

If anyone here has seen the cartoon version of Hercules, look at the depiction of Zeus in that...if you know the series you will know what I mean
^

http://www.lambdapsiphi.com/daft/daft/images/zeus1.jpg

nearly all 'magical' ( if you will) men/characters are always portrayed like that ... even if it is untrue and completely made up. Again this is another problem I have... no one has ever came back to tell us what heaven in like, we just believe in it, in some ways its like a little child believing in Santa/Tooth Fairy , they have never seen them but they put so much love/faith into them anyways like us

H1T_That
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
ahhh, hercules lol

also waht you said about heaven has led me to lose faith in mediums and people like that, if they can really contact the dead, they why the fuck have none of them asked about heaven, or waht happens when we die, of if 'god' is real?

Nirushika6789
12-23-2005, 05:13 PM
ahhh, hercules lol

also waht you said about heaven has led me to lose faith in mediums and people like that, if they can really contact the dead, they why the fuck have none of them asked about heaven, or waht happens when we die, of if 'god' is real?
yea... well I never believed in mediums and all ...what a bunch of shit!

I do believe in God but I don't get why there is such a big 'cover up' thing going on in Christianity

All About Eve
12-23-2005, 05:17 PM
I find it funny that God said that ecstacy is a reward for reproducing, when many organisms don't reproduce by sex.

Paint_It_Black
12-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I believe that something made the universe, I'm just unsure that it looks like a person. I think it's more of just a concept (I know it sounds kinda lame, but similar to the force in star wars) than a person in the sky who runs our lives.

Nicely put.

Most likely the author is just using God to express some of his philosophical ideas.

Exactly.

I mostly enjoyed the concept that religion is outdated. It's served its purpose and now needs to be discarded or at least radically redefined because it has gone from a benefit to a hinderance for our species. I've believed this for some time. I also see humans as gods of a sort. We exhibit amazing control of the world around us, our accomplishments are astounding if you view history truly as an observer. Our potential is beyond comprehension. Yet at the same time we are still monkeys that like to throw poop at each other. Fascinating really.

All About Eve
12-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Religion outdated? Religion is a necessary tool for many leaders. Where would the commies of Russia have been without it? Saying that religion is out dated is like saying hammers are outdated.

That_Guy91
12-23-2005, 07:25 PM
http://nothingnice.com/index.php?pageNum_Recordset2=71

I just thought this would be at least a little appropriate for this topic.

T-6005
12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
This is awesome. It really is.

I had a drunken conversation with God once. But he never answered. It was annoying.

Jebus
12-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Seriously, everyone who turned this thread into another discussion of whether or not you believe in God or whether or not he actually talked to God, fucking die! That's completely besides the point of what the author is trying to say.

Religion outdated? Religion is a necessary tool for many leaders. Where would the commies of Russia have been without it? Saying that religion is out dated is like saying hammers are outdated.
You read the article right? Look, religion already served its purpose. It was mainly used as a way to organize civilization and to keep everyone in check back when everything around was a mystery. Now "God" is saying that in order to progress, we have to get rid of it. Religion limits us by saying that we don't have as much control over our environment as what we actually do since God is responsible for creating everything, not man. Religious stands on such things as brain stem research and cloning are holding us back from reaching our technological potential. In order really understand and manipulate the world around us, we have to believe that there isn't a God shunning us for every small thing we do. If we're still doing stuff for rewards and punishments (heaven and hell for example), there's no way we'll be able to mature. I like the analogy "God" used.
Its very akin to a childís relationship with its parents. The awe and worship must disappear before the child can become an adult.

All About Eve
12-24-2005, 12:32 AM
I suppose I should have elaborated more. One of my points was going to be what TTIG said, so I won't restate that. Another is that I think that although religion is necessary, it should relate to the present. Example, I think there should be the Ten Commandments version 3.0 (we're on 2.0 since the first set was accidentily dropped) with some of the rules either modified or even taken out.

H1T_That
12-24-2005, 03:23 AM
religion is the reasoning behind 90% of terrorist attacks and wars, where one religion clashes with another, this for me is a viable reason why religion shouldnt be in place.

If religion werent in place however, there would be a worldwide panic, all of these people who live thier lives doing good to secure a place in heaven finding out there was no heaven.

it is a bad idea for humans to think themselves as 'gods' we are equal and should have no say over our peers.

Homer
12-24-2005, 01:51 PM
This is a pretty interesting article. Wether or not it's real, it just seems to make sense. When you think about it, religion is of course begining to become outdated. Religious views don't change, while our society does (you can see what I mean by that). The views are basically holding us back. It's not like if we got rid of religion that everything would become chaotic, in fact it might even help the human race evolve faster. This article really just makes a lot of sense in some ways, and it really made me think.

Oh and we already have a 'Ten Commandments 3.0', they're called laws.

H1T_That
12-24-2005, 02:37 PM
It's not like if we got rid of religion that everything would become chaotic, in fact it might even help the human race evolve faster. This article really just makes a lot of sense in some ways, and it really made me think.

you wanna try and tell a few million catholics god isnt real?

it would be extremly chaotic if religion were to go.

fair enough if it was progressivley stopped over a few hundred years, but it isnt likley

WebDudette
12-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Firstly, thanks for posting that Jebus I really enjoyed it wether it is fiction or not it was really good.

I want to believe it but find it fairly hard.

This will probably be a tad bit hard to understand because I have a hard time explaining my self on things like this.

One of the main reasons I've never believed in God is because there is no plausible explanation for how he was created. He stated he was created through evolution witch I can believe but who created him.

I believe that religion is holding us back as long as we believe that we are going to go to heaven or hell when we die and that's the very limit of what we can do stops us from advancing to far. (I'am sorry I can't explain it how I would like to.)

This sounds lame but I admire some of you for being able to express your thoughts so easily (or so it seems). I'll try to explain myself some more later.

Homer
12-24-2005, 02:59 PM
it would be extremly chaotic if religion were to go.
fair enough if it was progressivley stopped over a few hundred years, but it isnt likley

I didn't say that God wasn't real (how did you figure that I said that?), I said that religion is past its time. I mean, people can still have their beliefs, it's just that we should stop relying on religion and using it as guidlines on the way we should live. That's where the 'past its time' comes into play. If we continued to live how our religion tells us to, we would advance a lot more slowly in our evolution.

H1T_That
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I didn't say that God wasn't real (how did you figure that I said that?), I said that religion is past its time. I mean, people can still have their beliefs, it's just that we should stop relying on religion and using it as guidlines on the way we should live. That's where the 'past its time' comes into play. If we continued to live how our religion tells us to, we would advance a lot more slowly in our evolution.

where did i say you said god wasnt real...READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE YOU COMMENT

you were saying religion is holding us back....and i was saying it would be virtually impossilbe to get rid of it, as there are too many stong followers

Homer
12-25-2005, 10:27 AM
where did i say you said god wasnt real...READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE YOU COMMENT

you were saying religion is holding us back....and i was saying it would be virtually impossilbe to get rid of it, as there are too many stong followers

I mean, people can still have their beliefs, it's just that we should stop relying on religion and using it as guidlines on the way we should live.

READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE YOU COMMENT.